Suvarnabhumi launches investigation after fertilizer bag ignites on conveyor belt [video]

webfact

AVIATION
Luggage catches fire on airport conveyor belt

30225398-01_big.jpg
Photo : Flyhigh to Everest

BANGKOK: -- The item of luggage that caught fire on a conveyor belt at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday morning contained phosphorus products, caretaker Transport Minister Chadchart Sithipan said.

The owner of the luggage, whose name was not revealed, said the products were for a demonstration in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

The item burst into flames on the conveyor belt of Bangkok Airways this morning. It was about to be loaded into flight PG 931 to Phnom Penh.

The fire was caught on camera and video. Airline staff were seen running from the scene before one of them returned with an extinguisher and put out the fire.

Chadchart said the fire may have started because of heat. "It is fortunate that the incident took place before the luggage was loaded onto the plane and not when the plane was in midair. Otherwise it would be very dangerous.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MWqrJm3D4f8

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The shit nearly hit the fan on that one then ... was it bound for one of the protest sites I wonder? wink.png

Why would protesters send it to themselves......They just cannot leave the airport alone can they...it is just such a juicy target to ratchet up the mayhem they need so badly....And in some way one cannot blame them....They got away with messing around at the airport last time......It worked last time and now....Today they got photo's and media attention...

The shit nearly hit the fan on that one then ... was it bound for one of the protest sites I wonder? wink.png

Why would protesters send it to themselves......They just cannot leave the airport alone can they...it is just such a juicy target to ratchet up the mayhem they need so badly....And in some way one cannot blame them....They got away with messing around at the airport last time......It worked last time and now....Today they got photo's and media attention...

Well, I was being somewhat sarcastic when I mentioned "protests" ... are you suggesting it was something to do with the anti-Govt protestors themselves? To what purpose?

If indeed it was going to Cambodia, seeing as they import pretty much everything, why would it be unusual?

Cambodia "allegedly"

Read into that, what you will wink.png

Ha ha, coming from or going to? lol

This is the departure hall rolleyes.gif

Edited by sjjmmi

Cambodia "allegedly"

Read into that, what you will wink.png

Ha ha, coming from or going to? lol

This is the departure hall rolleyes.gif

So the Thai's are exporting the shit they don't want to Cambodia now? lol ;)

Well, I was being somewhat sarcastic when I mentioned "protests" ... are you suggesting it was something to do with the anti-Govt protestors themselves? To what purpose?

If indeed it was going to Cambodia, seeing as they import pretty much everything, why would it be unusual?

That's true but if I were trying to import something like that to Cambodia, given how close it is from Thailand, wouldn't it make much more sense to transport the material overland?

That's true but if I were trying to import something like that to Cambodia, given how close it is from Thailand, wouldn't it make much more sense to transport the material overland?

Thailand ... common sense ... when did that happen? lol

Fire At Suvarnabhumi Airport Not Terrorism: Chatchart

By Khaosod English

air.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister Chatchart Sitthipan has insisted that terrorism was not behind the case of a burning luggage at Suvarnabhumi Airport earlier this morning.

Reports say the luggage, which belongs to a Thai passenger on a Bangkok Airway′s flight, suddenly caught fire on a conveyor belt at Suvarnabhumi, which is one of Bangkok′s two international airports.

Airport staff extinguished the fire, and the airport is now reportedly resuming normal operations.

According to Pol.Col. Phumin Singhasut, Chief of Suvarnabhumi Police Station, the luggage belongs to an agricultural instructor who is carrying Urea fertilizer to a seminar in Cambodia.

Transport Minister Chatchart also indicated that the passenger has packed phosphorous substances into the luggage to demonstrate them later to his Cambodian customers.

It is believed that the heat and the friction on the conveyor belt had caused the small blaze, he added.

“It is still fortunate that the luggage was burning before it is loaded into the plane”, said Mr. Chatchart, “this could be really dangerous if it is on fire after the plane takes off”.

Mr. Chatchart also said he firmly believes that the incident does not involve terrorism, but had instructed the police officers to carefully investigate the case.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1EZzVOREE1Tmc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-28

I wonder why fertilizer is allowed on board a passenger plane? Certainly this will alert airlines security agencies internationally.

To my understanding fertilizer is not allowed on passenger aircraft for the exact reason that some can be highly combustible. However, let's wait and see exactly what the substance(s) the bag contained - assuming that we might be told the truth.

The concerning issue of this is that had the fire occurred in another location in the baggage area or the unlikely possibility of loading onto the aircraft, then obviously there could have been catastrophic results! I say unlikely as the CTX baggage scanners below check in should pick up the materials. I say should, as they have broken down in the past, http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/category/airport-baggage-scanners/

Of even greater concern, would be that if this incident was a planned terrorist attempt. However, I highly doubt that as most likely the passenger was stupid and the baggage check in person may not asked appropriate screening questions. Most likely many incidents occur that we never know about for obvious reasons.

It will be interesting to see what further information and subsequent investigations reveals.

• Like 1

Luggage catches fire on airport’s conveyor belt

1-28-2014-2-17-44-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A luggage of a Thai passenger on a Bangkok Airways’ flight to Cambodia caught fire while it was on a baggage conveyor belt to load to the plane before departure.

The luggage belongs to Mr Pongkan Kosithammanat, owner of Pongkan Alliance Co Ltd a supplement food dealer.

The luggage caught fire while it was about to load into Flight PF 931 at Suvarnabhumi airport to Cambodia.

It was checked in by Mr Pongkarn at the airline’s counter at 6.15 a.m. and he boarded the plane at8.35 a.m,

The fire was put out immediately by the airport staff working at the conveyor belt.

Caretaker Transport Minister Chadchat Sittipunt said he received report from airport authorities that the fire was caused by phosphate content inside the luggage.

He said it was fortunate that the fire happened on the ground and not yet loaded to the plane.

It would be very dangerous if the fire broke out while the plane was airborne, he said.

He said it was believed a chemical reaction caused by either heat or friction ignited the fire.

Mr Pongkarn claimed to the police later that the fertilizer he kept inside the luggage was intended for an exhibition in Cambodia.

Airport official said later the fire was caused by a sample of phosphate fertilizer in the luggage.

Suvarnabhumi airport officials have lodged a complaint with the police to impose charge on Mr Pongkarn.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/luggage-catches-fire-airports-conveyor-belt/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-28

He said it was fortunate that the fire happened on the ground and not yet loaded to the plane.

It would be very dangerous if the fire broke out while the plane was airborne, he said.

Understatement of the day. Sheer dumb luck it didn't kill a couple of hundred people.

INCIDENT
Suvarnabhumi resumes normal services

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Airways passenger, Pongkarn Kositthammanan, owned the bag that burst into flames at Suvarnabhumi Airport this morning, according to the transport authorities.

Pongkarn is the owner of Pongkarn Alliance Co Ltd, a nutrition company. He was about to board flight PG931, scheduled to leave Bangkok at 7.55am to Phnom Penh.

Caretaker Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt attributed the flame to the combustion of fertilisers stored in the bag.

It was reported that the bag contained packages of organic fertiliser. It burst into flame while on the baggage conveyor belt.

Rawewan Netrakavesna, the general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said that the fire caused slight damage to the conveyor belt and electronic equipment of the counters near Row F. The equipment replacement was completed one hour after the incident.

AOT and related agencies will further investigate the incident, she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-28