Red shirts in Chiang Mai in favour of new capital in case of coup

webfact

Thinking with my wallet split rather my heart it occurs to me that the new Northern Thai Republic - working title Lannaland splits off - the Lanna baht floats at half the Bangkok baht - northern Thais remain welcome and open to good hearted farangs (no more Pattaya in this mix) - all of a sudden our hard earned pounds or dollars are back at their old rates. Net result our retirement incomes are suddenly doubled with the benefit of cool winters. I'm in if there is little bloodshed and a quick return to order and business as usual.

Are you Swiss by any chance?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody but a mere handful of fanatics is going to die for the Shins. The north and even the northeast have seen the improvement materially of many people's lives over the past 20 years. Now, those people actually have something to lose. And people with something to lose don't go into civil wars in order to put a single individual in the role of Red Dictator.

You set off so well there.

People have seen their lives improve so much during this time, but you failed to make the connection that during this time it was Thaksin who brought this about and it would not have happened without him. Talk about blinkered.

You'd still have me Chuan and his fawning dems, spending money on BKK elites and the army.

A peoples Council of Sutheps puts all these improvements in doubt.

Then Thaksin = dictator but dictator and poodles council is not dictator. ? You guys really need to think before you post

It is this wolly thinking and belief in the propaganda of the yellows that has got the country to this stage.

You post with far too much venom. I have made this same argument on this board many times in the past about the relative material wellbeing of people in the north and northeast. Of course, you just came onto to TV a couple of weeks ago, in order to spout your propaganda--and have no interest in the institutional memory of this board or its long time posters. And, yes, I have also said many times that, paradoxically, Thaksin just may be the victim of his own policies. He did make improvements in peoples lives where they had absolutely nothing before. You see, I'm not an ideological or political fanatic who only posts here to inflame passions and gloat over the prospect of many Thai people losing their lives. But the truth is that a lot of people in the North enjoy a night with Thai soap operas, watching soccer, drinking a little whisky, and gambling on holidays (or weekends or whenever). A lot of them are much happier and they aren't going to die for the Shins. And, no, I don't hate, dislike, or ridicule people in the North or even all the Red Shirts. I have some in the family, and I want them to prosper and have a good life. I also have people in the family on the other side of the political divide. I want the same thing for them. Too many bloodthirsty people on this board urging war, terrorism, and gloating over murders.

• Like 2

Chiangmai was the centre of the Lanna Thai Kingdom from about the 1290s until the 19th century, after defeating the Mon Kingdom of Haripunchai (Lamphun). Part of that time they were loyal to Burma. The greatest achievements of Lanna were under the rule of Tilokarat who extended Lanna into the Shan States of Burma, current day Laos and southern China. Phitsanuloke was sometimes an ally in the wars vs. Ayutthaya.

So it has been done before and there are members of the old Chiang Mai royal family about.

However, it has no viable military strength; therefore, it will not happen.

Edited by metisdead
Font color reset to black.

Whilst TV likes to follow closely the bastion of un biased press that is the Nation, I thought Id bring up an article from another Newspaper to give the same viewpoint.

http://www.economist...way-ill-go-mine

They have been saying this for some time - http://www.economist...olitical-crisis

It would make an interesting situation to see how the respective countries would perform. Would Issan for example continue to massively outstrip Bangkok in its growth figures after the plug of Bangkok help is pulled? Would foreign aid and support continue to pour into what was an effective dictatorship in the new Southern Thailand state? Would ASEAN plans be placed on hold? Would the baht collapse and what currency would they both have? Too many questions.

I`m personally not convinced the scenario will ever happen and we`ll get to find out.

First of all its important to note that culturally Thailand has always been divided and a mismatch of ethnic groups. However, this split wouldnt be along those lines and Lao speaking Issan would be joined with the Thai speaking North. It isnt a natural collaboration and most in Issan would see Korat or the likes of Udon as their natural successor capital city rather than the distant Chiang Mai most have never set foot in.

Secondly the article fails to mention the powerful unifying nature of the monarchy in Thailand. I am limited in what i can say here but suffice to say that all over the Nation Thais would hate to break away from their King.

Thirdly another omission is the growing discontent in Northern areas with the government over failed rice payments and the amnesty bill. The Thaskin bond isnt as unbreakable as they lead you to believe. I still think (and hope) and unifying middle ground will emerge and clean up and rid the country of its Abshits, Sutheps, Thaskin and Yinglucks.

Lastly the article fails to mention that the Muslim South of Thailand would see any such break away as their big chance for freedom. The new Southern Thai state would be plunged into yet more violence and likely be split further.

Whatever will pan out I think now is crunch time and in 2 weeks time all will be clear. Sit back and enjoy the ride. (or bombs more likely)

Since when does the North speak Thai? Because some people in Chiang Mai speak Thai?

Pasa Nuea spoken in the north is much closer to Eesan / Lao than Thai - If I watch Lao TV I can easily understand about 50-60 % being used to listen to Northern Thai - it is quite similar.

"Secondly the article fails to mention the powerful unifying nature of the monarchy in Thailand' I am limited in what i can say here but suffice to say that all over the Nation Thais would hate to break away from their King - you should not assume and bring up subjects which can not be discussed here!

There has long been talk of establishing a government in exile in Chiang Mai if a coup should happen again and the international community would not have much choice than to support this government - for sure China would be the first to support it!

Not Yellow, not Red....I am more in favor of an Orange country......With a monk for President...At least the "donations" will have logic explanation, nobody will talk about corruption anymore, and everybody will live blessed and in peace.

As long as it's not the one who sleeps with underage girls, flies around in his private jet, carrying a suitcase full of money?

Edited by alphaflight

RED SHIRT REBEL YELL: THE NORTH SHALL RISE AGAIN

PROPOSED ANTHEM: (THE NORTH IS RED)

TUNE: DIXIE

I'm glad to be in the Land of Lanna

Greatest place in Sipsongpanna

Look away, Look away, Look away, Lanna Land

In Old Chiangmai where I was born

On a smoky April morning

But I'll stay, yes I'll stay, right here in Lanna Land

Here we love our eatin' and kissin'

And you're welcome, friends from Issan

Yingluck, she looks mighty pretty

We like KaoSoi in Chiangmai City

Every day, every day, every day in Lanna Land

Bangkok's flooding like a fountain

But here Suthep is just a mountain

Breakaway, Breakaway, Breakaway Lanna Land

Well, we're pleased to be in Lanna

Hooray, Hooray

In Lanna Land, we'll take our stand

To live or die in Lanna

Away, away, away up north in Lanna

Don't give up your day job. cheesy.gif

RED SHIRT REBEL YELL: THE NORTH SHALL RISE AGAIN

PROPOSED ANTHEM: (THE NORTH IS RED)

TUNE: DIXIE

I'm glad to be in the Land of Lanna

Greatest place in Sipsongpanna

In Old Chiangmai where I was born

On a smoky April morning

But I'll stay, yes I'll stay, right here in Lanna Land

Here we love our eatin' and kissin'

And you're welcome, friends from Issan

Yingluck, she looks mighty pretty

We like KaoSoi in Chiangmai City

Every day, every day, every day in Lanna Land

Bangkok's flooding like a fountain

But here Suthep is just a mountain

Breakaway, Breakaway, Breakaway Lanna Land

Well, we're pleased to be in Lanna

Hooray, Hooray

In Lanna Land, we'll take our stand

To live or die in Lanna

Away, away, away up north in Lanna

Don't give up your day job.cheesy.gif

Great idea, I think!

Once they're landlocked I wonder how they will get products, etc. delivered.

But they can try selling their rice 40% above market value. Any industry that produced would likely move to "South Thailand" (if there is North & South Thailand as the new states) where the minimum wage would probably be reversed to a level that reflects the actual qualification of workers.

Wonder how they will finance this new country then! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

land locked countries get a certificate of preference meaning the exporters pay less tax and in some cases none in to the importing country

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif This is too funny. If you are in Chiang Mai, you know how few red shirts have been at their command center, in the past week (probably less then 30 in total, most of the time only 3 or 4). They have not been getting paid. No money no honey. Thaksin should know that.

That BTW is also the main reason, a large number of Suthep supporters are showing up, in Bangkok.

He and his cronies do have the money to buy a following !

Everybody seems to know where Taksin's money comes from but where does Suthep's money come from ?

"We are not afraid. All the red groups will unite. We are willing to sacrifice our lives," said Kawang, president of the alumni association of Yupparaj school in Chiang Mai where Yingluck was once a student.

Nice to hear, so after you all scarified your lives, there will not be any unemployment in the country, great news…..

You mean to say they actually have a school for village idiots in Chiang Mai ? Amazing Thailand indeed !

• Like 1

If the impossible happened and there was a "war" between the redshirts and the Army the result would be an overwhelming victory to the Army and the average IQ level of Thailand rising by about 50 points ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif This is too funny. If you are in Chiang Mai, you know how few red shirts have been at their command center, in the past week (probably less then 30 in total, most of the time only 3 or 4). They have not been getting paid. No money no honey. Thaksin should know that.

That BTW is also the main reason, a large number of Suthep supporters are showing up, in Bangkok.

He and his cronies do have the money to buy a following !

Everybody seems to know where Taksin's money comes from but where does Suthep's money come from ?

Where does suthep's money come from? well is it really Sutheps money? Or is it funds to support a reform cause? And let's say it again; yes, suthep has baggage, and yes many folks are willing to put that to the side temporarily to hopefully see reforms, before the next elections.

Perhaps you haven't been watching Thai TV and/or you haven't been noticing the numerous photos and video clips of your ordinary Thai folks: rich / poor / Bkk born / upcountry born, educated and not educated, professional people and folks on minimum wages, etc etc are the mainstay of sutheps reform group and they contribute enormous amounts of cash, day by day - you can see it being dropped in the collection bag.

Is this too difficult to comprehend?

On the other hand perhaps the DSI are photographing the numbers on the currency notes so that they can charge the contributors who in reality by the Thai constitution have a right to protest.

• Like 1

So much of the smuggling that happens goes on through BKK. Now, they could only charge their own people for that. Beer Singha, Central, etc.. No more money from the North. The north will still have the same market for their products, that won't change. The side that would win here would be the side that runs the cleanest gov't. I don't see a case for either winning that. But the interesting thing to think of there is that there would be a different challenger to the current reds , and yellows in their respective locations.

Good plan. Why not? The hazard of protesters is mainly Bangkok based. Split it up and move the financial-, governmental hub. The invitations to have negotiation talks were launched enough and all rejected. A new reformed Thailand without Bangkok. Sounds as a solid plan.

• Like 1

Well fine yes, but if the govt offices, internet hubs, ports, airport, oil refineries are all out of your control, they would run out of money in a week. Didn't think of that one did you, mmm, and you get upset when people call you buffaloes!

Can you imagine the investment opportunities to built all that?

Modern one-stop government centers are already in place built by TRT in Chiang Mai, Udon, Korat and other major cities - students from 8 different Northern provinces are already studying in Chiang Mai's universities - in the meantime China to the North and Cambodia to the East would be more than happy to help out as getaways - there are already more direct flights to China from Chiang Mai Airport on 5 different airlines than to any other country.

It's not impossible to do - the investment opportunities are endless!

And one more thing - not sure if you are new here? Always remember NEVER insult anybody in Thailand and call them a kwai or "buffalo" - unless you want to have your head smashed in?

well let's look at that:

- Yes it was true that, Overall, CM universities had a good 'image'. Check Again and please tell me honestly whether this is still true. I might add, I'm involved - it's no longer true.

- As a much smaller point, tell me how many CM universities run parallel Thai and English language courses - I can give you a specific answer - it's very close to zero.

Ohh.... "And one more thing - not sure if you are new here? Always remember NEVER insult anybody in Thailand and call them a kwai or "buffalo" - unless you want to have your head smashed in?"

Is that a threat or it is intimidation? Not really the way forward is it?

- Students from 8 provinces. So what?

• Like 1

If the impossible happened and there was a "war" between the redshirts and the Army the result would be an overwhelming victory to the Army and the average IQ level of Thailand rising by about 50 points ! clap2.gif

They won't be a war between the RS and the Army. It will be a war of liberation. The military is not United either. Heavy war weapons may kill the body but not the spirit of the people. Vietnam is but just one example. The Army is most welcome with their tanks etc.

Send from my Mobile

Think twice Red shirts! Yingluck might not have THB 780,000,000,000 to spend anymore on populist policies...

In the case of a coup, I suspect Yingluck and the Shinawatra billions will have relocated to a place much further away than Ch Mai. Probably already started the transfers.

I wonder who is planting this idea in the minds of the CM Red 51 group. Did it come from the rank and file? Obviously not.

So where is it coming from?

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST

Red shirts in Chiang Mai in favour of new capital in case of coup

South china at a guess..... its just propaganda rubbish intended to have a further destabilising effect, judging by the 11 pages here not a bad effort either. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The friendliest people, the prettiest girls and a better quality expat live in the North and North East. Foreign investment would be relocate there due to the low risk of flooding and good communications with Lao. Already many companies are moving to Khon Kaen and the Chinese are buying land like like it was going out of fashion. Without the racist Democrats (ha ha) a better relationship would be forged with Cambodia. The North and North East would retain its land of smiles. The South would be run by corrupt nationalists, where everyone is fighting to get to the trough.

utter crap...stick to the real world this aint hogwarts..w00t.gif

Mr Yim, how can the Chinese buy land? I thought only Thais can own land in Thailand.

Edited by nong38

Well fine yes, but if the govt offices, internet hubs, ports, airport, oil refineries are all out of your control, they would run out of money in a week. Didn't think of that one did you, mmm, and you get upset when people call you buffaloes!

Can you imagine the investment opportunities to built all that?

Modern one-stop government centers are already in place built by TRT in Chiang Mai, Udon, Korat and other major cities - students from 8 different Northern provinces are already studying in Chiang Mai's universities - in the meantime China to the North and Cambodia to the East would be more than happy to help out as getaways - there are already more direct flights to China from Chiang Mai Airport on 5 different airlines than to any other country.

It's not impossible to do - the investment opportunities are endless!

And one more thing - not sure if you are new here? Always remember NEVER insult anybody in Thailand and call them a kwai or "buffalo" - unless you want to have your head smashed in?

From a geographical point of view I would prefer to have Chonburi as the New Capital. Close to succesful port town Laem Chabang and easy to make a BTS link vice versa. The highway is going around Bangkok already so that shouldn't be a point. Except who gets the toll. Suvarnabhumi is well located to serve all serious domestic cities. Don Muang for Bangkok alias 'Monaco'. Chiang Mai however had lot of successful industry and more historical background. Like self made no nonsense business men/women/tycoons. So it deserves that title. Thailand has had to give chunks of land away to save the peace and future. Stripe away Bangkok is a very productive improvement. They can take of themselves with a forceful 8nstalled 'temporary' regime.

The friendliest people, the prettiest girls and a better quality expat live in the North and North East. Foreign investment would be relocate there due to the low risk of flooding and good communications with Lao. Already many companies are moving to Khon Kaen and the Chinese are buying land like like it was going out of fashion. Without the racist Democrats (ha ha) a better relationship would be forged with Cambodia. The North and North East would retain its land of smiles. The South would be run by corrupt nationalists, where everyone is fighting to get to the trough.

Mr Yim, how can the Chinese buy land? I thought only Thais can own land in Thailand.

That might change in "Northern Thailand" - would be a clever move - there are billions to be made!

Only in the South and the Bangkok elite seem to have a problem with that - it seems that all the valuable land in the south goes to Suthep and his cronies - as the Democrats can attest - I mean the man brought down his own last elected Democrat government! smile.png

• Like 1

Well the simple answer is the Chinese CAN'T buy land in Thailand directly. They do the same as the rest of us...use Thai nationals as proxies, use Thai companies to buy land or purchase land inside industrial estates that foreigners are entitled to buy.