Ford Everest Sat/Nav

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience of the inbuilt Sat/Nav in the Ford Everest? I'm thinking of buying an Everest, but I've had some poor experience of some other rented cars with an built-in units. I've had the sort of thing that you read about in the papers - being led up dead ends, or onto unsuitable roads unless you are riding on a mountain goat. Are they reliable? Thanks for advice.

^^^ Exactly!

I have found the Garmin GPS units to be the best of the lot by far. I use to carry my hand-held units with me when traveling in rented cars until I bought an Isuzu MU-7 - MU-X which uses Garmin in their built-in Sat/Nav head units - I literally don't leave home w/o it!

I would say the Thai map for Garmin are 98% - 99% reliable. I have found that accuracy improves with each map revision/update.

If the quality of your Sat/Nav matters to you, as it does for me, I would check to see if it the Everest Sat/Nav units uses Garmin, a company that is as reputable in its field of expertise as it is popular with consumers.

I have used the nav in the everest and thought it was fine. I like garmins new 3.0 interface but last i checked the newest one with 3d maps lacks voice recognition. The papago units look good but not sure on their reliability or where to get them, banana IT only carrys their base models. I prefer aftermarket solutions so i can place the unit in the bottom right hand corner of my window which is better for keeping my eyes on road, rather than readjusting to view the inbuilt center console unit.

Edited by Retro Reactive

BTW - Google maps now have voice directions in Thailand

there are also several FREE Android apps that work quite well....OSM works in Laos with voice which Google doesn't.

Navigator has a free edition and one that uses TomTom

If your car entertainment system is up to it, you can couple those with mirror image to your car screen.

Edited by wilcopops

I quite like the Everest, main concern was kids not going crazy on long trips, the TV works well, the last row has far more room than the Mitsuibishi, the easting is better than Mitsui,

If you like technology, Mitsuibishi is way ahead of Everest to be fair, but the curved roof at the top is really annoying if your sitting in second row of seats and not short

I like the diesel, 11kpl on mixed highway / town driving, which given diesel is quite cheaper, works out not expensive.

• 1 year later...

Wife has an everest, sat nav works well, default is in Thai

Hi CTO,

what system use your wife in the Everest Sync2 ?

I am seeking a thai map for sync2

CTO posted in 2014, so his Everest is the old model which does not have SYNC2.

Presently, your options for GPS in the new Everest/Ranger are:

1. Phone app

2. Portable GPS unit (e.g. Garmin, TomTom)

3. Aftermarket SYNC2 compatible module.

Example of #3:

Skip to 3:15 to see navigation functions.

Edited by IMHO

Actually I have got used to the MAPS app on my note4 now ...wonder if Ford will be able to upgrade the SYNC2 to SYNC3 in existing vehicles

Now I'm going to sit in the EV whilst looking at the electronic manual on my phone, scratching my head and trying to understand what all those buttons and switches are for

Edited by JAS21

I have a new Isuzu with the in dash unit. It is a Clarion unit with iGo/TomTom map. It really stinks. The main problem is many missing roads and an outdated map. Apparently Isuzu is too cheap to buy the update and the map maker won't sell me an update because it is proprietary to Isuzu. I have to use my Garmin unit stuck to the windshield to be sure where I am going.

Other than the stinking map, the unit rear camera, Bluetooth, my iPod and the stereo work fine.

• 3 months later...