the future

stevehaigh

There are two kind of farangs. The first look down on and constantly bash the mai pen rai attitude. The second kind of adopted the attitude and live accordingly. Believe me the latter group is far more happier. I strongly recommend you join the second group!

Must one really choose between adopting the Mai pen rai attitude and having the odd "go" at the locals from time to time when stoopidity reaches critical mass ?

I am reminded of a response made to me by a rather highly placed Thai gentleman a few years ago.

We'd grown to respect one another, mainly, I suspect, because neither of us were young enough to wish to dominate the other and also because neither of us needed anything from the other.

I digress. Sorry mods.

But I asked my Thai friend if he was RED or Yellow. He paused and after some reflection, he smiled and admitted that he was probably both.

"Both, Khun Donnie," he said. "I am a businessman and I have responsibilities. So . . . . Yes. . . . . Both"

Couldn't help but admire him for his appreciation of the power he had over "the situation".

So, both.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

No, can't be both. Choose and even then, it doesn't matter .... To me. .. Song, queen

Seriously, why would anyone want to live that old?

I think it depends primarily on your health. Some very elderly people are blessed with good health - both mental and physical. My own father was still sprighlty and working on academic papers at the age of 89 years.

As to the future of Phuket, especially from the POV of tourism, I can't say that the future is rosy. Look at a map of Myanmar and Thailand. Try to count how many islands stretch down the Myanmar coast. AFAIK, There are more than 800 islands in the Mergui Archipeligo alone, some of them quite large and most of them totally undeveloped.

As Myanmar develops its tourist industry, perhaps upgrades Kawthaung and Dawei airports, it will be Thailand's and Phuket's loss. It will take decades, but it will happen.

Simon

Next time you are in the states, take a trip to one of the nursing homes.

Lots of people staring off into space, slobbering without knowing it, eating tiny amounts of food, and getting skinny-er by the day.

Many of them are in their 80s and 90s.

It doesn't look like much fun and they don't smile or laugh much.

So, whether technology advances, robots take care of us or not, no nuclear wars or radiation getting out of hand, I don't know if I will want to live past 85 or 90.

Like others said, just do all you can now and don't worry too much about who is going to take care of you when you're too old to take care of yourself.

Seriously, why would anyone want to live that old? Even 75 or 80. What the hell kind of life can a person lead at that age? I see many old people barely able to walk , can't hear or see very well, Probably need help using the toilet...probably can't wipe their own ass. A burden on their family. NO Way! how selfish.

i think the goal of biotechnology is not only to extend life, but to actually reverse aging so your brain and body will still be fully functional. anyway, regardless of weather people think its a good idea or not, it will inevitably happen, there will always be people who want to live longer lives and have the money to pay for it.

In 40 years, the main form of public transport on Phuket will still be a tuk-tuk belching stinking fumes. It will still be ridiculously overpriced. It will still be driven by a violent psychopath who may be able to suppress his aggressive tendencies for the duration of the journey. And there will still be at least 2 or 3 articles every month about Phuket's "taxis" beating up tourists over parking spots.

And in 40 years, and older, somewhat mellower, and somewhat more senile NKM will still be here on TV railing against those tuk tuks and the belching stinking fumes mafia! smile.pngsmile.png

I doubt the Thaivisa website will be around in 40 years time for me to post on.

With the constant negative publicity emanating out of Thailand, the Thai Government will have gaoled the webmasters and/or owners for defamation. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I don't share your sanguine outlook on Phuket's long term future. Climate change is projected to be particularly devastating for the tropics. So whereas Phuket may remain livable, Thailand as a country is likely to suffer enormous disruption as its agricultural economy collapses. Whether I will be around to be affected by it is another question.

Unfortunately I don't share your sanguine outlook on Phuket's long term future. Climate change is projected to be particularly devastating for the tropics. So whereas Phuket may remain livable, Thailand as a country is likely to suffer enormous disruption as its agricultural economy collapses. Whether I will be around to be affected by it is another question.

actually i do agree that climate change may have a negative impact on the north, the rice basket of Thailand. its predicted that the north will become drier and the south wetter, less rain in Essan means less food.

i just saw the movie 'her' last night, its on TPB. it's maybe the most thought provoking moving in, well forever, i highly recommend everyone check it out.

I just watched the movie. Wow! I could easily see myself falling for Her. One could also see the story as reflection of intercultural relationships. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

i just saw the movie 'her' last night, its on TPB. it's maybe the most thought provoking moving in, well forever, i highly recommend everyone check it out.

I just watched the movie. Wow! I could easily see myself falling for Her. One could also see the story as reflection of intercultural relationships. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

it would not make it onto my list of all time favorite movies but certainly one of the top thought provoking movies i've ever seen

i think its interesting that the screenwriter, Spike Jonze, wrote that masterpiece after writing the Jackass movies! go figure