Red-shirt core leader Kwanchai shot

webfact

Don't forget this is a concrete post poured by a Thai contractor. Also it looks like their amazing weapon shot a two or three inch piece out of that rebar. I wonder if Kwanchai was sitting out in that field or in that sandbox drinking his coffee.

Well, so were these Berts-Hopewell2.jpg?height=151&width=200 but I digress.

According to Khaosod:

Ms. Wongsamorn Prasatthong, 29, an official of We Love Udon Group, told police she was working in the office when she heard three loud bangs. She said she mistook them as firecrackers, but soon afterwards she heard salvo of gunshots and realised it was gunfire.

According to Ms. Wongsamorn, after the gunfire ceased, she looked at direction of Mr. Kwanchai′s residence and saw the Redshirt leader slumping onto the sofa near the front porch. She said she immediately called for help and transported Mr. Kwanchai to hospital..........
Medical staff at hospital said Mr. Kwanchai was shot twice in the right arm, and once in the right thigh. The bullets "damaged important section of neurons," but Mr. Kwanchai′s condition has been described as stable. http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1ETTNPRE0yTWc9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=
Edited by fab4

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to love the Thaivisa ballistics experts who can tell the calibre of bullet and the range it was fired from by looking at some grainy photo of a hole in a concrete post. Any ideas on the make and model?

It's difficult to be sure of the make or model of the concrete post. One assumes it is 4 inches wide and made of low grade Thai concrete.

What I was saying the damage did not look consistent with 3 hits of 7.62mm at the reported distance of 100m

As for the ballistics knowledge you are attempting to take the pssi out of, pray tell us, what do you think?

Well I guess I would have to do the unthinkable and admit I have no idea at all.

Don't forget this is a concrete post poured by a Thai contractor. Also it looks like their amazing weapon shot a two or three inch piece out of that rebar. I wonder if Kwanchai was sitting out in that field or in that sandbox drinking his coffee.

According to Khaosod:

Ms. Wongsamorn Prasatthong, 29, an official of We Love Udon Group, told police she was working in the office when she heard three loud bangs. She said she mistook them as firecrackers, but soon afterwards she heard salvo of gunshots and realised it was gunfire.

According to Ms. Wongsamorn, after the gunfire ceased, she looked at direction of Mr. Kwanchai′s residence and saw the Redshirt leader slumping onto the sofa near the front porch. She said she immediately called for help and transported Mr. Kwanchai to hospital..........
Medical staff at hospital said Mr. Kwanchai was shot twice in the right arm, and once in the right thigh. The bullets "damaged important section of neurons," but Mr. Kwanchai′s condition has been described as stable. http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1ETTNPRE0yTWc9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=

Got a lot of research cut out for you, looking into economic matters of the Thai past here; the whip is cracking, better get started boy! Before the red commies brainwash you further into foreign guest turned supporter submission.

Re; 'they should have got a better shooter' etc.

I was reading that he was shot in the arm and leg, and is 'stable' condition. And also he is not a fit young guy either, so I feel that if the person was firing an assault rifle with intent to kill him they could have finished the job easily enough. This seems like it was intended to wound him, for that to cause knock-on effects among loyal followers, he returns from hospital as the noble tousled lion, a hero of the cause etc. It just seems convenient that they had that hand-cannon and he was standing there and they only tagged his arm and leg. He doesn't look like the athletic flying ninja kinda guy. Its very suspicious to me, but I could be wrong.

However I hope for his swift recovery, and my thoughts are with his family. Justice should involve courts of law, and lengthy prison sentences if a man such as this has committed crimes. We don't want a future where justice is administered by anonymous gunmen.

• Like 1

I was reading that he was shot in the arm and leg, and is 'stable' condition. And also he is not a fit young guy either, so I feel that if the person was firing an assault rifle with intent to kill him they could have finished the job easily enough. This seems like it was intended to wound him, for that to cause knock-on effects among loyal followers, he returns from hospital as the noble tousled lion, a hero of the cause etc. It just seems convenient that they had that hand-cannon and he was standing there and they only tagged his arm and leg. He doesn't look like the athletic flying ninja kinda guy. Its very suspicious to me, but I could be wrong.

However I hope for his swift recovery, and my thoughts are with his family. Justice should involve courts of law, and lengthy prison sentences if a man such as this has committed crimes. We don't want a future where justice is administered by anonymous gunmen.

Rubbish...........Why try and demolish a fence post.............rolleyes.gif ...Shooters were AH with nooooooooooooo idea....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Rubbish...........Why try and demolish a fence post.............rolleyes.gif ...Shooters were AH with nooooooooooooo idea....coffee1.gif

I actually agree with you, but I still can't see why somebody who wanted to kill him would travel out there, and not finish what they started. But I'm just guessing. The other possibility is it was a warning to him. Or that the shooters were incompetent, but even so, you would expect them to finish it when he probably fell to the floor clutching his leg he must have shown signs of life. I don't buy it, plus I will wait to see how hard this particular news cow gets milked by the pro-red machine in the coming days. One angle I would consider is that farmers are joining the Suthep protest, this could be a clumsy attempt to shift the blame onto him and get the farmers back on side. Its all speculation, but theres not much else to do with this one, it doesn't add up to me at all.

I actually agree with you, but I still can't see why somebody who wanted to kill him would travel out there, and not finish what they started. But I'm just guessing. The other possibility is it was a warning to him. Or that the shooters were incompetent, but even so, you would expect them to finish it when he probably fell to the floor clutching his leg he must have shown signs of life. I don't buy it, plus I will wait to see how hard this particular news cow gets milked by the pro-red machine in the coming days. One angle I would consider is that farmers are joining the Suthep protest, this could be a clumsy attempt to shift the blame onto him and get the farmers back on side. Its all speculation, but theres not much else to do with this one, it doesn't add up to me at all.

we should consider the possibility that the shooters were only aiming for the neurons.

• Like 1

I have absolutely zero sympathy for this particular imbecile, who has preached violence and hatred for years. However, these incidents also could incite further troubles which will affect everyone.

We can only hope that the Thai police will be as proficient whistling.gif at finding this guy's would-be assassin as they have been with all the other shootings and bombings related to the current protests, wherein most of the targets have been protesters or their allies.

• Like 1

According to Khaosod:

"The bullets "damaged important section of neurons," "

I thought the bullets hit his leg and arm, not his arse (ass for Americans).

• Like 1

I have absolutely zero sympathy for this particular imbecile, who has preached violence and hatred for years. However, these incidents also could incite further troubles which will affect everyone.

We can only hope that the Thai police will be as proficient whistling.gif at finding this guy's would-be assassin as they have been with all the other shootings and bombings related to the current protests, wherein most of the targets have been protesters or their allies.

they will probably get a larger than usual tip for solving this one.

This is a first report and first reports always get modified.

Still, it's no secret an assault rifle is far more powerful and devastating than a handgun, so this is a serious development. If the elite groupings are involved going after one of their own, broadly speaking, then none of them are safe.

And this is a bushwhacking, a targeted pickoff attempt, which begins to add an eeriness to the shadow boxing already going on.

Actually if it was an M16 which uses 5.56 NATO rounds then NO a 45 or 357 is more devastating. It's a larger slug.

Edit : it seems it was an AK47.. 7.62... much bigger slug

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shows what you know about guns. The muzzle velocity of a .45 is less than 850 fps. Link.

The speed of a .357 magnum with a typical 158 gr bullet is about 1100 fps. Link

The speed of an M193 bullet fired from an M16 is 3,165 fps. Link

There is something called ballistic energy that cannot be matched by any handgun due in part to a short barrel requiring a fast burning powder that doesn't have time to get the bullet up to speed. The rifle will have a slightly slower burning powder and will accelerate the bullet all the way down the barrel.

Haha, I just read his statement also. I thought about responding, but figured what what's the use with some folks. I, however, was curious if you would jump on and enlighten.

I suppose he would think a 5.7 x .28 a wimpy shot also . . ,-

But if the wind was blowing at 3.75 kilometres per hour from the south east,what effect would this have???

This is a first report and first reports always get modified.

Still, it's no secret an assault rifle is far more powerful and devastating than a handgun, so this is a serious development. If the elite groupings are involved going after one of their own, broadly speaking, then none of them are safe.

And this is a bushwhacking, a targeted pickoff attempt, which begins to add an eeriness to the shadow boxing already going on.

Actually if it was an M16 which uses 5.56 NATO rounds then NO a 45 or 357 is more devastating. It's a larger slug.

Edit : it seems it was an AK47.. 7.62... much bigger slug

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shows what you know about guns. The muzzle velocity of a .45 is less than 850 fps. Link.

The speed of a .357 magnum with a typical 158 gr bullet is about 1100 fps. Link

The speed of an M193 bullet fired from an M16 is 3,165 fps. Link

There is something called ballistic energy that cannot be matched by any handgun due in part to a short barrel requiring a fast burning powder that doesn't have time to get the bullet up to speed. The rifle will have a slightly slower burning powder and will accelerate the bullet all the way down the barrel.

Haha, I just read his statement also. I thought about responding, but figured what what's the use with some folks. I, however, was curious if you would jump on and enlighten.

If the wind was blowing at 3.75 kilometres per hour from the south east,what effect would have???

I wouldn't be surprise if someone does not try to retaliate for the shorting. Maybe either a high ranking military officer or one of the protest leaders. If they want to military to get more involved this should do the tick.

Red tin foil hat is probably the thickest foil hat in the world. No amount of facts or evidence could change their ways. Whatever happens in Thailand, it is never their fault. The whole life is just one big conspiracy and everyone is out there to get them. In life some people step out of the line, get too big for their boots and eventually get punished by their own for overstepping the mark.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 1

According to Khaosod:

The way I read the news article is, 3 carefully targeted shots at his arm and leg and make sure not to hit any vital organs, then unload the gun on automatic on the concrete post.

• Like 1

Oh dear! The AK-47 shoots 4-6" groups at 100m so the bullet through his arm could have just as easily got his heart. It is quite possible he may lose the limb, or at minimum lose much of its use. Trust me, nobody volunteers to get shot with this round for kudos.

OTOH hand you are right. Somebody with a little more intestinal fortitude could have driven up much closer and done the job properly. Quite possibly, shooting from 100m was somebody confusing their ambition with their ability.

• Like 1

Got a lot of research cut out for you, looking into economic matters of the Thai past here; the whip is cracking, better get started boy! Before the red commies brainwash you further into foreign guest turned supporter submission.

It was an attempt to bring levity to a thread that's had some posts reaching an all time low. You'll see that I added an article from a newspaper that appeared to answer the person I was replying to's question as to where Kwanchai was when he was shot. What that has to do with Thailands "economic matters of the past" I fail to see.

If you regard my post as the result of some "red commie brainwashing", that's your problem, not mine.

Thai pro-government leader shot as protesters fight on
by Daniel ROOK, Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, January 22, 2014 (AFP) - A leader of Thailand's pro-government "Red Shirt" movement was wounded Wednesday in a shooting in the northeast, stirring tensions as opposition protesters ignored a state of emergency imposed in the capital.

Local radio host Kwanchai Praipana, one of the main figures behind the Red Shirts' mass rallies in 2010 in Bangkok that ended in a bloody military crackdown, was shot in the shoulder and knee by an unidentified man, police said.

"It's likely that the motive for the shooting is political," Police Colonel Kowit Charoenwattanasak told AFP by telephone from the province of Udon Thani, adding Kwanchai's life was not in danger.

The attack came as a state of emergency went into force in Bangkok and nearby areas to deal with mass protests trying to force Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office.

The Red Shirts are broadly loyal to Yingluck's older brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as prime minister by the military seven years ago and lives in Dubai to avoid a jail term for corruption.

While they have largely remained on the sidelines during the current protests, Red Shirt leaders have warned that their supporters could rise up if a government which they helped to elect is removed from power again.

Yingluck is under intense pressure to step down after more than two months of street rallies aimed at ousting her elected government and installing an unelected "people's council".

"We're not taking any notice of the state of emergency and are continuing our protest as usual," rally spokesman Akanat Promphan told AFP.

"It shows that the government is getting desperate because the momentum is with us."

Nine people have been killed and hundreds injured in grenade attacks, drive-by shootings and street clashes since the rallies began at the end of October.

The backdrop to the protests is a years-long political struggle pitting the kingdom's royalist establishment against Thaksin, a billionaire tycoon-turned-politician.

Government vows 'utmost restraint'
The 60-day state of emergency hands broad powers to the security forces.

When the decree was last imposed by the previous government during "Red Shirts" rallies in 2010, more than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured in a crackdown by soldiers firing live rounds and backed by armoured vehicles.

But Yingluck's government said Wednesday that, unlike on that occasion, it had no plans to impose a curfew, restrict public gatherings or censor media.

"The decree is meant to be a deterrent. In no way should there be the use of force, and utmost restraint will be the order of the day," Foreign Ministry Permanent Secretary Sihasak Phuanggetkeow told reporters.

Yingluck has called an election for February 2 but the main opposition party is boycotting the vote.

The Election Commission on Wednesday asked the Constitutional Court to delay the polls due to the unrest, after the government rejected its call for a postponement.

The demonstrators have staged a self-styled "shutdown" of Bangkok since January 13, erecting roadblocks and rally stages at several main intersections.
The number of protesters on the streets has steadily fallen in recent days, with some rally sites almost deserted during the daytime, although turnout tends to swell in the evening when people leave work.

The imposition of the emergency decree appears to be "an exercise intended most immediately to dispel the perception that the government have got their heads down in a bunker somewhere", said Anthony Davis, a Thailand-based security analyst at IHS Jane's.

"This says that they are focused and serious about taking the situation in hand in the run-up to the election date," he told AFP.

"There's not going to be a crackdown at this stage," he added. "The police frankly don't have what it takes unless they know the army is behind them. And the army isn't behind them."

The military, traditionally a staunch supporter of the anti-Thaksin establishment, has said it wants to remain neutral during the current standoff, although the army chief has refused to rule out another coup to seize power from Yingluck.

The demonstrators accuse the premier of being a puppet for her brother, who still has strong electoral support in northern Thailand thanks to his policies to help the rural poor.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-22

It was an attempt to bring levity to a thread that's had some posts reaching an all time low. You'll see that I added an article from a newspaper that appeared to answer the person I was replying to's question as to where Kwanchai was when he was shot. What that has to do with Thailands "economic matters of the past" I fail to see.

If you regard my post as the result of some "red commie brainwashing", that's your problem, not mine.

1123 or so posts of yours indicate otherwise; that it is your obsession in fact.

• Like 1

If the wind was blowing at 3.75 kilometres per hour from the south east,what effect would have???

New ammo would leave the barrel at ~900m/s, would average at least 800m/s over 100m, so max time to target 0.125s. Assuming direct x-wind @ 3,750m/h maximum defection would be (3750/3600)x0.125= 130mm. Competent riflemen work this shit out in their head.

If you don't want to know, don't ask.

Oh dear! The AK-47 shoots 4-6" groups at 100m so the bullet through his arm could have just as easily got his heart. It is quite possible he may lose the limb, or at minimum lose much of its use. Trust me, nobody volunteers to get shot with this round for kudos.

OTOH hand you are right. Somebody with a little more intestinal fortitude could have driven up much closer and done the job properly. Quite possibly, shooting from 100m was somebody confusing their ambition with their ability.

What had occured to me is that it wasn't fired from 100m, but while he was told to lay on the ground or something and the two limbs were shot at close up. The 100m thing seems a bit vague and they don't have the most reliable investigation over here to be honest. I certainly don't think he volunteered for it or knew about it either. I've never held a gun in my life, I was a mission nun where there was a certain amount of gunshot victims and I saw guns being fired at people too. But I don't understand anything about guns except what happens to the unfortunate victims.

But I agree with you and other posters that its just as likely these were incompetent assassins. The timing of this attack is what makes me wonder though, it carries a lot of propaganda currency.

• Like 1

Now we have ballistic experts on here. Amazing ThaiFORUM, haha.

Is it a surprise to you that some TVF members are ex-servicemen and/or hunters? I had the pleasure of firing a couple of hundred rounds through different versions of the AK-47 as a "get to know your enemy's weapons" exercise. It was a long time ago but I remember it well, though I'm buggered if I know what I had for lunch yesterday.

Gemini.... Don't worry if you don't know anything about firearms outside of StarWars, but no need to make light of the knowledge of those that have life experiences. What is your expertise?

I doubt anti-government protesters would go to the North East to pick out a red shirt leader.

It's more likely to be related to some business deal that hasn't worked out.

You may be right -_-

It is true that the yellow anti-government thugs have shown indisputable signs of cowardice.

After having seen their "tactics" to beat a lonely taxi driver, intimidate the media, surround and occupy buildings, or attacking a child... it looks indeed quite unbelievable that they would dare to leave their "safe zone" and venture into the north...

But who knows... Suthep is a finished man. They may have decided to "upgrade" again their strategy to gain power... By any means :wacko:

The problem is that Suthep wants to fight people who don't want to fight, but prefer peace, democracy and elections instead... At least that is good news :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1