Importing a classic bike into Thailand - stripped down?

thelongshoot

Here's some good info from GTR (note it's from a few years ago when it was actually easier to bring a bike into LOS)- be sure to click on the links at the bottom where you can read about the actual experiences of others:

http://www.gt-rider.com/motorcycles-in-thailand/importing-motorcycles-into-thailand/motorcycle-import

• Like 1

Thanks.

Certainly not worth the bother and finances.

Plenty of bikes in Thailand that can be bought legally.

I do understand the OP with respect of rare, expensive machines. But its a case of doing it legally (very expensive), or illegally (risk losing your machines to the authorities and making yourself a criminal in the process).

Just used the search for importing parts for my motorcycle and came across this. I would only import the legal way and understand whole bikes are a no no. What beggars belief is the OP has promoted he wants to do something illegal for the whole world to read and claims he has one of these rare? machines already, can't be many foreigners here then with one and wouldn't take long to track him down. Obviously not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

Edited by Udon Ray

Just used the search for importing parts for my motorcycle and came across this. I would only import the legal way and understand whole bikes are a no no. What beggars belief is the OP has promoted he wants to do something illegal for the whole world to read and claims he has one of these rare? machines already, can't be many foreigners here then with one and wouldn't take long to track him down. Obviously not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

"Not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree"

Christ on a bike.... Some of you guys just cant resist having a bloody dig. Can everyone please stop calling me a <deleted>?

To the other posters who offered more advice, thank you. I appreciate it.

Also Udon Ray.... I do have a classic scooter here. It was imported to Thailand in 1967 and has had a book ever since. I have the green book and the tax and has been fully inspected by the local registration office. I even have the original import certificate and sales recipet from all those years ago. Bright or not, its totaly legal.

The classic bike I am refering to, simmilar to the one I have now, is not rare in Thailand. There are probably a thousand of these scooters here, maybe more. My point was that I want a specific series of this scooter which you just cant find in Thailand, as there are only a handfull. I wanted to import this type specificly.

Am I doing something illegal if I go down this road? Probably. Bugger. Thinking about it..... I imagine the Department of Special Investigation are browsing this forum right this very second and have just stumbled upon this thread. Captain Somchai has probably just thrown his bowl of Som Tam on the floor and is gathering his troops in anticipation of the biggest arrest he will ever make. I suspect they are warming up the helicopter as I write this, loading the chopper with DSI guys in black ops gear. Whilst in the air, they will contact Thai Visa to track my ISP, locate my house, absail into my garden and blow my house up.

Do you honestly think the powers that be would give a flying bugger about this thread? If you genuinely believe that simply discussing the possibility of importing a scooter under the radar will lead to my front door being blown open, you are absolutley off your bloody rocker.

• Like 2

As of Sept 2012 no second hand motorcycles can be registered with DLT in Thailand.

Does not matter if they came in complete, stripped down, in pieces.

Unless you know someone very high up.

Not exactly true...Many shops have a assembly license and are allowed to assemble bikes from parts. How do you think shops like pattaya superbike or red baron are doing it? Its perfectly legal. Maybe the you can not get the license anymore but those who have seem to be getting new parts bikes regularly.

• Like 1

It's not illegal to import motorcycle parts for the purpose of building a motorcycle- riding that bike on public roads might not be completely legitimate, of course, but you can bring in and build whatever you want as far as bikes go- the OP is not describing any sort of illegal activity.

• Like 1

If you are found to be bringing a complete bike i to thailand in pieces for lower tax rates you will find yourself a large fine and prison term... I would think twice before going through with it. Apart from that i heard that a used bike can not be brought into Thailand anymore..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If you are found to be bringing a complete bike i to thailand in pieces for lower tax rates you will find yourself a large fine and prison term...

With all negativity imparted to the OP in this thread, you still get the scaremonging 1Q14 award, congratulations.

• Like 1

If you are found to be bringing a complete bike i to thailand in pieces for lower tax rates you will find yourself a large fine and prison term...

With all negativity imparted to the OP in this thread, you still get the scaremonging 1Q14 award, congratulations.

Paz,

No negativity in that thread. Simply stating that stripping a bike to build it again runs the chance of being caught.. Something i believe the OP would not want to experience..

Correct me if i am wrong but an idea of this forum is to assist other members and not lead them into bad situations purely to keep a positive fuzzy feeling in your belly :P

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

To the OP, if you want the bike here and want to worry about a book later just bring it in luggage, older smaller stuff will probably go through ok via customs if you ship it.

If it says BMW, Ducati etc they like to charge big, second hand Honda stuff via Yahoo Auctions Japan goes through cheap.

Getting a book; going to have to do it the dodgy way. I brought a bike in from the states about a year ago in parts, but just shoved it in a container with a bunch of other stuff.

My Thai buddies will eventually make a book for it, but will be dodgy....but honestly I am not all that worried about it.

You can still bring in stuff up to about 3-4 years old in one piece it seems and get books, but this is of course who you know...and takes money. We are still importing new and slightly used big bikes, but it aint like just a few years ago...emissions being one of the biggest pains.

Paz,

No negativity in that thread. Simply stating that stripping a bike to build it again runs the chance of being caught.. Something i believe the OP would not want to experience..

Caught for what? It shipping parts or even a bike may not be smart, but is not illegal. Read the entire thread before coming at the last minute like an oracle of all truths.

The old established thai grey importers such a Manot in Chonburi and Domboi in Bangkok are still successfully getting in late model big bikes but their business model is much reduced from the heydays , for 3 reasons , there are now reasonable priced big bigs sold and made here , 3 big importers HD, Yamaha & Honda have successfully strangled external sources of most new bike grey imports , but not od second hand ones , finaly getting green books has been made much more difficult and expensive .

But getting a classic in is a different kettel of fish ,, i have known people bring bikes in gradually in pieces in suitcases etc , but getting them registered legally is impossible , but a clone book might suffice ,,,

A certain western gentleman in Lampang has a nice collection of illegal big bikes but he recyles them every 6 months to cambodia or laos ,malaysia etc he likes riding and has enough Thai contacts to cover any difficulties with cash ....

Me I have a couple of Older ducatis on legal green books done a few years ago ,, i would buy second hand again from people I trust and i never hand over all the money until i have the book in my grubby mitts keep back 20-25% the decent guys will be happy if not walk away from any deal , but next bike is likely to be new one as so legal from day one