Road 359 Phanom Sarakham to Sa Kaeo

tullynagardy

Not strictly Issan I know but as this road is one of the main corridors into Southern Issan I thought Id have a better shot of getting an answer here.

Those familiar with this road will know its a long stretch of 2 lane carriageway through absolute wilderness with nothing of note for miles. It is also IMHO one of the most dangerous roads Ive ever driven on, so much so i try to avoid it and only when visiting the Mrs parents do we try.

When I was last on it 6 months ago I saw it was beginning to be dualed which will be a massive help as the main issue on it is people overtaking on its straight single carriageway.

Does anyone know if this is completed as of yet?

Not finished yet but working on it. 359 still takes off quite some distance compared to going up to Sa Kaew and then right into 33. Defensive driving during day time is OK

Thanks for update.

I agree daytime is bearable but nightime is simply playing Russian roulette with your life. Last time on it i had 4, yes 4, vehicles side by side coming at me head on and ended up run off the road! Shook me up very bad and with my baby in the car Im dreading it again!

Turn right at Phanom Sarakham to Sanam Chai Khet. Follow 3259 through Tha Takiap and Khao Ang Luea Nai Wildlife Reserve ( may see wild Elephants if you are lucky!!). You can either keep on 3259 until it meets 317 and turn left to Sa Kaeo or turn left earlier on minor road 3434 to Khao Chakan and then join 317 to Sa kaeo.

Much more pleasant road than the death trap 359

• Like 1

Turn right at Phanom Sarakham to Sanam Chai Khet. Follow 3259 through Tha Takiap and Khao Ang Luea Nai Wildlife Reserve ( may see wild Elephants if you are lucky!!). You can either keep on 3259 until it meets 317 and turn left to Sa Kaeo or turn left earlier on minor road 3434 to Khao Chakan and then join 317 to Sa kaeo.

Much more pleasant road than the death trap 359

Thanks wjhall :-)

I was on 359 just this past Monday. It is by far the worst section of road that I have to travel on my trips back & forth to Issan. The good part is that it is being widened. You can say what you want about Yingluck's party, but they are improving roads all over Issan.

Hard to say when it will be completed, but I'm sure it will be awhile off. IIRC, this is about a 90K stretch of road, so don't hold your breath.

Also I have found that traveling there in the very early morning hours (5 to 7 AM) it is not to bad. That works for my trip North, but never for the return.

• Like 1

I was on 359 just this past Monday. It is by far the worst section of road that I have to travel on my trips back & forth to Issan. The good part is that it is being widened. You can say what you want about Yingluck's party, but they are improving roads all over Issan.

Hard to say when it will be completed, but I'm sure it will be awhile off. IIRC, this is about a 90K stretch of road, so don't hold your breath.

Also I have found that traveling there in the very early morning hours (5 to 7 AM) it is not to bad. That works for my trip North, but never for the return.

I`ve driven extensively all over Europe, US and Thailand and this roads tops it all so i totally agree. Due to the fact it is straight as an arrow and contains many slow vehicles that you are forced to overtake the whole journey is an endless game of chicken.

At night many Thai drivers will come onto your side of the road flashing their lights like a strobe light, as if to say "Im coming whether you like it or not." I still recall when I had family over last year their quote of "holy good **** there is someone overtaking someone thats overtaking." This can leave you with a wall of cars and nowhere to go, which is what I had when i got run off the road last year.

As of 6 months ago the land was completely level on either side for the entire stretch and looked like it was nearly ready for tarmac. It seems progress has been slow since as I was hoping it would be nearly finished by now.

Alternatively the locals could value their own life a bit more and not drive at oncoming traffic head on, but i think Ill be waiting even longer for that to happen.

• 11 months later...