Have you ever Drank Thai Whisky at the small Banboo Hut bar for 10 baht?

lmfao

Just tried this whiskey last night as my neighbor has a small Thai whiskey Bar in the market, It was very strong and like loony juice lol, they also sell the blue ice drink there. Have you tried this whiskey and what was your experience and opinion on these whiskey bar etc.???

Sorry about the spelling mistake of whiskey Grammar police...Lol

post-198216-0-83982700-1390397363.jpg

Edited by lmfao

No, the 10B ones are too upmarket for my liking. I generally find the 5B ones to have my sort of clientele and I can show off by going for the more expensive whisky and occasionally buy a drink for everyone.

But if they don't have the jin som (bbq fermented pork in a banana leaf) I'm not stopping, you've got to provide a service, otherwise I may as well save the expense of buying by the glass and just have it by the bottle at home on my own.

• Like 2

It's called yaa dong; "medicinal liquor" (literally "fermented medicine")...various types are supposed to be beneficial for different "ailments" (blood circulation, impotence, etc.). Probably the cheapest high in Thailand, legal or otherwise, haha.

I used to drink quite a bit of it...a friend and I would go through two fifths (60 baht a fifth) between the two of us, 2-3 nights a week. It's really not that bad, but it's very important to find a reputable maker/seller, meaning someone established and recommended by a friend you trust. The reason is that otherwise you could get the yaa dong that has various substances put into it to give it a bigger "kick," substances you do not want to be taking into your body...such as insecticide. Yeah, you heard that right. The poster that reported always getting a headache after just one glass most likely was exposed to this variety.

As gruesome as it sounds, this is a well-known and regular practice, even more so in places like Cambodia and India, where tens (if not more) of people die yearly due to insecticide and other additives to cheap liquor, and even more regularly go blind from drinking it. It's not as big a problem in Thailand, but you do need to be careful. The place I used to drink it no longer exists, the mouth of Sukhumvit soi 3/1 before that little "food court" went in (this was about 8-9 years ago), and I don't know where the seller moved to. The yaa dong vendor in front of Country Roads on Soi Cowboy is okay; that's where all the girls go to get hammered between gogo dancing shifts. I don't recommend the one across from Morning-Night on Sukh soi 4; I got a debilitating headache after one shot there a bunch of years ago that kept me in bed for an entire day...

Edited by Ajaan
  • Like 2

the joke label we made up for my medicine is Scouse Yaa Dong, we don't sell it but donation of gai yang are willingly accepted, the father in law and brother in law using my still produce a good thai sippen whisky, and it is antifreeze and glycol freeclap2.gif

It's called yaa dong; "medicinal liquor" (literally "fermented medicine")...various types are supposed to be beneficial for different "ailments" (blood circulation, impotence, etc.). Probably the cheapest high in Thailand, legal or otherwise, haha.

I used to drink quite a bit of it...a friend and I would go through two fifths (60 baht a fifth) between the two of us, 2-3 nights a week. It's really not that bad, but it's very important to find a reputable maker/seller, meaning someone established and recommended by a friend you trust. The reason is that otherwise you could get the yaa dong that has various substances put into it to give it a bigger "kick," substances you do not want to be taking into your body...such as insecticide. Yeah, you heard that right. The poster that reported always getting a headache after just one glass most likely was exposed to this variety.

As gruesome as it sounds, this is a well-known and regular practice, even more so in places like Cambodia and India, where tens (if not more) of people die yearly due to insecticide and other additives to cheap liquor, and even more regularly go blind from drinking it. It's not as big a problem in Thailand, but you do need to be careful. The place I used to drink it no longer exists, the mouth of Sukhumvit soi 3/1 before that little "food court" went in (this was about 8-9 years ago), and I don't know where the seller moved to. The yaa dong vendor in front of Country Roads on Soi Cowboy is okay; that's where all the girls go to get hammered between gogo dancing shifts. I don't recommend the one across from Morning-Night on Sukh soi 4; I got a debilitating headache after one shot there a bunch of years ago that kept me in bed for an entire day...

Great knowledge there Ajaan, I will be careful with the yaa dong, lucky enough this guy I went to speaks English, he told me it was good for your back pain.. but to be honest I had a big hangover after it lol

maybe I drank too much of it on one sitting, but he also make's the blue ice drink with the whiskey which was as good as the vodka blue ice which I have paid 300 b for before, he sells this one for 59 b lol I tried one and it had a real kick to it,

there were also 2 lady boys drinking them there, lucky they left me alone, not the annoying slutty robbing lady boys you find in the center of Bangkok, that prey on tourists, <deleted>... Lmfao

There is a spot along a dirt road that I pass by almost every evening on my way home and I'll stop and have the nice lady make me a shot of the honey flavored whiskey. She always has a big smile, rubs her ample breasts across my arm, rubs my big belly, fondles my crotch, makes suggestive offers, etc. What's not to like?

I just have the one shot, joke with the Thai fellers who may be sitting there or even buy them one. Ten baht and money well spent I say.

• Like 1

the red one looks like the one my mrs makes..."ya dong".....first and last time i drank 500ml of it...the tiles on the floor that where going up and down like waves on the ocean looked enticingly cool as i passed out

I used to go to a shop like that on the outskirts of BKK every time we stayed there. It was very good. The alcohol was not being manufactured, though. The lady was just using laokhao from the bottle and then putting in some sugar, some roots and then letting it sit for a while. This is why each one has a different taste, like wheaty or woody or whatever.

I would say a few shots should be fine for a quick stop on the way somewhere else, but if you find yourself turning the corner on 10 shots (easy to do) then you might be in trouble. We bought a bottle to take home to the family and it was a big hit.

Why would anyone like to pour this sh@@ into their bodies beats me.

Don't knock it before you try, what about tequila, this is horrible to drink but still very popular, it's the buzz people enjoy not the taste. But point taken its not the healthiest stuff in the world. I am more worried about the collection of motorcycle taxi that drink there on and off during the day? No wonder I see them speeding along....lol

Edited by lmfao

There is a spot along a dirt road that I pass by almost every evening on my way home and I'll stop and have the nice lady make me a shot of the honey flavored whiskey. She always has a big smile, rubs her ample breasts across my arm, rubs my big belly, fondles my crotch, makes suggestive offers, etc. What's not to like?

I just have the one shot, joke with the Thai fellers who may be sitting there or even buy them one. Ten baht and money well spent I say.

The honey is something they add to it just before you drink it...can't stand it that way myself, but a lot of Thais like it that way.

Why would anyone like to pour this sh@@ into their bodies beats me.

Haha, moderation is the key. People also smoke cigarettes, eat KFC, donuts, etc. None of those things "should go into your body"...but life is short, gotta have some pleasures.

There is a Yaa Dong outlet next door to Titanium in Soi 22, good quality and he even has a couple of tables and chairs there for use by patrons. There are many flavours available but take heed of Ajaan's advice and only drink Yaa Dong from established venues.

What is called jadong is not whisky. It is made from rice, and not from wheat, also called Kao Lao. Here in the South it is mainly produced in the provincial capital of Songkhla and contains 70% alcohol. It is then being mixed with either honey, mangos and other fruits and juices to bring it down to a drinkable level. I never had a problem with it, but if you drink to much of the mostly sweet jadong, you might end up with a headache. But that happens with other "regular" liquors too, especially with sweet ones.

LOL...I paid ten times that and had to fondle my own crotch...

• Like 2

As a qualified ex winemaker and distiller (legal) I would suggest be vary careful with home distilled spirits. If not done correctly the methanol that comes off first that some will contain will cause you big problems. At the end of the distillation the higher alcohols and fusil oils that come off won't help your health, or your head in the morning either , though not as dangerous as methanol.

The main problem is that when the distillation is done, they get more product if they leave these in, so there is a financial incentive to do so.

A good spirit (even a home brew one) should smell clean and fresh when you rub a little between your finger and thumb. No metho smell, and no heavy after smell I can only describe as a sort of dead animal / plastic smell.

This is not to say all home spirits are bad, I've tasted some that were wonderful. Just be careful, the rubbing test before anything is added to the spirit is the best way to know.

With the price of commercial spirits here as low as it is, I wouldn't bother with the home brews unless you find a really good one.

Slauncha va.

• Like 1

If this is the clear very strong thai "whiskey" sold in the villages and called Lao Kao(produced by Singha) then you can watch people quite literally drink themselves to death with it.It surprises me that it can be sold legally as it probably has high levels of methanol (wood alcohol and is toxic) but T.I.T. Drink this, and I suspect headaches would be the least of your problems

This Thai whiskey is made by Singa it is potent, we have a shop and my wife sells little shots at 5bt. It destroys the stomach so many Thai guys die from it, stay clear. I have been here 8 yrs and never and would never touch it.

Then why sell it. Have you no principles?

• Like 2

My missus brings me one, every day, on her way home from work. She says " It's good for your body, made from (laew keaw)". But then she complains when i drink neat leaw keaw with my Thai friends. Can't say it ever made me feel rough, although i do bloomin' sleep well, after drinking it.

I did have a bottle of Hong Thong one time, and I'm still trying to remember where those three days went ( i tell my missus, i was abducted by aliens, but she doesn't believe me). cheesy.gif .

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

actually i really want to know the legalities of making such alcohol. Is it considered wine or whiskey?

How do they make it?

Can I make my own concoction?

If it is true or not. Have been told you just need license. It is license you can buy.

Go to the Police station or contact Thai Department of Commerce. For personal use you probably need only patience.