Meet halfway before country ends in utter failure: Thai politics

webfact

Compromise and consensus? Thais seem to be further away from that today than they have ever been. Increasingly entrenched views and hostility, without the same 'unifying force' that once brought all Thais together.

Sadly I think these divisions are set to worsen before they improve.

• Like 1

Actually the Democrats must participate in the next election, presuming this one happens, as the penalty for boycotting 2 elections in a row is dissolution.

If the election is nullified, then Pheua Thai must agree to join talks including all players about reform before the next election is held.

Their hands are cetainly tied as a caretaker government- they can't even sack the heads of the military. no wonder they want the election so badly!

"Reform" is easy, Shinawatras agree to step aside, election goes ahead, whatever version of PTP emerges wins the election. That would mean that Thaksin would have to admit defeat, and apparently he can't spell it. But it isn't going to happen because Thaksin hasn't finished reaping his vengeance on "the country he loves".

"Reform" is easy, Shinawatras agree to step aside, election goes ahead, whatever version of PTP emerges wins the election. That would mean that Thaksin would have to admit defeat, and apparently he can't spell it. But it isn't going to happen because Thaksin hasn't finished reaping his vengeance on "the country he loves".

But 80.6% of those polled by the Bangkok Post last weekend said they wanted the elections to go ahead as planned, prior to reforms. So the wishes of 4/5ths of the electorate should be ignored?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is fair comment. The government has of course, already offered to cancel the election as long as the Democrats agree to participate in the re-scheduled one and the PDRC agree not to disrupt it. The government has in fact, offered a number of compromises, none of which have been accepted by the PDRC.

They offered to delay the election not to cancel it, which was pointless since none of the protesters demands were met (ie. bugger off Shincorporated).

• Like 1

bangkok is sinking and taking the rest of thailand with it

Yes but itll sink last as thats where the money is so in theirs minds they will win, wont be much left but hey ho thats not a concern as long as they WIN ... just what i would ask when there is nothing left.

Reminds me of the idea that US general had for an atomic war ... blow the world up np but we have more nukes so we win crazy.gif

The root of the problem is probably caused by the long evolution of the Thai politic system. If both sides are unable to reach the agreements, then it must be due to that system failure. Honestly, I regret very much that most Thai people will face their most tough decision this Sunday. I know one thing for sure, they want peace, enjoying Thai food, supporting one another but not by means of through corruption. Hope the top-level people will respect that and not overlook people's essential basic living routines. Bless them. :ermm:

The root of the problem is probably caused by the long evolution of the Thai politic system. If both sides are unable to reach the agreements, then it must be due to that system failure. Honestly, I regret very much that most Thai people will face their most tough decision this Sunday. I know one thing for sure, they want peace, enjoying Thai food, supporting one another but not by means of through corruption. Hope the top-level people will respect that and not overlook people's essential basic living routines. Bless them. ermm.gif

Are you kidding? I think you speak for yourself and not the Thais. Thais are completely comfortable with corruption. As far as they are concerned it is part of Thai culture.

• Like 1

Some good comments here. It appears the government has been the only group in this impasse to offer any concessions, and as others have already pointed out, is an elected government. Suthep and his elite backers hold all the cards because the military would never touch them, nor will the courts. If the government sends in the police, the Thais system will hold them liable for any damage, death, or carnage.

Suthep realizes it's not how many people you know but who those few people are.

When the corrupt ones are rooted out of the Govt and the criminal in Dubai either returns to serve his time or gets out of politics .... this Govt can be taken seriously.

When you say corrupt ones you mean EVERYBODY, right, including that jackass Suthep.

I hate all this mealy mouthed 'meet half way', 'one side is as bad as the other' talk. There's no half way on democracy, in the same way that you can't be half pregnant. You either have an election or you don't. You either respect the will of the majority or you don't.

It's already clear what will happen after the election. The tiny but wealthy anti democratic minority will use their corrupt control of the courts and the election commission to try to invalidate the election. They don't respect the will of the majority and will leave Thailand without a government before they accept democracy. When that happens, the occupation of Bangkok that follows will show up Sutheps efforts for the pathetic little sideshow that they were.

Democracy isn't just elections.

Democracy isn't just about preventing people from voting.

• Like 1

Some good comments here. It appears the government has been the only group in this impasse to offer any concessions, and as others have already pointed out, is an elected government. Suthep and his elite backers hold all the cards because the military would never touch them, nor will the courts. If the government sends in the police, the Thais system will hold them liable for any damage, death, or carnage.

Suthep realizes it's not how many people you know but who those few people are.

When the corrupt ones are rooted out of the Govt and the criminal in Dubai either returns to serve his time or gets out of politics .... this Govt can be taken seriously.

When you say corrupt ones you mean EVERYBODY, right, including that jackass Suthep.

He is corrupt yes, most probably. Not on the scale as PTP (go speak to business owners who have had dealings with both and see which side always insists on a "cut"), but corrupt yes I expect.

Not just Suthep or PTP, the Governors, the police - it's deep rooted.

The problem here is PTP just have gone a little too far the last couple of years, some of the stories you hear, where they have completely shafted their own red shirt support for their own greed, is sickening. Anyone notice that the Amnesty Bill also covered from 2011 to now? Hmmm, what do they want to hide, I wonder.

Edited by Hawkman
  • Like 2

I hate all this mealy mouthed 'meet half way', 'one side is as bad as the other' talk. There's no half way on democracy, in the same way that you can't be half pregnant. You either have an election or you don't. You either respect the will of the majority or you don't.

It's already clear what will happen after the election. The tiny but wealthy anti democratic minority will use their corrupt control of the courts and the election commission to try to invalidate the election. They don't respect the will of the majority and will leave Thailand without a government before they accept democracy. When that happens, the occupation of Bangkok that follows will show up Sutheps efforts for the pathetic little sideshow that they were.

You want one side to 'follow the rules' while the other flagrantly breaks them? Some news for you - people don't work like that. This protest is a consequence of the wholesale in-your-face corruption of the government.

No corruption, no protest, no problem.

• Like 2

bangkok is sinking and taking the rest of thailand with it

Yes but itll sink last as thats where the money is so in theirs minds they will win, wont be much left but hey ho thats not a concern as long as they WIN ... just what i would ask when there is nothing left.

Reminds me of the idea that US general had for an atomic war ... blow the world up np but we have more nukes so we win crazy.gif

The Money

People in the North have had centuries of living off nothing and can do it much better than Bangkok Business people protesting in their coffee break. Suthep timed the march to arrive about lunch time as there would be nobody to meet it at any other time. Look at it now, streets deserted and once again, more staff and bodyguards and organisers than protesters..

They will see a return to extreme poverty if the Elites get back in, as they will need all the money of Thailand to replenish their coffers after staging this Judical coup and faux uprising

Meet half way, you are either a democracy or a fascist dictatorship serving Elite ends. No midde ground there however you try to intellectualise it.

Why would an elected Gov with a massive majority negotiate away democracy to these Conspirators? She has given far too much ground already

• Like 2

This is fair comment. The government has of course, already offered to cancel the election as long as the Democrats agree to participate in the re-scheduled one and the PDRC agree not to disrupt it. The government has in fact, offered a number of compromises, none of which have been accepted by the PDRC.

They offered to delay the election not to cancel it, which was pointless since none of the protesters demands were met (ie. bugger off Shincorporated).

Well that's curious, you seem to be at odds with your chosen one

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has reaffirmed that the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) did not reject the election, saying it should be postponed to open the way for political reform which could take at least a year or a year and a half to finish.

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/content/thai-protest-leader-says-elections-should-be-delayed-until-political-reforms-are-complete