Taxi problem/Solution

FireMedic

I have to go to the airport several times a week. I have been using a lady who charges 600 from Karon. Yes, I know it's still too much... However, she wouldn't answer the phone the last few times and I had to use the others. No problem. Today I have a really important meeting in Bangkok and have to make the 850 to DMK. Driver didn't show up this morning, I called #2 and #3 companies with no answer and no one available. I went to the main road where the wolves hang out an no one is there yet. So I ran out of options. It is completely shitty we can't have reliable public transportation here. It's almost laughable now for me because I really don't expect anything else from them. But it is most embarrassing to have to tell the boss in Singapore you can't go because of the taxi problem. I think we should start a Phuket Airport Ride on Facebook like the Phuket Visa Run Network. If there was ANYWAY possible we could cut them out of all our transportation, the better it would be for all of us.

• Like 1

Curious as to why the OP doesn't have a car and drive himself? If he's flying around on business trips he's surely not short of a bob or two...

I either drive and leave the car at the airport (very cheap) or if I've got very little luggage, ride the scooter and park up (for free).

Normally we have no problem ordering taxi or mini-bus for our guests but lately it involves a lot of calling around. Our taxi lady told me that more than 50% of all Phuket taxi's and mini-busses are in Bangkok or are doing Phuket-Bangkok vv. transfers all the time. Makes sense. But all the tuktuks should still be on the island.

Yes I very much wish I had a car to drive myself. I will be most likely moving to Singapore soon, so I'm not going to mess with it. It's just sad that's all. I'm getting more and more embarrassed telling people I live in Phuket because all the crap that goes on.

• Like 1

Yes I very much wish I had a car to drive myself. I will be most likely moving to Singapore soon, so I'm not going to mess with it. It's just sad that's all. I'm getting more and more embarrassed telling people I live in Phuket because all the crap that goes on.

I have just mentioned that in another thread. I am finding my friends, who used to live on Phuket, are ridiculing me now for staying here.

The transport issue here has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Only going to get worse as the new demographic of tourists are using coach buses - so, expect further price rises to and from the airport in a taxi, and along the coast road by tuk-tuk.

Also, if they ever do get serious about drink driving/riding, either legitimately, or through bribes - it will be interesting what all the expats who post, "I'm an expat so the transport issue doesn't effect me" will have to say. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Why not buy a car? Moving to Singapore just for the ease of commuting is ridiculous. The place is very expensive in terms of renting a place to live.

Also, it's a very boring place to live.

• Like 1

Why not buy a car? Moving to Singapore just for the ease of commuting is ridiculous. The place is very expensive in terms of renting a place to live.

Also, it's a very boring place to live.

and virtually impossible for a foreigner to get a drivers license, let alone a car!