ED Visa- Anywhere But Laos?

Hi All,

I'm currently in the Thailand and am about to start studying at a Thai language school in BKK. This is not a university, but an independent language school. The paperwork from the MOE has came back and now I just need to determine which country to visit to obtain my ED visa.

My original plan was to visit Kuala Lampur, Malaysia but I can't find any recent reports of success of obtaining ED Visa... To the contrary the most recent I've read about have been refusals!

It seems like everyone recommends going to Laos, but to be honest Laos sounds boring and I'd like to spend a couple day being a tourist if I'm going to travel to a new country. I wouldn't mind visiting Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, Mynamar, but I'm having trouble finding recent success stories for those areas.

Is Laos now the only viable spot to get the ED Visa now? It's the only spot I'm seeing success stories from in the last 6 months. If it really is I'll go there, but I won't be too excited! Haha

The Penang consulate in Malaysia will do an ED visa.

Cambodia is a maybe and it takes up to 4 days to get the visa.

Myanmar is a possibility they have been reported as being friendly for other visas but you will need a visa in advance to go there.

Vientiane is not all that bad if you just want to be a tourist and do some sight seeing.

Singapore has been reported to be less than friendly for visas.

i got my ED visa processed in Laos. flew to udon thani, bus to friendship bridge for 200B, i think 15B to cross, got Laos visa, 300B for taxi to Vientiane. i was staying at a hotel across the road from the Thai embassy or consulate in Vientiane and i was in and out in just over 24 hours, picking my passport up the next day.

i did this almost one year ago.

• Like 2

Think about your goal, not about traveling. Laos now less boring anyway in case a lot of fast transportation options available. Trip to Malaysia more than year ago gives me damage about 15000 THB, because unusual non-listed religious holiday occur, was written by hand on Consulate door... Lost plane ticket, stay over weekend... Right now KL Consulate issue ED-s only for Uni students.

Time-saver option to Laos are: Buy ticket to International bus going directly to Nong Khai Friendship Bridge border Check point then to Vientiane Bus Station. Company is Transport Co. Ltd, departs from Mo Chit 8 pm and arrive at border 6 am. In case your need Lao Visa, tell them you will end journey at Lao immigration point, so Bus will not wait you after Thai border crossing and they will sell you ticket also. Bus going fast and VIP salon have only 6-8 seats. Bus driver helps all passengers clearThai immigration FAST, you will not wait in the queue with others.

You will finish all formalities at border and arrive at Consulate door about 7-30 am.

Next day return even more easier - from Consulate to Border by Van directly, after cleaning Lao immigration you will see vans going to Udon Thani Airport. Then you return to BKK from Udon by plane.

If you depart BKK on Sunday evening, Tuesday evening you will be in BKK with VISA.

Edited by MeowBundit
  • Like 1

Saigon is super easy to get an ED visa as well. In fact I submitted my experience here on TV

because it was just perfect.

Laos is also super easy and doesn't require a flight, but flights to Vietnam are quite cheap

and it's a wonderful country as well.

Hi,

I went too Panang to get my Education visa. Very easy.

Most important is to check and re-check your documentation form the school.

I went to Language Express in Ploen Chit, very professional job they did but the "Authorities" messed up some of my papers and being in Thai I could not pick it up.

So get a knowledgable Thai reader to check it for you in minute detail.

So check and recheck or it is a trip out of the country wasted.

Good luck

Laos is the go, Vientiene, has many places of interest and if you want to spend a few days there, you could always head down to 1000 islands, or up to Luang Prabang.

Yes Malaysia and other countries do process ED visa's, but if you go with a Visa company, you are guaranteed the visa and it only sets you back 5000 baht in travelling in and out with an overnight stay in a nice hotel and free food. PM me if you would like the company name and I can send you the details, or alternatively, if you are after a little adventure, let me know and I can give you a quick itinerary since you think it is SO boring in Loas, which it is not....

Good Luck and happy travels.

The Penang consulate in Malaysia will do an ED visa.

Cambodia is a maybe and it takes up to 4 days to get the visa.

Myanmar is a possibility they have been reported as being friendly for other visas but you will need a visa in advance to go there.

Vientiane is not all that bad if you just want to be a tourist and do some sight seeing.

Singapore has been reported to be less than friendly for visas.

------------

Personally, I like Penang .... it is more a Chines/ Malay city than a Malay city.

And, although it's been a while since I was there last, i recall that there was no cost for Americans or Brits (most Europeans also( for a visa to enter Malysia.

Almost ALL thai consulates amd embessys will require at least a 24 hour stay because you usually must turn in your paperwork on the mormimg of the first day and return to pick up your passport with visa the fternoon of the 3nd day.

That's the usual standard timing.

Penang is nice because there are good food cetres where you can get a good meal (Asian food) at a cheap price.

My favorites are the Crab in Chilli sauce or the Fish in Chilli sauce.

The reason I like Penang is the Chines influence (many Chinese there) and forthat reason the food..

Almost all, Thai consulates in neighboring countries will give Ed visa, just HAVE YOUR SCHOOL PAPERWORK IN ORDER WHEN YOU ARRIVE.

Check with the consulate you plan to go to FIRST to see if they have any local requirements.

That way you won't be unpleastantly surprised when you arrive there.

Edited by IMA_FARANG