Bangkok traffic police ordered to crack down on 13 traffic law violations

webfact

As from today, ALL monies collected by the police SHALL be forwarded to the treasury. Receipt books issued with carbon backed pages, in triplicate 1 for the offender-1 for the police record and one forwarded to Government accounts.

Fancy having to order( after all these years of B/S,) the police to do their jobs, If they have not done this then sack the area police chief. EASY.

Crackdown B/S is a big joke and has been for decades.

We must not forget the police get paid to protect the public - not just collect.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of crosswalks! In most countries drivers are required to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Here they are largely ignored, even when there are push-buttons, timers and signal lights. At the one near me, I push the button, wait patiently for 40 seconds, and when the 'walk' light turns green -- I continue to wait as the traffic just goes on whizzing by, right through the red lights! Even if I manage to stop the cars and trucks by actually standing on the crosswalk in the middle of a traffic lane, the motorcycles threading the narrow gaps between those vehicles continue at full speed. And nothing stops the buses. I never try to cross the street ahead of an approaching bus. They don't even slow down; in fact I think they speed up and try to hit me before I can scuttle across to the the (relative) safety of the opposite sidewalk - where I am just as likely to get hit by a motorcycle taxi!

I would love to know if there is any law about any of this, and if there is, why there is not even any pretence of enforcement.

I think those white lines are largely ornamental!

• Like 1

Traffic enforcement here is a joke. I was stopped along the Mitraphap highway travelling between Bangkok and Vientiane about 3 times last week and in all cases, there was no fine levied for my speeding or driving on red plates at night (although I did the right thing by filling out the brown book) etc. The Thai police are really very nice but if they were to start rigorously enforcing traffic laws then maybe the road toll would finally improve. I have to admit however, that I was surprised by the amount of enforcement as I travel along this highway (and the highways north to Chiang Mai and Mae Sai) regularly and very rarely see any sort of enforcement or at most one speed trap once every full moon or something.

The following priorities for enforcement that I see are as follows: Increase the ridiculously low speed limit on open highways from 90 to 100 or 110km/h BUT at the same time, enforce the law, only allowing a maximum 10% tolerance. This means install more fixed and mobile speed cameras (especially in known accident spots) and increase the penalties for speeding significantly, rather than the slap on the wrist punishments that are handed out now. As it stands there seems to be an unwritten law that police don't even bother stopping anyone going less than 120km/h (unless it's a slow day), in effect meaning that all 90km/h highway roads allow for travel at up to 120km/h. Indeed, that's the average I and many other drivers travel at unless there is traffic blocking my way in front. Even if you get stopped for going faster, either you can talk your way out of a fine or it ends up being like 200 Baht (sometimes only 100). However, like in other countries there should be greater enforcement towards speeding in the cities and proportionally less on straight, flat stretches of open highway. I would never speed in a dense built-up area, but with so little enforcement, nobody seems to care.

Driving against the flow of traffic. This mainly concerns motorcycles, but offenders should be severely punished with steep fines, license revocation and if that still doesn't work, bikes should be confiscated until fines are paid.

Poor lane discipline. This requires more cameras and heavy fines should be meted out to offenders.

No helmet wearing for motorcycle riders (including passengers). Heavy fines, license revocation and if that still doesn't work, bikes should be confiscated until fines are paid. Geez if they can do it in Vietnam, why can't they do it in Thailand?

Illegal parking. OK, they've talked about this a lot but how many times have you encountered just one idiot who parks on a busy street holding up dozens of vehicles behind who are then forced to move into the middle or right lane? I really hope they start towing away offending vehicles like they've promised.

Drink driving. It seems that despite the rhetoric, the penalties are NOT harsh enough. Tough fines, jail time, license revocation and vehicle confiscation are what the penalties SHOULD be.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Traffic enforcement here is a joke. I was stopped along the Mitraphap highway travelling between Bangkok and Vientiane about 3 times last week and in all cases, there was no fine levied for my speeding or driving on red plates at night (although I did the right thing by filling out the brown book) etc. The Thai police are really very nice but if they were to start rigorously enforcing traffic laws then maybe the road toll would finally improve. I have to admit however, that I was surprised by the amount of enforcement as I travel along this highway (and the highways north to Chiang Mai and Mae Sai) regularly and very rarely see any sort of enforcement or at most one speed trap once every full moon or something.

The following priorities for enforcement that I see are as follows: Increase the ridiculously low speed limit on open highways from 90 to 100 or 110km/h BUT at the same time, enforce the law, only allowing a maximum 10% tolerance. This means install more fixed and mobile speed cameras (especially in known accident spots) and increase the penalties for speeding significantly, rather than the slap on the wrist punishments that are handed out now. As it stands there seems to be an unwritten law that police don't even bother stopping anyone going less than 120km/h (unless it's a slow day), in effect meaning that all 90km/h highway roads allow for travel at up to 120km/h. Indeed, that's the average I and many other drivers travel at unless there is traffic blocking my way in front. Even if you get stopped for going faster, either you can talk your way out of a fine or it ends up being like 200 Baht (sometimes only 100). However, like in other countries there should be greater enforcement towards speeding in the cities and proportionally less on straight, flat stretches of open highway. I would never speed in a dense built-up area, but with so little enforcement, nobody seems to care.

Driving against the flow of traffic. This mainly concerns motorcycles, but offenders should be severely punished with steep fines, license revocation and if that still doesn't work, bikes should be confiscated until fines are paid.

Poor lane discipline. This requires more cameras and heavy fines should be meted out to offenders.

No helmet wearing for motorcycle riders (including passengers). Heavy fines, license revocation and if that still doesn't work, bikes should be confiscated until fines are paid. Geez if they can do it in Vietnam, why can't they do it in Thailand?

Illegal parking. OK, they've talked about this a lot but how many times have you encountered just one idiot who parks on a busy street holding up dozens of vehicles behind who are then forced to move into the middle or right lane? I really hope they start towing away offending vehicles like they've promised.

Drink driving. It seems that despite the rhetoric, the penalties are NOT harsh enough. Tough fines, jail time, license revocation and vehicle confiscation are what the penalties SHOULD be.

I prefer Thailand to be free, do what you want. . the way it is now.

If you want heavy handed draconian policing go home.

• Like 2

The other day I was thinking that if Police were not allowed to be politicians, there would not be much need for the so acclaimed Reform (before or after election). Just think of all the politicians that have made career at the Police, and how the country would be without them.

laugh.png

Edited by MGP

I prefer Thailand to be free, do what you want. . the way it is now.

If you want heavy handed draconian policing go home.

WOW, you want it to carry on like it is now.......Heavy handed is OK. if you do wrong suffer. This is a money making franchise not a police force.

• Like 1

This is all very subjective... I mean, what is "parking", and how is it different to "stopping"? I think we need a moratorium on the terms, before they actually consider any enforcement. It seems futile to enforce these very appropriate laws without reforms. We need a good person to head this up... a person in a very respected and "high" position, ideally a person with expertise in both traffic, and the legal system, and preferably someone with a masters degree and a valid drivers license. But where could we find such a person?

From my two year experience of driving bike in BKK on a constant daily basis, who needs crackdown is the bangkok traffic police itself, its better avoid them and turn left or go back otherwise they make up story to pay bribes everytime even if your papers/tax is fine and not to mention i have seen countless times thais on bike are ignoring them just drive away...

• Like 2

All these rules will be a great improvement for the safety and flow of the traffic in BKK.

I want to add to this that minibuses/buses/songthaews have to stop on the most left lane and not on the middle of the road.

Drivers who make accidents should (if possibe) drive to the next fuelstation and wait there for the police/insurance to arrive, not blocking the lane for many hours.

Actually i 'm quite happy with these new rules, i hope they will be enforced forever and BKK will be so much safer/faster.

Edited by namdocmai

All 88 Bangkok police stations have been ordered to take undisciplined driving seriously and issue tickets to drivers who break traffic laws.

Just curious, but what about the rest of the country ?

they will take it less seriously and issue tickets as they deem necessary.

After "extensive research" I came to the conclusion, that Bangkok traffic flows better without the interference of the traffic police. Fire them for incompetence or whatever and use the money saved on their salary for something more useful...

• Like 2

Could they perhaps apply it to the many cars parked outside the police station on Wireless, (that presumably belong to the police). This occurred after the latest recent crackdown on illegally parked cars. But perhaps of course it only applies to some and not others, like all laws in this country.

"6. Overtaking other vehicles in public"

This one is a bit confusing, as is ovetaking other vehicles in congested traffic. Is overtaking only allowed in private and who is to define "congested traffic". Surely all traffic is in public, whether congested or not.

All the other offences are quite clear cut and the police have not clarified why they have failed to take action against them to date. Policemen riding their motor bikes on pavements is a common sight all over Bangkok.

These two are strange...

5. Overtaking other vehicles in the congested traffic
6. Overtaking other vehicles in public

So, when exactly is it permissable to overtake?

Also, nothing about not blocking public roads, setting up semi-permenant stages and tents.

So i guess the blocking of roads and highways is legal then.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

No mention of crosswalks! In most countries drivers are required to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Here they are largely ignored, even when there are push-buttons, timers and signal lights. At the one near me, I push the button, wait patiently for 40 seconds, and when the 'walk' light turns green -- I continue to wait as the traffic just goes on whizzing by, right through the red lights! Even if I manage to stop the cars and trucks by actually standing on the crosswalk in the middle of a traffic lane, the motorcycles threading the narrow gaps between those vehicles continue at full speed. And nothing stops the buses. I never try to cross the street ahead of an approaching bus. They don't even slow down; in fact I think they speed up and try to hit me before I can scuttle across to the the (relative) safety of the opposite sidewalk - where I am just as likely to get hit by a motorcycle taxi!

I would love to know if there is any law about any of this, and if there is, why there is not even any pretence of enforcement.

Try the one between soi 29 and 23, the lights turn red but drivers don't stop. Anyone on the marked crossing doesn't stand a chance. I give them the finger, which elicits angry stares.

1) Whatever happened to speeding, and taking over on the inside lanes?

2) Whatever happened to wearing a helmet, when riding a motorcycle?

Damn... they forgot.... they don't have the ability to monitor 1), as traffic cops are always alseep. The second is only implemented when it includes dosh.

No hope in hell. Driving laws in TH mean driving a car. Anything else that can throw you off course, in a car, is your responsibility, b'cos you couldn't break fast enough!!!!!!! Baahumbug!