Have you ever Drank Thai Whisky at the small Banboo Hut bar for 10 baht?

lmfao

What is called jadong is not whisky. It is made from rice, and not from wheat, also called Kao Lao. Here in the South it is mainly produced in the provincial capital of Songkhla and contains 70% alcohol. It is then being mixed with either honey, mangos and other fruits and juices to bring it down to a drinkable level. I never had a problem with it, but if you drink to much of the mostly sweet jadong, you might end up with a headache. But that happens with other "regular" liquors too, especially with sweet ones.

Yes, I think that my relative lack of headaches from it are due to never letting them add the honey.

actually i really want to know the legalities of making such alcohol. Is it considered wine or whiskey?

How do they make it?

Can I make my own concoction?

If it is true or not. Have been told you just need license. It is license you can buy.

Go to the Police station or contact Thai Department of Commerce. For personal use you probably need only patience.

From what i believe , it's illegal to brew your own here.

I used to drink it quite regularly when those bamboo stalls selling Yar Dong in my neighbourhood were staffed by nice young ladies, mostly illegal migrants from Cambo - I learnt my first Khmer words from them. Never had any health issue, although sometimes finished a baen (35 cl flask, 60 Bt) or more in one session. Kamlang Suea Khrong would be my favourite flavour. Now the girls are all gone so I lost interest.

Edited by MaksimMislavsky

while at our local eveing market one night I happened into one of these huts next door. Being the token foreigner there everyone there bought me a drink or two. One thing led to another and while stumbling home (about 1km) I, for some unknown reason, laid down behind our moobans security gate and passed out. Only to be awakened by a downpour of rain. At home I was laughed at by my wife for discovering many hundreds of mosquito bites received during my "Nap". Baptism by fire. And a pounding headache the following day.

Why would anyone drink this poison. ??? How cheap can you get. ??

It's a social experience. At least it was for me. Lighten up. I'm sure you do one or two things that are dangerous for you. Life can't always be safe.

Why would anyone drink this poison. ??? How cheap can you get. ??

It's a social experience. At least it was for me. Lighten up. I'm sure you do one or two things that are dangerous for you. Life can't always be safe.
When the gf took me to visit her family for the first time I was quickly taken to the neighbour's garden where 4 local guys and myself sat and drank what I presumed to be Lao Keow from an old plastic coke bottle. I presume it was home made and knew in the back of my mind that it could be dodgy a damage my health but I drank it anyway to be sociable. Had a great night and no hangover. The next night we drank a bit more as well as a bottle of Hong Thong that I bought and what was left of a bottle of Glen Morangie I had started in Bangkok before we went up north. The next day I definitely had a hangover :D

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

while at our local eveing market one night I happened into one of these huts next door. Being the token foreigner there everyone there bought me a drink or two. One thing led to another and while stumbling home (about 1km) I, for some unknown reason, laid down behind our moobans security gate and passed out. Only to be awakened by a downpour of rain. At home I was laughed at by my wife for discovering many hundreds of mosquito bites received during my "Nap". Baptism by fire. And a pounding headache the following day.

LMFAO the bar owner was telling me of one of his customers, as he was sitting in front of me with a smile on his face,

that when he drinks too much he falls asleep outside other people's house front door's

Your not alone cheesy.gif

My wife's grandma pretty much lives on the stuff.

Brilliant stuff, are we related?

Dont forget the 60 Krong Thep a day.

Years ago was sat with the wifes grandma, she was knocking this stuff back, bek at 10 baht a shot or gat at 25 baht per bottle.

Anyway she was half pissed and let out a big belly laugh, she leant forward and her tit flopped out, looked like a pancake with a rice crispy for a nipple, outta the nipple were about 4 grey hairs at least 6 inches long.

She takes another drag on the cigarette and asks me, same again?

Brilliant stuff, she used to sit there and cuss and swear at anyone who went by the house.

Great old cow, her wedding bowl now commands pride of place in the wifes display cabinet in the front room (but thats another story).

• Like 1

It's called yaa dong; "medicinal liquor" (literally "fermented medicine")...various types are supposed to be beneficial for different "ailments" (blood circulation, impotence, etc.). Probably the cheapest high in Thailand, legal or otherwise, haha.

I used to drink quite a bit of it...a friend and I would go through two fifths (60 baht a fifth) between the two of us, 2-3 nights a week. It's really not that bad, but it's very important to find a reputable maker/seller, meaning someone established and recommended by a friend you trust. The reason is that otherwise you could get the yaa dong that has various substances put into it to give it a bigger "kick," substances you do not want to be taking into your body...such as insecticide. Yeah, you heard that right. The poster that reported always getting a headache after just one glass most likely was exposed to this variety.

As gruesome as it sounds, this is a well-known and regular practice, even more so in places like Cambodia and India, where tens (if not more) of people die yearly due to insecticide and other additives to cheap liquor, and even more regularly go blind from drinking it. It's not as big a problem in Thailand, but you do need to be careful. The place I used to drink it no longer exists, the mouth of Sukhumvit soi 3/1 before that little "food court" went in (this was about 8-9 years ago), and I don't know where the seller moved to. The yaa dong vendor in front of Country Roads on Soi Cowboy is okay; that's where all the girls go to get hammered between gogo dancing shifts. I don't recommend the one across from Morning-Night on Sukh soi 4; I got a debilitating headache after one shot there a bunch of years ago that kept me in bed for an entire day...

Great knowledge there Ajaan, I will be careful with the yaa dong, lucky enough this guy I went to speaks English, he told me it was good for your back pain.. but to be honest I had a big hangover after it lol

maybe I drank too much of it on one sitting, but he also make's the blue ice drink with the whiskey which was as good as the vodka blue ice which I have paid 300 b for before, he sells this one for 59 b lol I tried one and it had a real kick to it,

there were also 2 lady boys drinking them there, lucky they left me alone, not the annoying slutty robbing lady boys you find in the center of Bangkok, that prey on tourists, cun_ts... Lmfao

Interesting parsing system here. 'Damn' and '<deleted>' get modified (as such), but 'shit' does not. Yeah - I know not quite on topic, but couldn't resist...

Edited by Docno

Very popular with bar girls (especially gogo girls) who take a shot between dancing turns.

The friend I mentioned in an earlier post, whom I would drink two baengs (fifths) of yaa dong with several times a week on Sukh soi 3/1 about a decade ago, needed the fortification to go and do her job, finding customers at the soi 7 Biergarten, bless her heart. If I were in her place, I would need at least that much... BTW, she always insisted on alternating paying...if I paid last time, she HAD to pay this time, etc. I know, we're talking 120 baht, but still...

i always think its like drinking irn bru and about as potent, i often sit and have 5 or 6 across the street from me with the locals....as for the ice drinks, my wife and her friends have one every now and then. 100b, one shot of vodka, loads of crushed ice and whatever fruity flavour you choose...oh, and dont forget the few jellies on top !! Youve more chance of dying from eating Jok...its got more salt in it than the malacca straits !

Very popular with bar girls (especially gogo girls) who take a shot between dancing turns.

The friend I mentioned in an earlier post, whom I would drink two baengs (fifths) of yaa dong with several times a week on Sukh soi 3/1 about a decade ago, needed the fortification to go and do her job, finding customers at the soi 7 Biergarten, bless her heart. If I were in her place, I would need at least that much... BTW, she always insisted on alternating paying...if I paid last time, she HAD to pay this time, etc. I know, we're talking 120 baht, but still...

Don't know soi 3/1 to be a 'Ya Dong' area, but the soi between Soi 5 and Soi 7 is a popular hangout for girls to have a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have drink this or something similar at a wedding once, it was made with rice and fermented in some big eatern jar type thing

Have to say not seen them around BKK though, which are reputable vendors, may have a check

That is sato, it's different from the yadong OP is talking about. Whereas Yadong is a hard liquor with herbs soaked into it, sato is more like a rice wine. If made well, it can be kind of tasty. Never seen it in BKK except for the "Siam Sato" they sell in 7-11, which doesn't taste much like the real thing and is honestly only good for cooking.

Don't know soi 3/1 to be a 'Ya Dong' area, but the soi between Soi 5 and Soi 7 is a popular hangout for girls to have a drink.

The 3/1 spot dates back 9-10 years ago, which I explained in my earlier post. Completely transformed now.

I think I may have drink this or something similar at a wedding once, it was made with rice and fermented in some big eatern jar type thing

Have to say not seen them around BKK though, which are reputable vendors, may have a check

That is sato, it's different from the yadong OP is talking about. Whereas Yadong is a hard liquor with herbs soaked into it, sato is more like a rice wine. If made well, it can be kind of tasty. Never seen it in BKK except for the "Siam Sato" they sell in 7-11, which doesn't taste much like the real thing and is honestly only good for cooking.

Street vendors on foot sell sato in many Bangkok neighborhoods, in containers that look like they originally held gasoline or kerosene! It does have a pleasant flavor, and a kick, but just one glass and I can feel the hangover headache beginning already, haha...so I've never dared have more than one. Too sweet for me as well.

Ah yeah, defo had more of a rice wine taste