Phuket-penang

steve w

Tigerbeer:

Yes. I agree absolutely that Penang and Phuket should always be linked by air or by sea. If you go back history, these 2 islands had had a very intimate relationship. Not surprisingly you can see many old building in downtown Phuket similar with those in George Town Penang. If fact many Chinese there also speak the type of Chinese Hokkien dialect as in Penang.

I suspect tourism competition and rivalry has something to do with the suspension of the flights that TG/MH used to operate same with Hatyai to Penang. Perhaps the Thais are smarter than the Malaysian that they effectively stopped the drain of tourists to Malaysia.

Why not email to AirAsia suggest them to start the route. I am sure they could have smelt this business opportunity.

Dekbannok

they should start a penang-phuket ferry route. or at least langkawi-phuket.

Tigerbeer:

Yes. I agree absolutely that Penang and Phuket should always be linked by air or by sea. If you go back history, these 2 islands had had a very intimate relationship. Not surprisingly you can see many old building in downtown Phuket similar with those in George Town Penang. If fact many Chinese there also speak the type of Chinese Hokkien dialect as in Penang.

I suspect tourism competition and rivalry has something to do with the suspension of the flights that TG/MH used to operate same with Hatyai to Penang. Perhaps the Thais are smarter than the Malaysian that they effectively stopped the drain of tourists to Malaysia.

Why not email to AirAsia suggest them to start the route. I am sure they could have smelt this business opportunity.

Dekbannok

they should start a penang-phuket ferry route. or at least langkawi-phuket.

Dekbannok, i was surprised when i visited phuket few years back. it was as though i was driving through the roads of penang. just like you i doubt there would be flights carried out between these two islands by either TH or MH. To protect national interests. airasia might give it a go but i hate to email anything to airasia. 4 emails and none of them ever replied. probably busy selling their food and drinks on board and making sure no one steals their life jackets.

Hi Nagasak-san:

No flight and no boat, the best way is to swim there!!!

Okay, let's see, you may not be a marathon swimmer. I will suggest you go by land if you have the time. It does not make sense to fly somewhere for a connecting flight. If you by land, taxi or coach or rent a car and drive yourself. You can stop along the way...and there are lots of beach resorts before you reach Satun.

Once you are in Satun, take the ferry to Langkawi. And when you tired of Langkawi take another ferry to Penang. Just that simple.

Enjoy your trip.

Dekbannok

so what is best (most convenient and quickest) way to get from Phuket to either langkawi and or Penang, i am thinking of vuisiting all 3 on my next Thai holiday, what does it cost and how long does it take

Hi Dekbannok

Thanks, does that mean that there is a direct coach service between Phuket and Satun, how long it takes and roughly how much, I should have enough time, dont really want to fly unless there is a real need, I will probabluy be travelling solo so that may negate the cost of a a taxi (especially if its a Phuket taxi!), presumably Satun is ferry point to Langkawi/Penang. My knowledge of Thailand down to Phuket is ok, been a few times, but South of that and into Malaysia is a bit hazy and my next holiday will be ideal time to explore

Hi Dekbannok

Thanks, does that mean that there is a direct coach service between Phuket and Satun, how long it takes and roughly how much, I should have enough time, dont really want to fly unless there is a real need, I will probabluy be travelling solo so that may negate the cost of a a taxi (especially if its a Phuket taxi!), presumably Satun is ferry point to Langkawi/Penang. My knowledge of Thailand down to Phuket is ok, been a few times, but South of that and into Malaysia is a bit hazy and my next holiday will be ideal time to explore

i think u would need to get by bus from phuket to haadyai and then bus to satun.

Hi Nagasaki:

Tigerbeer is right that there are bus/coach service from Phuket to Hatyai and from Hatyai you can get o Satun again by bus/coach. If you find bus service travelling along the coast from Phuket all the way to Pak Bara. This is where you can also get a boat to some very beautiful island in the Tarutao national park. I went to a small island called Bulon 12 years ago and it was absolutely stunning. But I heard the corals have been destroyed. But you go to Koh Lipe.

There is ferry to langkawi (operated by Malaysia) from Satun. Also regular ferry services from Langkawi to Penang.

Good luck,

Dekbannok

Hi Dekbannok