Supreme commander calls on two sides to talk

Lite Beer

The stance of the NHRC is correct. This administration seems bent on taking as hard a line as possible. They should stop and look at the people on the streets - who are the Thai people - and ask themselves how they can protect them from the continuous mini-army vigilante attacks. The administration is supposed to protect its own people, not look the other way when atrocities are committed. The army has been consistent with the balance of their argument. Unfortunately, the ones who are entrusted with the weapons and the responsibility to protect the people is the police. And the police by their actions have shown themselves woefully unworthy of that responsibility.

"The stance of the NHRC is correct. This administration seems bent on taking as hard a line as possible."

Mmm, suthep:

"The people cannot negotiate ... there is no win-win situation, there is only win,"

The Government:

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has assigned caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana to hold meetings with all sides regarding the Election Commission's proposal for the election to be postponed, PM’s secretary general Suranand Vejjajiva said yesterday. Phongthep will invite representatives of five groups - the EC, political parties, people who want the election to go ahead, people who are against the February 2 election, and the Cabinet, according to Suranand.

However, PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday ruled out his attendance at any talks on a possible postponement of the election. He insisted his group would not engage in any such talks with the government until the protesters had "won the fight"

Oh , you're right of course, much too hard a line...........................coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanasak also expressed sadness over the death of one People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protester and injuries sustained by 40 others after an explosive was thrown at a march led by PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban on Banthad Thong Road.

"I am worried and do not want anyone to be hurt. If there's anything we can do together, we should."

Anyone who supports these attacks on protesters is nuts and twisted as well. For the people who say they probably bombed themselves to gain sympathy, you are insane.

"We can't help ourselves, but by God, any foreigner better not try either."The general's xenophobia is quite apparent, and is sadly symptomatic of a bigger problem.It reminds me of the scores of government schools that hire foreign English teachers as token native speakers, but then relegate them to an obscure corner of the program, not allowing them to be part of the planning, execution, or evaluation process. They are only tolerated when they just keep their mouths shut (especially about program improvement) and just do their job. Xenophobia runs deeply just below the surface in this culture, particularly pervasive among those in top positions.
Very accurate summation indeed. Working at Rajamangala University for 3 years. I was often asked to present ideas on BE programs, best practice, formulation of English curriculum and then the Dean would thank me very much.... Until Thailand can start taking responsibility for their actions and except losing face and seeing that it is only human to make mistakes and or receive any kind of foreign assistance, this will unfortunately hold them back as a nation. The middle road must be found by all.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps your orthography or ideas were unACCEPTable

Many foreigners have misconceptions about the Thai educational system.They somehow hope it is to develop critical thinking,logic and challenging exisiting ideas as in the west.

If the status quo wanted an articulate well educated Isan they would encourage different systems.

Well I can't challenge that logic ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So in effect, the NHRC is asking for amnesty for Suthep? So far, all the violence has been from the side of the protesters - such as storming government offices, cutting water and electricity to government offices and residences of government officials, preventing persons from registering for the election on the 2nd of February, beating up a taxi driver, locking down Bangkok. So how on earth does Niran expect the government to take responsibility for the loss of lives and injuries to protesters and other groups when it has not been established that those acts were indeed government instigated. Furthermore, it seems implausible for the government to do such acts as it has always been the policy of Yingluck to NOT engage with the protesters.

"In a related development, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday proposed that the caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra administration take a softer stance and not try to arrest PDRC leaders because that could lead to the situation getting out of control.

NHRC commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara said the government would be responsible for the loss of lives and injuries to protesters and other groups. He said the government should seek to hold a dialogue instead of threatening to arrest protest leaders. This would reduce tension and violence, he said."

• Like 2

Every single Thai person of voting age will have their say on Feb 2nd. Let them have the final word.

You know that's not the case

This election is massively flawed

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK, I'll fall for it. How is the Election massively flawed? Please don't tell me it's because some of the southern provinces do not have candidates registered.

How will it ever be accepted without the opposition participating?

Not just the 28 southern constituencies but the 22 with one candidate.

The government has cases hovering over the vast majority of their MPs that could have them all banned.

There is ongoing violence on a daily basis

Yingkuck says vote her out. How can this be?

If the election goes ahead the best that can happen will be a neutered caretaker government and endless failed bielections

Every single Thai person of voting age will have their say on Feb 2nd. Let them have the final word.

OK, I'll fall for it. How is the Election massively flawed? Please don't tell me it's because some of the southern provinces do not have candidates registered.

The government has cases hovering over the vast majority of their MPs that could have them all banned.

If the election goes ahead the best that can happen will be a neutered caretaker government and endless failed bielections

I think that if PTP polls less than 50% they should all move to Millwall

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Both sides are way past the point of talking. The courts will now decide about Thai immediate future.

Wrong! The military will decide just like before.

I think the days of the Army and Courts are coming to an end. Their influence is fading in a modern world where everybody has access to information.

The whisper to Suthep should not happen. He should be marched off. Everybody has seen countless offers of talks to him, by vaious bodies but he is not interested. He has said it loud enough many time.

Yingluck has asked and asked, the business group, and the army. He's got to go as a Coup will make things one hundred times worse.

A battle for democracy and freedom from dictatorship will be fought much more robustly than a small mob of elitists fighing just for a place at the trough. It will also attract the numbers required and the support of other nations in its aims.

Dreamland is Thailand if you think the population wants to turn back the clock to 1960. sheer dreamland and if the army come in, then the real protests will get underway.

It's entirely the business of the ( anti) Democrat party whether they take part in the election. There isn't a democracy in the world that gives individual parties a veto over elections.

Most of the so-called 'cases' against MPs are political. You only have to look at which party is constantly targeted. The judges are part of the HiSo anti-democracy plot.

There's no doubt who is behind the shootings and bombings on the streets of Bangkok, and it surely isn't the government.

" Yingluck says vote her out. How can this be?" Errr....if more people vote for another party?

The current government has caretaker status until the election. After the election, whoever wins will be the legitimate, democratically elected, government of Thailand.

Roll on the election, and let the real Thai People have their say.

• Like 2

The stance of the NHRC is correct. This administration seems bent on taking as hard a line as possible. They should stop and look at the people on the streets - who are the Thai people - and ask themselves how they can protect them from the continuous mini-army vigilante attacks. The administration is supposed to protect its own people, not look the other way when atrocities are committed. The army has been consistent with the balance of their argument. Unfortunately, the ones who are entrusted with the weapons and the responsibility to protect the people is the police. And the police by their actions have shown themselves woefully unworthy of that responsibility.

"The stance of the NHRC is correct. This administration seems bent on taking as hard a line as possible."

Mmm, suthep:

"The people cannot negotiate ... there is no win-win situation, there is only win,"

The Government:

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has assigned caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana to hold meetings with all sides regarding the Election Commission's proposal for the election to be postponed, PM’s secretary general Suranand Vejjajiva said yesterday. Phongthep will invite representatives of five groups - the EC, political parties, people who want the election to go ahead, people who are against the February 2 election, and the Cabinet, according to Suranand.

However, PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday ruled out his attendance at any talks on a possible postponement of the election. He insisted his group would not engage in any such talks with the government until the protesters had "won the fight"

Oh , you're right of course, much too hard a line...........................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2220208811 width=32 height=24>

THIS is the government that you are defending? You seem to be hogging all the good weed man, puff puff give, puff puff give...

I don't think anyone can predict how this is going to play out but if the protests continue and then there is prolonged violence and civil disruption that the police can't stop then the army would ultimately have no choice but to step in and clean up the mess.,

Tweet of the day for me was

"It's about time Thais recognize the obvious truth that appointing a committee of elderly elite men has NEVER solved ANYTHING"

Its a big clear out of the backers of both sides that is needed. Drag them into the limelight and expose them for the cowards they are.

There are some great OP eds in some of the Thai press and they are getting quite brave in their condemnation of the forces, Justice system and privallege snouts always at the trough.

Now the numbers are dwindling I think some of the red hot heads will come out and set about the remainder. For that reason the Army need to get Suthep off the streets and show some committment to the country and democracy for the first time in their history

"We can't help ourselves, but by God, any foreigner better not try either."The general's xenophobia is quite apparent, and is sadly symptomatic of a bigger problem.It reminds me of the scores of government schools that hire foreign English teachers as token native speakers, but then relegate them to an obscure corner of the program, not allowing them to be part of the planning, execution, or evaluation process. They are only tolerated when they just keep their mouths shut (especially about program improvement) and just do their job. Xenophobia runs deeply just below the surface in this culture, particularly pervasive among those in top positions.

Let's call a spade a spade - it's good old fashioned racism that many of these people in positions of power suffer from.

Last time I looked there were approx 40 other parties registering candidates.

I'm sorry, but the term opposition could not logically be applied to a failed political party that refuses to contest elections - they're not worthy of the term.

(p.s. courtesy of abhisits changing of the constitution with regard to the organic act on elections, there is no such thing as a failed by-election with only one candidate. The new rules state that the by-election will be held twice in the event of one party registration. On the third and final by-election vote the candidate that has registered at that constituency wins the election. Ironic, eh?)

Edited by fab4

Mmm, suthep:

The Government:

Oh , you're right of course, much too hard a line...........................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2220208811 width=32 height=24>

THIS is the government that you are defending? You seem to be hogging all the good weed man, puff puff give, puff puff give...

Whereas your considered input on the political situation in Thailand is............................tuzki-bunny-emoticon-044.gif

The government has offered to hold discussions. Suthep has stated that he "won't negotiate and he won't compromise." So why is this army officer stating that the "government" should try to hold talks with the protesters. Suthep has made talks a non-starter.

Welcome to Lilliputian Thainess!

Not only the Army but also the Human Rights Commission too want to stick their finger in this mess?

BACKGROUND OF A PROTEST LEADER

Suthep had four family members in politics. This was before the MP Democrats resigned en mass to protest.

Suthep is the most powerful man in the Democrat Party as he controls the southern MPs. Abhisit knows that.

In 1995, Suthep’s Sor Por Kor 4-01 land scheme scandal led to the downfall of the Democrat-led Chuan Leekpai government.

As a Minister of Agriculture he resigned under threat of being indicted.... Of course. there’s the rubber shenanigans during the Abhisit Vejjajiva-led government... and the Palm Oil Scheme.

That is a partial background of a man who “claims” he does not want to be PM.

In 2010 he publicly, asserted to be fully responsible for ordering the crackdown of the Reds in which nearly 100 people died, including, nurses, journalists and innocent civilians inside a Wat. The assassination of General Se Dang took place during a televised interview.

Given the nature and amount of such events, it would be difficult to look the other way and just slap Suthep on the wrist.

YS has been rather compliant to all the demands of the protesters (this is not in her defense but a fact) over the almost 2 1/2 months the protesters felt assisted of special rights and privileges to inconvenience every body else in the city.

Looking at them objectively, the protesters are a minority when compared to the bulk of the 13 million inhabitants of Bangkok.

Suthep has a vested interest:: to beat the rap and go to the top of the trough by deposing YS.

On the other hand, YS has a vested interest in being re-elected in the upcoming elections. Which she will.

The Dems cannot say the elections are rigged. They unilaterally decided en mass not to participate.

Their only exit strategy is to involve the traditionally Democrat friendly Army. The army is the solution to ending this quagmire... and, most likely, they will do it.

Do we get a feeling of deja vue?

Thainess and feudalistic DNA at their worst.

Edited by pisico
  • Like 2

The government has offered to hold discussions. Suthep has stated that he "won't negotiate and he won't compromise." So why is this army officer stating that the "government" should try to hold talks with the protesters. Suthep has made talks a non-starter.

Welcome to Lilliputian Thainess!

Not only the Army but also the Human Rights Commission too want to stick their finger in this mess?

BACKGROUND OF A PROTEST LEADER

Suthep had four family members in politics. This was before the MP Democrats resigned en mass to protest.

Suthep is the most powerful man in the Democrat Party as he controls the southern MPs. Abhisit knows that.

In 1995, Suthep’s Sor Por Kor 4-01 land scheme scandal led to the downfall of the Democrat-led Chuan Leekpai government.

As a Minister of Agriculture he resigned under threat of being indicted.... Of course. there’s the rubber shenanigans during the Abhisit Vejjajiva-led government... and the Palm Oil Scheme.

That is a partial background of a man who “claims” he does not want to be PM.

In 2010 he publicly, asserted to be fully responsible for ordering the crackdown of the Reds in which nearly 100 people died, including, nurses, journalists and innocent civilians inside a Wat. The assassination of General Se Dang took place during a televised interview.

Given the nature and amount of such events, it would be difficult to look the other way and just slap Suthep on the wrist.

YS has been rather compliant to all the demands of the protesters (this is not in her defense but a fact) over the almost 2 1/2 months the protesters felt assisted of special rights and privileges to inconvenience every body else in the city.

Looking at them objectively, the protesters are a minority when compared to the bulk of the 13 million inhabitants of Bangkok.

Suthep has a vested interest:: to beat the rap and go to the top of the trough by deposing YS.

On the other hand, YS has a vested interest in being re-elected in the upcoming elections. Which she will.

The Dems cannot say the elections are rigged. They unilaterally decided en mass not to participate.

Their only exit strategy is to involve the traditionally Democrat friendly Army. The army is the solution to ending this quagmire... and, most likely, they will do it.

Do we get a feeling of deja vue?

Thainess and feudalistic DNA at their worst.

Thanks, great post but now please give us the run down/ history of the other party...thumbsup.gif

Edited by fullcave
  • Like 1

This was a warning, stop playing kids or else . . .

A totally meaningless warning I may add. Like the Community Officer in the UK telling the kids to stop kicking the ball against the neighbours wall.

There's only one father these kids will listen too and so far, he is keeping schtum.

• Like 1

The army and military need to keep their noses clean in this civil dispute and conflict.

With the PDRC losing serious steam and the government more than willing to talk and work out a solution, the current slowdown of confrontation provides an opening to the mainstream leaders of all sides to sit, talk, moderate and find some common peaceful ground.

Abhisit needs today to clearly and publically state his support of discussions by each side while himself stepping aside.

As no Thai appears acceptable to any side or involved group, the Thais are just going to have to accept a cool head outside mediator, perhaps from Japan but certainly not from China. The United States is not acceptable because it has stated repeatedly that it supports the legitimate democratically elected government, which is a strange basis to exclude Washington, but the fact is the US is excluded.

Perhaps the Secretary General of Asean, Le Luong Minh might be someone to consider.

what a load of crap no way will someone outside be allowed or wanted

USA and rest should stay out of it and look at poo in their own garden

and democratically electric govermentcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The army and military need to keep their noses clean in this civil dispute and conflict.

With the PDRC losing serious steam and the government more than willing to talk and work out a solution, the current slowdown of confrontation provides an opening to the mainstream leaders of all sides to sit, talk, moderate and find some common peaceful ground.

Abhisit needs today to clearly and publically state his support of discussions by each side while himself stepping aside.

As no Thai appears acceptable to any side or involved group, the Thais are just going to have to accept a cool head outside mediator, perhaps from Japan but certainly not from China. The United States is not acceptable because it has stated repeatedly that it supports the legitimate democratically elected government, which is a strange basis to exclude Washington, but the fact is the US is excluded.

Perhaps the Secretary General of Asean, Le Luong Minh might be someone to consider.

what a load of crap no way will someone outside be allowed or wanted

USA and rest should stay out of it and look at poo in their own garden

and democratically electric govermentcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

We got your self-embarrassing post the first time. Technical problems are not unknown here for both the website and the poster in this thinking.

• Like 1

There is no reason for talk when rule of law does not apply equally to all. Talk on ?????? How to seize power with impunity? How to stage judicial coup with impunity? How to shutdown Thailand with impunity? How to force people to stop work and join protest with impunity? How to betray the behind the scene agreements? How to incite with impunity? How to lie, distort, twist, smear, mislead? The list goes on. Send from my Mobile

That is exactly what happened in 2010, the reds did all of that. Just ask the terrorists who became MP's.....As for today, most of what you state here is rather twisted and distorted, much like yourself....