EC wants advance polling put off to January 31

Lite Beer

EC wants advance polling put off to January 31

214566-imagejpeg-3281652-wpcf_728x413.jp

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission says it would like tomorrow's advance polling put off to January 31 as it was uncertain of disruption and violence if it is to continue.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, an EC commissioner, said the commission was uncertain whether protests would turn violent if the advance polling was to proceed tomorrow.

He said the postponement would rid fear of pollsters who remain hesitated whether they should come out to vote amid protests or to lose their voting right.

But he said that the government should make a clear signal or speak openly in the public that it wants the advance polling tomorrow to be put off.

He said that he wanted to hear from the government by 2 p.m. today.

He said putting off the advance polling would save over 100 million baht in administration cost and wages.

Earlier protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban declared not to disrupt the advance polling but said protesters have their rights to show they oppose the polling.
He did not make clear how protesters would exercise their rights to oppose.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ec-wants-advance-polling-put-january-31/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ec-wants-advance-polling-put-january-31

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-25

PM sec-gen says no to postponement of tomorrow's advance voting

BANGKOK: -- PM secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva on Saturday said the advance voting Sunday will proceed as scheduled because the election date on February 2 is still on schedule.

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team on Monday to consider options the government can do following the Constitutional Court ruling that the polls can be rescheduled.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-25

BANGKOK: -- PM secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva on Saturday said the advance voting Sunday will proceed as scheduled because the election date on February 2 is still on schedule.

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team on Monday to consider options the government can do following the Constitutional Court ruling that the polls can be rescheduled.

Would seem that a delay would be prudent so that their legal team and YS can have their discussions without any pressure

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-25

Sorry guys, you know what this means?

The sale of alcohol ban shall persist for 36 hours.

I think these draconian bans drive away more tourists than the protests.

Buy your alcohol before the deadline? And I am sure the vast majority of tourists could not care less.

We are so sorry that Thai politics interfer with your 3 weeks holiday!!wai2.gif

Please accept our sincere apologies!!

Those of us who have a vote should respect others.

I feel this includes

1 Right to exercise hard won franchise freely, in secret, without fear favour nor intimidation

2 This includes of course voting no,none of the above or spolied ballot

3 To respect both the winners and the losers

I may add that a clarified improved constitution needs to uniquivically state who has mandates so every party is clear in the future.

A few moot points spring to mind.

Who should have the final say EC or an elected,deposed or caretaker PM

Clarification of who may or may not reform the Senate, if the elected government is not empowered to make laws ,who is.The role of armed people in domestic politics.

The rights and remit of jurisprudence.

Of course obfuscation is in the interest of some.

We saw the 2000 fiasco in USA with the dimpled Chads

The right to non-violent protest be protected by all.

However may I humbly suggest that protestors and petitioners be given and restricted to safe large areas where they can rally persaude and demonstrate without inconveniencing law abiding workers,traders,the sick,students,hospital visitors and the emergency services.The lack of compassion for the sick ,handicapped and disabled is dissonant with Buddhist teaching.

Lumpini or Sama Luang,Similarly every provincial capital has its sports stadium or Rajabaht fields that could serve the same purpose.Blocking of Rds to barred and lead to fines,confiscation of vehicles,stages etc

There are some very nice guidelines in all the great faiths and Ahimsa for progress with consideration and respect for difference.

To be fair to LOS many times more Nepalese labourers have tragically died constructing the saftey ignorant Qatar stadia than 3 months of confromtation here.Kosovo,Bosnia and Ukraine show Europeans have little to teach locals.

Regimes who adminster Tibet, Arabia or Burma don't bother with even sham elections for the top spots.cf first gf route to the top?

As we all know change is inevitable,however as regards corruption folks from democracies assume it cannot get worse,yes it can as many of us who have lived in the third world can testify.

Compared to its neigbours and many African countries Thailand muddles through fine but these should be the warning and Singapore and Scandanavia models for better governance.

We can start in the schools with cash for places,passes heavily treated,fake professors,theses and degrees would send out a message to the scholars.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 2

It's really a game of agonizingly prolonged retreat at this point for the Yingluck administration. It is highly unlikely that conditions on January 31 will be any different than they are today. The bottom line is that there is no future for this administration. The key mistake was already made on October 13 when the " revised " amnesty bill was released to the public. From that moment on, the days of this administration were numbered. But of all the tactically missteps they took, the strongest was to dissolve parliament on December 9. If they could, they would have much preferred that they still had the full weight of legislative power. But they do not, and the dissolution has locked them into never assuming legislative power again. Once the election produces a quorum-less parliament, no court in the land will grant legislative powers to a perpetual caretaker administration. They have in effect been frozen out of the system. The courts - with their ongoing corruption proceedings - will pick up the pieces.

• Like 2

But lets face it. It is a ridiculous law. Name one western country that bans alcohol sales at election time, simply to stop the politicians from throwing vote buying parties... stupid law.

• Like 2

But lets face it. It is a ridiculous law. Name one western country that bans alcohol sales at election time, simply to stop the politicians from throwing vote buying parties... stupid law.

I understand your sentiment.However as an occasional toper and non muslim I do however feel that limiting immediate access to liquor esp during such a heatedely contested time may have a small benefit.

Anyone with foresight,cash can stock up.

I realize many vendors sell home brew and mom and pop stores will ignore but if it saves one life on the rds it'll have been worth the odd missed Leo for a thirsty gardener like myself.

Some may not realize the almost biblical treks to home village over huge distances will occur.The combo of politics cash and a freebie add to this heady mix highways where rival groups may interact and a few sober days seems wise.I am seldom right and willing to be convinced of the virtue of wet elections?

Doesn't matter what you think. You're not in the 'West' now.

Interestingly though........Massachusetts bars the sale of alcohol during election polling hours.

Edited by Phatcharanan

I doubt that is the reason for the law. It's in line with not allowing people to buy alcohol at night or in the afternoon. They simply do not want people to get drunk the day they vote.

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team on Monday to consider options

Let me correct that for you

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team Skype Big Bro in Dubai on Monday to consider options

• Like 1

USA, well South Carolina at least, according to my friend Google.

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team on Monday to consider options

Let me correct that for you

However, he said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will meet with government legal team Skype Big Bro in Dubai on Monday to consider options

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2

I doubt that is the reason for the law. It's in line with not allowing people to buy alcohol at night or in the afternoon. They simply do not want people to get drunk the day they vote.

you can doubt as much as you want.. But that's the main reason..Phatch...interesting about Massachusetts. I looked it up.

#3 Election Day Alcohol Sales Bans

1 State prohibits the sale of alcohol on state and national Election Days. This restriction is a relic of the Prohibition era when saloons sometimes served as polling stations. The only state that still clings to statewide Election Day sales bans of alcohol at restaurants, bars and package stores is South Carolina. Alaska and Massachusetts also ban Election Day alcohol sales, except that local governments are authorized to provide an exemption from the ban.

so a throwback to prohibition

• Like 1

It's really a game of agonizingly prolonged retreat at this point for the Yingluck administration. It is highly unlikely that conditions on January 31 will be any different than they are today. The bottom line is that there is no future for this administration. The key mistake was already made on October 13 when the " revised " amnesty bill was released to the public. From that moment on, the days of this administration were numbered. But of all the tactically missteps they took, the strongest was to dissolve parliament on December 9. If they could, they would have much preferred that they still had the full weight of legislative power. But they do not, and the dissolution has locked them into never assuming legislative power again. Once the election produces a quorum-less parliament, no court in the land will grant legislative powers to a perpetual caretaker administration. They have in effect been frozen out of the system. The courts - with their ongoing corruption proceedings - will pick up the pieces.

Indeed, the Constitution seems deliberately opaque about what happens if the House of Reps has less than 95% of members. It appears that many powers reside with the National Assembly, so that if the House cannot sit then power can be exercised by the Senate through Emergency Decrees. Clever huh!?

The current caretaker Council of Ministers could, of course, carry on, as is their duty until a new Council is put in place, but they too would have to govern through Emergency Decrees as they cannot pass new laws. In both cases, one person has the deciding vote.

you can doubt as much as you want.. But that's the main reason..Phatch...interesting about Massachusetts. I looked it up.

#3 Election Day Alcohol Sales Bans

1 State prohibits the sale of alcohol on state and national Election Days. This restriction is a relic of the Prohibition era when saloons sometimes served as polling stations. The only state that still clings to statewide Election Day sales bans of alcohol at restaurants, bars and package stores is South Carolina. Alaska and Massachusetts also ban Election Day alcohol sales, except that local governments are authorized to provide an exemption from the ban.

so a throwback to prohibition

Interesting. But what about Thailand?

Indeed, the Constitution seems deliberately opaque about what happens if the House of Reps has less than 95% of members. It appears that many powers reside with the National Assembly, so that if the House cannot sit then power can be exercised by the Senate through Emergency Decrees. Clever huh!?

The current caretaker Council of Ministers could, of course, carry on, as is their duty until a new Council is put in place, but they too would have to govern through Emergency Decrees as they cannot pass new laws. In both cases, one person has the deciding vote.

Well until the by-elections in those constituencies the government can't call a meeting, so I'm expect Somchai Srisuthiyakorn to then drag out by-elections for a another 6 months, given the games he keeps playing.

Has anyone tried to pull his face to see if it's made of rubber? I suspect one of these Mission Impossible style masks with Suthep underneath. smile.png

• Like 1

Let's not aspire to emulate what the US does.

Tourists are always caught off guard. Even when they do know there is an election (this time, many might, but they still aren't likey to know tomorrow is advanced polling ), they don't know they can't buy alcohol until they try to.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-25

Its not my money

it belong to the Thai people

and if we saved money these stupid rice farmers would want it

NI if we are to go, lets clean out the kitty and leave these people with no money

Brother said not to worry he will look after me and family

Let's hope Yingluck and the rest of the detritus leave very soon....Can't wait !!! clap2.gif

Time for reforms.

No amnesty for the Dubai puppet master fugitive, no trillions loan, end of the stupid stupid rice scam. Let's hope we will have some proper reforms then we might see a government made up of of people that at least will pretend they are trying hard to run the country properly....whistling.gif

Clearly EC wants to postpone it as much as possible so the fascist yellow shirts will have a higher change of disrupting the vote.

FASCIST yellow shirts? First of all which yellow shirts are you talking about, can't see any on the scene anymore for a few years. And in any case they were Fascist? You must be nuts sorry, if any political group tends to use fascist tactics like intimitation, violence etc it is Thaksin/Red Shirts.