Bangkok Hotel Advice amist Protests

bangarang

Hey Guys,

I am traveling tomorrow to bangkok to pick up my daughters passport at the US embassy. I will be staying 3 nights but im trying to determine the best spot to get a hotel at the moment. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Airport Link Stations as I will be flying through BKK. I want to avoid the protest areas as much as possible so I was thinking Phaya Thai station might be the best as there is an express link to the airport when I want to leave. Also Maakasan would be good but not sure if thats too close to the protest areas since its near Asok.

Any reports on how busy these stations are with the shut down? Im thinking they might be good place to stay as they are both connected to BTS, MRT, Airport Link so I dont have to worry about Taxis.

Also, I havent seen on the US Embassy website but any tips on traveling to the embassy? I heard Lumphini is another protest site and I know thats right next to the embassy so I dont know if its recommended to take an alternate route. Everytime I ask via email they tell me to check the website and dont give me a straight answer. I mean honestly... they cant tell me if its safe to travel to the embassy amidst the protests being that they have to commute every day? Must have some strict policies on answering non visa related questions.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't discount using a taxi. They know the areas that are blocked off and jammed and can get you around. My friend was in Bangkok a few weeks ago. The BTS station at Ekamai was jammed and so were many streets. A scooter taxi got him over to the embassy.

Thanks guys. Less responses than I expected but thanks to those that did. Just booked Bangkok City Hotel (between Phayathai & Ratchatewi bts), and my wife called and said protesters were about 500m away but walking from PhayaThai station (10 min) wouldn't be a problem. Apparently some guests still shop at MBK without a problem.

Just heard about the blasts at Victory Monument, im just hoping this area is good for the next 3 nights. Will let you guys know if I encounter anything. Leaving for airport soon.