Headache from alcohol

ExpatOilWorker

I have never considered myself a heavy drinker, in my 30ish a good night out would tally 10 beers, then in my 40ish I gradually reduced that to 5 beers, the reason being always to avoid hangovers.

Lately even 3 beers and I will wake up the following morning to a full day with a sharp headache in my front right temple (always in the same spot).

Is this a normal reaction to alcohol as you age?

The thought of having a tumor has also crossed my mind and even considered going for a MI scan.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the rate at which the body can metabolise ethanol and its metabolites will decrease from your 20's. The metabolites which cause the headache are hanging around longer in your body and in higher concentrations.

Expect your drinking capacity / alcohol tolerance to keep going in one direction only.

• Like 1

I used to lose entire weekends to hangover headaches. Mostly dehydration, I think. That's one reason I gave it up, but that's a little extreme if your only problem is headaches.

Nowadays, when I get a headache like that, it's usually from changing caffeine intake. Try a shot of coffee next time, followed by a tall glass of water.

And, as Wonka said, check your blood pressure when you have the headache.

Change your drink and see what happens...firstly change the beer brand and see...then if no change, change from beer to spirits, choose one and stick to it.

I had headaches from beer almost instantly several years ago, stopped drinking it altogether and went to gin and then whiskey soda...never a problem since and wake up tired, but fine the next day.

I never get a headache whilst drinking

beer and sometimes get a mild pain the next day but I find another beer normally cures this.

Cause & cure in one product.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.

• Like 1

be blessed, some people are more sensitive to it than others.

I started living early so from my 13-20 I could go on all weekend without a bed or hangovers. now midways my 20's a night out means one day sleeping till at least 4pm im not out in the light.

Good side is that it makes you choose your nights out.

other side from my experience it has alot to do with my tiredness of forhand, working stress, personal issues etc etc.

Hydrational salts before and after drinking can help me sometimes as well

Maybe a combo of wheat intolerance and dehydration, try a night on the cider or just wine maybe if available German beer/lager. As I've got older the ole belly just bloats and pending the beer, stuff like singha and Chang give me rotton hangovers guaranteed all sorts of shot in them

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When you buy bottled beer in Thailand always check the bottling date. I've found beer as old as 18 months on sale. Often the bottles are not stored inside and in Thai temps they can heat up pretty quickly if left in the sun.

Try comparing a fresh beer with a recent bottling or canning date to one that is over a year old! The latter tastes very bad.

Thai's never care about best by or bottling dates. If I buy a beer in a restaurant I always ask for the bottle not open and if it's out of date I reject it.

If you're getting headaches only on those days after you drink, it would seem that it is drinking related, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have it checked if it's persistent and a worry to you. Getting advice on a possible medical issue on a forum like this is about as useful as asking random strangers on the street. If it concerns you, see a real live doctor.

Yes, as you age your alcohol tolerance decreases, but a lot of other things could be going on. A brain tumor is unlikely, but there could be any number of other reasons for recurring headaches.

It's definitely a good idea to have your blood pressure checked as you get older, but hypertension is basically a symptom-less condition, so don't try to diagnose it based on your headaches.

There's a common misconception that people with high blood pressure, also called hypertension, will experience symptoms such as nervousness, sweating, difficulty sleeping or facial flushing. The truth is that HBP is largely a symptomless condition. If you ignore your blood pressure because you think symptoms will alert you to the problem, you are taking a dangerous chance with your life. Everybody needs to know their blood pressure numbers, and everyone needs to prevent high blood pressure from developing.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/SymptomsDiagnosisMonitoringofHighBloodPressure/What-are-the-Symptoms-of-High-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301871_Article.jsp

• Like 2

Give it up mate there is more to life than a drink or a smoke only puts you in an early grave

Actually, it was "the smoke only" that put my grandfather in his early grave in his early 50's.

Check your statistics before spouting off your faux folk wisdom.

Sent from my tin can via string

Where are you drinking these beers?

If you're at home and you cook for yourself then it probably is the beer.

If you're eating out and consuming massive amounts of MSG, then I would say the MSG

is the problem. Just a tad of MSG and I get a massive headache which is why I cook

for myself.

Try a bottle of Gatorade before bed.....Try it.

Try remembering the gatorade before bed....

place on pillow prior to leaving the abode.

I find putting a huge plastic cup of water by the bed (before I even go out) does the trick.

Ones body has less tolerance to alcohol as one ages.

Give up the drink for a month & see if the headaches go away.

If not...go see a doctor and perhaps have an MRI (expensive)

ordered up...keep reading this before you panic...

When the headaches happen do you also have: halucinations-

even minor ones, blurred vision, short term blackouts, fall down,

nauseated feelings, tingling in your extremities and-or other

odd symptoms during or immediately after these headaches?

Odd meaning you have never had these feelings before.

If the answer is no...most probably the headaches are just

booze/dehydration related.

If the answer is yes...you could have a tumour on that side

of your brain somewhere near the temple which will eventually

kill you...I had 3 of the above symptoms.

I don't say this to scare you. I had a tumour in me head close to

the back of my ear at the 2 o'clock position, with the 12 o'clock

position being the top of my ear. It was inoperable due to being

within the reflex centre of that side but with a new nano particle

treatment that was experimental & support from me missus &

friends I won the battle. Nowadays I grab a quick trip to Singapore

once a year for checkups and for the past 9 years that bastard has

not returned.

If in doubt...go see a doctor asap. At least you will know early

and be able to make plans.

• Like 2

Give it up mate there is more to life than a drink or a smoke only puts you in an early grave

The best advice ever crazykipite! I used to be alcohol and drug addicted and gave it all up at age 44. Haven't had a drop of booze or a drug in 22 years and I don't miss it one bit. There's more to life than hanging around a bar all day or in the evenings, or sitting around the house getting drunk or drugged up. All you're doing is inviting trouble of all types and relations with people who will not be in your life very long if not for the boozing together. Let them all go and start over my friend. I'm nearly 66 now and don't look my age and have no health issues. I attribute is to the last 22 years of being drug and alcohol free, plus I have never smoked cigarettes. Just take a look around you at all the boozers and ask yourself if you want to look and feel like they do when you are in your sixties. Time goes by quickly and you will be there before you know it, so take care of your body. Eat right and get plenty of exercise and chances are you will be a healthy older person. And if you've lost your mind and gone for a tattoo, get rid of it. Old men and old women with sagging skin look foolish with their tats. It's a horrible example for their grandkids, or any other kids for that matter. Focus on leaving behind a great legacy and reputation. Believe me, life will be much more rewarding and good to you if you're good to yourself.

Great post fittobethaied. I still smoke occasionally but a pack lasts me 3 to 4

days instead of 5 hours. I also still have a beer or two on occasion but at

least I'm nowhere near the crate & a half before lunch like I used to be. Never

had a tat & don't ever plan on getting one. Easy to eat right...just have to stick

to it & not be swayed by fast junk food when the munchies hit. I ride a mountain

bike daily...around 40K's of trails through flats & hills...and swim in the ocean

10 miles per week. The missus no longer calls me "Ham"sum...it's now handsome.

And by golly I feel great!

The best advice ever crazykipite! I used to be alcohol and drug addicted and gave it all up at age 44. Haven't had a drop of booze or a drug in 22 years and I don't miss it one bit. There's more to life than hanging around a bar all day or in the evenings, or sitting around the house getting drunk or drugged up. All you're doing is inviting trouble of all types and relations with people who will not be in your life very long if not for the boozing together. Let them all go and start over my friend. I'm nearly 66 now and don't look my age and have no health issues. I attribute is to the last 22 years of being drug and alcohol free, plus I have never smoked cigarettes. Just take a look around you at all the boozers and ask yourself if you want to look and feel like they do when you are in your sixties. Time goes by quickly and you will be there before you know it, so take care of your body. Eat right and get plenty of exercise and chances are you will be a healthy older person. And if you've lost your mind and gone for a tattoo, get rid of it. Old men and old women with sagging skin look foolish with their tats. It's a horrible example for their grandkids, or any other kids for that matter. Focus on leaving behind a great legacy and reputation. Believe me, life will be much more rewarding and good to you if you're good to yourself.

Those are choices that everyone has to make for themselves. I seldom drink or do any other drugs but when I do its fun.. but all things with moderation. The thing is once you drink or drug (same same actually) you destroy yourself a little bit and the next day / days you pay for it. It all depends if the person thinks its worth it or not.

A lot of wise advice already given. Hydration is a MUST. Naturally the quantity consumed is a BIG factor. During a BIG session it doesn't hurt to consume a glass of water or 2 between shouts.

One suggestion already offered relates to the brand or type of beer. A large number of beers even in small quantities will give me a headache next morning. Over the past year or so I've experimented & have found certain beers, even in "larger" volume will produce no headache whatsoever. Tired & lethargic, yes. headache, no. A couple of my friends have changed their brand & confer with my findings. I won't offer what brand I drink as we all have different reactions to different brands.

I enjoy an occasional spirit drink but beer is my enjoyment. So, don't give up on the beer. Try a few different brands & I feel you maybe on the right track to getting rid of the headaches.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers..... Mal. burp.giflicklips.gif

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.