Is there a limit on how much of my GBPs I can take to UK ?

Any amount over 10.000 Euros has to be declared to ukba or can be confiscated whilst you then have to prove the origin of cash is legitimate .

in UK the currency is GBP pounds sterling not Euros

hence the law is that you can take 10,000 GBP out of UK without fear of confiscation or proof of origin or declaration to UKBA

however this does not apply here as wineman wants to take his money back to UK

Edited by blackman

Please get the facts right, the UK website shows the amount in Euros.... Bringing cash into the UK

If you bring €10,000 or more in cash, or the equivalent in another currency, to the UK from outside the European Union (EU) you must declare it.

Cash includes:

• notes and coins
  • bankers’ drafts
  • cheques of any kind (including travellers’ cheques)

If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

• Like 2

Any amount over 10.000 Euros has to be declared to ukba or can be confiscated whilst you then have to prove the origin of cash is legitimate .

hence the law is that you can take 10,000 GBP out of UK without fear of confiscation or proof of origin or declaration to UKBA

Sorry but( some) EU law applies to the UK, it is 10 K Euro, not 10 K £

You cannot take 10 K Euro out of or in to the UK without risk of confiscation if you cannot prove it` s origin.

You can get questioned on less than that.

UK border control/customs really don`t like cash.

Please get the facts right, the UK website shows the amount in Euros.... Bringing cash into the UK

If you bring €10,000 or more in cash, or the equivalent in another currency, to the UK from outside the European Union (EU) you must declare it.

Cash includes:

• notes and coins
  • bankers’ drafts
  • cheques of any kind (including travellers’ cheques)

If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

ok , i stand corrected. sorry

but a UK government website in Euros?

its worse than i thought over there

In this instant to comply with EU law, more to the point do as instructed by the USA who have similar rules ($10,000).

I also think there is similar law on amounts you can take in or out of Thailand (Uncle Sam did a lot of arm twisting).

Purpose of which is to stop money laundering, shipping of ill gotten gains from drugs, theft and tax avoidance, etc.

There is no limit to how much you can transfer but any amount over €10,000 must be declared further more if asked (or searched) any substantial amount (not sure but I think it is over €1,000) you may be asked to prove it is legit also.

Best advice is to transfer it by bank transfer because if you lose it or get robbed in transit no way will any insurance pay out.

But if you are going to carry large amount of cash, I advise carrying receipts &/or bank statements to prove it is legit, if you are unable the give a good explanation to the legitimacy of any cash it may be taken from you until such times that you can prove it's legitimacy, or face a fine of up to £5,000.

What about any restrictions taking foreign currency out of Thailand? There used to be no limit, but I believe that has changed.

BRINGING CURRENCY IN OR OUT OF THAILAND

Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

Failure to declare upon bringing currency that exceeds the amount restricted by law or its equivalent out of or into Thailand or making any false declaration to a Customs Officer is a criminal offence.

For Thai currency (Baht), any person can bring total amount not exceed THB500,000 to any Thailand’s bounded countries and not exceed THB50,000 to any destination countries.

More than that mentioned amount, you have to declare to a Customs Officer or exchange to others currency before depart from Thailand.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/bringing-currency-in-or-out-of-thailand

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand foreign currency bank notes in an aggregate amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

Sorry but( some) EU law applies to the UK, it is 10 K Euro, not 10 K £

You cannot take 10 K Euro out of or in to the UK without risk of confiscation if you cannot prove it` s origin.

You can get questioned on less than that.

UK border control/customs really don`t like cash.

What's meant by terms like prove its "origins"? Do they want a bank withdrawal slip or do they want to know how one acquired the money? I mean, most people acquire their money from working so do they want to see SE kinda proof you have a job or business?

And the amount s are pretty small...10 or 20k euros or dollars isn't much these days and some people just prefer cash and shouldn't have prove anything about why they prefer it.

• Like 1

What about any restrictions taking foreign currency out of Thailand? There used to be no limit, but I believe that has changed.

there was always a limit.

I believe it is $20,000.00 or equivalent.

As for taking dough into the UK, I see this 'law' of anything below 10K Euro is ok, but I'd be willing to bet if for any reason you was carrying say 8k and they found it on you would get a grilling as to where it come from and what's it for etc. Guaranteed.

I wouldn't want to carry no more than a couple of K myself. Then you can tell them it's for a night out in London :-)

As for taking dough into the UK, I see this 'law' of anything below 10K Euro is ok, but I'd be willing to bet if for any reason you was carrying say 8k and they found it on you would get a grilling as to where it come from and what's it for etc. Guaranteed.

I still don't see where they're coming from! What <deleted> business of some government worker dweeb is it of theirs why I have cash I have earned or made in some legal enterprise on my person? (As long as I declare it if over a certain amount...disagree with this too but can't fight everything.) Maybe I'm one if the people who don't like paying the 150 fee and bad conversion rates from ATM's and exchange booths so carry cash. Maybe I don't like paying credit card fees and high interest rates so I carry cash...whatever. The point is I've got the cash and unless there is some reasonable believe or evidence it was obtained illegally I should be able to cross international borders with it unmolested.

I still don't see where they're coming from! What <deleted> business of some government worker dweeb is it of theirs why I have cash I have earned or made in some legal enterprise on my person? (As long as I declare it if over a certain amount...disagree with this too but can't fight everything.) Maybe I'm one if the people who don't like paying the 150 fee and bad conversion rates from ATM's and exchange booths so carry cash. Maybe I don't like paying credit card fees and high interest rates so I carry cash...whatever. The point is I've got the cash and unless there is some reasonable believe or evidence it was obtained illegally I should be able to cross international borders with it unmolested.

In the unlikely event that you get stopped, you can argue the toss with HM Customs and Excise at your leisure.

• Like 1