State of emergency 'would be a breach of people's rights'

webfact

State of emergency 'would be a breach of people's rights'
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra administration should not declare a state of emergency to deal with protesters as it would enable the government to use arbitrary power that would affect citizen's rights, Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher for Human Rights Watch (HRW), said yesterday.

"[it] would only make the situation worse because it would allow the government to use power arbitrarily without safeguards against human-rights violations, and when violations happen officials would not be held responsible."

Sunai, speaking at the launch of HRW's Global Report, said the government should learn from the mistake of the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration in 2010, when the Army continued to be "above the law" despite nearly 100 deaths on both sides.

He condemned protesters and red shirts for using "excessive violence" on November 30 in Ramkhamhaeng and said there was no independent inquiry into excessive use of force by the police and protesters on December 26 at the Thai-Japanese Youth Centre.

Sunai also expressed "serious concerns about the erosion of free speech in Thailand" through the continued use of the lese majeste law by both sides of the political divide. He criticised Yingluck for not amending the law, contrary to her expressed concerns about the law before she was elected.

On tolerance to free speech, "both sides have almost zero tolerance to different political opinion," he said, adding that several journalists were attacked by protesters including German photojournalist Nick Nostitz, while the government pressured the media to report favourably about their activities or position.

In the deep South, 90 per cent of victims of violence are now civilians. Sunai criticised the state's "colonialist Thai supremacist discourse" on the deep South. On the other hand, separatists had a policy of no-tolerance for non-Malay Muslims, he said. "So the situation in the South is very grim."

HRW is also concerned about the mistreatment of the Rohingya boat people or refugees who are intercepted and detained by Thai authorities and not allowed to be screened for refugee status.

"Most Rohingya men are detained in a very crowded situation and some of them have died," he said, adding that some Rohingya women were raped repeatedly by traffickers.

Rohingya, Sunai said, had become "a lucrative merchandise for Thai officials".

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-22

well, quite. Thats sort of the point of a state of emergency. You declare that a specific time period, the rights guaranteed by the constitution are suspended and peope dont have the freedom of movement and organisation that they would have if it wasnt a state of emergency.

Admittedly this isnt the conclusion drawn by HRW who simply pointed out that human rights were being curtailed (obviously). Its more at the weird headline.

Sunai knows that Rohimgya have evolved to "lucrative merchandise" for the Thais. Sunai also knows that the Thai south is a huge problem. Yet this is the first mention of the Rohingya and human trafficking in two/three months in the Thai press? The Thai press doesn't care to regularly report the Thai south matter or the Rohingya and other human traffickers.

• Like 2

Oh come on Khun Pravit from The NATION, and Sutheps means of protesting ISN'T a breach of OTHER peoples human rights. For the life of me I cannot see how the certain tabloids can print such trash....

Well they are literally not a "tabloid" but they certainly write like one.

• Like 1

What is this dog, Khun Sunai from the so called HRW group doing about the protesters infringing on the common citizens rights to gain access to roads etc. These protesters or rather terrorists have cuased so much inconveniences for many ordinary citizens and these terrorists have seized roads, caused businesses and livehoods to collapse. Khun Sunai , go hang yourself first!

My apologies if my postings were a bit rude but I am so emotinally upset as a result of the inconveneinecs that I have to endure each day by these road blockages by these terrorists who behave like their fathers own the roads and bangkok. Plus its affceting so many other aspects of our daily lives for most Bangkokians.

• Like 2

Stopping people from going to work, going about their daily lives uninhibited and being able to vote is effected the majorities rights also. I guess only one side (Sutheps) is entitled to rights

You obviously weren't around in 2009 and 2010 then?

Let's be adults and talk about today shall we?

My apologies if my postings were a bit rude but I am so emotinally upset as a result of the inconveneinecs that I have to endure each day by these road blockages by these terrorists who behave like their fathers own the roads and bangkok. Plus its affceting so many other aspects of our daily lives for most Bangkokians.

Ahh, just look up the word "terrorist", apply this in context and you will be OK.. Sounds like you havent been here long, but I can see your point... :)

Best advice is move out of Bangkok; after all, the dump is sinking anyway !

Stopping people from going to work, going about their daily lives uninhibited and being able to vote is effected the majorities rights also. I guess only one side (Sutheps) is entitled to rights

To a Bangkokian, the right to protest for months, to block roads, to have motorcycles zipping up and down crowded sidewalks, to ride a motorcycle with 3 toddlers and 2 adults (no helmets of course), to throw rubbish anywhere, to take over public thoroughfares as personal domain to set up shops, feed and maintain a growing population of street dogs that are never vaccinated against rabies, etc. are regarded as intrinsic rights of Thainess.

Outside Bangkok, those uneducated rubber, rice farmers and peasants in general (in this predominantly agricultural country) are not entitled to the same benefits Bangkokians enjoy.

Remember: Bangkok IS Thailand !!!

To a Bangkokian, the right to protest for months, to block roads, to have motorcycles zipping up and down crowded sidewalks, to ride a motorcycle with 3 toddlers and 2 adults (no helmets of course), to throw rubbish anywhere, to take over public thoroughfares as personal domain to set up shops, feed and maintain a growing population of street dogs that are never vaccinated against rabies, etc. are regarded as intrinsic rights of Thainess.

Outside Bangkok, those uneducated rubber, rice farmers and peasants in general (in this predominantly agricultural country) are not entitled to the same benefits Bangkokians enjoy.

Remember: Bangkok IS Thailand !!!

Sarcasm doesn't translate well, and I have to assume this is what this post is!

ANYONE that thinks PT or any of their cronies give a dam about HR of Thais or any forigner in Thailand is a fool

I believe that anyone who thinks that Thai politicos (of any shirt color) or political groups in Thailand (national or foreign) gives a dam about HR is a fool.

Why do you think Thaksin became popular and likeable to the "uneducated farmers and peasants? He saw the potential to garner votes and so his policies were for a while aimed at benefiting all outside urban areas.

Amart could never see or understand that. It is not in their nature to leave their Bangkokian ivory towers. Bangkok is Thailand.

That Thaksin tried to eat (and did) more than one slice of the pie (as all politicos have done since time immemorial) is only what compels the elite to spread the well justified dislike of Thaksin. How dare he to try to eat the whole pie and leave nothing for us!!!

Amart, wannabe elite from the South and urban Democrats never mention the breach of the GSM convention during Thaksin tenure.

What matters is that Mr. T cornered the government trough and did not let them usurp from the public coffers.

That in itself is an inherent part of Thainess.

Oh come on Khun Pravit from The NATION, and Sutheps means of protesting ISN'T a breach of OTHER peoples human rights. For the life of me I cannot see how the certain tabloids can print such trash....

Because the Nation IS a trash tabloid, just why TV suckles on its teat I can only assume has something to do with sponsorship.

As for this heading too late its already done and it breaches no human right. In fact it is the duty of a government to protect the people and SOE is there to facilitate it when required, it is definitely required here.

Good policing should control all here but the problem is that there is no good policing. We get a major problem every 3-4 years and the police are not up to the job, history has proved it running around on motor cycles and old worn out maroon pick-ups to set up road blocks for tea money.

My idea of a police force is prevention better than cure but this is something they are not trained to do. Foot patrols, mixing with the community, knowing families in rural areas, getting confidence of the people, enjoying their work rather than running it as a business.

Just look at the major crimes here, mega corruption, murders, drugs, scams, The police does not make any headway into all these because of VIP persons involved, and seemingly they are here to protect these. Most persons caught are the poor, unable to pay out money, or the small time drug smokers/dealers, when do we get the big boys who are in control ??

If the police were well organized they could easily manage this BKK problem. (they have the numbers) but where are they to be found ?

• Like 1

TERRORISTS? It is not the protesters shooting rounds on ammo and throwing grenades!

How fickle... seems most people are going about their daily work and business, enjoying the lack of traffic jams and the "normal" impediments that Bangkokians endure 24/7

• Like 1

Since we will have a State of Emergency for 60 days, do that indicate that the election will be delayed? With a state of Emergency there can not be any large gatherings, so how can politicians get out to see the people? How can they have the large party functions, to issue 500 Baht encouragement for the voters to get out and vote. coffee1.gif

The HRW is correct. This is immensely troubling, and the wording of the emergency decree was on display today, and it is a veritable litany of human rights being ignored. The use of the emergency decree to clamp down on free speech is alarming, and naturally would include all forms of the media and books. It is chilling. And it is all for one purpose - and it is not for the protection of the Thai people. It is for the protection of the Yingluck administration. And it is being overseen by Chalerm and Thaksin's cousin. Could the optics be any worse ?

• Like 1