How will this "state of emergency" affect the average joe?

jackspade

When do I need to start stocking up on 2-gallon water jugs, canned tuna and buy a rice-cooker?

Is there any sort of preparation that would be wise to undertake, or will the outfall of this state of emergency be negligible as far as little old me is concerned (I live up in a suburban area near Chatuchak)?

A friend of mine told me that back in 2010, a lot of the 7-11s were looted and it was difficult to find drinking water and beer.

PS Seeing as half the new topics in this forum get the typical "Jesus Christ, not again" response from old-timers here, I apologize if this has been asked before...

Edited by jackspade
  • Like 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the floods certainly affected food stocks, a few weeks there the egg truck arriving at the local market caused near-riots.

But the state of emergency itself is not an issue, only if general civil strife flares up, IMO .0000001% of that happening over the current issues, most Thais just want the nonsense stopped so things can get back to XXXXXXXXX

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

" it was difficult to find drinking water and beer."

Forget about the drinking water.......the beer you should be worried about!

But again, your name is not Joe but Jack.....I presume.whistling.gif

Haven't you got a rice-cooker yet?

How long have you been here?

Edited by Costas2008

"A lot of the 7-11s were looted"...oh, REALLY? A LOT of them? In Thailand, where there's a 7-11 on pretty much every corner (literally, sometimes they're pretty much across the street from each other)? Thailand, the country with the 3rd most 7-11s (I think that's the statistic) of any country on earth?

NO. "A lot" of them were not looted. Maybe 2-3 located right in the midst of the worst of the burning (across from Central World? I'm guessing here...)...but no. For the most part, your friend is LYING.

• Like 2

"When do I need to start stocking up on 2-gallon water jugs, canned tuna and buy a rice-cooker?"

Just after you panic should be fine. The reason for panicking would be the realisation that water, tuna, and rice cookers can't be bought for love nor money.

The rice cooker would not do you any good if the electricity goes out.

It did here just as I was reading about the emergency decree,,,,,luckily it came back on two hours later.

I received an email from the U.S. Embassy about a week ago, advising the following:

"These demonstrations can result in significant traffic disruptions and delays. When they occur, and especially on January 13, you should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to airports. Consider public transportation alternatives.

We advise you to plan ahead. It is prudent to ensure you have a week’s supply of cash, keep your mobile communications devices charged, and stock a two week supply of essential items such as food, water, and medicine."

The advice was general,not just aimed at Bankok residents. Seems like a prudent thing to do for any expat, regardless of nationality. Hope this helps.

Pretty much nothing changes. You can still party and eat like usual. In 2010 you could even sneak into the red shirt zone and get free food smile.png

i recommend you wear a reversible red jacket (yellow on the opposited side) and a Thai flag....

blow a whistle or fire off a round from your sidearm (recommended)

and eat free twice.

Back then I remember the only things that were hard to find / sold out, even in Hua Hin and most hotels, were:

- Coke light

- Schweppes Tonic

- Soda water

probably because farangs all stocked-up. Or was it during the floods? Well anyway that was the only shortage I ever suffered lol.

James

You should always have some emergency supplies on hand but for practical purposes the protests will just

be an inconvenience to people living in the protest areas. No 7/11's were looted because of shortages

in 2010. Maybe a few were looted in a crime of opportunity as mobs often do. sad.png

Well, up here in my part of Isaan, back in 2010 and again during the floods, the local shops ran out of Singha drinking water, coke products, bread, and beer. Oh, yeah, we stocked up on rice, and fed four households. But the electric, interweb, phone, and public water stayed on.