Importing a classic bike into Thailand - stripped down?

thelongshoot

Hello. Im thinking of buying a classic scooter from the UK, and having it shipped over in parts. How feasable is this to do, and has anyone reading this done so before? The scooters I am looking at range from 5000 to 8000 GBP: If I had it shipped over complete, it would not be hard for customs to jump on-line to find out how much these scooters are worth, charging me the same again in import duty. Obviously I cant do that.

The only thing I can think of doing is having it stripped, and sent over in say 10 packages? I guess some of the packages may be inspected by customs and they impose an import duty, but a package with what looks like really old bike parts probably wouldnt encur too much of a charge? Especialy if there is an invoice with each part listing a real cheap buy price?

AM I thiking along the right lines here, or is this amateur hour lol? Surely it cant be this easy?

I have a friend going back to the UK next month, and I could ask him to bring back the panels and frame. Wrapped up in bubble wrap and cardboard, it would maybe be the size of 5 average suitcases. Sure there would be an extra charge to check them in, but im pretty sure he would sail straight through customs at Swampy as they never seem to stop anyone?

I appreciate there would be issues with registration, if and when I got it over here and put back together, but I think I have a connection at registration office who can help me get a book (at a cost of around 40,000 THB). So the question is, how easy or difficult is it to get it over here in the first place?

Any advice appreciated, thanks so much

Best

TLS

Plenty of threads on this, do a search. It's not a new idea by any means - but it's much more difficult than it used to be. You'd be crazy to spend that much on a beautiful classic scooter and then strip it apart and send to Thailand.

You'll probably get most of it into the country (expect delays, pay lots of tax, bribes etc) but I very much doubt you'll get it registered, and certainly not for 40,000 baht. I think the emissions test alone is 30,000 and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Better to buy a decent one here that's legally registered and then pay to get it restored.

• Like 2

How many more 'I wanna import this great........' are we going to have to endure before the sad news about importing sinks in?

It will never sink in ! And people will not search previous TV horror stories either

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its a long shot and not worth doing. As said just read the past threads and you will see for yourself. There are plenty of classic scooters here already. Maybe check on mocyc.com for instance.

I didnt realise there are past threads, thanks. Ill dig them out. There are indeed many Lambrettas in Thailand (I already own one here and know the scene/market very well) but the specific type I am looking for (TV or SX) are very few here and sell for crazy money. 15 years ago you you could find a TV200 up and down the country, for around 100,000 Baht. Lambrettas have climbed in value in Thailand and are more popular now. Many UK ex-pats brought TV's here and exported them back home for a profit. Now, the tides have turned, there are not many TV 200's left and they rarely come up for sale. A friend of a friend just brought a Lambretta SX225 for 950,000. 15 years ago that same scooter would have been no more than 100,000.

Hence my need to import.

Plenty of threads on this, do a search. It's not a new idea by any means - but it's much more difficult than it used to be. You'd be crazy to spend that much on a beautiful classic scooter and then strip it apart and send to Thailand.

You'll probably get most of it into the country (expect delays, pay lots of tax, bribes etc) but I very much doubt you'll get it registered, and certainly not for 40,000 baht. I think the emissions test alone is 30,000 and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Better to buy a decent one here that's legally registered and then pay to get it restored.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Stripping the scooter is not an issue. There are plenty of Lambretta mechanics in Thailand, some of them not too great, some of them may take off the smaller parts that you dont see and replace with crap Vietnam parts, some of them quote 2 months and take 2 years..... Then there are some brilliant trustworthy mechanics who truly care and are very pasionate. I would only use the latter. The guy who I used to work on my lambretta 150 Special did an amazing job and there would be no issue with him putting it back together. he is one of the best in Thailand.

It is something that can be done, im sure. I know that someone recently imported from the UK and it has been done way more than once. Im aware it could be very tricky, but its not impossible.

How many more 'I wanna import this great........' are we going to have to endure before the sad news about importing sinks in?

It will never sink in ! And people will not search previous TV horror stories either

And the sad news being.... What exactly? It has been done many times, further more it has been done recently so its not impossible. Can I ask why you are so certain? Did you try yourself?

And the sad news being.... What exactly? It has been done many times, further more it has been done recently so its not impossible. Can I ask why you are so certain? Did you try yourself?

You know what.. I kind of expected this type of answer. So, instead of wasting time reading this forum on why it can't be done, and since you know already it can, do us all a favor, do it and report. I will particualrly like the part where you negotiate ransom with Royal Customs, not less entertraining will be the passing of 40,000 Bt to have it corruption-registered, then finally a nice picture of the unique jewel and the bottom line figure spent on it, all in all a very enjoable story, so please don't deprive us of it. Waiting anxiously.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Hi, thanks for the reply. Stripping the scooter is not an issue. There are plenty of Lambretta mechanics in Thailand, some of them not too great, some of them may take off the smaller parts that you dont see and replace with crap Vietnam parts, some of them quote 2 months and take 2 years..... Then there are some brilliant trustworthy mechanics who truly care and are very pasionate. I would only use the latter. The guy who I used to work on my lambretta 150 Special did an amazing job and there would be no issue with him putting it back together. he is one of the best in Thailand.

It is something that can be done, im sure. I know that someone recently imported from the UK and it has been done way more than once. Im aware it could be very tricky, but its not impossible.

It's not hard to put an old scooter back together, that's not the issue.

The issue is getting it through customs and then registering it. If you can sneak broken down classic bikes through customs without paying tax and bribes, and then get legal green books for them for 40,000 baht then I tip my hat to you. I just don't think it will happen. Good luck though.

• Like 1

You know what.. I kind of expected this type of answer. So, instead of wasting time reading this forum on why it can't be done, and since you know already it can, do us all a favor, do it and report. I will particualrly like the part where you negotiate ransom with Royal Customs, not less entertraining will be the passing of 40,000 Bt to have it corruption-registered, then finally a nice picture of the unique jewel and the bottom line figure spent on it, all in all a very enjoable story, so please don't deprive us of it. Waiting anxiously.

Im miffed, and confused. I post an honest, straight forward question and recieve snotty replies like this. Yes, I know it can be done. Have I done it before? No. Was I living in cloud cuckoo land hoping that maybe someone on this forum has experience in doing so, and could offer some advice? Yes, it seems.

What you are basicly saying is: Do not post any question pertaining to any project you are about to embark on. Just get on with it and hopefully, fail.

I am spending roughly half the amount on a scooter of my choice, compared to what I would spend in Thailand with limited choice. Half. Im going to save around 300,000 Baht buying the scooter back home. Even if i spend that 300,000 baht on import costs and registration fees, at least I had a crack doing it, learnt from the experience and more importantly, chose the exact scooter I wanted.

If you are such an expert on importing scooters Paz, then why dont you share this information with us, instead of speculating on worst case scenarious. The only thing you are an expert on, I am guessing, is doom and frigging gloom.

I bet your a smashing fella to have a pint with.....

• Like 1

The issue is getting it through customs and then registering it. If you can sneak broken down classic bikes through customs without paying tax and bribes, and then get legal green books for them for 40,000 baht then I tip my hat to you. I just don't think it will happen. Good luck though.

Appreciate it, thanks. Yes, its a challenge and it is definatley not going to be easy. Im certain that I will have to pay import duty for some, or all of the packages but I am also certain that these costs will not exceed the saving that I make.

Just to point out though, this is not entirely about saving money. Its also about freedom of choice. TV's rarely come up for sale here and when they do, it may not be the ideal you want. In the UK, I have a huge choice.

The biggest danger I can think of is importing the engine. If customs inspect this particular package, they are going to see the serial number, and thats when it could get tricky. I was hoping for feedback on this specific thing but as it stands, no one here has imported before so no one is able to offer advice on this.

The panels and frame are coming over with a friend of mine directly, as checked in baggage. Im pretty sure he will just wheel it through customs, along with his suitcase etc, with no problems. You see people wheeling strange shaped boxes through nothing to declare all the time and usualy, there is just one or two bored looking staff waving everyone through.

Im confused why so many people here think it preposterous that I may be able to secure a book for 40K. As it stands, no one has offered any reasoning why this is such a non starter. From my point of view, I agree that it is not a certainty. of course it isnt. I have just been told by a felow scooter guy that he knows a guy at registration office that will help me get a book for 40K. I can only vouch that he does know a high up guy there, as I have been there before with him and met him, when i needed a colour change on my scooter fast tracking without the paperwork from immigration etc. So, he does exist. Can he realy get me a legal book for 40K? I dont know. If he cant, its not the end of the world I do not plan to do any touring on this scooter and will use it only localy, where it is not an issue having no book.

Appreciate it, thanks. Yes, its a challenge and it is definatley not going to be easy. Im certain that I will have to pay import duty for some, or all of the packages but I am also certain that these costs will not exceed the saving that I make.

Just to point out though, this is not entirely about saving money. Its also about freedom of choice. TV's rarely come up for sale here and when they do, it may not be the ideal you want. In the UK, I have a huge choice.

The biggest danger I can think of is importing the engine. If customs inspect this particular package, they are going to see the serial number, and thats when it could get tricky. I was hoping for feedback on this specific thing but as it stands, no one here has imported before so no one is able to offer advice on this.

The panels and frame are coming over with a friend of mine directly, as checked in baggage. Im pretty sure he will just wheel it through customs, along with his suitcase etc, with no problems. You see people wheeling strange shaped boxes through nothing to declare all the time and usualy, there is just one or two bored looking staff waving everyone through.

Im confused why so many people here think it preposterous that I may be able to secure a book for 40K. As it stands, no one has offered any reasoning why this is such a non starter. From my point of view, I agree that it is not a certainty. of course it isnt. I have just been told by a felow scooter guy that he knows a guy at registration office that will help me get a book for 40K. I can only vouch that he does know a high up guy there, as I have been there before with him and met him, when i needed a colour change on my scooter fast tracking without the paperwork from immigration etc. So, he does exist. Can he realy get me a legal book for 40K? I dont know. If he cant, its not the end of the world I do not plan to do any touring on this scooter and will use it only localy, where it is not an issue having no book.

If you are going to do this I think I would even strip the motor aport and send that in peices That way they just see numbers on empty block. As far as the green book before you can have one issued there are some steps that have to be done. I know that it has to pass emissions and you have to have proff that all the import taxes have been payed and there is some other tax that you need proff of can't remember what that one is. The big thing with doeing thisis if once this bike is together and you don't have it legal and can show all the pappers they can impound the bike and fine you more than what it would have coast you to import it. And then after paying the fines you will have to pay all the duties get every thing legal for the bike and still may not get it back. I know 2 people that have gone trough this with harleys and have lost them. Another that was trying to bring in a big bike from the states and do it legal but one of the custums officer took a fansy to the bike and it took him almost 2 years to clear it and retreave the bike. So yes it can be done just check out everything fully not just getting in to Thailand but as you have it back to gether make sure you can make it legal. Also what do you need to show the insurance people. There are people on TV that know all but before they may reply you get many but heads replying first so I would list you questions on another Biker forum first.

Edited by furyrider

Importing the engine is not a issue just have a packing slip and invoice from the commercial seller and have db schenker handle it.....getting a green book for 40k baht or any price is highly unlikely. Think about all the bikes that are here with no tags? Dont you think if there was a way for 40k that people would do it...

I've read many sad stories in this forum of people who import s/h bikes and can't get them registered. They ride around on red plates and pay tea money to the police. Or they try and sell them on B&S.....advertising they have an invoice and tax receipt.....but no green book. There is plenty there now!

Plus the fact that imported second-hand bike/scooters are not being registered by DLT...has been the law since 2012. But you can still bring in a new bike/scooter and get it registered....once you has the emissions test.

I think you would be just dreaming , I have 2 Kawasaki 1000 & 1100 I would love to ship. Never gonna happen at least legally with the newly enforced laws. But hey you seem to feel lucky. You can give it a try & be one of the very few that completed the task at hand. It would have to be worth $150,000 -$2,000,000 USD to make me want to ship over anything that is going to be an absolute nightmare getting it legal. That & it can be confiscated for many reasons including the copper taking a fancy to it. Bang Saray has 4 nice bikes now with crushed titles that can never be made legal even with an act of God. It would be ludicrous to even fathom trying over such a low cost bike. Even illegally it would be hella difficult to get a used green book for that bike. They just lifted a bike for bad paperwork about 3 months ago at the regents school DLT. Tow truck tickets a whining farang etc.

Like Clint Eastwood would say "you gotta ask yourself do you feel lucky .

The cost would be probably 3 times the amount it would be worth. They go for $700.00 imported from Vietnam to the U.S. but in the states you pay the customs duties & taxes no problem. Her it is nothing but problems & reoccurring nightmares.

Since the newer laws went into effect the Honda 400 super fours went from 300,000 baht to 140,000 baht . That & you can buy a new legal super four for a decent price with a warranty.

On material possessions I never get married.....always replaceable with something as good or much better. But at the end of the day it is up to you.

If you do decide to go through with it post it we would all love to here about the one lucky guy or gal that got super lucky in regards to getting an out of date bike over here. Unfortunately from reading over 500 tales of woe You & I & everyone else are 2-10 years late to the importing party.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 2

if you want to get is although many stated here like there will be lots of problems and strings and if it is ok for you to get screwed in thai red tape and bureaucracy, just get it then!

no one can stop you, it is your life.

Im miffed, and confused. I post an honest, straight forward question and recieve snotty replies like this. Yes, I know it can be done. Have I done it before? No. Was I living in cloud cuckoo land hoping that maybe someone on this forum has experience in doing so, and could offer some advice? Yes, it seems.

What you are basicly saying is: Do not post any question pertaining to any project you are about to embark on. Just get on with it and hopefully, fail.

I am spending roughly half the amount on a scooter of my choice, compared to what I would spend in Thailand with limited choice. Half. Im going to save around 300,000 Baht buying the scooter back home. Even if i spend that 300,000 baht on import costs and registration fees, at least I had a crack doing it, learnt from the experience and more importantly, chose the exact scooter I wanted.

If you are such an expert on importing scooters Paz, then why dont you share this information with us, instead of speculating on worst case scenarious. The only thing you are an expert on, I am guessing, is doom and frigging gloom.

I bet your a smashing fella to have a pint with.....

Why you want to spend all these energies debating here and telling me how a nice person I am? After all, I'm not your obstacle, the Thai system is.

Just do it, spend 300,000 Bt to import and register the exact Lambretta you want, while have a crack doing it!

All what I'm asking is that once you are done with that, you come back here with a couple pictures and make all these naysayers shut up.

Edited by paz

Furyrider, brilliant and usefull reply, thanks. You have really got me thinking here which is a good thing, as this is just more evidence that I need to be right on the ball with this.

Good point with stripping the motor. I will have that done also. Better safe than sorry and yes you are right, all customs will see is an engine casing.

Jesus man your friends went through h_ell with this didnt they.

One other thing I might be able to do in order to get the green book is to buy the cheapest (and worst) TV engine available in Thailand, that comes with a book. Then I could simply use the enhgine casing from the 'snotter' on my scooter and presto, you have a scooter with a book. I dont know how feasable it is to find one though. Its easy to sit here writing about it but actualy going off and finding one is another matter I guess.

Man this realy has got me thinking. Its all gonna be a tad stressfull, isnt it....

I think you would be just dreaming , I have 2 Kawasaki 1000 & 1100 I would love to ship. Never gonna happen at least legally with the newly enforced laws. But hey you seem to feel lucky. You can give it a try & be one of the very few that completed the task at hand. It would have to be worth $150,000 -$2,000,000 USD to make me want to ship over anything that is going to be an absolute nightmare getting it legal. That & it can be confiscated for many reasons including the copper taking a fancy to it. Bang Saray has 4 nice bikes now with crushed titles that can never be made legal even with an act of God. It would be ludicrous to even fathom trying over such a low cost bike. Even illegally it would be hella difficult to get a used green book for that bike. They just lifted a bike for bad paperwork about 3 months ago at the regents school DLT. Tow truck tickets a whining farang etc.

Like Clint Eastwood would say "you gotta ask yourself do you feel lucky .

The cost would be probably 3 times the amount it would be worth. They go for $700.00 imported from Vietnam to the U.S. but in the states you pay the customs duties & taxes no problem. Her it is nothing but problems & reoccurring nightmares.

Since the newer laws went into effect the Honda 400 super fours went from 300,000 baht to 140,000 baht . That & you can buy a new legal super four for a decent price with a warranty.

On material possessions I never get married.....always replaceable with something as good or much better. But at the end of the day it is up to you.

If you do decide to go through with it post it we would all love to here about the one lucky guy or gal that got super lucky in regards to getting an out of date bike over here. Unfortunately from reading over 500 tales of woe You & I & everyone else are 2-10 years late to the importing party.

Thanks for that. Christ though, what a downer. This also has got me thinking a bit harder about it now.

Where is the evidence for so many people failing at this though? Im not doubting you, its just that I know of only one person doing it, and he was successfull. Obviously im not saying "everyone I know that has done it has been lucky" as I only know of one, lol. I just had a quick search on this forum and couldnt find anything, I could be searching incorectly though.

How exactly do these people fail, do you know? Do they use the same method that I was thinking about - stripping it down and sending over several packages? or do they try and get it through crated?

I may be wrong, but the fact that this is a 50 year old scooter we are talking about might help, in comparison to people whom you know that have imported brand new bikes? What I mean is, I will be sending over small packages each time with a few very old parts in. Im hoping that most customs officials will look at the package and think "just a few old parts, charge him 1000 Baht". A kawasaki 1000 by comparison is a much bigger bike with many more components, each one looking relativley brand new. Do you see what I mean? There is a difference.

Can I just say to anyone else thinking of posting a reply here.... There is no need to jump all over my arse here and have a go at me. This is something I am thinking of doing, wanted some advice on, and its a reasonable question. No need for anyone to insinuate im a total dick just for wanting to have a go at something that could be very hard to pull off.

Longshoot I wasn't trying to be a downer on your post but since 2010ish I have not seen 5 people post they had any luck or at least as PAZ said spend the 300,000 baht to import a motorscooter (probably not worth that brand new) & see how it goes. It really is an uphill battle as many of the posters have bikes back home that they would have sent here if it wasn't so figgin hard. Most of the reply's you have gotten have bikes that because of the redtape it just isn't worth it. By the time you are done you could have most likely gotten a 650 Ninja with a warranty & had your hand on full legal paperwork the same day you buy. This is a very touch situation here in LOS to import. Even the major importers here are absolutely hating all the new rules & major backhander payments on top of the existing backhanders involved. That is why I say it would have to be a Lamborgini or a 67 Ferrari Dino to be worth the hassle. Even a 600 hp dodge charger(new) would not be worth the expense. Do a search this is a widely talked about issue as well as on the other bike forums in LOS & Asia in general. You really would need to get a greenbook off of a dead or wrecked bike that matches the description to a T. The old days lots of wiggle room but now they really use the computers & run the numbers on the engines & the frame & then etch the stamps if they think you or someone pulled a slick willy & grinded & restamped the numbers as happened the last time I was at The DLT office in Pattaya.If you were involved in the actual restamping that would be considered fraud & the DLT has a bad case of hemorrhoids when it comes to leniency in this matter. Possibly a 200,000-300,000 baht donation would get them to look the other way, but it is a whole different game now that they have forced most of us to just bite the bullet & buy a new ride. And the upside is parts are everywhere with an order on most of the bikes(Not at all sure about the Chinese rides)

But at the end of the day its your money. I would say goodbye to my girl if they changed the rules on relationships here(any more than it is already)

Just do yourself a favor & spend a day or 3 & browse the forums for info- And there maybe one or 2 people saying it can be done & they have done it- but at best they are going to hold your greenbook up for years before you actually get it.

Edit: Trust me most of us would have our Japanese made bikes shipped up here if it was worthwhile......Just Sayin

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

Longshoot I wasn't trying to be a downer on your post but since 2010ish I have not seen 5 people post they had any luck or at least as PAZ said spend the 300,000 baht to import a motorscooter (probably not worth that brand new) & see how it goes. It really is an uphill battle as many of the posters have bikes back home that they would have sent here if it wasn't so figgin hard. Most of the reply's you have gotten have bikes that because of the redtape it just isn't worth it. By the time you are done you could have most likely gotten a 650 Ninja with a warranty & had your hand on full legal paperwork the same day you buy. This is a very touch situation here in LOS to import. Even the major importers here are absolutely hating all the new rules & major backhander payments on top of the existing backhanders involved. That is why I say it would have to be a Lamborgini or a 67 Ferrari Dino to be worth the hassle. Even a 600 hp dodge charger(new) would not be worth the expense. Do a search this is a widely talked about issue as well as on the other bike forums in LOS & Asia in general. You really would need to get a greenbook off of a dead or wrecked bike that matches the description to a T. The old days lots of wiggle room but now they really use the computers & run the numbers on the engines & the frame & then etch the stamps if they think you or someone pulled a slick willy & grinded & restamped the numbers as happened the last time I was at The DLT office in Pattaya.If you were involved in the actual restamping that would be considered fraud & the DLT has a bad case of hemorrhoids when it comes to leniency in this matter. Possibly a 200,000-300,000 baht donation would get them to look the other way, but it is a whole different game now that they have forced most of us to just bite the bullet & buy a new ride. And the upside is parts are everywhere with an order on most of the bikes(Not at all sure about the Chinese rides)

But at the end of the day its your money. I would say goodbye to my girl if they changed the rules on relationships here(any more than it is already)

Just do yourself a favor & spend a day or 3 & browse the forums for info- And there maybe one or 2 people saying it can be done & they have done it- but at best they are going to hold your greenbook up for years before you actually get it.

Edit: Trust me most of us would have our Japanese made bikes shipped up here if it was worthwhile......Just Sayin

Hey Beardog. My last paragraph wasnt aimed at you - just a general request to any other posters. Its a strange thing this forum: people get so bloody touchy and personal over small things and I dunno, I could just do without snotty comments. Who needs it. Also its as though some people are willing you to fail at times?

Anyway, I appreciate the extra feedback. Im going to sound like a bloke who gives in easily now, as I am edging towards throwing the towel in right now, before I have even put a blag together even. All of this feedback shows there must be substance to it. No smoke without fire, kinda thing. So yah... Maybe you and everyone else is right. It seems that it is destined for failure.

That said Beardog, you seem to be talking about important a complete motorbike, crated up? Are you taking into consideration that I am talking about breaking the whole scooter down? If so can you explain why that would go wrong? Im not trying to call your bluff or anything and again, I genuinely do not doubt your opinion, but no one has explained to me yet what exactly would happen in my case.

So for example, lets say I break it down back in the UK. I fly back with the panels and frame and sail through customs. So far, so lucky. Just the engine etc to go now. Lets say the next thing I have sent over is a box containing a stripped down carb, piston kit, and fuel tank. Customs open the box.... and then what? Im not challenging you here mate, honestly. I get now that there is a very high chance of this failing, but what I dont get is how. So what would customs do? I have ordered loads of scooter parts from all over the world and its 50/50 weather I get hit with customs charges or not. When i do, its never more than a few thousand baht.

Putting the green book etc to side just for one minute.....

Edited by thelongshoot

the bike has to be stripped and shipped to a registered company in 3 separate lots frame, engine and the rest , but as a classic it is further complicated by homolagation rules and may not be recognised by the Thai land transport dept , it can be done but its a real minefield , some wealthy Thais have shipped classics such as A10s and T120 from UK as complete bike using classic shippers and used an age related import process but you will need expert advice for that route .

The way the newer law states it is even harder now to ship in parts than to just pay all the expenses on an imported bike. I just read about 3 weeks ago that a poster said it took over 2 years to acquire a green book after all the hoops he went through. Personally if it was me unless it is a real real expensive ride I wouldn't even bother as they are getting sold out of Vietnam for $700-$1000 in Sonoma California. I know the owner. But that being said there are zero crazy restrictions to keep imports out of the U.S.. They really like us to buy the Thai made bikes or go through the grinder to get it booked if possible. My ford truck 4 months old sold for $17,800 in the U.S. They wanted another 26,700 to ship & it was only 10% was the shipping cost. Just not worth it & it being a California vehicle it would have passed emissions no problem.And that was just to get it into the country in 2004 when I moved here. I still would have had to pay for the emissions test & titling the truck, Pretty much the same snafu for bikes.I sold the truck for a quick $12,000 & took my loss of $5800 USD & actually saved $21,6000 by dumping it.But if you do find a way I have 2 Kawi's I would love to ship over! like others say there may be a way through Red Baron or one of the places that import but you will get killed on duties & taxes & backhander taxes & at the end of the day you will have thought it was easier to just buy a midrange bike for less money & succumb to the Thai way.If there was another way around it you would have had one of the 3 people that have done or do imports on TV giving you a clue & encouragement. It really would be going against the grain, A lot of cost headaches & stress & it may not fly even throughout all your efforts.

Good luck on whatever way you chose!

Edited by Beardog

A friend of mine brought in 3 bikes from the Middle East about 7 years ago (he was working / living there and moved back to Thailand).

He stripped all the bikes down and shipped them several containers along with other domestic items.

All the parts arrived with him, although he had to make a "special arrangement" with officials to get them out of the country.

Once assembled, the bikes needed registering and insuring, this was another real pain. Unfortunately, he decided to go down an illegal path which involved false papers.

He ended up losing one bike of great value, the "fixer" in Thailand was exposed.

I lived in Singapore for some time and have also considered riding the bike into Thailand and keeping it there - legally. But really, its not financially worth it - far better to buy one locally and legally.