Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra offers to cancel election

webfact

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

After read your post it sounds as you think that would be normal that an elected government has to accept the pretensions and exigencies of a minority of the society, which is using extortion and popular pressure method instead of a democratic way, if it is like that I am so sorry but I have to tell you, and all those who support or sympathize with suthep and his no democratic way to do the things, you all are wrong.

And before you tell me that's why they want reform to changes the laws to not allow anyone to be corrupt in the future, ask yourself,

It is this way a proper way to start a reform process like this?

There is no in the whole country better person than suthep to start a process like this?

Why suthep, why not someone impartial?

If were someone whom did not support the opposition party and ex government will be more trustfully, and less suspicious don't you think?

Do we have to blindly trust and give all the power to one man like suthep with his record?

Why do we have to give all the power to one man who does not respect the authorities and an elected government?

A man who says that he don't want negotiate?

A man who want boycott the elections?

• Like 2

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I KNOW why the EC is scared,...

... because Thaksin would have enough time to collect and distribute money under the table to organize an ANTI-ANTI-government mob aka redshirt brigade to pinch Suthep and his followers into the corner of battlefield Bangkok...

Have you ever thought about that folks???cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This cycle has no chance of ending. If the protests are successful, there will be another 2010 and the Reds will return. The only thing we can hope for as foreigners is civil war doesn't break out.

Thailand wants to be recognized on the World Stage but they are only proving they can never be more than a third world country in constant chaos.

It seems Thais have the appetite to be in conflict with someone. IMO, they enjoy the ongoing indifference they have with foreigners as well as their own kind.

Highly likely the Reds will return and that might not be a bad thing. The point you are missing is that the demonstrations etc are NOT about the red shirts. They are about removing the Shinawatra clan from Thailand.

And about bloody time too. So sick of the endless drama for the sake of one wannabe despot.

Suthep now realizes the court ruling places him in an awkward position. He is already backing down from his threat to block the election!

Gee, sure wasnt what he was saying on TV tonight about the pre-election tomorrow. Full steam ahead to carry on with the boycotts and peaceful protests.

I wonder what part of this government's refusal to accept the court as legitimate, and thus acting ultra vires (outside the law), allows it to consider itself a legitimate government? Corruption doesn't become legal simply because there was an election.

What Suthep wants, is not what the country wants, kindly refer to the poll on this forum, that state 79% of Thai's polled plan to vote!

You can take a meat cleaver to your number.

Survey: Less Than Half of Thais will go to vote

Suan Dusit Poll survey published this afternoon revealed that only 45.56% of surveyed people said they planned to vote if the election goes ahead.

19.8% said they would not turn out to vote, 15.78% said they might vote depending on the situation at that time, 14% said they were unsure if they would vote or not, and 5.33% said they were not likely to vote.

http://dusitpoll.dusit.ac.th/polldata/2557/25571390540566.pdf

"Thailands embattled government has offered to call off an election set for February 2 if protesters end their rallies and promise not to obstruct or boycott a new one within months."

Do they really think this is what the protestors want? How will this meet their demands for reform? Clueless.

You cannot make demands for reform without stating what it is you want - they are not giving the government the opportunity to meet their demands if they wont say what they are.

The only thing they are saying is that they want an unelected council to govern Thailand and no one in their right mind would ever agree to that. Suthep - organise your party to go out and win the hearts and minds of poorer voters in the North, offer to reduce the influence that the elite in Bangkok have on the country and promote policies that benefit all Thailand and that must inevitably include higher taxation for the middle and upper classes to help pay for better services. In short if you want to destroy the influence of the Shinawatra family then force them to lose through a legitimate election though I think the assumption that all the members of the family are loyal to one person displays a real naivety about family life in general.

"You cannot make demands for reform without stating what it is you want - they are not giving the government the opportunity to meet their demands if they wont say what they are."

OF COURSE, when you aren't paying any attention to what Khun Suthep is saying, when all your news comes from the propaganda machine under western and Shinawatra influence, you aren't going to hear such things.

So here is what they want addressed by the un-elected counsel, in point form:

1. free and fair electoral process

2. widespread corruption (stop corrupted money from buying more corruption); every person has legal standing to bring 'corruption charges' at all levels of government.

3. decentralization of power.

4. restructuring the police department

5. equal opportunity to all for access to education and healthcare

An unelected counsel would be composed of people with respect within their communities, while free of political influence or historic political ties. It would be how democracy was originally operated in Greece, a concept lost over time by the growing undue influence of power brought about by centralization and concentration of wealth.

There is simply no end to the demands from these anti-democratic goons. The PM has offered talks , time after time after time...but still they want more. No...for Thailand's sake, just give it up

Are you seriously able to ignore 13 years of ongoing and increasing corruption by the Shinawatra clan, beginning before he was even allowed to enter politics on some BS claim that he didn't know he wasn't allowed to hide assets in the names of his housemaid or teenage children?

Your ignorance is only surpassed by your stupidity.

They promised to pay farmers until the end of this month so the government needs to solve its problem with the farmers first. Another possible reason why Yingluck offers to postpone the election.

Edited by DGIE

You cannot make demands for reform without stating what it is you want - they are not giving the government the opportunity to meet their demands if they wont say what they are.

The only thing they are saying is that they want an unelected council to govern Thailand and no one in their right mind would ever agree to that. Suthep - organise your party to go out and win the hearts and minds of poorer voters in the North, offer to reduce the influence that the elite in Bangkok have on the country and promote policies that benefit all Thailand and that must inevitably include higher taxation for the middle and upper classes to help pay for better services. In short if you want to destroy the influence of the Shinawatra family then force them to lose through a legitimate election though I think the assumption that all the members of the family are loyal to one person displays a real naivety about family life in general.

"You cannot make demands for reform without stating what it is you want - they are not giving the government the opportunity to meet their demands if they wont say what they are."

OF COURSE, when you aren't paying any attention to what Khun Suthep is saying, when all your news comes from the propaganda machine under western and Shinawatra influence, you aren't going to hear such things.

2. widespread corruption (stop corrupted money from buying more corruption); every person has legal standing to bring 'corruption charges' at all levels of government.

An unelected counsel would be composed of people with respect within their communities, while free of political influence or historic political ties. It would be how democracy was originally operated in Greece, a concept lost over time by the growing undue influence of power brought about by centralization and concentration of wealth.

Thailand actually already has a lot of laws, one would just never know it living here. They can hire Harvard and Oxford to structure their laws and policies, the problem is, NO ONE wants to follow the laws.

Handing over power, in my opinion, could be potentially catastrophic, a mistake that will take a LONG time to recover from.

There is simply no end to the demands from these anti-democratic goons. The PM has offered talks , time after time after time...but still they want more. No...for Thailand's sake, just give it up

What will talks achieve at the moment? What has Yingluck got to offer that the protesters want? What do you think would be a compromise that would be acceptable to both sides?

What Suthep wants, is not what the country wants, kindly refer to the poll on this forum, that state 79% of Thai's polled plan to vote!

Finally, the elitist lapdogs on the Court realize they have no authority to make such a ruling on postponing an election under the constitution. And referred to the Army cancelling the 2006 election,in their decision that it had been done before! (very thin legal grounds)

It places the Government back in control of the situation, Yingluck offered reasonable conditions that all parties must agree to prior to such an agreement. If they refuse to agree on the reasonable offer.

Then is by there refusal, to end the protest, that the election was not postponed.

Ball back in your court, Suthep!

Classic!

The poll doesn't tell us what the country wants. As far as I'm aware voting is compulsory in Thailand. That being the case they are only obeying the law and may cast a no vote or spoil their ballot.

What will talks achieve at the moment? What has Yingluck got to offer that the protesters want? What do you think would be a compromise that would be acceptable to both sides?

I'm not sure that talking with mr Suthep has any merit...he keeps putting more and more conditions on talks. I would like the very reasonable side of the opposition to enter into dialogue. It's probably happening or planned but not yet public....I have no idea but hope that there can be some negotiation away from the brink. There are some good people in opposition....they have valid demands, but this all or nothing approach by Suthep is just not going to work, IMHO

• Like 1

The poll doesn't tell us what the country wants. As far as I'm aware voting is compulsory in Thailand. That being the case they are only obeying the law and may cast a no vote or spoil their ballot.

That's news to me and the Thai people I know who didn't vote last time and remain out of prison.

That's news to me and the Thai people I know who didn't vote last time and remain out of prison.

Maybe a little homework wouldn't hurt!!

Voting is compulsory in Thailand!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"Offers to call off election"?!cheesy.gif

Whilst paying every voter 1000 Thb?

NOW she will save a lot of money...

Proof of your statement please ?

This same old point gets rolled out time after time. Are you naïve enough to think the Democrats do not pay for votes ? I know for a fact that they do. My Thai family trouser the cash from the Democrats and still vote PTP - more fool the Dems.

Interesting comment made by Alongkorn Ponlaboot the former Deputy leader of the Democrats and Deputy Minister of Commerce, in a video clip my wife saw, and to paraphrase what she translated from Thai '' We pay more in vote buying than the PTP but still lose - we need to find another way to win ''

• Like 1

I somehow do not think she is in a position to name conditions. At least with all the airline cancelations there will be free airspace for her brother's plane to pick her up.

She might also need a super cargo plane to transport all her SUPER DELUXE handbags bought with the rice farmers' money... coffee1.gif

Maybe a little homework wouldn't hurt!!

Voting is compulsory in Thailand!!coffee1.gif

The point is that, as with the vast majority of "laws" here, this "law" is a joke.

Law without enforcement is pointless.

Posted 2014-01-24, 06:14

PDRC plans to block advance voting

The Nation

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698974-pdrc-plans-to-block-advance-voting-in-bangkok/

Posted 2014-01-24, 17:13

MASS RALLY

Protesters will not obstruct election

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protests will not do anything to obstruct the advance voting this Sunday or the February 2 election, rally spokesman Akanat Promphan said Friday.

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699136-2-february-election-can-be-postponed-constitutional-court-rules-thailand/?p=7338893#entry7338893

Posted 2014-01-25, 09:34

Lindsay Murdoch

SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

‘‘It would be better if you do not go out because you will find we have taken over the polling stations,’’ Mr Suthep told voters.

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699245-thai-pm-yingluck-shinawatra-offers-to-cancel-election/

Keeping track of how many times Suthep and his cohorts change their minds.

• Like 1

Posted 2014-01-24, 06:14

PDRC plans to block advance voting

The Nation

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/698974-pdrc-plans-to-block-advance-voting-in-bangkok/

Posted 2014-01-24, 17:13

MASS RALLY

Protesters will not obstruct election

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protests will not do anything to obstruct the advance voting this Sunday or the February 2 election, rally spokesman Akanat Promphan said Friday.

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699136-2-february-election-can-be-postponed-constitutional-court-rules-thailand/?p=7338893#entry7338893

Posted 2014-01-25, 09:34

Lindsay Murdoch

SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

‘‘It would be better if you do not go out because you will find we have taken over the polling stations,’’ Mr Suthep told voters.

Source: www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699245-thai-pm-yingluck-shinawatra-offers-to-cancel-election/

Keeping track of how many times Suthep and his cohorts change their minds.

Dude, that's a daring, dizzying proposition.

What are these "reforms" Mr. Suthep wants? Are there any lists of those anywhere? Or is he just trying to make Bangkok area as the crucial government kingmaker so that the rest of the country is put back into the feudal lord era...

Edited by Timwin

Certainly she has the power to say anything she wants to say... but does she actually have to power to actually change the election dates? She has said all along that she doesn't have that power but yet she is now saying that under certain conditions demanded for the opposition. She has also said that she the hasn't the power to to resign her premiership with out facing criminal charges of abandoning her post as a public official.

Can't wait for her teary eyed resignation. It's ridiculous...

Edited by Local Drunk

Who would publicly lead it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand