How would Thailand be any different than your home country?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which thai people you refer 2 ?

Many people, but no one forced you to response, so...

I guess it is ok for people to ask about Thailand, but it is not ok for Thai people to ask about other country. But, then they like to say Thai people are uneducated and uninformed about things.

• Like 2

I guess it is ok for people to ask about Thailand, but it is not ok for Thai people to ask about other country. But, then they like to say Thai people are uneducated and uninformed about things.

Very sorry for the unhelpful posts.

So your question is about what is different in other countries?

The question is so overwhelming, I don't know where to begin.

There are many differences: mentality, social structures, beliefs, organisation.

I am from Europe, and I feel the most important differences with Thailand are the high cost of labor / high living costs in Europe (both are related), the high tax and social burdens in Europe and consumerism. In Europe we also have a lot of welfare, the people benefiting from it have mostly to thank Europe's colonial history for it.

Interested to read an explanation of your last sentence....very interested.

There are many differences: mentality, social structures, beliefs, organisation.

I am from Europe, and I feel the most important differences with Thailand are the high cost of labor / high living costs in Europe (both are related), the high tax and social burdens in Europe and consumerism. In Europe we also have a lot of welfare, the people benefiting from it have mostly to thank Europe's colonial history for it.

It seemed people go all the trouble to be in Thailand, leaving their friend, family, and ways of life. Just about everyday I see question about visa extension, they have to leaveThailand get their visa stamp of some sort to stay in Thailand.

Actually, I am flattered that people like to come to Thailand and stay in Thailand. I think a lot of Thai people don't get why farangs ( I try not use the word farang but it seemed fit better in a sentence) would want to be in Thailand than their country. In Thais mind, western countries have more to offer than Thai country.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai
  • Like 1

Interested to read an explanation of your last sentence....very interested.

It's simple - the industrial power of Europe has been built for a significant part on resources provided by the colonies and later on provided by powerful multinationals - the most easily understandable example is oil, which has fueled wars and economic growth in the West...

So in the sixties we had the biggest economic boom (of course the Marshall plan also helped a lot) and even the conservatives were ready to grant large welfare subsidies.

That was only possible because globally, Europe was extracting wealth from the rest of the world to fuel its economy.

Today, economic flows have balanced out and we see the welfare state isn't sustainable anymore, people get crushed by the system.

• Like 2

In Norway we pay 30% tax of our income to the government..

- Some of this taxmoney is a kind of saving for retirement so that we wil get paid a small monthly salare after we retire.

- Some of the taxmoney is to secure us free healtcare if we need a sergery etc. but we still have to wait up to 1 year for sergery, so maybe we die anyway sad.png

We may have astronomic salaries compared to a Thai, but to rent a small 1 bedroom apartment in the capital will cost 50.000 thb pr month. So we are only rich when in Thailand smile.png

We are not brougt up to take care of our famliles, and a parent would most likely not accept any help anyway. The elder takes pride in providing for them self and when time comes they cannot take care of them self anymore they move to the center for old and dement people. This i guess is a BIG difference from Thai culture.

We are lucky to have 5 weeks paid vacation every year.

There are of course MANY more differences, but now it's bedtime for this fellow

Have a good day smile.png

• Like 1

It seemed people go all the trouble to be in Thailand, leaving their friend, family, and ways of life. Just about everyday I see question about visa extension, they have to leaveThailand get their visa stamp of some sort to stay in Thailand.

Actually, I am flattered that people like to come to Thailand and stay in Thailand. I think a lot of Thai people don't get why farangs ( I try not use the word farang but it seemed fit better in a sentence) would want to be in Thailand than their country. In Thais mind, western countries have more to offer than Thai country.

western and also some eastern countries have indeed more to offer than Thailand. for the retired Farang they offer in comparison to Thailand

-infinitely higher taxes and fees of all sorts,

-much higher day-to-day living expenses.

I guess the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Form my point of view, Western countries are offering more education, heathcare and welfare than Thailand.
But also less opportunities, less well-being, less freedom, less service and much more taxes and social burden.

One thing Thai people have trouble to understand, is that in Europe, one is mostly alone. As soon as you require the professional help of another person, it will cost you a fortune.

We have no security guards, no other shop attendants other than the cashier, no serviced gasoline stations... In my city, a taxi ride to the airport (23 minutes) has cost me 2400 baht. :-(

Shops close early. We have no 24 hour shops, except the gasoline stations on the highways, and these are very expensive.

Also people have no respect. Shop staff will growl at customers to make way when they are hauling some box...

In the city, I find no place to park the car. Sometimes not even paid parking.

There are so many things which are impossible or heavily regulated, so much financial burden... I just feel crushed by the system in "my" country (my official residence is in Thailand).

And then there are of course also the ladies. In Christian countries, regardless of what people can say, there is a heavy cultural prejudice that "sex for fun" is a sin. As is "sex for money"... result... the average male has a hard time to get laid.

And to thik the usa wants to be just like you...............so freaking SAD!

I don't want to try to list what's better about my country because it's everything. Even the weather where I live is better with clean air but without the suffocating heat and humidity. We have very mild winters and summers. I can trust the food I eat and the water I drink and even most other drivers.

The only thing that's better for me in Thailand is the availability of younger, pretty girls. That's it.

I was not surprised with your last sentence, 555.

Form my point of view, Western countries are offering more education, heathcare and welfare than Thailand.

But also less opportunities, less well-being, less freedom, less service and much more taxes and social burden.

One thing Thai people have trouble to understand, is that in Europe, one is mostly alone. As soon as you require the professional help of another person, it will cost you a fortune.

We have no security guards, no other shop attendants other than the cashier, no serviced gasoline stations... In my city, a taxi ride to the airport (23 minutes) has cost me 2400 baht. :-(

Shops close early. We have no 24 hour shops, except the gasoline stations on the highways, and these are very expensive.

Also people have no respect. Shop staff will growl at customers to make way when they are hauling some box...

There are so many things which are impossible or heavily regulated, so much financial burden... I just feel crushed by the system in "my" country (my official residence is in Thailand).

And then there are of course also the ladies. In Christian countries, regardless of what people can say, there is a heavy cultural prejudice that "sex for fun" is a sin. As is "sex for money"... result... the average male has a hard time to get laid.

I think the US should reverse back to the 80s. 00s was not kind to the US.

Believe me when I tell you...Thai Visa posters are just as hard on their own native countries as they have been on Thailand. There are many things to love and, well, many dislikes as well. What happens here can happen anywhere. People and customs/culture are much more interesting here than, say, America. That has to do with your long history and homogenous people.

• Like 1

Khun Somsrison, its great that you are interested in how others view your country. Compliments :)

I am from the US and we often criticize our country; that does not mean that we hate the USA (some TV posters hate the US for us already, 555!) We disagree with some aspects of our government/culture and we voice those issues.

Personally I like that some Thai people are non aggressive, avoid confrontation and I have tried to learn and adopt that trait of your (Thai) culture. However, if I do have a problem and try to resolve it with some Thais, some -not all- become very defensive and the situation can quickly spiral out of control.

So, from my point of view Thai culture is usually better at avoiding conflicts but often lack the mediation skills to resolve them. In the west we are more confrontational when we fell we have been wronged; however, I fell that westerners are usually better at resolving conflicts after they have occurred.

In any case, good topic! :)

• Like 1

Most Thais who want to go to the west are young and want to earn lots of money ,most of us from the west are older and have enough money and just want to enjoy a nice quiet retirement in the sun .

• Like 2

not like me... because I'm gone from Europe. I've had it!