'Fastest ever' broadband speeds achieved in fibre test

webfact

'Fastest ever' broadband speeds achieved in fibre test
James W. Manning

LONDON: -- The "fastest ever" broadband speeds have been achieved in a test that hit 1.4 terabits per second – enough to transmit 44 high-definition movies in just one second.

British Telecom (BT) and French networking equipment company Alcatel-Lucent conducted the test on the existing fibre network in London, with the hope of maximising the efficiency of the current infrastructure and avoiding costly upgrades.

"It's a reaction to the growth in demand for video content," Foad Fadaghi, managing director of technology analyst firm Telsyte, told Fairfax Media. "It's about reducing the cost of carrying vast amounts of data over the coming years."

Chief executive of broadband analyst firm Point Topic, Oliver Johnson, agreed, telling the BBC: "BT and Alcatel-Lucent are making more from what they've got ... It allows them to increase their capacity without having to spend much more money."

Researchers used what is known as "flexigrid" infrastructure, creating an "alien super channel" made up of seven 200 gigabits per second (Gbps) channels. These channels – the paths that data travel between two nodes on a network – were combined to give a total capacity of 1.4 terabits per second.

The gaps between these transmission channels were reduced, thereby increasing the channels' density, resulting in a 42.5 per cent increase in the efficiency of data transmission compared to current standard networks.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/fastest-ever-broadband-speeds-achieved-in-fibre-test-20140123-hv9lf.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-23

• Like 2

I want it NOW!

My mind was blown by the measured 100Mbps I was getting from a hotel room in Seoul, and it was free.

Meanwhile my parents in Bexhill are struggling with a less-than-reliable BT connection at 10Mbps.

• Like 1

I want it NOW!

My mind was blown by the measured 100Mbps I was getting from a hotel room in Seoul, and it was free.

Meanwhile my parents in Bexhill are struggling with a less-than-reliable BT connection at 10Mbps.

My own home connection is faster than that but imagine what the households speeds must be like.

Thailand will wait until this technology is outdated and obsolete, it will then start offering it to users at a highly inflated price and will not deliver 1/10th of the expected speeds.

5 years later you may get 1/2 the expected speed, and a lower cost, and hear about the latest, greatest new tech that has already surpassed the tech that surpassed what you have.

• Like 2

not so sure about that, i get 30-50 mbps here in Bangkok, faster than most everyone i know regardless of location. Speeds like that would only serve to bury most peoples disks anyways.

i may be wrong, but can ssd even write that fast?

Edited by HooHaa

Oh the irony of this being reported in the SMH, where the country is expected to get 100Mbps in 10 years time due to the NBN rollout (if that ever gets untangled), when 1Gbps is beginning to roll out in the US and, as others have stated, places like Hong Kong and Korea are already getting 60 - 100Mbps. I was lucky to get 2Mbs in Australia 7 months ago for $70/month access - not enough to stream YouTube or TED videos full screen, and often not enough for the small sized player. At least in Huahin i can watch streamed videos for less than $20/month internet access.

Oh the irony of this being reported in the SMH, where the country is expected to get 100Mbps in 10 years time due to the NBN rollout (if that ever gets untangled), when 1Gbps is beginning to roll out in the US and, as others have stated, places like Hong Kong and Korea are already getting 60 - 100Mbps. I was lucky to get 2Mbs in Australia 7 months ago for $70/month access - not enough to stream YouTube or TED videos full screen, and often not enough for the small sized player. At least in Huahin i can watch streamed videos for less than $20/month internet access.

korea has just tested a 5g system that it thinks in can have fully operational in 5 or 6 years.

not so sure about that, i get 30-50 mbps here in Bangkok, faster than most everyone i know regardless of location. Speeds like that would only serve to bury most peoples disks anyways.

Check out my speed here it doesn't bury my ssd and this is the average speed

cS12hX6.jpg

it will be available in Thailand in about 145 years most probably .coffee1.gif

About the same time 4G will become available throughout Thailand.

Ah, and you still cand 'use' it, as once you pass a small GB usage, you drop to EDGE. What is the point of paying B1k or so for quickly downloading one good movie from your cloud drive?

cS12hX6.jpg

I have Load envy .... tongue.png

I assume you did this whilst in SGP. Interesting that Starhub's U/load speed is 70% of the D/Load speed.

What's your D/load speed when connected to (say) a US host server from SGP?

cS12hX6.jpg

I have Load envy .... tongue.png

I assume you did this whilst in SGP. Interesting that Starhub's U/load speed is 70% of the D/Load speed.

What's your D/load speed when connected to (say) a US host server from SGP?

Probably the same speed since the easily fooled (by local cache servers) Flash/Ookla-based speed tester Speedtest.net is being used. While Speedtest.net is fine/accurate for local testing, it can be easily fooled in testing to international/distant servers.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

cS12hX6.jpg

That is mega bits per second, or 1/8 MBps (mega bytes per second.) There are 8 bits in a byte, so you are getting 19+ MBps. Not bad at all, really

I just upgraded to 60 MBps from 30 and I think it was a mistake for the money. Many servers including Microsoft with updates throttle you down to a max download speed and I can test 60 - 65 MBps, but it takes me several seconds to download most 60 MB files - about the same as when I had 30.

Every once in while I find an unthrottled server and shabaam - :)

cS12hX6.jpg

That is mega bits per second, or 1/8 MBps (mega bytes per second.) There are 8 bits in a byte, so you are getting 19+ MBps. Not bad at all, really

I just upgraded to 60 MBps from 30 and I think it was a mistake for the money. Many servers including Microsoft with updates throttle you down to a max download speed and I can test 60 - 65 MBps, but it takes me several seconds to download most 60 MB files - about the same as when I had 30.

Every once in while I find an unthrottled server and shabaam - smile.png

Yup that's right when i download from youtube i get around 20MBps which is very fast especially for HD videos.

cS12hX6.jpg

yes,but that is a far cry from 1.4 tb/sec ith the op which i was referring to, albeit unclearly.

Also as has been pointed out, you would need on hell of an NIC

Edited by HooHaa