Cold spell in Thailand will continue into next week, weather bureau says

webfact

Cold spell will continue into next week, weather bureau says
The Nation

30225129-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- TEMPERATURES in the Northeast will drop by another 3-5 degrees Celsius next week because of a new high-pressure front moving in from China, which will cover most of Thailand by Monday and Tuesday, the state weather-forecast agency reported yesterday. Many areas in the North and Northeast have already been covered by frost.

According to the Meteorological Department, the current high-pressure front covering the country is now weakening, causing temperatures to rise slightly by 2-4 degrees.

However, the cold snap is still affecting many areas, it said, and advised members of public to remain vigilant, as poor visibility due to thick fog could lead to an increase in traffic accidents.

Winds in the South are also weakening as a northeasterly monsoon front covering the Gulf of Thailand is now moving across the mainland, the department said.

People living in the North, especially in highland areas, were still experiencing early-morning frosts. as temperatures measured between 2 and 6 degrees. The current lowest temperatures measured between 9 and 11 degrees Celsius, while the highest temperatures recorded were 25 to 28 degrees Celsius.

In the Northeast, temperatures in highland areas were between 2 and 8 degrees, while lows in low-lying areas were 10-15 degrees and highs were 25-28 degrees.

In the Central region, fog and cold were reported in the morning, with the lows of 12-14 degrees and highs of 27-28 degrees.

In the South, the cold snap, mixed with showers, was reported to be worst in the morning. Strong coastal winds were also creating high waves, especially in Songkhla, where they were as high as 2 metres.

At Loei's Phu Kradueng National Park, where temperatures of minus-4 degrees were recorded, thousands of tourists flocked to set up camp and experience the park's overnight frost, which lay across the grass and the Sa Kaew Anodas swamp.

In Lampang, people kept themselves warm by gathering around bonfires as temperatures dropped to around 8 degrees.

Meanwhile, many rural people in Si Sa Ket were reported to be in need of warm clothing and blankets.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-25

Why can't they just say low temperature was x at y location, Or predicted low will be x in province y or city z.

It is so annoying that they are always saying it will drop by 3-5 degrees with out ever saying what that would be.

A 5 degree drop for us yesterday morning would have had us at 2 degrees. It would be nice to know if this is what they mean for my area.

At least we were a balmy 9 this morning. Almost didn't put on socks.

• Like 1

For the first time in a decade, I'm wearing my woolly-pully in the chilly Chiang Mai mornings, which I normally only need, on trips up to Mae Salong. blink.png

My kids love it, but this is what I left 'home' to avoid !

Puts a slug of Irish in the coffee ... coffee1.gif

I live in a small village of 80 households. We have had 5 deaths in as many weeks. Elderly locals taking it really hard. Blankets have been distributed by the government one per household, but this is woefully inadequate. Poor buggahs

• Like 2

I live in a small village of 80 households. We have had 5 deaths in as many weeks. Elderly locals taking it really hard. Blankets have been distributed by the government one per household, but this is woefully inadequate. Poor buggahs

I have sympathy for families who have lost loved ones due to the "cold", however, there is a cold spell (roodoo nao" every year at this time and every year we hear the same stories.

The government hands out blankets when there is a cry for "disaster zone due to cold weather.

What do these people do with these blankets after the weather warms up? Do they sell them?

Blankets and bedding can often be bought at local markets in most places in the country. A little advance planning might be in order?

• Like 2

I have sympathy for families who have lost loved ones due to the "cold", however, there is a cold spell (roodoo nao" every year at this time and every year we hear the same stories.

The government hands out blankets when there is a cry for "disaster zone due to cold weather.

What do these people do with these blankets after the weather warms up? Do they sell them?

Blankets and bedding can often be bought at local markets in most places in the country. A little advance planning might be in order?

You are absolutely correct of course, however, and very unfortunately, these poor folk live from day to day and no money for prior planning. They are in debt up to the hilt (household debt 77% of GDP a real reality here) and one sale of veggies from the patch will buy their protein for a couple of meals. Harsh reality I am afraid. What is worse is the bigger picture where government are actually encouraging loans through the farmers bank. When this all comes hope to roost the chanotes will be kept by the bank and land and homes sold on to the rich boys just waiting to mop up the profits from real poverty,

• Like 2

They get a single thin blanket per household. Not difficult for a household to use up blankets at the rate of one per year.

When its cold you just can't get enough of them blankets. I know, I live in a mountain village.

Also if a simple blanket is all that is between you and death, you are probably quite poor. I wouldn't begrudge anyone a bit of comfort.

• Like 1

People living in the North, especially in highland areas, were still experiencing early-morning frosts. as temperatures measured between 2 and 6 degrees. The current lowest temperatures measured between 9 and 11 degrees Celsius, while the highest temperatures recorded were 25 to 28 degrees Celsius.

What?

So the lowest temperature was 2 degrees, or 9 degrees?

What?

So the lowest temperature was 2 degrees, or 9 degrees?

I know, it is like they are just making it all up and they forgot what they already said.

Well yes blankets can be bought at local markets but a lot of people can not afford them. 300 baht a day was just a gimmick to get there vote. It hasn't translated into any thing good for the hill tribes and small villages.

Yes you are rite a little planning ahead and in ten years they could have ten blankets. But that is not the way they are taught to think in their education system.