The Grand Palace dress code

careless

So we're thinking of checking out The Grand Palace. I've been reading about the dress code and was wondering how strictly they are adhered to? Does anyone know if knee length shorts for a woman would be OK? How about a blouse with sleeves to your elbows?

thank you in advance

Just carry a sarong with you so you can wrap that around your waist and it will cover as long as is necessary.

If you're really worried about bare shoulders, care an extra to use as a shawl.

To be safe, go long pants, but keep it loose.

Blouse with sleeves to elbows is fine. But fabric should not be too thin that we can see the colour of her undergarments.

Don't let the people trying to rent you clothes in front say otherwise.

Dress conservatively, basically. And be respectful of the location smile.pngthumbsup.gif

800px-Grand_Palace_dress_code.JPG

…and if you walk in sandals, they have to be closed (with a strap) on the back – i.e. dress polite as when visiting a royal castle and religious monument (like a cathedral) in every civilized part of the world. Dress and footwear are normally available (believe for a small rent) at the entrance.

800px-Grand_Palace_dress_code.JPG

…and if you walk in sandals, they have to be closed (with a strap) on the back – i.e. dress polite as when visiting a royal castle and religious monument (like a cathedral) in every civilized part of the world. Dress and footwear are normally available (believe for a small rent) at the entrance.

Unless you are Thai. I have visited The Grand Palace often and noted loads of Thai's wearing slip on's with open heels. Footwear is available to rent for a reason. wink.png

• Like 1

Excuse me, I am not sure why there is a need to ask...

Wat Phra Geow is the holiest shrine in the Kingdom of Thailand. The Jade Buddha image is of unknown centuries, cultures and civilizations past, found buried in a chedi in the north a few hundred years ago, fought hammer and tong with the Burmese to be returned to Siam, floated on the River after the sacking of Ayutthaya, whose clothes can only be changed by His Majesty The King personally...

Sure, Thai culture allows farang and others to display their ignorance and attire inappropriately... and they generally get the inappropriate tourist experience

On my first visit in 1984, I dressed as though I would attend my own Church house, wearing a white shirt and tie. The tour guide was besotted and within 2 minutes sidelined me to enquire why I had dressed in such a formal manner. I explained that it was my respect for this place and its reverence in Thai culture. Can't speak for the rest of the group who seemed to be free to wander around, but I received a personal tour of the shrine, explanations of each and every aspect of the Temple, its walls, the guardian angels... every detail.

Dress to the nines and enjoy a reverent and very worthwhile experience.

• Like 2