Thaksin Returns As Pm

John K

Thailand: Thaksin’s Unreasonable Defamation Charge

Thaksin’s Unreasonable Defamation Charges Veer Out Of Control

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has denounced caretaker Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s continued use of criminal defamation charges to silence media criticism of his government.

“In a step backwards for press freedom in Thailand, Thaksin, despite his caretaker position, is clearly attempting to silence all and any criticism of him by his repeated use of criminal defamation laws and unreasonable civil defamation claims,” IFJ president Christopher Warren said.

“Thaksin is veering out of control with his obsession with silencing dissent in Thailand,” said Warren.

On June 14, Thaksin filed one criminal and one civil defamation charge against the opposition Democrat party and three editors from the Thai-daily newspapers, Matichon, Khao Sod and Daily News for publishing comments made by Thepthai Saneponge.

The latest charges come only weeks after Thaksin filed criminal defamation charges against the Manager Daily.

These recent attacks on press freedom in Thailand are a step backwards from the March 2006 victory against criminal defamation when human rights activist Supinya Klangnarong and the Thai Post were found innocent :D in defamation charges from the Thaksin government.

The Thai Post had published an interview with Supinya in which she accused Thaksin of using his position to unjustly benefit Shin Corp, a company then owned by his family. The court found these accusations to have been made in good faith for the benefit of the public. Shin Corp also withdrew a civil defamation case against Supinya in May in which they were claiming an exorbitant 400 million baht (over $10 million US). :D

This was hailed by free press and human rights advocates as a victory for media all over the world, but it appears Thailand’s defamation laws are once again being inappropriately used. :o

“The freedom of the press must be protected and Thaksin’s continuous defamation cases limit journalists’ ability to report confidently,” Warren said.

“The two failed defamation cases against Supinya Klangnarong demonstrate that the Thai legal establishment is willing to defend journalists against their government’s oppressive accusations,” the IFJ president said.

“Thaksin should take note of the court’s decisions and decriminalise defamation in Thailand.”

- Press Release: International Federation of Journalists

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fortunes of iTV Plc, the controversial television company, pretty much mirror those of its former owner, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Like I said, if you want to dance with the devil......

Edited by john Krukowski

Thailand: Thaksin’s Unreasonable Defamation Charge

Thaksin’s Unreasonable Defamation Charges Veer Out Of Control

Desperate times call for desperate measures. By a desperate man.

The "Bangkok Herald Examiner" may prove to be more accurate every passing day.

The Chart Thai Party advises government to pay more attention to farmers and people on payroll

The Chart Thai Party calls on the government to take good care of salary men and farmers now the country is facing several economic problems.

Chart Thai deputy leader Weerasak Kowsurat (วีระศักดิ์ โค้วสุรัตน์) said the government should set up a wage committee to set fair wages for 35 million salary people who are the biggest tax payers.

Mr. Weerasak said the government also must guarantee prices of crops produced by 12 million farmers.

He said this is a way to help these two groups deal with rising prices of fuel and goods. Mr. Weerasak said the government must not formulate economic policies that generate benefits for the 1.13 million employers at the expense of other groups of people.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 June 2006

The Social Action Party will be dissolved

The Social Action Party (SAP), inactive since its executives and members defected to the Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party years ago, will be dissolved.

Former SAP leader Suvit Khunkitti (สุวิทย์ คุณกิตติ), now a TRT deputy leader, said he and former SAP members agreed their former party should be disbanded after some bookkeeping and paper work has been taken care of.

Mr. Suvit said he did not want TRT leader Thaksin Shinawatra to think that he wanted to keep SAP as his reserve party in case some untoward political incidents occur.

Veteran politician Sanoh Thienthong blames several legal experts in twisting law

Founder of the Pracharaj (ประชาราช) Party Sanoh Thienthong (เสนาะ เทียนทอง) believes the country runs into political troubles because some legal experts have twisted the law in the interest of the powers-that-be.

Mr. Sanoh said politicians who do not know right from wrong make the situation go from bad to worse.

Mr. Sanoh was a speaker at a seminar on “Seventy-four Years and the Future of Democracy” held at a Bangkok hotel yesterday.

He said national leaders need to have morality and ethics but it happened that problems occurred because those in power did not hold on to moral and ethical principles. Mr. Sanoh said some legal experts even twisted the constitution for the benefit of government leaders.

Palang Paendin Thai (พลังแผ่นดินไทย) Party leader Likhit Dheeravegin (ลิขิต ธีรเวคิน) said constitutional reform is a way to settle political problems.

I don’t want to speculate on this play on words. I suspect it is just a comment to save face. It may be a totally fictitious person. Also It’s not his nature to fold and with the risk of how much he has to lose, the comment is totally out of context.

My advice is don’t hold your breath.

I think you are correct in that it is not one individual. As I said before, I do not believe the Palace would be involved in this. This isn't a game and if they wanted the PM out, he would already be out. Instead, there are a number of highly respected individuals in Bangkok who view the airport zone as the straw that has broken the camel's back. They are using their influence to the best of their abilities to break up the TRT. Frankly, given its recent history, few expect the Constitutional Court to side against the PM.

Following Thaksin's lead, all his underlings get their fair share:

10 billion baht missing

The Office of the Permanent Secretary for the Prime Minister's Office has instructed government agencies to step up investigation of cases of corruption after finding up to 10 billion baht of state budget funds have been pocketed by civil servants in various ministries. The offences committed by crooked officials included embezzlement of state cash and assets, falsifying medical costs for higher reimbursement and stealing of state petrol. The biggest loss was found at the Transport Ministry, which accounted for seven billion baht.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/26Jun2006_news08.php

ACM Kongsak: local leaders have better vison, and their performance has developed

The Interior Minister, Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา), has affirmed that the works of the new generation of local leaders’ have been adjusted and their performances have been developed. Thus, they could get in touch with the local people in their areas more successfully.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra attended the 3rd workshop to develop the capabilities of local chiefs, and proposed that they should also act as a consultant more than a person who just gives out orders. ACM Kongsak admitted that in the past, certain local leaders usually initiated the ideas of the local residents and villagers, and they acted primarily as commanders. However, he said their roles have now changed and improved.

The Interior Minister said he would like to adjust the administrators’ point of view on managing work in the community level, adding that he will start this project with his interior officials first.

He said that government officers are allowed to present their ideas to top executives who will consider on whether those ideas are good enough and should be taken into action.

Source: Thaisnews - ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 26 มิถุนายน 2549

I noted some “Vote for me” posters going up today. Are we in the “I can’t see the traffic coming” season again? I may have also detected a few mobile PA systems going about too.

I mentioned this several post ago in that I was not sure if the October 15 election date had been approved. I have since read some news clippings here and there saying this they did not want to give credibility to the EC by accepting that date because the EC selected it. Does anyone know what is going on here?

I noted some “Vote for me” posters going up today. Are we in the “I can’t see the traffic coming” season again? I may have also detected a few mobile PA systems going about too.

I mentioned this several post ago in that I was not sure if the October 15 election date had been approved. I have since read some news clippings here and there saying this they did not want to give credibility to the EC by accepting that date because the EC selected it. Does anyone know what is going on here?

The posters and PA trucks you see around are for campaigning for the Bangkok Council and District Council elections set for July 23. It's not for Oct 15.

Is Thaksin tampering?

Thaksin holds meeting of police chief, attorney-general, intelligence chief

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Monday called a meeting of the police chief, attorney-general and the chief of the National Intelligence Bureau.

After the meeting, Jumpol Munmai, director of the National Intelligence Bureau, said Thaksin called the three to discuss the situation in the deep South.

Jumpol said Thaksin wanted to ensure that all cases must be proceeded in line with the law.

The Nation

Jumpol said Thaksin wanted to ensure that all cases must be proceeded in line with the law.

The Nation

Now there's a novel idea! Why didn't he think of this before? Like in declaration of assets, crackdowns on drugs, awarding of contracts, elections, etc., etc., etc.,

I really was not sure if I should post this here or in the “Some 600,000 Thais Suffer From Mental Disorder” thread. :o

Thaksin to lead party to the polls

Thaksin: Still plans on Oct 15 general election

Insists TRT broke no law, won't be dissolved

POST REPORTERS

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatrahas vowed to lead his Thai Rak Thai party at the next election, arguing it has not violated any election law and predicting it will not be dissolved.

He was speaking before key regional party members in Bangkok yesterday.

Thai Rak Thai has been accused of paying small parties to contest the April 2 general election to evade the constitutional requirement that unchallenged candidates must get 20% of the constituency vote to win a seat.

Mr Thaksin said there were no grounds to justify the dissolution of his party. ''The party has done nothing wrong. How can it be dissolved? If we did anything wrong, we would be aware of it,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin's defense of his party was in contrast to his stance on Friday when he appeared to have resigned himself to the possible dire consequences of an investigation into the claims.

The Election Commission has sent itsreport that found Thai Rak Thai guilty tothe Office of the Attorney-General andthe office will decide tomorrow whether to indict the ruling party.

If the party is indicted and the ConstitutionCourt finds it guilty, the party willbe disbanded.

Mr Thaksin said Thai Rak Thai had 14million members and would continue tofunction as a party.

Some members asked Mr Thaksin yesterday about the party's future.

''Nothing wrong. Take it easy. We'll talk next week,'' he replied.

Asked about reports the People's Alliance for Democracy plans to revive street protests against him, Mr Thaksin said everyone should do his lawful duty.

''Today we must do what we can to help the nation progress. His Majesty's advice on June 9 must be implemented.

Every party will do its duty, in line with the law and its own responsibility, and observe morality and ethics. If they do that everything will be fine,'' he said.

He said he was not worried if the protests returned.

Mr Thaksin played down the resignation of Visanu Krue-ngarm as caretaker deputy prime minister last week, saying no problem would arise.

Asked if Mr Visanu gave a reason for the resignation, Mr Thaksin said he tendered his resignation politely and there was nothing worrying him.

Responsibilities would be adjusted among the remaining deputy prime ministers.

Without MrVisanu and Borwornsak Uwanno, who recently resigned as cabinet secretary-general, the government would discuss legal issues with the Council of State and legal experts in the cabinet secretariat.

He had not yet proposed the royal decree for the next election, to give politicians enough time to switch parties before the next poll.

Candidates must be a member of their party for at least 90 days.

He said he would propose the royal decree after Aug 15.

After His Majesty the King endorses the decree, the next poll would take place in 60 days and was likely to fall on Oct 15, he said.

Mr Thaksin said he would lead Thai Rak Thai's campaign.

Mr Thaksin told the meeting he was not upset with Mr Visanu or Mr Borwornsak, as both had done their best to serve the government, and he thanked them for the role they played.

Executive member Suranand Vejjajiva said the meeting did not discuss the rumour that caretaker Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangkurana Ayudhaya and caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal would resign for being implicated in the small party-hiring allegation.

Deputy leader Somchai Sunthornwat said Gen Thammarak had not showed up often at the party's recent functions becausehe had other jobs to do.

In other news;

The TRT special tactical team know as SQUAT have been answering numerous calls all across the greater Bangkok metro area with reports of fans being found in public toilets.

Several nervous TRT members have been spotted doing there best to cope with then impending court cases due to start this week.

post-17597-1151329867_thumb.jpg

Edited by john Krukowski

A few snippets:

Probe of Democrats to be concluded soon

A panel investigating the Democrat Party may wrap up its probe and submit a report to the Election Commission (EC) this week, a source said yesterday

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/26...cs_30007296.php

Election won't be held on Oct 15, says Snoh

There will be no election on October 15 as politicians had failed to follow His Majesty the King's advice about national reconciliation, Pracharaj Party leader Snoh Thienthong said in a seminar yesterday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/26...cs_30007295.php

'Moral' Prem, 'capable' PM top Abac poll

Most Bangkokians are worried by the political situation and want a person with high moral standards like Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda or a capable leader like Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to solve the problems, a survey has found.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/26...cs_30007297.php

Whilst most abac polls should be treated with a certain amount of sceptism, the full poll found at:

http://168.120.31.165/ipoll/2549/0216.html

Does contain one result, which doesn't seem to have made it into the English speaking newspapers, and that is the comparison on how both Thaksin and Abhisit are doing compared to one year ago.

Not suprisingly Thaksin's popularity has shown a decline from 45.9 to 34.5. Abhisit hasn't fared a great deal better with a drop from 38.8 to 24.0, but what is suprising is that whereas Thaksin has seen a steady decline across the board with all regions recording a steady decline; Abhisit's popularity has suffered badly in the regions where you would expect him to have support,(South and Bangkok) but has actually improved in both the North and Issan...

One of Thammarak's relations recently won a seat as a Senator in lower Issan, possibly upsetting the incumbent dominant family.

General Thammarak was in charge of the last TRT election campaign in Issan. If he had to resign, which Cabinet member from lower Issan would take over in charge of Issan, the biggest source of seats for Parliament?

Which Cabinet member from Issan had one of his officials play an important role in the supervision of the Defence Ministry's cameras during General Thammarak's recent difficulties?

Answers on a postcard to win a free ticket to The World Cup held in Bangkok in 2018.

I really was not sure if I should post this here or in the “Some 600,000 Thais Suffer From Mental Disorder” thread. :o

Thaksin to lead party to the polls

Thaksin: Still plans on Oct 15 general election

Insists TRT broke no law, won't be dissolved

Again in a state of denial. As usual, it means he knows he's in deep s*#t. :D

PM MEETS ATTORNEY-GENERAL

Thaksin summons Pachara on eve of ruling on TRT dissolution; A-G claims they talked about the South

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday summoned Attorney-General Pachara Yutithamdamrong on the eve of a landmark decision by public prosecutors that could lead to the ruling party's dissolution.

Yesterday's meeting has led to criticism, amid fears the case could end up with two key figures in the Thai Rak Thai Party - deputy party leader Thamarak Isarangura and deputy secretary-general Pongsak Ruktapongpisal - being sacrificed for the party's survival. The two are accused of involvement in an alleged scheme to "buy an opposition", by bankrolling small parties to contest the April 2 election.

Pachara said yesterday's meeting with Thaksin had nothing to do with the case.

He said Thaksin had merely instructed him to carry out his work in a straightforward manner in accordance to law.

"He said I should stick to the law and not give anyone special consideration, not even him,'' the Attorney General said. ...so, in other words, they DID discuss the issue to some degree... :D

Pachara, along with Department of Special Investigation director-general General Sombat Amornwiwat and National Intelligence Agency chief Jumpol Manmai met with Thaksin at Government House for more than an hour yesterday.

Pachara said he would hold to the principles of unity, righteousness and preventing upheaval in the country when making his decision.

"I am not afraid of politicians, because they come and go. I am a legal enforcer, and I must uphold the justice system," he said.

"Even though Thaksin has told the media that Thai Rak Thai Party will be not be dissolved, that's his opinion, which may be different from mine," he said. ...ok, ok... a "touche" for Pachara... :D

A critical decision prosecutors must make is whether the actions of some of its executives are legally binding on the party itself. Thai Rak Thai stands accused of paying small parties to contest the April 2 general election, to lend it a sense of legitimacy after major opposition parties boycotted the poll.

Office of the Attorney-General spokesman Attapol Yaisawang said it had submitted more than 2,000 pages of notes detailing its investigation to the 11-member fact-finding panel which will decide today whether to prosecute the party.

The panel will focus on actions allegedly committed by Defence Minister Thamarak and Transport Minister Pongsak and whether they acted on behalf of the Thai Rak Thai Party.

Both are members of the party's executive board.

Attapol dismissed suggestions the prosecutor does not have a solid case because the Election Commission did not question Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said he personally felt the case carried enough weight without interviewing Thaksin.

The panel will decide whether to propose that Pachara take the matter to the Constitution Court for ruling on party dissolution, or to return the investigation file to the political party's registrar to appoint a joint panel to take action via Article 44 of the Constitution against the party.

Critics said the timing for yesterday's meeting between Thaksin and Pachara was "not right", as it took place on the eve of the landmark decision by the OAG. Agreed. :D

Democrat Party executive member Satit Wongnongtoei said that although the premier and Pachara had discussed the situation in the deep South, they should have picked a less controversial day.

He said such a meeting aroused suspicions, particularly given that the government stands accused of interfering with independent organisations. ... AND, the fact that the PM hasn't doesn't done squat to solve the Deep South problem in 5 years... AND he just coincidentilly choses yesterday to speak to the A-G about it?? :D

"The prime minister should keep his distance from the Attorney-General until the case is completed," Satit said. :D

Political scientist Prayad Hongthongkham said it was hard to believe that Thaksin and Pachara didn't even talk about the Thai Rak Thai case.

He said he saw no reason why the premier should call the Attorney-General to talk about the situation in the South. "The attorney-general is not involved in the South problem." :D

He said Thaksin and Pachara should have waited until today's decision had been made.

Besides his controversial meeting with the Attorney-General, Thaksin also met yesterday with the police chief and head of the National Intelligence Bureau at Government House.

Komsan Phokong, a lecturer at Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, said if the OAG decided to seek a Constitution Court ruling, the court may acquit the TRT members for lack of proof.

Individuals committed the offence, but the EC incriminated the party as the wrongdoer, without specifying that the offence was committed by Thamarak and Pongsak, he said.

"I believe this was the EC's tactic in writing the investigation file," he said.

Thai Rak Thai Party deputy leader Pongthep Thepkanchana insisted yesterday the charges against the party were nothing more than accusations.

"The party is a legal entity, how can it commit wrongdoing? Thamarak insisted he had nothing to do with the video clips shown by the Democrats' secretary-general as evidence. The accusations that the people seen in the video clip were at the Defence Ministry to be paid Bt50,000 seems strange,'' Ponghtep said. "Strange" is just how the TRT operates; strange is its standard procedure.

Thai Rak Thai deputy Somsak Thepsuthin hailed Thaksin for giving party members the confidence to move on with the next election by declaring that the party would not be dissolved.

"Now everyone is happy and we will go ahead with the election campaign,'' he said.

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said he didn't think the Thai Rak Thai Party would be dissolved because it still had immense "inner power". :D

"Since I have been in politics for 30 years, I have never seen anyone as strong as Thaksin. He has faced both public and media pressure and yet more pressures, but still refuses to give up,'' Banharn said. :o

- TN

Unlike the TRT Party investigation recommendation, which took weeks to forcefully pry it out of the EC's sweaty little palms.... and granted that there was already little doubt about "who butters Vasana's bread," yesterday's actions removes ALL doubt:

Dissolve Democrats, EC tells OAG

Election Commission (EC) chairman Vasana Puemlarp yesterday made a written recommendation to the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) that the Democrat Party should be dissolved for violating the Political Party Act, a senior official of the agency said.

Vasana's move came on the eve of a landmark decision by public prosecutors on whether to pursue a separate case against the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party on the same charge.

EC secretary-general Ekachai Warunprapa disclosed that Vasana, in his capacity as the political party registrar, sent the recommendation to the OAG yesterday evening. In the report, the EC chief said the Democrat Party was found to have violated Article 66 of the Political Party Act, which outlines grounds for a political party to be dissolved, according to Ekachai.

The legal provision states that a political party faces dissolution by the Constitution Court for acting to overthrow the country's democracy, acting in opposition to democracy or threatening national security or social orderliness and peace. How??????

Vasana earlier yesterday declined to answer a question as to whether he had forwarded the case, filed by the ruling party, to the OAG. He said to ask the OAG about the matter.

Vasana also refused to confirm news report he would resign before the election on October 15, saying people would see when the time came.

Meanwhile, the Democrat's legal team led by former Chumphon MP Suwaroj Palang, went to the EC to ask for the commission's report of all meetings held from March 20 to May 8, so they can be used as evidence in the case the party has filed against the EC.

Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban accused the EC of malfeasance for allowing new candidates to contest the election on April 25.

The Criminal Court will hold the first hearing of the plaintiff's witnesses on July 3.

- TN

Thaksin: "Thailand is the world's strangest democracy"

Thailand's democracy could be the "strangest in the world", with the House of Representatives' period of inactivity looking certain to last for almost a year, Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday.

No other country had seen its Lower House stay out of action for so long, he said.

"Perhaps we should be proud of it," he said sarcastically.

Thaksin was referring to the fact that the next general election is tentatively scheduled for mid-October, more than 10 months after the House dissolution. The April snap election was declared void by the Constitution Court.

The premier was speaking during an SML business seminar at the Ambassador City Jomtien Hotel in Chon Buri in the morning.

He called on all the parties involved to heed the advice of His Majesty the King to stick to their duties for the sake of national unity.

At Government House later in the day, Thaksin met senior figures of the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, including Sudarat Keyuraphan, Pongthep Thepkanchana, Phumtham Wechayachai and Suranand Vejjajiva.

- TN

===============

what a fruitcake oddball loonie he is....

Thaksin just has very bad form. Anyone in their right mind would stay as far away from the OAG if they had a case pending. Going to see them just hours before a case goes to court can only imply tampering. I am sure what he wanted to say to the OAG could have been done in a letter. He does not even care to hide what he is doing now. I think he feels he is above scrutiny, or he has pulled enough strings that he feels secure.

Unlike the TRT Party investigation recommendation, which took weeks to forcefully pry it out of the EC's sweaty little palms.... and granted that there was already little doubt about "who butters Vasana's bread," yesterday's actions removes ALL doubt:

- TN

Ahhhh It's so funny to see those that have been chastising the EC for months for not moving to dissolve the hated TRT and now they have a "they have moved too fast" attitude when the EC recommend to do the same to the Democrats. No one could win with you lot, everyone that does not agree with you is damed if they do and damed if they don't.... :o

Personally I think they should dissolve them both and Thailand can get back to normal with new names for the whole lot of them.

- TN

Ahhhh It's so funny to see those that have been chastising the EC for months for not moving to dissolve the hated TRT and now they have a "they have moved too fast" attitude when the EC recommend to do the same to the Democrats. No one could win with you lot, everyone that does not agree with you is damed if they do and damed if they don't.... :o

A common concept that is apparently more prevalent in Thailand than Canada is the one known as the "middle path," which, if applied to this situation, means that an EC recommendation would not take so excruciatingly long NOR be done in quick careless manner, but instead it is processed in a reasonable and suitably appropriate amount of time.

Having clarified that obvious shortfall in your logic, it IS good to see the pro-Thaksin faction back to posting... welcome back.

Edited by sriracha john

- TN

Ahhhh It's so funny to see those that have been chastising the EC for months for not moving to dissolve the hated TRT and now they have a "they have moved too fast" attitude when the EC recommend to do the same to the Democrats. No one could win with you lot, everyone that does not agree with you is damed if they do and damed if they don't.... :D

A common concept that is apparently more prevalent in Thailand than Canada is the one known as the "middle path," which, if applied to this situation, means that an EC recommendation would not take so excruciatingly long NOR be done in quick careless manner, but instead it is processed in a reasonable and suitably appropriate amount of time.

:o:D

Edited by chownah

- TN

Personally I think they should dissolve them both and Thailand can get back to normal with new names for the whole lot of them.

LOL Luk ...

if if the evidence is there we won't whine THAT it happens ... just watching the craziness of your IMPARTIAL EC .... Takes forever and ignores the rules for TRT ... and acts without the special investigative group against the Demos .... But the courts will str8n it out I hope :D

HARD TALK

Thaksin playing a shrewd hand against the inevitable

Last week, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dropped what the media interpreted as the strongest hint so far of his resignation to the political inevitability.

But anyone familiar with Thaksin's constant changing moods would be cautious enough not to assume that he was about to throw in the towel soon.

And only a few days later, Thaksin proved those on the side of caution right. He made it abundantly clear that not only did he intend to hang on but also to lead the charge into the next election for the Thai Rak Thai Party.

A shrewd politician like Thaksin is definitely not blind to the forces that have been building up against him and his party. But again, he has so much at stake that he is unlikely to make a quiet exit. The fact that Thaksin decided to cut short his "political break" to resume control of Government House was a clear indication that he still had some unfinished agenda.

However, despite all the pressure piling on him from all sides, Thaksin still holds the key to finding a breakthrough to the current political crisis. His diminished political stature doesn't mean that as prime minister, and arguably still a popular one, he will not be able to play a trump card.

In the worst case scenario, if the prospect of the political deadlock degenerating into violent confrontation doesn't bother him, Thaksin can choose to ride on. Who cares that the political vacuum will continue and blood may be spilled on the streets as long as he and his Thai Rak Thai Party are still in power?

And, of course, there have been enough voices among members of Thaksin' close political circle advocating such a hardline approach. They have made known their desire to see Thaksin continue to weather the political storm and go ahead with the election in October (organised by the Thai Rak Thai-friendly Election Commission). And if Thai Rak Thai is swept back to power again, there is no reason why Thaksin should not take the reins.

And judging from Thaksin's remarks to his party members on Sunday, there is no turning back for the prime minister.

For a while, however, there were signs that the unfolding events of the past several weeks seemed to have had a sobering impact on the caretaker prime minister. No matter how much he wanted to invoke his "popular mandate", Thaksin knew that he was up against powers over which he had no control.

With the judicial branch bearing down on the Election Commission and his Thai Rak Thai Party over the parties-for-hire scandal, and the prospect of more street demonstrations, it must have dawned on Thaksin that there was something inevitable about his political fate.

It was probably Thaksin's tacit acknowledgement of this when he implied last week that sooner or later his time in office must come to an end under pressure from "individuals or groups of individuals".

The abrupt resignations of his two most trusted legal hands, Cabinet Secretary-General Borwornsak Uwanno and Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, came as a big blow to Thaksin and only added weight to speculation that his caretaker government's days are numbered.

But Thaksin still seems to be buying time and has his options open, apparently hoping that his political misfortune can still be reversed somehow. Given his stubbornness and arrogance, Thaksin is unlikely to call it quits unless he has no other choice - even knowing full well that he is challenging forces that are beyond him.

Maybe, by putting on a brave face, he believes he can bargain for time to find a graceful exit and a guarantee that his back will be covered once he is out of power.

Or maybe he wants an assurance that with or without him at the helm, Thai Rak Thai will continue to be a political force - under whatever name in the event it is dissolved by the Constitutional Court.

But whatever cards Thaksin plays, he knows there is no way he can restore the glory days of his political empire. The one-party rule that he lauded as the foundation stone of political stability and his brand of populism was a political dream-come-true that he knows he cannot possibly relive.

Thaksin may have been telling the truth when he insisted that he was not "demoralised" by the chain of events engulfing his premiership. But the question confronting him has less to do with his mental state and more to do with his political future and the survival of his political empire.

And Thaksin knows full well that despite his show of political bravado, all the odds are against him.

Thepchai Yong