Fast train BKK - Pattaya, how much can you pay maximum to use it ?

If it got me from downtown BKK to Pattaya in 1 hour, I would happily pay 1000 THB and consider it a bargain. (even if dual pricing was applied)

If it was Airport to Pattaya in 45 minutes, then maybe 800 baht.

Whatever is least hassle to be honest.

• Like 1

The Nok Air flight from Don Muang to Hua Hin costs B1,020 +, it amazes me that people will hang around in the airport for 2 hours waiting for the 30 minute flight when you can drive there in the same time, but they do. So B1,000 to Pattaya seems like a price they will have in mind. For me, a B500 price would be reasonable. Only problem is the taxi mafia in Pattaya as the train station is some distance away from the city centre. The taxi mafia used to charge B200 just to take you 1km from the bus station to the dolphin round about, whilst the bus fare from Bangkok to the bus station was only B80. What is more important is not the high speed train fare to Pattaya or Rayong, but the potential B500 taxi fare from the station to your hotel or condo.

• Like 1

There already is one I use it regularly, 35 baht, takes 4 hours, which is faster than my normal method of travel..push bike.

Actually it can travel VERY fast but has to wait at some places.

Reclining seats, actually collapsing, and hostess service, beer and all manner of Thai delicacies.

Only problem is, as it nears Bangkok (Phyathai BTS), one has to share with nubile young college girls , who are apt to squash

up on the seat with me to practise their English, most distressing.

....very drole, but I guess 'many a true word', will apply-too....sounds good, mind advising me how to obtain further details....

If it got me from downtown BKK to Pattaya in 1 hour, I would happily pay 1000 THB and consider it a bargain. (even if dual pricing was applied)

If it was Airport to Pattaya in 45 minutes, then maybe 800 baht.

Whatever is least hassle to be honest.

At least somebody with a brain here :-)

As all the other ones are poor cheap charlies we will be two in this train :-)

I can pay 1,000,000 Ugandan Dollars

If you said Shillings we might have believed you......

Just some info to throw into the discussion.

The base rate being used by the MOT & OTP for ticket cost estimations for the proposed HSR lines is 2 baht per km for standard class. So the base fare to Pattaya would be less than 300 baht.

The proposed 221km Eastern HSR line would have the following stations;

1) Makkasan CAT,

2) Lat Krabang (interchange with ARL),

3) Chachoengsao,

4) Chonburi,

5) Pattaya,

6) Rayong

It will use the existing 28km airport line (ARL) which is currently designed for 160 km/h operation. Though the HSR line will be designed for 250km/h max. Operating speeds will most likely be more like 200-220km/h.

Had the Dems won the 2011 election this line would already be 2 years into construction as it was their priority line to start it by the end of 2011 while other HSR were being further evaluated. Everyone agrees that it is the line which will generate the most revenue given the mix of tourism, industry and local pop on the eastern seaboard. The number of people traveling just between BKK & chonburi each day is huge. The pax potential given the time savings.

Detailed designed is currently due to be completed by Sept 2014. The previous construction timetable was to start at the start of 2015 (said to take 3 years but realistically make that 4) but who knows now.

This line was first proposed in 1996!

• 7 months later...

Just some info to throw into the discussion.

The base rate being used by the MOT & OTP for ticket cost estimations for the proposed HSR lines is 2 baht per km for standard class. So the base fare to Pattaya would be less than 300 baht.

The proposed 221km Eastern HSR line would have the following stations;

1) Makkasan CAT,

2) Lat Krabang (interchange with ARL),

3) Chachoengsao,

4) Chonburi,

5) Pattaya,

6) Rayong

It will use the existing 28km airport line (ARL) which is currently designed for 160 km/h operation. Though the HSR line will be designed for 250km/h max. Operating speeds will most likely be more like 200-220km/h.

Had the Dems won the 2011 election this line would already be 2 years into construction as it was their priority line to start it by the end of 2011 while other HSR were being further evaluated. Everyone agrees that it is the line which will generate the most revenue given the mix of tourism, industry and local pop on the eastern seaboard. The number of people traveling just between BKK & chonburi each day is huge. The pax potential given the time savings.

Detailed designed is currently due to be completed by Sept 2014. The previous construction timetable was to start at the start of 2015 (said to take 3 years but realistically make that 4) but who knows now.

This line was first proposed in 1996!

Rayong HSR line update on detailed design

A little update on the detailed design front. Given that we subsequently had the coup and a change in govt policy regarding HSR (essentially for the next govt) this line is not a priority project as it previously was. However, the detailed design is still being undertaken. From what I understand it will be completed by the end of the year.

Pattaya station render

10537211_10203975207673320_2226288410877

Travel times (mins) and Distances (km) between each station

10609453_951100511572843_864979008484364

As the line will use the ARL it will be limited to 160km/h in BKK and then a max of 250 km/h beyong the airport. A spur line for direct services to the airport will also be built

10612901_951088224907405_410259780136862

• Like 1

The current price for the Pattaya to Bangkok Train is a cool 31 baht. a delightful 4 hour journey.Who needs a fast train anyway? i would hate to be in a rush with all the " fun and socializing " on board the train it's great fun! They did try a " turbo diesel " train Pattaya to Bangkok at the weekends about a year ago it was first class aircon and advertised as " Non Stop " ( lol ) at a price of 200 baht. I think they shelved the idea as it was outrageously overpriced.

I often catch the 31 baht train to Bangkok and it's still a busy little train !!!

Casey Jones wai.gif

There isn't a need for a fast train between Pattaya and Bangkok, it only takes 2 hours by road.

What Thailand needs is a fast train link between Singapore and Thailand, stopping at Johor Bahru-Kuala Lumpur- Hat Yai and so on, it would be amazing, but we probably won't ge to see it maybe our grandsons will.

I would have thought the smart thing would be for it to stop at the airport rather that make people with luggage screw about.

Hello " My friend " ...

Actually the Airport train does link to one of the stops very close to the Bangkok to Pattaya train ( 31 baht ) but the problem is there is only one train a day out of Hua Lampong ( 06.55 ) Monday to Friday and just so you all know that the reason why the train takes about 4 hours is because it has about 35 stops on this line.( But still the superior way to travel in my eyes......) Luckily in my life " i have never been in a rush to go anywhere "

Farang Jaidee x