Video: Thailand is spiraling out of control

Jonathan Fairfield

I thought Thaksin had the support in Isaan, not Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Mai?

Yes the family is from Chiang Mai - but Nakhon Sawan no I wouldn't think so too...

5:07 Now THAT is scary... And again makes other allegations about intimidation of the ricefarmers all that more trustworthy...

With the 2011 elections Pheu Thai gained support of nearly all the rice-growing provinces exactly because of the promised rice-subsidy.

attachicon.gif2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

It is far too simplistic to attribute the Pheu Thai vote to one issue. The rice-growing areas of the south did not vote for them, for example, and analysis of voting intentions shows that reasons for voting Pheu Thai were many and varied. It is also worth noting that voters vote once for the party list (virtually a nationwide vote for a party) and once for their constituency. It seems that an increasing number of voters have been choosing one party on the party list and another for the constituency. Note, by the way, that Phichit, the site of the suicide reported by Channel 4, did not vote for Pheu Thai in the last election.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clip 3:45.

The farmer's wife claim her husband have no money to buy fertilizer.

Goodness me. Large house, lots of space, teak door, and even tiled floor.

How many farmers in Thailand have tiled floor before Thaksin?

Probably most will have had...or teak wood floors ...

unless they are / were subsistence farmers. In which case they are not much better off.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Thailand is spiraling out of control"

It should read, Thailand has spiralled out of control!

Thailand has had plenty of rough patches in the past and while the Suthep plot has taken the county to new lows, it will come back from this: no chance of the country splitting. Sensible people in the opposition are already talking compromise and even Khun Abhisit is moving in the right direction now. Yingluck deserves a vote of gratitude for holding things together in extremely trying circumstances ...sure, she's not perfect but has done a great job under extreme pressure. Whatever....Thailand will survive this and become better and stronger in the end

If doing nothing is a great job...then yes... great job from the golfer.

Yes the family is from Chiang Mai - but Nakhon Sawan no I wouldn't think so too...

5:07 Now THAT is scary... And again makes other allegations about intimidation of the ricefarmers all that more trustworthy...

With the 2011 elections Pheu Thai gained support of nearly all the rice-growing provinces exactly because of the promised rice-subsidy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

It is far too simplistic to attribute the Pheu Thai vote to one issue. The rice-growing areas of the south did not vote for them, for example, and analysis of voting intentions shows that reasons for voting Pheu Thai were many and varied. It is also worth noting that voters vote once for the party list (virtually a nationwide vote for a party) and once for their constituency. It seems that an increasing number of voters have been choosing one party on the party list and another for the constituency. Note, by the way, that Phichit, the site of the suicide reported by Channel 4, did not vote for Pheu Thai in the last election.

Note ... that particular farmer may have done!

split in 2... well, would it be all that bad? tax payers money would not be waisted anymore to riceberg scams ? no need for high speed whatever that only a few people would use because it would be either to expensive or to dangerous (maintenance , do they know that word in thai ?)

the north can sell rice to the rest of the country, after inspection if no too much pesticides, herbicides, ... at international market prices

but i guess to many hi-so own vast amouns of land everywhere in the country, so this will not happen and day soon

throw in the army again ?

bangkok has police and does.... nothing, except collect their bribes

I think it's good to see more than a 5 second headline read on CNN about what is happening here in the international media.

However, this piece makes it look like Bangkok is a war zone, and even though people have been injured and killed, people are not running down the streets to the sound of gunfire here. They made it sound like "it's so bad in Bangkok we can't get the story there so we are going to go to the north to try to tell you what's happening."

It does give some background, but it isn't very balanced and it fails to offer enough info on both sides for people to understand WHY this is happening.

As I keep saying, WHY it happened is usually much more important than WHAThappened.

In any case, I'm hoping for an uneventful weekend... and a calming of tensions.

Jai Yen Thailand.

So, who's planning to leave Thailand. I already have a Plan B. Will probably leave for a while anyway, as it's just getting worse and worse and could explode at any time. I don't want to be around when that happens.

If you left, where would you go. My next choice has always been Phnom Penh, but that seems to be going the same way.

Malaysia maybe or Europe for a while. Oh, hang on, there's a civil war about to start there as well.

Vietnam ? you can stay there now on long visa ( that was unthinkable 20 years ago )

Ah ah uh uh I think you have to ask for the army.

Oh Yingluck! clap2.gif

I wouldn't be blaming YL for that comment. She is very astute.

Of course she is - and you know astute when you see it dont you?

Oh my dsylexia... I thought he said her ass was cute. GEEZE.

MacWalen, on 30 Jan 2014 - 21:40, said:

Hopefully it doesn't split in two.

It has been split in two a long time ago, and the butcher's name that cut Thailand in two is Thaksin Siwanatra.

He just made a division visible that was there already.

"Thailand is spiraling out of control"

It should read, Thailand has spiralled out of control!

Thailand has had plenty of rough patches in the past and while the Suthep plot has taken the county to new lows, it will come back from this: no chance of the country splitting. Sensible people in the opposition are already talking compromise and even Khun Abhisit is moving in the right direction now. Yingluck deserves a vote of gratitude for holding things together in extremely trying circumstances ...sure, she's not perfect but has done a great job under extreme pressure. Whatever....Thailand will survive this and become better and stronger in the end

First she was the one that refused to quash the amnesty bill?

What's your answer to that?

She introduced the bill in the first place knowing that it would cause huge problems. Knowing what we now know would you say she brought these trying circumstances(as you call it) on her self, would you not agree?

Did people give her a reasonable chance to prove she was independent of her brother? Yes they did

How did she hold things together? By refusing to listen and bringing the amnesty to the floor anyway.

Do you know the human rights record of her brother?

Do you not agree that her brother is really in control?

How can you then call that an honest democratic election, when the person elected Is not making the decisions, answer that one ?

When quite clearly the Thai people voted Yingluck into power not her brother do you not agree that this is fraud?

Is that not fraud? Therefore how can you keep saying she is a rightfully elected leader?

Your points that you keep making are weird and very strange, just imagine the president of the United States was not really in control and everyone new his gangster brother was the head cheese. How quickly would other nations loose respect for your supposed democratic system. Fraud is Fraud plain and simple.

Keep dreaming of Cuba comrade

Edited by asiamint

The Dems have really blown it. They got what they needed when new elections were called. They would have had a real shot at winning this election. Their best shot in many years. All they needed to do was to lean on the emotions surrounding the rice scandal and much of the red support would evaporate.

But this is Thailand and all they know is protest and coup. The democratic process never has a chance.

Thailand will not split in two, unless the farmers get paid.

Too much red hatred of Apisit, misplaced in my view, but that's their perception, for the Democrats to win under the current leadership. They need a change, Dr Surin or Korn after reforms of the country and their party have taken place.

The snap election within 2 months was too quick for those things to happen.

I don't think to many Thais want to vote for a man who has been charged with murder... And your right they do need change and the first change I would have made was to contest the elections. The dumb asses had their best chance since 92, instead they boycott and jump behind a madman... Who wants to vote for that?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Dems have really blown it. They got what they needed when new elections were called. They would have had a real shot at winning this election. Their best shot in many years. All they needed to do was to lean on the emotions surrounding the rice scandal and much of the red support would evaporate.

But this is Thailand and all they know is protest and coup. The democratic process never has a chance.

Thailand will not split in two, unless the farmers get paid.

Too much red hatred of Apisit, misplaced in my view, but that's their perception, for the Democrats to win under the current leadership. They need a change, Dr Surin or Korn after reforms of the country and their party have taken place.

The snap election within 2 months was too quick for those things to happen.

I don't think to many Thais want to vote for a man who has been charged with murder... And your right they do need change and the first change I would have made was to contest the elections. The dumb asses had their best chance since 92, instead they boycott and jump behind a madman... Who wants to vote for that?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From past experiences...many

So, who's planning to leave Thailand. I already have a Plan B. Will probably leave for a while anyway, as it's just getting worse and worse and could explode at any time. I don't want to be around when that happens.

If you left, where would you go. My next choice has always been Phnom Penh, but that seems to be going the same way.

Malaysia maybe or Europe for a while. Oh, hang on, there's a civil war about to start there as well.

I agree. Anyone looking to unload their condo please IM me. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom in the Suk area, will pay 500,000 baht today!

• Like 1

I don't see that changing at the polls this time either, as the only way farmers can hope to be paid is to keep those in power that owe them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Might be the only solution just like what happened in India

Not quite the same, as India was partitioned on religious lines, unless you want to split off the bottom 3 provinces. Thaksin plays winner takes all, not half and he wouldn't be interested in being president for life in a poverty stricken country that has no money to pay populist schemes. Even using all the tax money from Bkk and the South he has defaulted on the farmers. If Thaksin was taken out of the equation, there would be no need to consider seperation.

Edited by Dogmatix