Phuket Opinion: Putting the brakes on tourist bike accidents

Lite Beer

I agree with the idea of no license no rental; however how many shops will be able to recognize the various vehicular classifications on all the myriad licenses from around the world that they will see. Even if they had the info in a book, (if the shop people could read) it would take them a day or two to figure it all out. They've painted themselves into a corner with this one, because if they do start to apply screws it will give grumpy people a place to point out that the laws are biased, or will have a negative impact on local incomes.

Fail to plan = plan to fail.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@themagician

I enjoyed reading your post. much sense in your words.

"Now I know the Thai way it has made me a worse driver, BUT I can at least anticipate the stupid things they are about to do thus avoiding an accident."

I feel the same same way. but after 18 years driving in Thailand if i started driving back in my home country then i guess I would be in an accident quite quickly.

"I also have cameras front and rear which record to a USB Flash drive during every journey. If I cause an accident Ill hold my hands up and pay up, but Ill be damned if Im going to be blamed for something that wasnt my fault, whether caused by a falang or Thai.'

I have a camera front for the very same reason. last year I had a motor bike veer in front of me, driven by two young Thai girls. Very lucky that I only lightly touched the back of their m/bike. no real damage, no injuries. But I could not prove my account of the accident. Now i have the visual proof.