Thai PM maintains February 2 election date: ruling party source

webfact

Here in Nakhon Sawan there are a few posters but otherwise you not think an election was days away, what can you say its a mess and it does not look good for the country or democracy, must do better!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting cloudier by the hour. So, is this a Thai election for everywhere except Bangkok and the south of Thailand then?

A warm welcome awaits President Yingluck of the newly founded 'Republic of Lanna and E-san' from all corners of the world.

I would say this is an election for the 80% of Thai voters polled by the Bangkok Post last weekend who confirmed they wanted the election to go ahead.

So youre saying the BKK post polled 80% of the electorate? thats 54 million people? You need to think before you post!

The number of voters will be 10 - 20 times more than last Sunday. If the protesters try to obstruct the people's democratic right they are absolutely in the wrong and deserve everything they get.

They're protesters, demonstrators. Not 2010's terror hungry rented mobs. Says a lot about your character.

No need to get personal!!! So grabbing voters by the throat, throwing them to the floor, locking themn out and forcing them to climb over locked gates is peaceful? democratic? permissible? I think NOT

But im sure you think that co-ordinating attacks from Dubai with rockets, grenades, bombs and automatic weapons is the duty of every red shirt!! Shinawatra fascism is fine isnt it?

Bravo Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra! Bring the vote.

Our prayers are with you.

What a joke...............

"Elections on February 2nd could not be any more cartoonishly 3rd world, corrupt, and illegitimate. The opposition is boycotting them, the only major party contending them is openly run by a convicted criminal and his own sister, and now they have outlawed protests, opposition media, and suspended the rule of law.......... If they do begin censoring the media, arresting the opposition, and dispersing protesters – (media, opposition, and protesters all being parts of democracy, not just elections) their “victory” on February 2nd will look no different that Saddam’s or Kim Jong Ill’s. If they fail to disrupt protests which are set to expand as rice farmers cheated by the regime begin joining in, it will be the final nail in their coffin. The regime will not survive if elections are postponed." http://www.globalresearch.ca/thailand-thaksins-mad-dash-to-sham-elections/5365800

Thaksin is running out of cards to play, the spin doctors are working overtime doing damage control. His only option is to win a legitimate election, form a parliament, gain control of the treasury and grant themselves amnesty.

Hmmm.... interesting comment. And here I am, all along thinking that they were getting stronger by the day......

is that what theyre telling you in your village?

• Like 2

Strange I tried visiting Thai Election Commission website www.ect.go.th/english/

and got warning

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

My purpose of visiting the site was to get the name of the other commissioners. It seems to me there is only one at the moment and he seems like deciding everything.

Edited by icommunity
  • Like 1

This is getting cloudier by the hour. So, is this a Thai election for everywhere except Bangkok and the south of Thailand then?

A warm welcome awaits President Yingluck of the newly founded 'Republic of Lanna and E-san' from all corners of the world.

I would say this is an election for the 80% of Thai voters polled by the Bangkok Post last weekend who confirmed they wanted the election to go ahead.

So youre saying the BKK post polled 80% of the electorate? thats 54 million people? You need to think before you post!

Pretty obvious to most readers I would hope that I was saying the election was for the 80% (of Thai voters polled by the Bangkok Post last weekend) who confirmed they wanted the election to go ahead.

But I'm sure you knew that already.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

No, do not include all of us please.

Not to worry, there's a provision for you in this one.

Bravo Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra! Our prayers are still with you. And at a time of your choosing please accept our humble, human sacrifices of the lame and the ignorant who post here amongst us. May they enrich the soil of Thailand for all it's people. Amen.

"Elections on February 2nd could not be any more cartoonishly 3rd world, corrupt, and illegitimate. The opposition is boycotting them, the only major party contending them is openly run by a convicted criminal and his own sister, and now they have outlawed protests, opposition media, and suspended the rule of law.......... If they do begin censoring the media, arresting the opposition, and dispersing protesters – (media, opposition, and protesters all being parts of democracy, not just elections) their “victory” on February 2nd will look no different that Saddam’s or Kim Jong Ill’s. If they fail to disrupt protests which are set to expand as rice farmers cheated by the regime begin joining in, it will be the final nail in their coffin. The regime will not survive if elections are postponed." http://www.globalresearch.ca/thailand-thaksins-mad-dash-to-sham-elections/5365800

Thaksin is running out of cards to play, the spin doctors are working overtime doing damage control. His only option is to win a legitimate election, form a parliament, gain control of the treasury and grant themselves amnesty.

Hmmm.... interesting comment. And here I am, all along thinking that they were getting stronger by the day......

Yes.

Incidentally, my village is Bangkok. To be specific, my mooban is "Intersection Asoke / Sukhumvit". But I guess you were too blind / blinkered / ignorant / stupid to realise that.

• Like 1

Yes.

Incidentally, my village is Bangkok. To be specific, my mooban is "Intersection Asoke / Sukhumvit". But I guess you were too blind / blinkered / ignorant / stupid to realise that.

I think it was a rhetorical question, but considering you have obvious emotional control issues we can understand the misunderstanding.

I think that is very sensible. Now Mr. Suthep can show that he is really democratic as he claims, by removing his "thugs" from outside the polling stations and allowing every Thai citizen their unalienable right to vote. Surely this is what all democracy is about! One person, one vote. Let the people decide.

Decide what? To vote for the PT or the PT. There is no credible opposition party so the vote is meaningless. There are already so many problems that the results are worthless and the PM will be impeached before she can ever form a government. This is a huge waste of money and time and will result in more deaths for no good reason. YS is just trying to cling to power. Better for her to resign, and organize an election where there is an actual choice available.

FEBRUARY 2 ELECTION
Poll set for Sunday amid fears of further violence

Somroutai Sapsomboon
Hataikarn Treesuwan

30225472-01_big.gif
Protesters swarm over a man they suspect had earlier shot and wounded a fellow protester outside the Army Club yesterday afternoon.

Protest leader predicts prolonged battle if balloting goes ahead.

BANGKOK: -- THE DECISION to go ahead with the February 2 election would only mount pressure on the caretaker government because it would provide "ammunition" to the protesters, a leader of the People's Democratic for Reform Committee (PDRC) said yesterday.

The protest leader told The Nation, on condition of anonymity, that this decision would be advantageous for the PDRC as it would give them reason to continue. He said that if the government decided to delay the poll, the PDRC would have no reason to keep rallying.

After failing to reach a consensus yesterday over rescheduling the poll in a meeting with the Election Commission (EC), the government announced that the snap election would go ahead as scheduled - this Sunday.

Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana, who was at the meeting, said delaying the poll would not solve problems and could open the door to more trouble.

The government and EC have been at loggerheads over delaying the election. The commission has been saying the poll should not be held due to the anti-government rallies, while the government has been arguing that delaying it would not end the protests either.

The protest leader said that while Pheu Thai Party would most definitely win the poll, its legitimacy would certainly be questioned. And it is feared that clashes may break out, as they did last Sunday, when advance voting was held. There could also be problems such as a delay in the endorsement of the winner and the inability of the House to convene.

Moreover, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra - who is again Pheu Thai's top candidate - is being investigated by the National Anti-Corruption Commission in relation to the rice-pledging scheme. If she is indicted, it might affect her political status.

"The fight between the PDRC and the Yingluck government will become a prolonged battle and not end soon," he said.

Meanwhile, PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban announced last night that another 195 prominent individuals were ready to support his reform agenda. They include former Bank of Thailand governor Pridiyathorn Devakula, former commerce minister Krirk-krai Jirapaet and Magsaysay award winner Krisna Kraisintu.

Separately, Nipit Intarasombat, deputy Democrat leader, said he would sue the Cabinet for not postponing the election, which would cost the country Bt3.8 billion.

Earlier, Yingluck met all five EC members and ministers, including Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha Promnok, PM's Office Minister Varathep Rattanakorn and Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

Yingluck proposed that the election should only be postponed in constituencies or at polling stations that have had problems. She wanted constituencies where no candidates have enrolled, or advance voting was blocked, to have a new election date.

Election Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said he analysed scenarios for the government to consider. He said there were plenty of problems already and more likely after ballots are cast.

The House would not be able to sit for three to four months, he said, as the number of elected candidates would be below 95 per cent, the legal quorum required.

There were 28 constituencies, mostly in the South, which lack candidates to contest the ballot, he said. The government needed a new decree or the EC needed a new declaration to set a new date, perhaps two to three months for voting in the 28 remaining constituencies.

Without complete results, the EC could not calculate the number of party-list MPs, he said. It would need at least 4 to 6 months.

Somchai said the EC would have to hold new elections for 83 constituencies, where advance voting was blocked last Sunday.

He said some 2.1 million voters who had registered to cast absentee ballots or advance votes were yet to exercise their right. They would have the right to cast ballots by late February, he said.

Somchai and Phongthep briefed the media on the outcome of the meeting but it seemed that they came out to argue against each other. When Phongthep said the delay would not solve any problems because protesters would not stop, Somchai argued that an election this weekend would face all kinds of trouble.

During the conference, three men came to protest. One man showed a placard that said "Respect us". He said they came from a group called "We are 100 per cent Thai citizens who want the EC to resign."

Meanwhile, a new problem emerged shortly after all 50 district chiefs have asked to step down en masse as heads of the EC in their areas in Bangkok, citing fears for their safety and huge pressure from both political camps.

Bangkok City Clerk Ninnart Chalitanont said Bang Kapi district chief Sin Nitithadakul had tendered his resignation. The other district chiefs also want to resign but were worried that the EC may not be able to find replacements for them in time.

She said the district chiefs did not want to face the dramas that occurred during advance voting last Sunday.

Ninnart said the EC would have to appoint new committees within 20 days before the election date if the other chiefs resign.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-29

It is absolutely fascinating to me that Thaksin, whoops I mean Yingluck has decided to go ahead with

yet another sham election riddled with vote buying. With Yingluck facing charges over the corrupt

rice scheme, in order to try to hang onto power, guess she must have to keep trying to hold onto the

reins of power in order to stop charges from being bought. Have a feeling there will be some serious

blood being shed next week.....

It is absolutely fascinating to me that Thaksin, whoops I mean Yingluck has decided to go ahead with

yet another sham election riddled with vote buying. With Yingluck facing charges over the corrupt

rice scheme, in order to try to hang onto power, guess she must have to keep trying to hold onto the

reins of power in order to stop charges from being bought. Have a feeling there will be some serious

Dont think theres much buying going on

1 They dont have any funds

2 There is no opposition to worry about

Kinda hard to buy votes with no money and a bit pointless when you have no one running as a serious opposition... if they had they may have made a dent as it is they threw it away to a broke gov ...now thats funny cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by englishoak

Dont think theres much buying going on

1 They dont have any funds

2 There is no opposition to worry about

Kinda hard to buy votes with no money and a bit pointless when you have no one running as a serious opposition... if they had they may have made a dent as it is they threw it away to a broke gov ...now thats funny cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The only funny thing here is you laughing at the waste of a hard earned Thai tax payer money. It serves you well and tells a bit about your character. It's also showing your true colours.wink.png

i think posters on TV should realize that there are many paid to post members here on TV on the political forum

it was the same in 2006, 2010 and its happening again now

they are easily identified with recently joined TV dates, no posts or a low number of posts that are not politically motivated posts

they are here to promote/defend the government and attempt to whitewash the Shinwatra family

the mods have enough to do without checking out every new member and scrutinizing every post

now everyone i see who i suspect of fitting this criterior will be on block

i urge you to do the same

they are simply wasting the time of genuine people who have a genuine view and raising the temperature of pressure cooker that is the TV political forum for their own ends

Of course, Yingluck would not delay the election. She wants one on February 2, because there is no opposition. If the election was delayed for four to five months, perhaps there would be time for a coalition group of disenchanted farmers, Red Shirts (who are truly for democracy and reforms, and arent just in Thaksins pocket), and the majority of protesters (who truly want to see reform and the end of corruption), to join together and form a new party with well-respected members to run against her. Then she would have real opposition and perhaps not win.

Elections will be held, some people will get hurt/killed,results will be inconclusive/contested. The schizm will get wider, tourism will suffer....Thai Visa members will complain/bicker.

Let me see...did I miss it all....?

Oh yeah...some idiot will blame America for all this...somehow/someway.

I think that is very sensible. Now Mr. Suthep can show that he is really democratic as he claims, by removing his "thugs" from outside the polling stations and allowing every Thai citizen their unalienable right to vote. Surely this is what all democracy is about! One person, one vote. Let the people decide.

Think about what you're saying maybe?? There are only going to be one set of candidates fielded in this farce of an election, voters do not have a choice who to vote for, they can only abstain!

Gee, seems like everyone HAD a chance to get into the election. Just because they refused to participate does not diminish the outcome one bit. Reminds me of jerks when I was a kid that refused to play but wouldn't let anyone else on the field. Selfish, arrogant pricks. The game goes on with or without Suthep and his thugs.

• Like 1

Please tell us why oh wise one! Well the reason is that Sethups guys are the guys playing Al Capone, setting up road block, searching people, now even stories off intimidation on people going to work. IN Mongolia we have saying

" When a Bull Yak is interrupted with his Lady friend, better not be a passing attractive Camel"

In my home country there is a saying: 'you can not break iron with hands' . Reforms in Thailand take time and elections is the path to follow. What Suthep archives is only putting the country / reforms steps back. With a ruined economy there won' t be place for democracy. Singapore became a serious democracy once the standard of life was well for all. Under Yingluck, I keep saying that, the country's economics are doing pretty well.

Singapore - a democracy?? Thailand's economics doing well under Yingluck (and the caddy) ?? Have you been drinking???

i think posters on TV should realize that there are many paid to post members here on TV on the political forum

they are easily identified with recently joined TV dates, no posts or a low number of posts that are not politically motivated posts

they are here to promote/defend the government and attempt to whitewash the Shinwatra family

the mods have enough to do without checking out every new member and scrutinizing every post

they are simply wasting the time of genuine people who have a genuine view and raising the temperature of pressure cooker that is the TV political forum for their own ends

Would appreciate if you could share the usernames of those that you suspect are paid to post posters, from BOTH SIDES.

Would appreciate if you could share the usernames of those that you suspect are paid to post posters, from BOTH SIDES.

its my own personal decision as to who is and is not

you should exercise your own intuition and make a decision as to who you think is paid to post on both sides

its hardly a democratic free choice if i have to tell you who i think they are

it also highlights a character flaw that ought to prohibit you from posting about serious grown up matters, if you have to ask a stranger to lead you to make a decision

Edited by blackman

Decide what? To vote for the PT or the PT. There is no credible opposition party so the vote is meaningless. There are already so many problems that the results are worthless and the PM will be impeached before she can ever form a government. This is a huge waste of money and time and will result in more deaths for no good reason. YS is just trying to cling to power. Better for her to resign, and organize an election where there is an actual choice available.

As the democrates are not running she will never be able to say she won a democratic election

To win by default has never give anyone satisfaction to say they where the best thats why the won

If you think the democrats are not ready for this, you are a fool

The real game starts after the people have voted and points of LAW starts

For those who want the Election, Pandoras Box has only just been opened

If the election gives the winning party over 50% of the registered votes, that party will have a mandate to run the country as the elected government. If the south of Thailand do not like it, all I can say is that it is time for Thailand to become smaller again.

So if only PT supporters vote, isn't there a minimum turnout the government would need to be able to form a viable government?

No! it is only the Democrats and their supporters that are not voting, all of the rest of the country is voting the winner should be allowed the victory, as the Court is now making law, maybe they will find that those that boycotted the election would have lost anyway even if they had voted.

Stranger things have happened in the LOS!

c

Cheers

your foolish thought are about to see the Law in Thailand is not the way you think it is

Even if PTP wins 90% they still face a mass of legal disputes that will keep them from forming a government for months to come

start thinking of more reasons why the Democrats are bad, your only seeing the tip of the iceberg