Charupong: Violence or not, Sunday election is on

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the election goes ahead I agree that anyone who wants to vote should be allowed to vote, but for all you fools constantly bleating on about upholding democracy. You also have to allow for peaceful protests against the vote, as long as they do not use violence or physically impede voters then that is also their democratic right. Democracy isn't just for for your friends it is also for your enemies whichever side you are on so deal with it.

But that is exactly what they did. Look at video footage on other threads on this forum or search youtube. Voters were PHYSICALLY PREVENTED from voting last weekend. Just as civil servants are being physically impeded from going to work. This is way beyond the bounds of peaceful protest it is an attempt to intimidate an entire nation.

Democracy must be saved.

The government is doing the right thing.

Only those who block the democratic election will bear the responsibility of any delay in forming a new government.

Millions of people, from all sides, want to vote in Feb 2nd...

Why would an insane person, followed by a small bunch of irrational extremists, be allowed to annihilate the most basic right of the people?

Let the yellow crazy ones shut down their own southern provinces, and let the majority of people show them that they don't want to exchange democracy for an unelected "people's minority council".

Praise on Yingluck and the government for not giving up and keep protecting the country from these mad dogs.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

First, the original sin was the removal of a twice elected government by coup d’état. My country, the United States, removed a flawed president (Richard Nixon) by legal means, not by destruction of the constitution and the social contract of the nation.

Secondly, Mr. Thaksin is not the true cause of Thailand's discontent. Thailand has years of legendary corruption that long preceded Mr. Thaksin's election; the Saudi gem mystery; the Hopewell (Bangkok Stonehenge) project; the Wansley sugar mill murder case; the celebrated Thanong Siriprichapong ganja case in the US ... the list is long.

No, just last Sunday I walked throughout the Victory Monument campsite and met many (not a Baccalaureate degree among them) friendly and engaging Thais. Now this is not meant as an indictment of the whistle blowers, but only to illustrate that many really have no understanding about what is at stake when you willingly give up your rights to the will of a few “Good Men.”

But, as many say, Thailand’s “Moment of Truth” is just over the horizon … and this just might be the deposed man’s final revenge. For what good is it to gain the home if it burns down all around you – and by your own hand?

People of good will wish the Thais the best – justice will prevail.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

might as well have said .............."election is on and we do not care how many people die"

It doesn´t go well with Yingluck said a couple of weeks back. "We want peace not power" No we know she really meant it the other way around.

She has a duty to the people of thailand, not only the 15 million who voted for here. Her duty is to keep the country as a democracy and prevent people like Suthep usurping power.

PT Stood down after the rigged election when Newin was brough back to get Abhisit the PM job. They proved they respect the laws there.

Here is now a brazen, shameless with no pretence any more of legitimacy attack on the Thai Democratic system by the Courts, EC and Suthop with the army once more making sure the elites get their rightful place back at the trough. It is disgusting and most educated people are calling this for what it is now.

No support whatsoever from anybody outside his immediate clique. We are all sickened by this and wish Yingluk all the best as she stands up to these dinosours of 1950's power politics. I

You are really seriously deluded, you should seek psychiatric attention immediately...

None spare. All the shrinks are on hand for when Suthep finally goes!!! Which he will.

Is that the best you could come up with? Why don't you defend the Courts and say they are not all in collusion and why you think this.

Why not say that the army has never acted in its own interest or the Dems paid them back with a 35% budget increase for the last coup. Why not say they are not a business clique and that army duty is almost secondary to most of them

Say the army is not top heavy with Generals. Say how many there are and defend it, say how many generasl are in USA forces or UK or Nato etc.

make a good case for them Good as you can... and we will tear it to shreds and embarass you for your trouble.

This is why it is all flames fro your side. There is nothing you can argue about, its a Coup, they are all involved in it and it's not good for the Country... or maybe you think it is.... and maybe even tell us why.

• Like 1

First, the original sin was the removal of a twice elected government by coup d’état. My country, the United States, removed a flawed president (Richard Nixon) by legal means, not by destruction of the constitution and the social contract of the nation.

Secondly, Mr. Thaksin is not the true cause of Thailand's discontent. Thailand has years of legendary corruption that long preceded Mr. Thaksin's election; the Saudi gem mystery; the Hopewell (Bangkok Stonehenge) project; the Wansley sugar mill murder case; the celebrated Thanong Siriprichapong ganja case in the US ... the list is long.

No, just last Sunday I walked throughout the Victory Monument campsite and met many (not a Baccalaureate degree among them) friendly and engaging Thais. Now this is not meant as an indictment of the whistle blowers, but only to illustrate that many really have no understanding about what is at stake when you willingly give up your rights to the will of a few “Good Men.”

But, as many say, Thailand’s “Moment of Truth” is just over the horizon … and this just might be the deposed man’s final revenge. For what good is it to gain the home if it burns down all around you – and by your own hand?

More rubbish except for the last sentence which I agree with.

I'm no expert on US history, but didn't Nixon resign? This is precisely what the protestors want here - Yingluck to resign and take the rest of her clan away from their corrupt power.

Of course corruption has a long history in Thailand but it became quite open around 2004 and has got worse ever since. The country is now deeply divided and it is stupid to ignore who the divisive person (or clan) is.

Just to give a few examples - he changed the law more than once to ensure he was able to sell his companies (AIS & others) to Singtel. He intimidated the tax collectors to ensure that his clan paid no tax on shares brought into the country from offshore. He forced the EXIM bank to increase a loan to Myanmar so they could buy services from AIS (before he sold it).

These are unprecedented and illegal, not to mention corrupt, actions of a master criminal. Some of these are with the courts awaiting his return - which the amnesty attempted to overcome.

BTW if you think that a Baccalaureate somehow defines the quality of a Thai, you don't know what you're talking about. I rather suspect that the protestors know a dam_n site more than you do about Thai politics.

• Like 1

khunken, you did not understand thaigolds well made point that the protesters are following the party in a sort of half thought out idea about corruption being bad. They have enough understanding to launch into a plan but sadly, rarely enough to actually see it through.

I think that is what he meant.

khunken, you did not understand thaigolds well made point that the protesters are following the party in a sort of half thought out idea about corruption being bad. They have enough understanding to launch into a plan but sadly, rarely enough to actually see it through.

I think that is what he meant.

I full well understood what he said & don't need an interpreter.

He, & apparently you, distorts what the protestors clearly want. Corruption tackled and the removal of a clan that is not only refusing to tackle it but regard themselves above the law and the constitution has been their mantra.

The divisiveness started (which he deliberately ignored) in 2001 when Thaksin had his acolyte Sanoh and his wife ensure that his dishonest assets declaration was acceptable. It has got worse ever since.

"He said the caretaker government is indifferent to possible violence during the election which may be eventually nullified."

Well this just goes to show that the ptp dont give a sh*t about anyone except themselves, they need the election so they can bring back big brother and screw the people, they dont care if any are kiiled as long as they get what they want. These idiots are low lifes and continually show it with their disregard for what the people want, the reds in here are just as bad, killings mean nothing to them as long as they get what their master tells them too.

Seems to me Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut is himself indifferent to the violence that will be caused by blocking people from their legitimate right to vote. Shameful the way he's supporting disenfranchisement and then has the audacity to blame others. These idiots are low lives. It makes me really sick. And the people supporting the fascists in here are just as bad - they don't care about anything other than what their master Suthep tells them. The Democrats really don't care about anything except getting back into power, do they? Outrageous really.

• Like 1

The divisiveness started (which he deliberately ignored) in 2001 when Thaksin had his acolyte Sanoh and his wife ensure that his dishonest assets declaration was acceptable. It has got worse ever since.

I think you will find with only a cursory reading of Thai history that the divisions you refer to are much older than Thaksin.

Or are you suggesting that prior to Thaksin there was equitable distribution of wealth, access to justice, and opportunity- ?

And then Thaksin came along and created from this Valhalla a nation with rampant inequities in all aspects.?

You know the term 'historical revisionism'?

How about 'reactionary'?

Maybe while you educate yourself you might want to check the definition of feudalism- and figure out how it legitimized. (or was in other places).

Maybe take a gander at the political system that Mussolini proposed-

Edited by blaze
  • Like 2

The clock is ticking. simple 2 choices here.

1 Respect the 50 or so parties taking part in the elections, do not obstruct the election process and enter into talks and gain back some respect.

or

2 block peoples right to a vote and see more violence, injury, more deaths, be condemned by the international community and lose all respect at home.

Suthep is responsible for whatever comes and has either option 1 or 2... the world and most of Thailand is urging for option 1. Ignore it and Thailand will face the consequences.

Take option 1 Suthep it is the only way forward without bloodshed and if you really love your country it should be a no brainer.

Bleat all you want. There is only Sutheps side actively and physically blocking voters.

They get in the way and get hurt nobody, but nobody gives a dam_n.

We do not want fascism and thailand needs to move forward before it goes bust. I have said this often. Suthep is finacially shielded from this fall out, as are many in the elites. They are quite happy that the country go broke so they have a chance to say iw went broke under PT rule.

Even though nobody supports him, his megalomania drives him on. They want this one last coup, settle scores and set their rancid children up for a generation of the same. How many of Sutheps family involved now through politics, PDRC stage, navy etc.

It's a clan of maniacs and Thailand must get better. Any violence required to keep open democracy is laid firmly at Sutheps door. Firmly and without equivocation, he will be condemned by all world leaders and all NGO's outside of Thailand. They are watching and do not like what they see from the PDRC

when will there be a post that you dont flame and troll and actually make a sensible contribution too - we care about the facts of thailand not about your perverse view of our country - go yo your own country and bleat there!! Even red shirt dont need to hear you!! Calling Thai people fascists and in another post of yours "idiots" is NOT the way to behave on this forum!!

And your post is a sensible contribution? It is a flame- nothing more. Adds nothing.

Get off your high horse-

Do you know what fascism is?

I suspect you think it is merely code for authoritatian.

Compare Sutheps Peoples' Council and the Grand Council of Rome.

I respectfully ask that you learn a bit about the various conflicts and attempted resolutions that have occurred in the world.

And if you study world history, you will note that nothing that is happening here is unique- new - or even interesting.

It is the banality of ignorance.

They don't want to know but when there is a coup and there is a government in exile in the north and a military government installed in Bangkok they won't be laughing so much.

When there are power cuts, food shortages in Bangkok, anarchy on the streets.

They should note that the muslim village heads came out to protect their polling station in Pattani. They want the right to vote.

A thai army fighting on 2 fronts?

Historically it doesn't really work does it?

• Like 1

I think you will find with only a cursory reading of Thai history that the divisions you refer to are much older than Thaksin.

Or are you suggesting that prior to Thaksin there was equitable distribution of wealth, access to justice, and opportunity- ?

And then Thaksin came along and created from this Valhalla a nation with rampant inequities in all aspects.?

How about 'reactionary'?

Maybe while you educate yourself you might want to check the definition of feudalism- and figure out how it legitimized. (or was in other places).

Maybe you should read the TV rules first - don't edit or snip other's posts.

If you read my previous post and know anything about Thailand's current crisis - you would know that the divisive issue is pro or anti Thaksin. The division of wealth is a separate issue (which I didn't address) & has indeed been with the country for decades (if not millenia) and has not changed under Thaksin.

Maybe you should educate YOURself and look up autocracy, Dictatorship and even how feudalism exists throughout Isan (as well as the rest of the country), Thaksin's power base.

Any poster that has to resort to stupid references to Mussolini or Benito or Fascism or terrorism (which anti-protestors do ad infinitum) - displays either an ignorance of the names/terms or ignorance of the current state of the social strata of Thailand. It's a complex set of issues that few, especially yourself, seem to understand.

• Like 2

More rubbish except for the last sentence which I agree with.

I'm no expert on US history, but didn't Nixon resign? This is precisely what the protestors want here - Yingluck to resign and take the rest of her clan away from their corrupt power.

Of course corruption has a long history in Thailand but it became quite open around 2004 and has got worse ever since. The country is now deeply divided and it is stupid to ignore who the divisive person (or clan) is.

Just to give a few examples - he changed the law more than once to ensure he was able to sell his companies (AIS & others) to Singtel. He intimidated the tax collectors to ensure that his clan paid no tax on shares brought into the country from offshore. He forced the EXIM bank to increase a loan to Myanmar so they could buy services from AIS (before he sold it).

These are unprecedented and illegal, not to mention corrupt, actions of a master criminal. Some of these are with the courts awaiting his return - which the amnesty attempted to overcome.

BTW if you think that a Baccalaureate somehow defines the quality of a Thai, you don't know what you're talking about. I rather suspect that the protestors know a dam_n site more than you do about Thai politics.

President Nixon resigned because otherwise he knew that that the Congress of the United States would have impeached him. (Look it up). The then Vice President would have and did become President. The USA and Western countries have a legal process for applying a rule of law in a civilized, democratically elected society. Thailand's rule of law seems to be whoever has the biggest gun, wins. Not quite the same thing I pose.

I have lived here a long time. 99.9% of the people are hard working, nice people who want what we all want but there is a culture of corruption here that permeates the entire society emanating from the top. The government, the military and the police seem to be all corrupt.

I read somewhere 75% of the Thai people think it is ok to bribe someone. Fine, I've bribed police officers myself for not wearing a helmut. One time I went to the police station and told them I didn't have 400 baht how about taking 100 baht? The guy took it and shook my hand. I mean this system is a joke. Why obey any laws if they aren't enforced and you can bribe your way out of the penalty?

If any rogue, disgruntled Thai citizen can simply march around the core city and disrupt everything because he is pissed off who is in power and declared a new government fine, if you have the almonds to do it, but don't get upset when the rest of the world chuckles. If that is the Thai way fine, but realized the Thai way is the highway to nowhere.

Thaksin may have been the most corrupt politician in history. Yet he was democratically elected. So does that mean all those who voted for him are total idiots? Were they all duped? Were they all bought off? If the answer is yes then I suggest long before Mr T came in to power the other power brokers kept the people illiterate and duped and paid off as well.

Because how could all those tens of thousands of intellectuals who own all those "Baccalaureate degrees" with all their intelligence have voted for such a corrupt individual in the first place? LOL

Where was the investigative media here? How could Thaksin change so many laws unless the entire government was also corrupt? And what did the previous governement do to the people that was so bad their guy didn't beat Thaksin at the polls? Must have been doing something that pissed off the other side. Corrupt governments everywhere want to keep the media at bay and the people illiterate. Most Thais I talk with tell me they don't like what goes on but feel powerless. They are afraid of the police and military.

I said it before whoever has the biggest guns wins everywhere. This guy, Suthep would have been arrested in a heartbeat in the West. The difference between the American Revolution and this Thai Revolution is that the American Revolution produced a true democracy with a rule of law and freedom of speech; this Thai Revolution seems to be just to replace one corrupt government for another.

Seems to me Thailand needs a complete blood transfusion. I don't know how that can happen here. It would take a "people's party" candidate I think who comes from no where. He would have to be either a complete idiot or a courageous individual but someone who all the people trusted. Good luck, Thailand.

• Like 2

Really? So you prefer your "lese majeste" laws over freedom of speech? Can you give me an example of someone in the USA who was jailed for an "opinion"? I doubt it. In the USA you can call ex President Bush a m..f..c...s....a... and you cannot get arrested for that. You can call any public politician any name you want and cannot sued for slander. Well, you could get sued but they can't win.

It's not perfect but I'll take it over anarchy any day.

• Like 1

No Government with out an effective opposition will ever do any good for a country

2 Major Parties in Parliment is called Democracy

1 Major Parties in Parliment is called Dictatorship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVjUsKSKUE#t=71

Singapore. No credible opposition, success story.

Malaysia, one party in power for as long as anyone can remembers, works.

Plenty of others.

My post was patronizing, pedantic and as you say, out of order. I do apologize Khunken

How about 'reactionary'?

Maybe you should read the TV rules first - don't edit or snip other's posts.

If you read my previous post and know anything about Thailand's current crisis - you would know that the divisive issue is pro or anti Thaksin. The division of wealth is a separate issue (which I didn't address) & has indeed been with the country for decades (if not millenia) and has not changed under Thaksin.

Maybe you should educate YOURself and look up autocracy, Dictatorship and even how feudalism exists throughout Isan (as well as the rest of the country), Thaksin's power base.

Any poster that has to resort to stupid references to Mussolini or Benito or Fascism or terrorism (which anti-protestors do ad infinitum) - displays either an ignorance of the names/terms or ignorance of the current state of the social strata of Thailand. It's a complex set of issues that few, especially yourself, seem to understand.

"He said the caretaker government is indifferent to possible violence during the election which may be eventually nullified."

Well this just goes to show that the ptp dont give a sh*t about anyone except themselves, they need the election so they can bring back big brother and screw the people, they dont care if any are kiiled as long as they get what they want. These idiots are low lifes and continually show it with their disregard for what the people want, the reds in here are just as bad, killings mean nothing to them as long as they get what their master tells them too.

Ummmmm....if the Suthep thugs were not interfering with the election, WHICH WAS DECREED TO TAKE PLACE ON FEB. 2 BY HIS MAJESTY THE KING, then there would be no question of violence, now, would there?