Study: Facebook to lose 80 pct. of users by 2015

Maestro

1 day 36 minutes ago

Study: Facebook to lose 80 pct. of users by 2015

Have you been infected with Facebook?
Don't worry, like a viral outbreak, Facebook use will explode before plummeting down to Myspace levels of obscurity, says a new study from Princeton University.
Using epidemiological models used to study the rapid spread of disease, the researchers found that Facebook has "already reached the peak of its popularity and has entered a decline phase."
How bad will it get? Facebook will lose "80 percent of its peak user base between 2015 and 2017," according to the researcers. To explain why social networks are like infectious diseases, the study pointed to similar research done with ideas.
-- News 4 Tucson 2014-01-22
  • Like 1

Well, Facebook is not Myspace....they were both social media platforms but Facebook has many more functions, links to other social media platforms, and other components. It may go down, but also Facebook inventors may have anticipated this downward phase already.

I for one love Facebook for its connectivity possibilities. It works well for educational purposes, group collaboration, etc. Just depends how and why you use it.

Just calling it dumb (poster in #2) is really a kneejerk reaction from someone ignorant to what it is capable of as a free social media and collaborative platform.

• Like 1

I for one love Facebook for its connectivity possibilities. It works well for educational purposes, group collaboration, etc. Just depends how and why you use it.

Have to agree with that. Initially I thought the same about it being just so much 'fluff' but now am part of research groups, both nationally and Internationally, that use it to collaborate, share ideas, update others on current research technologies, etc. If anything will be going down, believe Twitter would be more likely. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Well, Facebook is not Myspace....they were both social media platforms but Facebook has many more functions, links to other social media platforms, and other components. It may go down, but also Facebook inventors may have anticipated this downward phase already.

Just calling it dumb (poster in #2) is really a kneejerk reaction from someone ignorant to what it is capable of as a free social media and collaborative platform.

Well aware of its social capability.....first place tax office, police, media or anyone looks is faceache oops facebook

facetuck is utterly useless anyway.

tominbkk, on 24 Jan 2014 - 04:08, said:snapback.png

REALLY? connectivity? ah, yes it rapes your address book when you sign up, than terrorises anyone you`d know with invites.regardless if you just wrote to a peer something like "sodomize yourself" or "want to meet for a beer?" he is in your address book - let's connectblink.png

I gave up FB long ago when people started swamping my inbox and wall with stupid pictures of their breakfasts and suppers, moronic jokes, pseudo-enlightened proverbs, childish cartoons, right-wing and left-wing party slogans, and of course the utterly obnoxious and ever-present "if you don't pass this on to all your friends within 15 minutes you'll be stricken by 10 years of bad luck"-letters.

Never looked at Facebook before it was popular. Never looked at it whilst it was popular. Wont notice when it's gone.

Facebook is a cracking example of cretins spouting incomprehensible drivel to imbeciles. It is beaten into banal insignificance only by Twatter.

Has a single worthwhile phrase ever been posted on Facebook or any other "social media"? I doubt it.

• Like 1

facetuck is utterly useless anyway.

tominbkk, on 24 Jan 2014 - 04:08, said:snapback.png

REALLY? connectivity? ah, yes it rapes your address book when you sign up, than terrorises anyone you`d know with invites.regardless if you just wrote to a peer something like "sodomize yourself" or "want to meet for a beer?" he is in your address book - let's connectblink.png

Really? I just clicked decline on the offer to look through my contacts, and it never bothered me again. Read the instructions! thumbsup.gif

I gave up FB long ago when people started swamping my inbox and wall with stupid pictures of their breakfasts and suppers, moronic jokes, pseudo-enlightened proverbs, childish cartoons, right-wing and left-wing party slogans, and of course the utterly obnoxious and ever-present "if you don't pass this on to all your friends within 15 minutes you'll be stricken by 10 years of bad luck"-letters.

Facebook has a "block" function. Very useful! Pity you couldn't figure out how to use it!

Never looked at Facebook before it was popular. Never looked at it whilst it was popular. Wont notice when it's gone.

Facebook is a cracking example of cretins spouting incomprehensible drivel to imbeciles. It is beaten into banal insignificance only by Twatter.

Has a single worthwhile phrase ever been posted on Facebook or any other "social media"? I doubt it.

You seem like a very angry and negative person.

In my experience most people who slag off facebook simply don't know how to use it, especially privacy settings.

I slag it off because it's full of dross and worthless prattle.

One could say that is what most of the internet is, as well as everything else. But if you are smart you can find things that are worthy and interesting hiding there.

In my experience most people who slag off facebook simply don't know how to use it, especially privacy settings.

So you should learn how to pick your friends and use privacy settings.

I have acquaintances that are full of dross and worthless prattle, but they aren't on my Facebook page.

I have acquaintances that are full of dross and worthless prattle, but they aren't on my Facebook page.

You misunderstand me. On the rare occasions when I have looked at Facebook pages all I have seen is meaningless prattle, banal comments and "likes" from people who appear to be even more stupid than the person they are "liking".

I really dont want to know what some person I have never met had for breakfast 2 years ago, or what size shoes they wear, or whether some other person I have never met "likes" it.

As for Facebook "friends" and privacy settings, I have no Facebook account (and never will have) therefore both are irrelevant to me.

You misunderstand me. On the rare occasions when I have looked at Facebook pages all I have seen is meaningless prattle, banal comments and "likes" from people who appear to be even more stupid than the person they are "liking".

I really dont want to know what some person I have never met had for breakfast 2 years ago, or what size shoes they wear, or whether some other person I have never met "likes" it.

As for Facebook "friends" and privacy settings, I have no Facebook account (and never will have) therefore both are irrelevant to me.

So, as I said, you don't really understand it.

Generally speaking, you don't populate your Facebook page with people you've never met.

Although strangely you seem OK with participating in such a forum here.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Chicog said:

So, as I said, you don't really understand it.

Generally speaking, you don't populate your Facebook page with people you've never met.

thumbsup.gif

There is a quite fine line about this. Here on TV nobody is asking you first to surrender your address/phone book as facetuck, whatsapp and numerous others do. i for example, i do try to help people here. no need to be liked , be a friend of mine, simply it is good ( human nature ) to help when someone has a problem.

i do not feel any better or worse if my follower,likes,friends or whatsoever number goes up or down.

i could turn the issue around and ask you: why do you care?

That ain't strange chicog?

TV is a nice board, despite all the bickering going on here. yes, now and then - you get those utterly stupid questions on the board - what the heck!

If you'd google the same post you would had your answer without waiting.

But then i cant follow your chain.... Facebook better than TV AND you are still posting here yourself?What did i miss there?

Still posting...

Jakethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I participate here precisely because I dont have to know anyone who posts here, nor do I need to know any of their personal details. I seldom read or post in the threads here that involve peoples' personal lives. It's just far too boring.

A discussion about some topic that doesnt involve anyone's personal life or details is another matter, and those are the ones that may be of some interest to me. Like this one, in fact.

I did not call it dumb.

I think TV, for example, is capable of great things too, when it comes to education and information. But, the fact is, it gets misused and is really a blight upon our society, and intellectualism in general. Deal with it.

Facebook better than TV AND you are still posting here yourself?What did i miss there?

Still posting...

Jakethumbsup.gif

That's a marvellous piece of invention Jake, but unfortunately I never said anything of the kind. I'm quite happy using both for different things.

As for any platform asking for your personal information/phone number etc.: It is up to you what you choose to share, and if anyone can get my phone numbers from Facebook then they're a fricking genius or a telepath.

biggrin.png