NACC to mull removal of PM Yingluck over failed rice scheme

webfact

Instead of parroting "judicial coup!" why don't you take the time to explain how, allegedly and for example, setting up bogus G2G rice sales to pocket the "sale" money and then re-selling the rice into the scheme is OK?

I never said the rice scheme was OK. It was the stupidest thing EVER! Yingluck's government is a really terrible. It's ironic, however, that this would come at this time. Why didn't it come before when the same truth about the scheme was apparent? It's a political move now that has nothing to do with justice. Yingluck is politically vulnerable and the elite powers that be are looking for any way to rid themselves of her and her brother. Not a bad goal. Their motives are not pure. They are from the same scumbag cloth of the people they are trying to eradicate.The only difference is the democratic process.

Why didn't it come before when the same truth about the scheme was apparent?

It came before, for example with the no-confidence debate by the Democrats back in November, were PTP simply declared themselves above reproach and moved on. Even before that, practically since the beggining of the scheme there had been allegations of corruption and mismanagement.

Serious concerns about the sustainability and the opportunity for corruption were rised almost from the beggining, six months after the scheme started:

Anyone with two neurons to rub together could foresee how things would turn out, Yingluck is the head of the rice policy commity, if she didn't know or couldn't anticipate the problems either she is completely unqualified for the job or she knew and carried on anyway knowing the dire consequences, in which case she should face prosecution for causing so much damage.

That's not even counting the corruption allegations which also started pretty much from the word Go! of this scheme:

October 2011:

November 2011:

A source from a warehouse operator taking part in the programme said each warehouse would have to pay Bt2 per 100-kilogram bag of rice to officials in exchange for joining the project.

"Officials from the Public Warehouses Organisation [PWO], which is responsible for rice stockpiles, have asked for 'tea money'. If we [warehouses] don't pay them, we will not be allowed to store the government's rice stockpile," said the source, who asked not to be named.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How interesting. She screws over the farmers...the who supposedly voted her in, but the Red Shirts "still" like her? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the PTP, UDD really Red Shirts? And are they not the same ones who are behind the Rice Pledging scheme? If so isn't it time for UDD, PTP and Red Shirts lovers to get a grip on reality. It's getting confusing.

Farmers have been getting paid more, plus the majority of farmers in Issan have been paid, so they probably don't feel "screwed over". However, the corruption is real, no doubt about that. I suspect Boonsong may be moving to the UK soon...

This article is relevant: http://news.yahoo.com/thai-red-shirt-heartland-backs-government-despite-rice-020612799.html

'In interviews with Reuters, farmers in Udon Thani blamed the protesters in Bangkok for delayed payments for their rice.

Donning a green cap with a five-pointed red star as he erected campaign signs for Yingluck's Puea Thai Party, Thongpoon Promying, 61, said the government's critics were deliberately discrediting the scheme.

"It isn't the government's fault," said Thongpoon, a former member of the Thai Communist Party.

"There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics. They call themselves a bank for grassroots people but they bend to the will of the elite," he added, referring to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives'

There you go...

Thanks...clear to me now. The farmers are more or less brain washed by both the government and from the guy with the green hat and red stars.

Brainwashed? I'm no supporter of the scheme, I think there are much better options but you can't call people brainwashed for supporting the govt on the rice scheme when they've been getting more money. Anyone would do the same if it was a matter of small margins.

Problem is the damage to the industry and the corruption, but in the end you have to trust that farmers themselves know if they've been screwed over better than we do and they have the power to vote the govt out. If they've been negatively affected by the scheme, it should be clear enough in the next couple of years and I doubt they'll put love for Thaksin above their material progress if it's clear that the govt's policies have negatively affected them.

Anyone know how to explain the "Rice Scheme" scandal simply? My Wife who happens to be Thai wants to know how 130 billion but just disappeared and I have no clue myself as I just started following this.

Guess I should have googled first! Here is the answer to my own question http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/

Its called running a budget deficit.

You know that big old economy called the USA ? The one that ramps up its "losses" every second of every day, and has a massive debt that keeps on growing...... yes, that is also called a budget deficit. However in the US they do not call it losses, they only appear to be intellectually dumb in Thailand and call it losses.

In the real world real people call this running a budget deficit.

In my opinion of course.

• Like 1

I think its going to be Democrat Party using all its influence all out to try to get some more protestors on the streets in the coming days. They got badly burned from the PDRC's vote blocking nonsense and so its going to be all out media spin.

NACC might be doing this and that.

Courts might be doing this and that.

Democrat Party might do this or that.

Abhisit could do this and maybe not.

Suthep might do something and might not.

Sources in the media will see Elvis meeting with Thaksin perhaps

Sources in the media will report Thaksin speaking to Lord Lucan on Skype perhaps

Red shirts already hounded for years for burning things, will be accused of burning things, and someone will post a video that everyone knows that the ultimate fire that burnt down CW did not start in the that place, that tiny fire was put out. The real fire starter was in another location. But its a chance to accused the accused yet again of burning things (only been 3 years of it over and over and over again so far)

I think everyone is going to mull over, talk about maybe and possibly without committing to anything, in a massive media spin in the coming days to try their very very best to stop people voting and stop them voting PTP.

All in my opinion of course..................

Indeed, here we go, PTP campaigners spreading lies to fool their voters ("There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics").

The scheme sucked the bank dry, there is no money.

Of course the govt would be able to pay the farmers if they weren't caretaker though. But the BAAC shouldn't put itself at risk to oblige the govt. Kittiratt has to take responsibility. It should've been sorted out months ago and house dissolution without making sure they had the money now looks especially shortsighted. He should've been sacked a long time ago. He's clearly incompetent.

The irony is that Kitti is apparently one of the few that Yingluck has made a condition of keeping on. Thaksin wanted rid of him from early on and his meddling might've actually done some good for once had he gotten his way and put someone better in as finance min.

AlexG, that's not true, government issued its latest bond in January, and was able to do that ony because it was approved before the dissolution (and hence EC couldn't stop it). It has money, but it cannot spend it during elections. EC will scream 'vote buying' and use the excuse to bar them if they do.

Emptyset, once the election is over government becomes the lender not any bank. But that video you included is pretty fair. The initial delay is the failure to sell the rice and hence the need to issue bonds.

Anyone know how to explain the "Rice Scheme" scandal simply? My Wife who happens to be Thai wants to know how 130 billion but just disappeared and I have no clue myself as I just started following this.

Guess I should have googled first! Here is the answer to my own question http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/

It's worse than that. There are assertions that the parties able to sell the state rice were limited to a select few 'friends and family', ousting 100 or so other historic vendors that traded internationally.

"The Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), a private non-profit foundation that researches public policy, analyzed the rice pledging scheme in 2012 and identified several disadvantages. (Advantages and Disadvantages of Rice Pledging Scheme[in Thai] TDRI (Sept. 2012).) For example, it found that the farmers who would receive the most benefit from the scheme would be high to moderate-income farmers (around 1.185 million households), because they are capable of cultivating considerable amounts of rice for the purpose of selling their product to the government. (Id.) In contrast, low-income farmers possess only the ability to cultivate rice for consumption by their own households. Thus, they would not have enough rice to enter into the rice pledging scheme. (Id.) Furthermore, THAI PBS found that only 8% of farmers would benefit from this scheme. (1 Year: Problems of Rice Pledging Scheme of Yingluck Administration, supra.)

In addition, TDRI considered that fraudulent or corrupt activities might occur in the implementation of the rice pledging scheme. (TDRI, supra.) For instance, Cambodian scholars estimated that more than 500,000 tons of rice from neighbors of Thailand were smuggled into Thailand to substitute for the Thai farmers' rice before the latter was pledged to the government. (Id.)

• Like 2

Indeed, here we go, PTP campaigners spreading lies to fool their voters ("There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics").

Of course the govt would be able to pay the farmers if they weren't caretaker though. But the BAAC shouldn't put itself at risk to oblige the govt. Kittiratt has to take responsibility. It should've been sorted out months ago and house dissolution without making sure they had the money now looks especially shortsighted. He should've been sacked a long time ago. He's clearly incompetent.

The irony is that Kitti is apparently one of the few that Yingluck has made a condition of keeping on. Thaksin wanted rid of him from early on and his meddling might've actually done some good for once had he gotten his way and put someone better in as finance min.

AlexG, that's not true, government issued its latest bond in January, and was able to do that ony because it was approved before the dissolution (and hence EC couldn't stop it). It has money, but it cannot spend it during elections. EC will scream 'vote buying' and use the excuse to bar them if they do.

Emptyset, once the election is over government becomes the lender not any bank. But that video you included is pretty fair. The initial delay is the failure to sell the rice and hence the need to issue bonds.

WHY wasn't the money paid to the farmer in October ?? I take it there is no fraud and the scheme is a good one with no fingers in the till. Another poster in complete denial. Amazing. thank goodness your in a minority of thinkers.

How interesting. She screws over the farmers...the who supposedly voted her in, but the Red Shirts "still" like her? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the PTP, UDD really Red Shirts? And are they not the same ones who are behind the Rice Pledging scheme? If so isn't it time for UDD, PTP and Red Shirts lovers to get a grip on reality. It's getting confusing.

Farmers have been getting paid more, plus the majority of farmers in Issan have been paid, so they probably don't feel "screwed over". However, the corruption is real, no doubt about that. I suspect Boonsong may be moving to the UK soon...

This article is relevant: http://news.yahoo.com/thai-red-shirt-heartland-backs-government-despite-rice-020612799.html

'In interviews with Reuters, farmers in Udon Thani blamed the protesters in Bangkok for delayed payments for their rice.

Donning a green cap with a five-pointed red star as he erected campaign signs for Yingluck's Puea Thai Party, Thongpoon Promying, 61, said the government's critics were deliberately discrediting the scheme.

"It isn't the government's fault," said Thongpoon, a former member of the Thai Communist Party.

"There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics. They call themselves a bank for grassroots people but they bend to the will of the elite," he added, referring to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives'

There you go...

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" ~ Winston Churchill

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

It didn't, the rice hasn't been sold, so that money isn't there to disappear. That's the problem, these are estimates of potential losses if the world market price remains low and they end up selling below costs.

NACC's claim is that in a Chinese rice deal could have been fraudulant by one of the men who did the deal. They now make a claim that Yingluk is in charge at the time, therefore she should be prosecuted too for failing to stop any corruption they haven't yet prosecuted for.

NACC is another one of these yellow bellied bodies, so no real doubt about the motives here.

Forget the 130 billion, thats chump change in this boondoggle. How then mr. bluenose do you explain the 700 billion baht, front monies for the first 2 years not being accounted for 9other than 180 billion adminstration charge)? Yellow , red, black shirts groups are not to blame for the action of a relative few to make themselves multi billionaires nor the lack of monies to continue the program.

The program was proposed, implemented and monitored by thieves, and incompentents. The latter and a protest movement which has made the Thai public more aware of how corrupt the system has become, what the latters motives are, I am not aware of, but the former are not nearlly as smart as they gave themselves credit for.

WHY wasn't the money paid to the farmer in October ?? I take it there is no fraud and the scheme is a good one with no fingers in the till. Another poster in complete denial. Amazing. thank goodness your in a minority of thinkers.

It wasn't paid in October, because the rice didn't sell, they organized a bond to cover it for 14th November, Suthep then did his rampage starting 4th November, and the bond went half unsold as a result.

Farmers received part payments, the second part of that bond went through january, and that's waiting for the elections to be over to be paid out.

It wasn't paid in October, because the rice didn't sell, they organized a bond to cover it for 14th November, Suthep then did his rampage starting 4th November, and the bond went half unsold as a result.

Farmers received part payments, the second part of that bond went through january, and that's waiting for the elections to be over to be paid out.

They bought the rice from the farmer, I thought when you buy you pay. If it didn't sell because the price to export was too high, why didn't they still find the cash to pay out in the meantime.

The farmers had to get loans and pay interest, others couldn't get loans -and living off thin air.

They bought the rice from the farmer, I thought when you buy you pay. If it didn't sell because the price to export was too high, why didn't they still find the cash to pay out in the meantime.

The farmers had to get loans and pay interest, others couldn't get loans -and living off thin air.

No, these are business transactions which include a payment period. The goods are sold, an invoice issued, the payment comes later.

Yes, they're living off loans, hence the election needs to be over, the funds unfrozen and the payments made ASAP.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

There you go...

Just goes to show the complete and utter bullshit that the red side always have and always will spew out of their media. And sadly the farmers just believe it all. Wish more people would wake up to the truth of what is happening here....

• Like 2

No, these are business transactions which include a payment period. The goods are sold, an invoice issued, the payment comes later.

Yes, they're living off loans, hence the election needs to be over, the funds unfrozen and the payments made ASAP.

Payment period ?? payment comes later ??

Please tell me the usual time span for this. ? I have a sneaking feeling you are pro government, and will find any answers to defend them.

I do not give a fig who is in power, it is how it is managed that is the point, This rice and ALL other problems are the mismanagement and corruption. ( to be investigated ) why is the need for an election quickly ?? to have the only chance to return to power to then quash any charges that may be pending and get the Dubai man back.

So the farmers starve because of a caretaker government, and will have to wait for an election farce--if the election takes place and is nullified then how long will the farmer have to wait. ??

All these things the government should have considered before .with money in the farmer bank for payment. it was not there. even if invoices are given it should have been deposited ready for payment--whenever that was meant to be.

Thanks Dude,

The link certainly provides a very clear and succinct explanation of the "reasoning" behind the rice scam scheme, and indeed, it makes it very clear that it was nothing less than misguided greed.

Try to hold the world to ransom for your good-quality rice, and see how the world responds...! Serves you right Mr. T.

som nam na for trying to screw over foreigner's again

NACC to consider impeachment against Yingluck over rice-pledging scheme

Anuphan Chantana

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) is expected to conclude an impeachment case against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on charges of dereliction of duty over the rice-pledging scheme in two months, commission member Vicha Mahakun said yesterday.

Stressing the importance of the case, the sub-committee investigating the case will today propose that all NACC members join a committee to consider her impeachment.

Vicha said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had earlier filed a lawsuit on the same charge seeking Yingluck's impeachment and that the NACC had decided to take it up and work on it in parallel. He added that addressing the issue as a criminal case would take a lot longer.

He said the impeachment case against Yingluck was similar to the one filed against 308 MPs and senators as it involved charges of abuse of authority and corruption.

Abhisit's suit is among eight complaints filed against Yingluck so far.

The former PM filed his lawsuit after launching a no-confidence debate against the incumbent PM, accusing her of corruption, mismanaging the rice-pledging scheme and destroying market mechanisms.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-28

Might have known abhisit would file a lawsuit. Not a hint of hubris there because his no-confidence debate case failed, oh no whistling.gif .By contrast nobody from the PTP filed an impeachment lawsuit against abhisit after he survived a no confidence debate (about using unnecessary force to disperse protesters and in the process killing 88 civilians) in July 2010.

What is it with the dems and lawyers? Can't get voted in? Get rid of the opposition through the courts - one could have the impression that the courts were amenable.

The dems , are they a political party or a lawyer support group?

Rice, what rice, do we grow rice in Thailand, Oh yes I remember now my big lovely brother, you know the one who lives overseas told me something about rice one day but I was busy buying new shoes so didn't hear the full story.

Really? No skype connection? Haha.

Anuphan Chantana

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) is expected to conclude an impeachment case against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on charges of dereliction of duty over the rice-pledging scheme in two months, commission member Vicha Mahakun said yesterday.

Stressing the importance of the case, the sub-committee investigating the case will today propose that all NACC members join a committee to consider her impeachment.

Vicha said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had earlier filed a lawsuit on the same charge seeking Yingluck's impeachment and that the NACC had decided to take it up and work on it in parallel. He added that addressing the issue as a criminal case would take a lot longer.

He said the impeachment case against Yingluck was similar to the one filed against 308 MPs and senators as it involved charges of abuse of authority and corruption.

The former PM filed his lawsuit after launching a no-confidence debate against the incumbent PM, accusing her of corruption, mismanaging the rice-pledging scheme and destroying market mechanisms.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-28

Might have known abhisit would file a lawsuit. Not a hint of hubris there because his no-confidence debate case failed, oh no whistling.gif .By contrast nobody from the PTP filed an impeachment lawsuit against abhisit after he survived a no confidence debate (about using unnecessary force to disperse protesters and in the process killing 88 civilians) in July 2010.

What is it with the dems and lawyers? Can't get voted in? Get rid of the opposition through the courts - one could have the impression that the courts were amenable.

The group who refuses to be BOUGHT in on the backs of farmers.

Just one red apologist wrote something on this thread so far, let's admit it guys its a tough business defending this government this days. Let's be a good fellows and help them out, you know the usual staff. Fascist southern thugs, murderer suthep, vile smart, stone hearted bangkok hiso, biased EC, corrupt CC,PAD all joined together to bring down the matryr of isaan that spent last 2,5 years working hard to improve those poor wretches lifes.

They are trying..

NACC is another one of these yellow bellied bodies, so no real doubt about the motives here.

Anuphan Chantana

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-28

What a stupid red remark, if there is corruption and if she was the chairwoman impeach her send her of to jail. The fact that this did not happen to Abisith has nothing to do with it. Why let stuff like this go unpunished ? To fight corruption you need to punish people, do the same with the democrats, that is much better as not doing anything then people will continue to act with impunity and not worry about the consequences.

Typical knee jerk response - cannot come up with a reasoned response so resorts to flaming.

abhisit was Prime Minister and chief architect of the 1.4 Trillion Baht "Strong Thailand" package, a key component of which was the dust free roads project which was as about as corrupt as you can get. Was abhisit hauled before the bench, impeached and thrown in jail - what do you think?

No, you and your ilk (*) have decided that a lesson must be taught - preferably when there is not a democratic government installed, now seems as good a time as any, whether there is any merit in it or not.

(*) people not biased in any way, oh no, punishment should be meted out to all, as long as it is the PTP first. Please note that anybody who disagrees with this group is a "stupid red"

Just one red apologist wrote something on this thread so far, let's admit it guys its a tough business defending this government this days. Let's be a good fellows and help them out, you know the usual staff. Fascist southern thugs, murderer suthep, vile smart, stone hearted bangkok hiso, biased EC, corrupt CC,PAD all joined together to bring down the matryr of isaan that spent last 2,5 years working hard to improve those poor wretches lifes.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ...... thumbsup.gif Oh and you forgot Rich Elite .... wai.gif

and anit-democratic, small minority

Another administrative/judicial styled coup. Excellent. Maybe Thais are evolving politically.

So she should be above the law, just because she's a politician?

Yep that'll work out just great.

What is the law? Can a PM be charged with negligence because people below her were corrupt even though she wasn't found to be directly involved? I'm not sure that she shouldn't be removed, but it sets a precedent and people will rightly be asking why previous PMs, including Abhisit, weren't investigated when ministers were found to be involved in corruption.

Yes. The PM was chairwoman of the National Rice Committee (or some such). She was responsible.

It would seem that one of the reasons for the extented covering period of the 'blanket amnesty bill' (2004 - 2013-08-09) was to covers ones tracks. Don't tell me Ms. Yingluck or anyone of her benevolent government and non-thinking, only acting Pheu Thai party really is in need of such an amnesty?

• Like 2