Fruit carts in tourist areas ... ask the price first ... they've got knives

Jingthing

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JingThing….just a guess here….older male, overweight, enjoy the bars, small pension? I only ask because its that demographic that seems to have more problems (for whatever reason) than regular day to day people.

When you say threatened with a knife, what exactly are you implying? And the always present motorcycle taxi guys eyeballing you as well? Jeses man, how do you get through your day?

Last week some worn out old man told me how he hasn't set foot in Walking Street in 2 years as the prices are "out of control". Let's see….85 baht for draft beer. 2 for 1 at Insomnia before 10, 30 baht shooters all night….

Then he said he won't drive east of Sukhumvit at night as guys will lie down on the road so when you stop, their friends hiding in the bushes will attack you.

Your thoughts JingThing?

Normal price 10 Baht (been buying it and eating it for years), I asked the price a couple of days ago outside a 7-11 before she cut it, 40 BAHT!!!! Are they havin' a laugh????

Guess it's time to take the p*ss out of expats again!!

Sliced portion of watermelon, pineapple ... 10 baht.

Farang fruit full and cut into pieces ... 20 baht small or regular, sometimes 25 for large sometimes still 20

Pattaya normal market prices for roving fruit carts. Generally very stable except for rip off attempts.

You are saying you are getting full farang fruit from Pattaya roving fruit carts for 10 baht?

I am not believing that.

post-37101-0-76893200-1390372997_thumb.j

BTW, I do love to eat my farang!

If the normal market price from roving fruit carts goes to 40 baht, then I will pay it.

But for now the normal market price is 20 and that's what I will WILLINGLY pay until it actually changes.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I am feeling more violence in the air.

I can't speak for others.

I see another poster feels it too.

It might make an interesting poll question but I won't do it as I reckon it would be seen as too sensitive a subject, especially now.

Thais have become very sensitive to many things.

Anyone know why ?

Do Thais know why ?

Aggression now seems on many a Thai mind. Just look at some of the recent shootings. Mostly for trivial matters.

Perhaps it has something to do with them feeling like they are being screwed by a government that has been at it for almost 3 years (without even buying them dinner), Bangkok, the financial capital of Thailand, is in a violent mess, and the country seems like it could be on the verge of civil war. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the price of fruit from certain vendors in Pattaya.

So many adventures in your life...

I'll take that as sarcastic but I like sarcasm.

Yeah, buying fruit is very thrilling!

So you like sarcasm, good, try this, youve seen your "name" enough times for one day, give it a rest.
That isn't sarcasm so I don't like it. Cheers.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought some tomato's last week from a stall on Theprasit Road at 25 baht per Kilo,,,

I went into the fresh food Market last night up Soi Nernplubwan thinking they might

be the same price or cheaper with being a Market.

The Lady serving took one look at me and said 40 Baht Per kilo...

I went back to Theprasit....... She lost out through being greedy.

Fresh produce markets are another thing. Their prices are much less stable than the roving cut fruit carts. Sure some of the produce vendors apply a foreigner tax. I used to shop at them a lot more as its nice to support small businesses but over time I have found that overall I get better fresher cleaner produce for less money at stores like Friendship.

Like the other day I was just buying some broccoli at a produce market. All she had was a tiny one just borderline fresh enough. 40 baht. A bigger fresher one at Friendship 30 baht. No thanks!

Edited by Jingthing

Its not an option to grow any of this stuff in a garden at your house? 40 baht for a head of broccoli is retarded…I have unlimited land at my house for a few years until more housing plots are sold. Right now its all vacant but fenced against the shit show that live outside the walls...

JT

You are forgetting that street vendors have to pay a substantial daily fee for the right to sell, often unreceipted. Some will try to not pay but that is also a potential expense against profits as getting away with it for three weeks then getting your cart confiscated can be more expensive.

So, you are raving against the seller of the fruit but it may be that the extra cost is going to the police or municipal police, thessakij.

It might make an interesting poll question but I won't do it as I reckon it would be seen as too sensitive a subject, especially now.

It seems to be you having thses problems. I eat fruit every day, no problems.

maybe one in a hundred fruit sellers overcharges, the rest are very friendly and I wonder how they survive with the prices they charge, hardly worth stressing about

It's higher than 1 in 100 in the tourist areas but I do agree most of the cart people are good apples not bad apples.

5 bhat..

10 baht actually, representing 50 percent more than the actual current local market price.

Here we go.... a percentage calculation to make it seem far worse....like would you ever pay 3 baht for something normally priced at 2 baht. You have to deal with these "massive" percentage fluctuations in Cosy Beach all the time.

I would see it as a measly 10 baht more, not a fifty percent hike. Whether I'd pay the 50% difference or not would depend on how easy the same quality of fruit could be found in the area for the lower price or not.

Another thing you may consider. Fruit is one commodity which fluctuates in price more than most. For example, I've seen fresh coconuts range from 10 baht to 35 baht in the course of a year. My goodness! A 350% difference! Many examples come to mind... long kong: 50 to 125 or more per kilo is another good example. Mangoes fluctuate significantly too.

No.

Fruit price of street vendors never fluctuates, you must know that.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thais have become very sensitive to many things.

Anyone know why ?

Do Thais know why ? cheesy.gif

Aggression now seems on many a Thai mind. Just look at some of the recent shootings. Mostly for trivial matters.

No. But they feel now they can finally drop the mask of civility, and feel free to act upon how they have always felt.

5 bhat..

10 baht actually, representing 50 percent more than the actual current local market price.

Here we go.... a percentage calculation to make it seem far worse....like would you ever pay 3 baht for something normally priced at 2 baht. You have to deal with these "massive" percentage fluctuations in Cosy Beach all the time.

I would see it as a measly 10 baht more, not a fifty percent hike. Whether I'd pay the 50% difference or not would depend on how easy the same quality of fruit could be found in the area for the lower price or not.

Another thing you may consider. Fruit is one commodity which fluctuates in price more than most. For example, I've seen fresh coconuts range from 10 baht to 35 baht in the course of a year. My goodness! A 350% difference! Many examples come to mind... long kong: 50 to 125 or more per kilo is another good example. Mangoes fluctuate significantly too.

I cant belive this coming from you, Tropo.

What is this place coming to.

maybe one in a hundred fruit sellers overcharges, the rest are very friendly and I wonder how they survive with the prices they charge, hardly worth stressing about

U wanna know how? The cut of pineaplle, or watermelon costs them 1 baht, they sell for 10. That is how.

• Like 1

U wanna know how? The cut of pineaplle, or watermelon costs them 1 baht, they sell for 10. That is how.

Something like that. Maybe 2 or 3 baht.

One thing I never forget.

For me, the price of my fruit is trivial, the negotiation is more of a game than anything.

For the vendor- it's how they feed their family. I expect them to take it more seriously than I am willing to treat it.

Doesn't justify violence or threat of violence, but these are strange times in Thailand...

5 bhat..

I cant belive this coming from you, Tropo.

What is this place coming to.

Yeah, I know. smile.png ... but I would pay 10 baht more to save on travelling. I often pay 10 baht more for pineapples when my regular vendor is not around. I also feel that mathematics can be used to exaggerate small problems.

I'd have said 'only 30 baht? Cut me another 500 baht of fruit...' Then run like <deleted> when he's cut all the fruit..... cheesy.gif

Simon

Nice try. It was his last farang fruit and the moto boys have bikes ...

So many adventures in your life...

p.s. please don,t mention songtaews-JT is something of a "disaster zone" in Patts-if you happen to see him walk the other way-whistling.gif

No songtaews here ...

if there was no profit in it..you think they would sell...no way...thais dont do nothing unless there is money in it for them

Well nobody expects them to peddle fruit on the mean dirty streets of Pattaya for nothing. They are Pattaya's finest! Finest fruit cart vendors that is.

Please submit a slogan which represents the wonderfulness of Pattaya's mobile fruit card vendors!

Prize to be determined!