Advance voting in at least six constituencies cancelled

Lite Beer

Long live the Thai voters, who were not bullied or coerced, but went out to exercise their constitutional right to vote!!clap2.gif

They might not have been succesful in casting their vote today, but have shown the world, that long term there is a base for a true democracy in Thailand!!

Fighting for their right to vote! Well done guys!!thumbsup.gif

You are right in one way

But you have now way of knowing which way they would have voted

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only good side i see is that Suthep doesn't want the job. Whereas YL says she doesn't want the job but is doing everything she can to keep it.

Suthep doesn't want "the job"?

I see he calls himself the "Secretary General" of the PDRC and he has himself stated that he will also be the Secretary General of the "People's Council".

Reminds me a lot of China, North Korea and Gaddhafi-era Libya.

Suthep doesn't want "the job", you're right. He wants to change the structure of Thailand so that whoever has "the job" will be chosen by him and will do only as he says.

• Like 1

@whybother - crazy! They rdported the facts! Intimidation at voting locations. Is this you perverted idea of democracy! Good news is that hooefully during the full election, this now becomes justification fof military to protect voting boiths, IF they choose to do their job!!

You said "protesters with boards". I assume you were referring to the photo that I posted from the news thread. They aren't anti-government protesters.

And it seems that the pro-govt supporters are always ok on their side using violence.

And does the anti-govt really block the sites? I thought the voters can actually walk past by them if they want to.

35 out of 50 advance voting stations in Bangkok cancelled so far

As of 10am: so far 35 from 50 advance polling stations have been closed due to the rallies against the election by the People's Democratic Reform Committee, Nation News Agency reported.

Happy days..... that's 70% of them shut down. smile.pngsmile.png

Happy days? For a monkey maybe. For a normal person it's a sad day.

And you consider YOURSELF 'normal?????

Funniest thing I ever heard.

Happy days for all those who oppose tyranny, corruption, murder, fascism, nepotism, dereliction of democracy........ sad days for those 'normal' folks who support it all.... Like yourself of course.

Tyranny, as in threatening people who want to vote?

Corruption, as in giving land that was intended for the poor to rich families while being a top politician in Koh Samui?

Murder, as in currently standing trial for the murder charges of 80+ Thais during the 2010 protests?

Fascism, as in creating an unelected "people's council"?

Nepotism, again, giving land to rich families that was intended for poor people?

Dereliction of Democracy, such as preventing people from exercising their right to vote?

Now, tell me the name of the person we are talking about here. For me, Suthep comes to mind. What about you?

Clearly you’re deluding yourself by interpreting definitions to suit yourself without quoting your source for example the word Tyranny actually means an ‘oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of any ruler’ (Dictionary.com).

Most of your interpretations seemed to have been derived from one of the Shinawatra University Demagogue books on how to manipulate public perceptions.

As of 10am: so far 35 from 50 advance polling stations have been closed due to the rallies against the election by the People's Democratic Reform Committee, Nation News Agency reported.

Happy days for all those who oppose tyranny, corruption, murder, fascism, nepotism, dereliction of democracy........ sad days for those 'normal' folks who support it all.... Like yourself of course.

and add to that all those who just do not understand, or not want to understand

Believe it or not I found 6 people the this morning that where so busy working, had no idea that a protest was going on when they went to vote

sorry do not shoot the messenger

Corruption, as in giving land that was intended for the poor to rich families while being a top politician in Koh Samui?

Murder, as in currently standing trial for the murder charges of 80+ Thais during the 2010 protests?

Nepotism, again, giving land to rich families that was intended for poor people?

Dereliction of Democracy, such as preventing people from exercising their right to vote?

Now, tell me the name of the person we are talking about here. For me, Suthep comes to mind. What about you?

Clearly you’re deluding yourself by interpreting definitions to suit yourself without quoting your source for example the word Tyranny actually means an ‘oppressive or unjustly severe government on the part of any ruler’ (Dictionary.com).

Most of your interpretations seemed to have been derived from one of the Shinawatra University Demagogue books on how to manipulate public perceptions.

So, threatening people who are trying to vote is not oppressive?

Most of the Thais I've spoken to over the past week are very pro-erection and only a few are anti-erection...

Om my god baby births will be will be incredible in 9 months with so many erections in Bkk

you must be having one great party at your place

• Like 1

Long live the Thai voters, who were not bullied or coerced, but went out to exercise their constitutional right to vote!!clap2.gif

They might not have been succesful in casting their vote today, but have shown the world, that long term there is a base for a true democracy in Thailand!!

The recent poll shows a majority of Thais in Bangkok favor postponement of the election. It's in the Post.

The right to vote is but one small part of a democratic society. Respect for the law and respect for minorities are major parts.

Coward ..... The leader of the PTP Government who is hiding in Dubai

• Like 1

The recent poll shows a majority of Thais in Bangkok favor postponement of the election. It's in the Post.

The right to vote is but one small part of a democratic society. Respect for the law and respect for minorities are major parts.

Thankfully Thailand only consists of Bangkok and if those few 1000 protesters that Suthep has left don't want the other 66,000,000 Thais to vote, then we should respect the will of the minority.

Imagine if every country in the world acted like this. We'd still be in the Stone Age.

In the UK flying pickets were banned.

Essentially that's effectively the role of these anti-democracy clowns.

Hopefully the Thai media will expose any complicity between the .EC and this mob if they have just been moving from one polling station to the next together with the EC officials.

Hopefully the western press will get it and spread the word

It has been prominent on the BBC despite Egypt, Syria and pro democracy demos in ukraine

The EC also close down some of the voting sites. Does anyone thought about it?

The EC should have know something. Probably whether today voting process take place anot doesn't matter anymore.

Who knows, someone is going to face her corruption charges in coming 1-2weeks and also her gang as well.

Edited by Smokemachine

It's enough to drive you to drink, on no hold that thought 'respecting the right to drink' seems to have also fallen by the wayside.

It will be interesting if they decide to allow early voting to continue for the next week, tourist market already hit pretty hard by the political situation.

CMPO chief blames Election Commission for advance poll fiasco

BANGKOK, 26 January 2014 (NNT) - The director of the Center for Managing Peace and Order (CMPO) has called for the Election Commission (EC) to accept responsibility for its failure to organize the advanced poll in some constituencies after anti-government protests blocked the entrances of the polling stations.

Labor Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, in his capacity as the director of the CMPO, said it was the intention of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee to obstruct the advance election today. He also speculated that the EC did not want the election to take place since it never asked the CMPO to provide security at the polling stations, even the ones where the situation was likely to turn violent. Mr Chalerm therefore urged the EC to take responsibility and warned that the protesters who prevented the election would face legal actions.

The CMPO head confirmed the center would take back some of the rally sites and arrest the protest leaders but in a peaceful manner.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-26 footer_n.gif

Man in Dubai... ohh hahahahaa not heard that for so long. Is that the depth of argument today.....

Anyway, even Thaksin could not buy pro government propaganda like this. Press shot today of the lovable mob not obstrucing elections and not intimidating people.

Pricesless. And the other pic doing the rounds is the girls (2 different pics at different places) climbing over locked gates to the jeers of PDRC "Intellects" in order to cast her vote.

Bad PR day for Suthep and his fans. EC are now saying Election running smoothly with a few exceptions.

Bangkok I'm afraid Is not Thailand!!!! and should Geography ever be taught here, many educated Thais will learn this.... or maybe not

AND just for extra extra PR value. Uniformed Army actively interfeering with election... Nice pic.... :)

Be4meEmCcAAGx8z.jpg

Edited by pipkins
  • Like 2

The only good side i see is that Suthep doesn't want the job. Whereas YL says she doesn't want the job but is doing everything she can to keep it.

Suthep doesn't want "the job"?

I see he calls himself the "Secretary General" of the PDRC and he has himself stated that he will also be the Secretary General of the "People's Council".

Reminds me a lot of China, North Korea and Gaddhafi-era Libya.

Suthep doesn't want "the job", you're right. He wants to change the structure of Thailand so that whoever has "the job" will be chosen by him and will do only as he says.

Everything you point out would be a lot more accurate if applied to your glorious dictator Thaksin.

Just about every post you type is hypocritical because Thaksin debases your stance before you even type.

Undermined by your own god... I should give up if I were you.

Right, I forgot that Democracy in your world means setting up an unelected people's council against the wishes of the majority of citizens and a Dictator is someone who let's people vote.

Sorry, my mistake!

well finnaly I agree with you

You are a mistake

I have avoided answering any of you posts

as to argue with a fool

I can not win

you will beat me with experience every time

But could not resist reffering to the statement that you are a Mistake

You know perfectly well that the presence of the police will also be a catalyst for violence.

Your comment is disingenuous at best.

Maybe the real question is why the Army are not coming out to allow people to cast their vote as the protesters seem to feel they are "neutral"

It's all the more distressing when the Army claim to protect and support the will of Thai people.

It would seem that this protection does not extend to protecting the Peoples democratic rights and their right to cast their vote.

Taking all of the above into consideration I feel that my previous comment stands.

When ones democratic rights are threatened one will fight to defend them.

But what we have instead is violence from civilians. If the police don't come out, why should the army?

Isn't that why the protesters are protesting: because they feel their democratic rights are being threatened?

People have the right to protest but not to obstruct the very process that grants them those rights.

How can you justify the curtailment of the democratic process as a means to support and strengthen democracy.

Where is the justification in obstructing, limiting or removing the peoples right to express their Democratic choice through the result of an election.

Furthermore this should be a clear warning to anyone who believes PDRC's claims that they support the democratic process.

The actions of the PDRC are screamingly anti-democratic and the blocking of polling stations by their supporters a travesty.

There isnt a word for hypocrisy in thai.

Or is there? I presume there is a translation for sheeple.

This is what happens when the police don't do their jobs.

RT@Juarawee: RT @doctoruprising: Confrontation in Ladkrabung - PDRC vs. pro-election group RT@SutiwasHong pic.twitter.com/7JoCU2rLJp

Be3ugd7CAAEWpbu.jpg

YES!! I was actually just going to post this very photo. THIS is what needs to happen. Everyday regular people who want to VOTE need to rise up against Suthep's thugs and administer non-lethal violence. This is the only way these entitled jerks will back down.

A swift whack to the shin or a strong poke to the stomach with a piece of wood will be enough to send the hi-so madams running home, never to dare to protest again. Steel bars are, unfortunately, probably needed to fend off the "nak leng" thugs (mistakenly often called "guards")...

If his thugs are the 300 baht/day paid guards, would you fight for 300 baht? The picture doesn't show any actual fighting, it shows angry voters with sticks. I think a lot of these protestors won't want to fight for that pittance.

Now we know the EC can't use 'worry of violence' as an excuse to cancel the election, they can clear the polling stations and let them vote.

Are you for real?

The EC's concerns about violence were well founded

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That should read 'The EC's hopes about violence are well founded.

In the UK flying pickets were banned.

Essentially that's effectively the role of these anti-democracy clowns.

Hopefully the Thai media will expose any complicity between the .EC and this mob if they have just been moving from one polling station to the next together with the EC officials.

Hopefully the western press will get it and spread the word

It has been prominent on the BBC despite Egypt, Syria and pro democracy demos in ukraine

To ban something you need a judicial and enforcement system that works. Something Thailand is continuously working on.

So where do you fit in on that scale? A grin at least.

Bit more electoral law is that for Police to come in, there has to be a direct request from the EC. It didn't happen.

So if the police do turn up, the EC and Courts try chapter 25 of their Judicial Coup by charging government with unlawful interference of elections.

Same in UK. Police cannot enter stations unless Pres. Officer asks them in.

So. Well done BIB, they not fall into the trap and unless EC call them in, the PDRC in lat Krabang are just about to get theirs. If they have not all run off yet.

Sorry if that educated a feww closed minds on here. smile.png

That's what I was thinking. The role of the EC surely includes ensuring that law and order be kept for the safety of ALL voters. They surely must have the authority to order the respective authorities (be it police or army) to ensure that voting takes place AS REQUIRED by the law, don't they?

The election now and Feb 2nd is a waste of money again. If the voting is done in february it will be unlawful because of the lack of candidates or similar. The shinaclan is losing ground all the time.

What is the different if they try to vote 2 Feb or 2 May, the same results will happen unless the thugs are taken off the streets.

The 2.Feb. election is already nullified, and in 5 weeks there is no PTP you can support...cheesy.gif

But dont worry, they come back under a new name...maybe RICE FOR EVER cheesy.gif

We have a party, and you? sad.png

• Like 1

People have the right to protest but not to obstruct the very process that grants them those rights.

How can you justify the curtailment of the democratic process as a means to support and strengthen democracy.

Where is the justification in obstructing, limiting or removing the peoples right to express their Democratic choice through the result of an election.

Furthermore this should be a clear warning to anyone who believes PDRC's claims that they support the democratic process.

The actions of the PDRC are screamingly anti-democratic and the blocking of polling stations by their supporters a travesty.

I am not trying to justify anything. The protesters are protesting because they don't like what Thaksin is doing to Thailand. They are obstructing people from voting, and the police are doing NOTHING. This means that civilians come out with 2x4's. The civilians shouldn't need to do the job of police.

Are you really so naive or just incapable of grasping the blatant facts and threats over the last few days if they do use any kind of force, plus they have to be called in. This today is all intended to incite people into violence and the EC is complicit in cancelling immediately without calling in help to clear them and ive no doubt if it keeps up they will start beating peoples heads in, understandable too. And then guess what, the army can and will justify stepping in... uhhh oh yea...

Pfft thats the last time responding for me its time to start blocking posters that cant grasp simple manipulation. I swear some here are more blind and full of excuses than the average thai.

good day

I think he is intentionally ignoring the facts as his position is indefensible.

Election Commission Gives Up On Advance Voting

By Khaosod English

BANGKOK: -- Citing protests at the election venues, the Election Commission (EC) has canceled scores of advance voting locations in Bangkok and other provinces.

The move came after hundreds of anti-government protesters led by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) marched to a number of election venues to disrupt the advance voting for the 2 February general election.

PCAD demands that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra resign from her caretaker position and calls for a formation of an unelected "People′s Council" to rule Thailand as a transitional government. The People′s Council would implement reforms deemed necessary by PCAD leadership before any election is allowed to take place.

Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the PCAD, promised last night that he would not obstruct the public′s constitutional rights to participate in the election - but he also included a thinly veiled threats about a campaign to disrupt the advance voting.

"Any residents of Bangkok who plan to go vote ... please change your mind," Mr. Suthep said on a rally stage, "You′d better just stay asleep at home, because we are campaigning against the election and proposing reforms for our country".

He added, "We will be up since 6 o′clock [before] you go to election at 8 o′clock. You won′t be able to go past our crowd".

Responding to Mr. Suthep′s call, hundreds of PCAD protesters marched to various election locations in Bangkok, where they rallied and prevented many prospect voters from entering the election booths. The protesters also chained the gates of some election venues, while at many other locations crowd of PCAD supporters blew whistles to frighten away voters.

Some determined voters nevertheless made it to the election booths. A woman was even seen climbing over a chained gate in Suan Luang district to cast her ballot in defiance of the anti-election protesters.

Local Election Commission officials almost immediately cancelled the voting sessions in many of besieged election venues once the protesters showed up, such as the districts of Chatuchak, Bang Bon, Bang Krapi, and Dusit. Protesters cheered as officials announced the decision.

More than 30 out of 50 location venues across Bangkok are now reported closed down.

EC officials in southern provinces such as Krabi and Surat Thani - the heartland of anti-government movements - also announced that they would no longer organise advance voting in these locations.

The EC′s relatively quick surrender baffled many observers, as many questioned why EC directors have not requested reinforcements from the security forces to protect the targeted election venues.

Although the government has recently imposed the State of Emergency to facilitate the deployment of police forces and troops to maintain public order, officials said the responsibility to protect appointed election locations rests solely on the EC.

Any unilateral decision by the government to send security forces to man election venues might be interpreted by EC as intimidation of voting and possible illegal under election laws, according to a number of officials.

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul also expressed his bewilderment at the EC′s reluctance to organise the election.

"EC has promised full cooperation, but today the EC ends up playing tricks by refusing to request presence of security forces," Mr. Surapong told reporters, "It is as though they don′t want the election to take place. I can′t possibly think of any other reason."

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1EY3hPREUyTnc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-26

So, threatening people who are trying to vote is not oppressive?

I don’t condone the activity but both voters and anti-government demonstrators obviously have such rights under a democratic system. If this is not true, then where is the so called emergency decree security at polling stations to keep the peace and protect voters rights?

I am not trying to justify anything. The protesters are protesting because they don't like what Thaksin is doing to Thailand. They are obstructing people from voting, and the police are doing NOTHING. This means that civilians come out with 2x4's. The civilians shouldn't need to do the job of police.

Are you really so naive or just incapable of grasping the blatant facts and threats over the last few days if they do use any kind of force, plus they have to be called in. This today is all intended to incite people into violence and the EC is complicit in cancelling immediately without calling in help to clear them and ive no doubt if it keeps up they will start beating peoples heads in, understandable too. And then guess what, the army can and will justify stepping in... uhhh oh yea...

Pfft thats the last time responding for me its time to start blocking posters that cant grasp simple manipulation. I swear some here are more blind and full of excuses than the average thai.

good day

I think he is intentionally ignoring the facts as his position is indefensible.

Always has been.

One liner contrarian with selective memory

And what is the "one side of the story" that you feel Thai Visa is showing??

Protesters are blocking legal polling places and depriving citizens of Thailand of their right to vote. What more of the story is there? What farang in this world can support that kind of action?

My observation the last few days is that news is being very selectively broadcast and I'm not talking just about blocking polling stations (which I personally do not agree with and think it is a bad move by Suthep) but news in general, nobody will be allowed to talk about censorship if it is in place but looking at the recent news I'll conclude my own opinion - and if it is in place I disagree with that also - free press must be allowed - if it is critical of the government then sobeit as long as it is truthful reporting