valentines ideas?

celso

It's going to be valentines day in a couple of weeks. I wasn't here for it last year but I am guessing it is fairly popular, because some of my students are already talking about it.

Any ideas on what would go down well? Neither of us drink, and not really interested in restaurants either because we both like to cook. A trip would be great but unfortunately I am working the next day.

Edited by celso

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing! Why spoil the women with a holiday created by the dam_n candy/flower/greeting card industry. Stop perpetuating the insanity. (Treat them nice everyday, treat them special as a surprise, and you don't need to do Valentines Day).

'stop perpetuating the insanity'.

Women are born insane... there's no use fighting, just have to go with it.

Give me an idea also for Valentine day.

What should I buy to my high loved favorite bar girls cause they are numbers enough ??? w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Maybe a ten pack of unbreakable condoms?(just for the one day)

A do it your self HIV test kit?

Or just give them herpes...the gift that keeps on giving?

Edited by Mudcrab

Valentine's day is on a high holy Buddha day, no alcohol served. Stupid custom anyway I don't buy into it and refuse to spend any money.

Valentines day or the holy Buddha day? Or no booze day? Which one?

My Thai/Isaan wife of 40 years and her mother both ask why we waste the money for such nonsense. I guess I am fortunate in that my wife never did catch on with holidays such as this or birthdays or Christmas. I may get her a single flower or such, but nothing extravagant, that is for sure.

SO Thai or what?

Yes. She's young, a uni student. But any general suggestions or what you guys do would be interesting, I wasn't here last year so I don't know how it goes.

No need to buy a substantial present, but if you want to, then it should be something she would want whether it was her birthday or Christmas or whatever.

Believe me even the poorest upcountry girl has heard of farang customs on these holidays, so either make her happy or ignore it completely.

Most TGs I know would not be at all impressed by flowers, as in other threads "you can't eat flowers" is not an uncommon response, they'd much rather have a gift card to Central for the amount you spent on fancy flowers.

And most TGs I know don't like chocolates, too sweet.

But as others have said, they all love gold!

If that's too rich for your budget, then just ask her out on a nice date for that evening. If she says know you can be pretty sure someone else more special than you already made the booking.

As far as "Thai culture" is concerned, this is the day many Thai schoolkids get their cherry popped, and believe me most of the time it's to a Thai boy around the same age, not a fat old farang no matter how much money he's throwing around.

It's interesting that a formerly-Catholic holiday .... St. Valentines Day ... is so popular in Buddhist Thailand. Thai women are incurable romantics and you don't need to do much nor spend lots of money to make them very happy on Valentines. A few red roses and a sweet card with lots of red hearts goes very far with these ladies. I also add something very girly like some nice perfume.

Edited by HerbalEd

The traditional Christian origins is just as lost on the Thais as on the general population back home.

Purely secular, in fact 99% commercial holiday.

And yes nice to be reminded that "true romance" can still exist in this day and age - or at least a reasonable facsimile, good enough for me. . .

Yes, start to give them bad habits and in the future they will leave with you house, car and kids ! Then we will shout SOM NAM NA !

What are you on about?

Bad habits like wanting gifts, or material things in general? Pretty universal there, or are you into nuns?

Obviously it's up to the guy to make sure it isn't possible for his long-term financial security to be threatened, leaving yourself open to the scenario you describe is certainly stupid and deserving of mockery.

But eliminating little gifts like this from the courting process is just cutting off your nose to spite your face, if anything as others have posted you should strive to make every day a special day where you show your love every way you can. As long as you can afford it, why not?