Bar are closed tonight...

MickeyMaow

I've never seen this before......... All bars on Loi Kroh and around the night bazaar were closed, with the usual exceptions , but everything inside the moat was open. Supposedly, it was a very local election (T. Changklan?) so anyone outside that district was free to sell! As I said, a new one on me.

Yes, experienced the same, it's a complete farce that you can go to bars that serve beer in tea cups or go into ones with the shutter half down and yet some are openly open.

The tourist season here is a short one, and with the problems in Bangkok deterring a lot of visitors it makes you wonder why people invest in business here. Lets be honest, very few of the bars that are forced to close are actually frequented by people who have the right to vote. TIT!

• Like 1

The election is for a post vacated by an unexpected death of its holder.wai2.gif I have just been informed by the wife of the owner of one of the better venues. That's the good news. She is saying that March 18 is another election. That's the bad news.w00t.gif Brown paper bags and coffee cups are available.whistling.gif

This public announcement is brought to you by TV Rumor Control.facepalm.gif

confused...

are they closed tonight or not?

The closure only affected bars in the area of T.Changklan, which means Loi Kroh rd and the night bazaar. All other parts of town, including anywhere inside the moat are/were unaffected.

Generally speaking, election laws are ignored after 6pm, although legally the ban is until midnight tonight. At a guess, some bars in Loi Kroh / night bazaar will open this evening. As I said, the rest of town is unaffected anyway.

In a national election, or local elections held nationally on the same day, the law makes more sense i.e. "in theory" it stops the voters getting drunk. But, when the election is just one tambon in a city, and all you have to do is walk across the road to get a drink in the next district, it's beyond absurd!

BTW, I was once told by the police that the reason the ban extends until midnight on voting day is to stop drunken people fighting over the result or disrupting the vote counting. In central Chiang Mai and other urban areas, foreigners in particular are annoyed by closed bars, when there is no real signs of problems. However, I gather that out in rural villages, drinking lao khao, and subsequent violence between supporters of different factions/families is quite common and can be a big problem.

My understanding is Sunday 30 March is the senate elections and, presumably dry for all of Chiang Mai. If it follows normal procedure that means next weekend will also be dry for pre-voting. Does anyone know for certain if this is correct?

Yes several places disguise what one is drinking to avoid being hassled by the law enforcers. Funniest one I came across was having a beer out of a tea cup. Wont mention the place but it has an Irish sounding name and in a corner of Anusarn market....facepalm.gif

Why so desperate for a drink of beer? Can't you leave it alone for just ONE night? Crazy!

In a national election, or local elections held nationally on the same day, the law makes more sense i.e. "in theory" it stops the voters getting drunk. But, when the election is just one tambon in a city, and all you have to do is walk across the road to get a drink in the next district, it's beyond absurd!

BTW, I was once told by the police that the reason the ban extends until midnight on voting day is to stop drunken people fighting over the result or disrupting the vote counting. In central Chiang Mai and other urban areas, foreigners in particular are annoyed by closed bars, when there is no real signs of problems. However, I gather that out in rural villages, drinking lao khao, and subsequent violence between supporters of different factions/families is quite common and can be a big problem.

My understanding is Sunday 30 March is the senate elections and, presumably dry for all of Chiang Mai. If it follows normal procedure that means next weekend will also be dry for pre-voting. Does anyone know for certain if this is correct?

Agree on March 30th. I'm still scratching my head on the info of March 18..wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This thread was started on the 25th of January.

What has it got to do with today.

There is a local election today and some Bars are Closed Tonight.

I woundered how long it would take someone to figure that out..cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually it was last night (or it wasn't last night as it never happened, but you get my point!)

The Senate elections, scheduled for the end of the month (if they take place etc etc), will of course cause the bars to not sell booze. I know, understand and accept that. My complaint is about people 'scare mongering' and causing potential damage to a business with false stories. It has Nothing to do with anyone, in my case, needing alcohol

Just walked through Loi Kroh and about half a dozen bars were well and truly open. Didn't register the names of all of them but ones I do recall are Roo Bar and Ben's Cocktails. Another half dozen or so were sort of open (lights out)! The majority though were closed.

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes several places disguise what one is drinking to avoid being hassled by the law enforcers. Funniest one I came across was having a beer out of a tea cup. Wont mention the place but it has an Irish sounding name and in a corner of Anusarn market....facepalm.gif

Why so desperate for a drink of beer? Can't you leave it alone for just ONE night? Crazy!

Is it you that makes this comment on every topic that mentions a no alcohol day, or do you have a double?
  • Like 1