thai driving rules

lucjoker

priority on a crossroad :

if there are no traffic lights and no policeman and no signs no ground markings (many streets are like this in Thailand)

and the 2 roads are the same looking.

Who has priority ? The car coming from your right or the car coming from your left?

In Europe it's priority to the right (you have to let the car coming from your right drive first)

Also in left hand driving countries like England,Australia,New Z, South Africa......it's the same ,priority of the right.

Is this also in Thailand?

Because some people say it is priority of the left ?

(yes i know all the jokes , and i spent days on internet but no trustworthy answers)

Tx

The person who charges first usually has right of way, No one obeys the traffic rules, It also depends on the size of your vehicle.

i know all this ,i asked a simple question ,is it priority of the right or the left ?

It is one of the most important things in countries where there is a big lack of road signs.

If a judge asks you why you took priority and caused an accident ,and you answer "my car was the biggest" or "i drove faster"

or "i was in a hurry" .........you wont be laughing then .

So i wonder how many jokes i have to read,before i have a right answer?

• Like 1

Have a read of this:-

attachicon.gifThaidriving.pdf

Yes i know this pdf.

it's very old and i couldn't believe my eyes:priority to the car coming from the left!

So ,i will go to the driving license center on 36th road tomorrow and check it out .

If true ,it's the only country in the world (that i know) with priority of left .

I did ask that of the guy when I got my licence, that you give way to the left, and how I'df that was the case it is the only country in the world to do that. His reply was "yes! This is Thailand!" Quite proud he was.....

• Like 1

The person who charges first usually has right of way, No one obeys the traffic rules, It also depends on the size of your vehicle.

i know all this ,i asked a simple question ,is it priority of the right or the left ?

It is one of the most important things in countries where there is a big lack of road signs.

If a judge asks you why you took priority and caused an accident ,and you answer "my car was the biggest" or "i drove faster"

or "i was in a hurry" .........you wont be laughing then .

So i wonder how many jokes i have to read,before i have a right answer?

Why would a judge be asking questions ?

Basically whoever has the biggest cahones has the right of way! Basically whoever gets their nose in the intersection first has the right of way...however, this rules can be bent if a bus, Cat roadgrader, or a car costing over 5 million baht is approaching the intersection at high speed.

i see that i'm not going to get the answer,

because nobody prob, knows.

So if you do have an accident it will be a guess who is to blame?

It will be your mistake if your car is smaller than mine ?

lol

If you really want to know, go to your car insurer's office and talk to them. They spend their days apportioning blame for accidents so should be up on the driving code. May have to find an English speaking claims person though.

• Like 1

lol

Not going to get the answer? I can see the answer in 2 or 3 of the replies above this, or is it you're not going to get the answer you want?

lol

Yep, you are spot on, nobody knows and blame for an accident will be a guess, because:

- The law, (whatever it may be) is rarely enforced.

- In the event of an accident, blame and compensation is attributed according to right of way, suffering, ability to pay, luck and probably some other factors like who your friends are.

So don't worry, TiT.

Edited by Jitar

lol

You DID get the answer!

On page 11 and 12 it says:

Title 6

Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a Junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there’s a designation of “principle roadway in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

Section 72

[A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]

Section 73 (500 - 1000B)

[A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

If the traffic officer deems it appropriate, he may set temporary traffic signals. (1000B)]

Section 74 (500B)

A driver, who is driving a vehicle out of a private way or a roadway in a building area, before crossing or turning into the roadway that cuts across, shall stop his vehicle to let the vehicles passing or moving in the roadway through before proceeding upon it being safe.

I laughed so much, I thought I was going to pee myself! What rules of the road? He who gets there first has right of way! Whatever rules have been written, they have never been read - by a Thai!

or most farangs! thumbsup.gif

I laughed so much, I thought I was going to pee myself! What rules of the road? He who gets there first has right of way! Whatever rules have been written, they have never been read - by a Thai!

or most farangs! thumbsup.gif

Ah!... but we knew them already. That is how we passed a test in our home countries without having to pay a back-hander !

Yes i know this pdf.

it's very old and i couldn't believe my eyes:priority to the car coming from the left!

So ,i will go to the driving license center on 36th road tomorrow and check it out .

If true ,it's the only country in the world (that i know) with priority of left .

Hmm! Have another read:-

Section 73 (500 - 1000B)

[A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

If the traffic officer deems it appropriate, he may set temporary traffic signals. (1000B)]

Section 74 (500B)

A driver, who is driving a vehicle out of a private way or a roadway in a building area, before crossing or turning into the roadway that cuts across, shall stop his vehicle to let the vehicles passing or moving in the roadway through before proceeding upon it being safe.

Like many laws/rules in Thailand they are sensibly structured (usually based ion Western practices) - the issue is in the application (or non-application) of these laws.

Thais are smarter than Farangs with the ability to filter left against a red light if the road is clear.

I went to my insurance man and asked him the question,

He said it happened many times,but most of the time the police say it's 50-50 guild,

so each pay for his own car.In case of thai against farang ....farang will pay for the damage on the thai car and

farang insurance maby pay for damage farang car .

So it is clear ,nobody knows the rules and the rules are not applied .

The rule is :Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a Junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there’s a designation of “principle roadway in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

so ,first come -first go

and if they arive in the same time ,the left car can go first.

Although these are the rules....dont count on them !

This question came up in my drivers license test last time.

The one coming from RIGHT has priority and goes first. So actually the same like in Europe just here nobody cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I went to my insurance man and asked him the question,

He said it happened many times,but most of the time the police say it's 50-50 guild,

so each pay for his own car.In case of thai against farang ....farang will pay for the damage on the thai car and

farang insurance maby pay for damage farang car .

So it is clear ,nobody knows the rules and the rules are not applied .

The rule is :Section 71 (500B)

so ,first come -first go

and if they arive in the same time ,the left car can go first.

Although these are the rules....dont count on them !

Either way, priority is with the vehicle from the right.

The sort of bullshit answers given by any Thai that you ask is just further supporting evidence for every Farang having first class insurance. In the event of any accident leave it to the insurer to sort out.

• Like 1

lol

If you really want to know, go to your car insurer's office and talk to them. They spend their days apportioning blame for accidents so should be up on the driving code. May have to find an English speaking claims person though.

You would have thought so ,but some years ago i was hit by a motorbike on the inside while turning left ,indicator flashing ect, my insurance guy seemed to think it was my fault ,you couldnt make it up.

also as to the answer to the ops question ,it does not matter a flying fart what the rule book says , you know it i know it ,here it is survival of the fitest ,if you get in front of a car coming from the side you go through ,if you are far bigger you go through , its a waste of time talking about "rules"

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1