Red shirts in Chiang Mai in favour of new capital in case of coup

webfact

"It is likely the government will move to Chiang Mai. We can defeat tanks because we have the numbers," Kawang added.

How do propose to defeat the fighter jets, attack helicopters, and bombers?

How many red shirts are in the military [army, navy, air force]?

Will they attack their own people or allow them to be attacked?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is focusing on the silly 'Chiang Mai as the capital' quote and missing the point of if there is a coup, will the PM and her cabinet flee to Chiang Mai and try to maintain a government in internal exile.

First thing the army will do is try to put all the key Pheua Thai players under house or army camp arrest.

Thailand will never split in 2. If it goes it will split in more than 2 parts.

Isaan and Lanna will never want to be in one country together. They are totally different culturally. So we have a 3 way split there already.

Then how long do you think the Northern Lao Isaannites will want to stay together with the Southern Khmer Isaannites? There is no love lost between them either. So we have a 4 way split then.

Now the Muslim deep south will want to go as well then. So we have a 5 way split already.

And then we have 2 more possible, but less likely split off's.

The province of Nan wasn't fully incorperated into Thailand until the 20th century and its royal family abolished until the thirties of the 20th century.

Nakhon Si Thammarat has historically been the kingdom dominating the south.

So if worst comes to worst we might end up with a 7 way split.

Funny how 1 foreigner knows already how exactly Thailand will be split up.

• Like 1

"It is likely the government will move to Chiang Mai. We can defeat tanks because we have the numbers," Kawang added.

Watermelon s

Didn't Thaksin have some lunatic plan to barter chickens for fighter jets? They can set up their own air force no problem.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif:cheesy:clap2.gif This is too funny. If you are in Chiang Mai, you know how few red shirts have been at their command center, in the past week (probably less then 30 in total, most of the time only 3 or 4). They have not been getting paid. No money no honey. Thaksin should know that.

The redshirts are mainly poor working people, how do you expect them to attend rallies?

Should they just desert their jobs and farms?

9/10 people in CM support the redshirts.

99/100 in the more rural areas.

Sure, hand over your Thai ID, passports, and pay up your part of the debt first...

I remember when the Quebec separatist referendum almost passed in 1995. Once of the Canadian federal government's points was that if you leave, you owe us money for everything we spent in in the province over the years. Bridges, roads etc.

Owe them? Questionable. And in any case, how do you make them pay.

I'm not sure? based on last years results?

All the posts I have read in many of the forums covering the current political situation have got me wondering.........? How many of the TV posters have carried over their political leaning from their home country to their take on Thai politics. Left leaning supporting the red shirts and their perceived support of the working classes or right leaning supporting going the other way. It would be very interesting to know. I'm willing to start and say that my politics are very right wing and I have no time at all for Thaksin and his red shirt army. What about everyone else.?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif This is too funny. If you are in Chiang Mai, you know how few red shirts have been at their command center, in the past week (probably less then 30 in total, most of the time only 3 or 4). They have not been getting paid. No money no honey. Thaksin should know that.

Why would the red shirts need to come out? They are not protesting against anything.

You are in Chiang Mai (apparently) but dont know yourself how red your own backyard is. How sad.

This Thread has had so many views and responses in such a short time ..... Definetly a lot of strong opinions here!! ... It also shows how many posters do live in the North Region of Thailand ......... But I am amazed how some posters actualy think that a divided Thailand is a good thing ???... Each to our own I guess ... this is a public forum after all .... ........ as you where ...... coffee1.gif

The redshirts are mainly poor working people, how do you expect them to attend rallies?

Should they just desert their jobs and farms?

9/10 people in CM support the redshirts.

99/100 in the more rural areas.

They did a pretty good job of holding Bangkok hostage for over 2 months in 2010. I guess that's when Thaksin was paying them though. Maybe he needs to break out his wallet again.

Actually it might be a good idea. The reds can split Chiang Mei and the surrounding areas off from Thailand and set up ShinatwatraLand with Thaksin as King (or more likely Dictator).

But the kicker is, how will they finance their new country? Does anyone really think that Thaksin would dig deep (very deep) into his pockets to finance this. Highly unlikely.

So just more hot air from another brainless red.

time to stop all the BS...t

We all know the manufactures are in Thailand for cheap labour

It would cost very little to move manufacturing to the North if the wages there where cheaper than Bkk

the rice wholesalers in Bkk still need rice so they would still purchase from the north

As most of the happy girls come from Issan, Pattaya would close and a new fun town would open in the North

More girls as closer to home and they can come home when they want

Scenery wise the north has more to offer than the south, which only has beaches

so don''t put the north down

Best part would be that it would be easier to get a visa to western countries as the poor North Thai girls would be on their own passports

and the main problem to get a visa is the north girl are a high risk of not returning to Thailand when the visa finishes

I give my vote

• Like 1

Watermelon s

Didn't Thaksin have some lunatic plan to barter chickens for fighter jets? They can set up their own air force no problem.

As the democraticly elected government in Chang Mai, PTP would have the support of the international community, including the USA, & nearby China. No doubt a number of countries could provide military support for the YL Group against an illegal coup attempt.

All the posts I have read in many of the forums covering the current political situation have got me wondering.........? How many of the TV posters have carried over their political leaning from their home country to their take on Thai politics. Left leaning supporting the red shirts and their perceived support of the working classes or right leaning supporting going the other way. It would be very interesting to know. I'm willing to start and say that my politics are very right wing and I have no time at all for Thaksin and his red shirt army. What about everyone else.?

I support the right to vote. What does that make me?

Nobody but a mere handful of fanatics is going to die for the Shins. The north and even the northeast have seen the improvement materially of many people's lives over the past 20 years. Now, those people actually have something to lose. And people with something to lose don't go into civil wars in order to put a single individual in the role of Red Dictator.

The point of the post wasn't to make anybody anything but to ask if your political persuasion in your home country influenced you politics in Thailand. I also support the right of everyone to vote but everyone knows that vote buying by both sides is rampant in Thailand. However it is hard to justify the current tactics of the demonstrators, a tactical error me thinks?

The whole idea of this is ridiculous anyway. On a serious note; If things do get to this point; the result would have other countries involved, and taking sides; the outcome would probably be bad for everyone involved.........

Edited by alphaflight

No problem as long as none of the tax I pay goes to fund them up there. We'll then see how long the local rice farmers can sustain them without the support of the oh so hated middle class and elite.

Actually Bangkok does not 'support' the northeast with public expenditures if that's what you mean. According to the World Bank, it is the other way round. Bangkok takes far more of the general public expenditures than is its fair share based on either its population or GDP, and the northeast takes far less.
I stand corrected then and they have my full support and blessings.
IMO, it does not matter who is supporting who when we have to go into 'a civil war'. A healthy economy is one that supporting and complementing one another.

Send from my Mobile

• Like 1

" The Post quoted Supon, a former policeman as saying "The majority of redshirts really like the idea of a separate state. If they stage a coup, we can live without Bangkok."

Yeah right. Then you will end up like other land locked metropolis' such as Loas, Afghanistan, South Sudan etc etc wink.png

Don't forget Switzerland coffee1.gif

Corrupt bankers - yes, see the connection thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I agree with you; The Democrats have done nothing to help their cause; they've done more damage if anything.......

Think twice Red shirts! Yingluck might not have THB 780,000,000,000 to spend anymore on populist policies...

Yes, the north would be more like Laos and Burma without Bangkok and the south. But if that's what they want, why not. Both side should happy. Other countries have split amicably. e.g. Czech & Slovakia.

North and South Korea come to mind.. rolleyes.gif

Nobody but a mere handful of fanatics is going to die for the Shins. The north and even the northeast have seen the improvement materially of many people's lives over the past 20 years. Now, those people actually have something to lose. And people with something to lose don't go into civil wars in order to put a single individual in the role of Red Dictator.

You set off so well there.

People have seen their lives improve so much during this time, but you failed to make the connection that during this time it was Thaksin who brought this about and it would not have happened without him. Talk about blinkered.

You'd still have me Chuan and his fawning dems, spending money on BKK elites and the army.

A peoples Council of Sutheps puts all these improvements in doubt.

Then Thaksin = dictator but dictator and poodles council is not dictator. ? You guys really need to think before you post

It is this wolly thinking and belief in the propaganda of the yellows that has got the country to this stage.

The whole idea of this is ridiculous anyway; If things do get to this point; the result would have other countries involved, and taking sides; the outcome would probably be bad for anyone.........

I doubt the Thai army would have the balls to take the fight to "red country".

No doubt the North can see many advantages to being an independent state from BKK, as opposed to being sucked dry by its old elites, called monkeys & having their vote negated.

Thinking with my wallet split rather my heart it occurs to me that the new Northern Thai Republic - working title Lannaland splits off - the Lanna baht floats at half the Bangkok baht - northern Thais remain welcome and open to good hearted farangs (no more Pattaya in this mix) - all of a sudden our hard earned pounds or dollars are back at their old rates. Net result our retirement incomes are suddenly doubled with the benefit of cool winters. I'm in if there is little bloodshed and a quick return to order and business as usual.

Not Yellow, not Red....I am more in favor of an Orange country......With a monk for President...At least the "donations" will have logic explanation, nobody will talk about corruption anymore, and everybody will live blessed and in peace.

Edited by umbanda

The friendliest people, the prettiest girls and a better quality expat live in the North and North East. Foreign investment would be relocate there due to the low risk of flooding and good communications with Lao. Already many companies are moving to Khon Kaen and the Chinese are buying land like like it was going out of fashion. Without the racist Democrats (ha ha) a better relationship would be forged with Cambodia. The North and North East would retain its land of smiles. The South would be run by corrupt nationalists, where everyone is fighting to get to the trough.

'Better quality expats' Like all the ones lurking outside the crack-whore shacks. And most of the expats in Bangkok have jobs too.

To the Northeast, the spoils'

Economic Review

Thai manufacturers such as CP All Plc, Thai Beverage Plc and Siam Cement,plus foreign firms with Thai plants such as Panasonic Corp, Kraft Foods Group Inc and Fraser and Neave Ltd are gravitating towards the Northeast." If you look at all corporations- every single large-cap out there-they don't talk about Bangkok anymore. They talk about provincials," said Patrick Chang, head of Asean equity for BNP Paribas Investment Partners." The sexy stuff is the provincial urbanisation and the way it impacts consumption"

Well from the above it indicates that the Bangkok Elite are scared really scared of losing their grip in Thailand.

The floods have shown how vulnerable Bangkok is as a Capital City, talk was floated around forgive the pun of Korat or Khon Kaen being the next Capital.

So the Reds have a point but for a different reason not just the stronghold connection

Independence is a fairly difficult road to plan out but a civilised referendum is out of the box for the moment due to the moody guards.

Tough times ahead with the really big question on every one's mind where is the true allegiance going to lie in the coming years

Some very sound points there,Gerry, maybe if a few of the more idiotic and vile would-be-hi-so Bangkok posters were to open their eyes and look beyond the shallow tinsel of Bkk they would be less inclined to sneer at the citizens of the new North Thailand. I believe it would be hard to find a more corrupt civil administration of any city in Thailand than the BMA.

Do look at that map of the 2011 election result. N.Thailand would encompass the entire North and East of Thailand, right down to the industrial seaboard. Nothing landlocked at all about that, quite the opposite in fact, Bangkok will be isolated in its little enclave of slowly subsiding squalor, and do you think you'll ever going to be able to get away with flooding N, Thailand for months just to save your shopping malls and the laughable CBD.

No, the future would be pretty grim for the poor sods in S. Thailand. Ruled by the glorious amart, denied the basics of democracy by petty warlord famillies such as Sutheps clan, with an endless civil war rumbling away in the Deep South!

Sadly, some day soon the inevitable will happen, and I believe it will dim the fervour with which the rest of the population now bow down to Bangkok. The elite know this too, and they know they have a very short time left to destroy PTP if they are to ever to regain their iron grip on this fair country.

The elite the amarts pppfff, anyhow. Only cities that have a port nearby have the potential to be successful. Especially in export oriented Thailand.

Producing goods in Chiangmai and send them by train/truck to the ports in either Sattahip, LCB or Bangkok. Yeaah that will work. Keep on dreaming. Fact is that most tax is paid by companies and people in Democrat strongholds.

A port is not IMHO a pre-eminent prerequisite Zurich,Berlin,Chegdu,KL,Delhi,Dallas-Fort Worth,Denver all seem to rub along as do both Birminghams and Atlanta.

Good communications are the key.