Age limit of 45 to study TESOL course?

lovesomtam

I maybe wrong, but I think the mandatory retirement age in Thailand is 60. I know many Thai teachers who were forced to retire when they hit their 60th birthday.

You are correct as per civil servant and government positions such as government schools & universities. Private may not have such policy.

but foreigners can't be civil servants or work directly for the Thai government so this restriction doesn't apply to them. Foreigners in government schools aren't recognized as government employees. They work indirectly for the government at government schools/unis so therefore don't receive the same benefits and aren't covered by the same rules

Sorry to say but you are wrong. We can't be civil servants but we can work directly for the Thai government as I am one that does. Even immigration recognized that when I applied for my annual work extension and they commented on my work permit showing me as a government worker/official. I follow under the exact same guidelines as the Thais at the university I work at and when I hit 60 was informed by the government comptroller including them sending me a copy of the statute that shows the mandatory retirement section. Some who have been significant contributors to Thailand can continue working under annual contracts. And that is where I am now as is my current and previous boss as they reached 60.

Most foreigners and Thais with advanced degrees (PhD) usually get exemptions for a period of time when they hit 60 if they are already working. It is much harder to get a job especially your first teaching job at 60. Most of the older foreigners working at the different schools that I worked at were not hired back after 65. But since the OP is only 46, there is nothing to worry about. he will most likely burn out of teaching way before then. Personally, I feel if one wants to be a teacher and develop their skills, they should probably teach in other countries for a few years before coming to Thailand or be very picky about their employment. I have had a few good positions here with very qualified and effective teachers but also some serious inappropriate behavior and since Thailand is the land of forgiveness/avoidance even those that have no business teaching remain.

I maybe wrong, but I think the mandatory retirement age in Thailand is 60. I know many Thai teachers who were forced to retire when they hit their 60th birthday.

You are correct as per civil servant and government positions such as government schools & universities. Private may not have such policy.

but foreigners can't be civil servants or work directly for the Thai government so this restriction doesn't apply to them. Foreigners in government schools aren't recognized as government employees. They work indirectly for the government at government schools/unis so therefore don't receive the same benefits and aren't covered by the same rules

Sorry to say but you are wrong. We can't be civil servants but we can work directly for the Thai government as I am one that does. Even immigration recognized that when I applied for my annual work extension and they commented on my work permit showing me as a government worker/official. I follow under the exact same guidelines as the Thais at the university I work at and when I hit 60 was informed by the government comptroller including them sending me a copy of the statute that shows the mandatory retirement section. Some who have been significant contributors to Thailand can continue working under annual contracts. And that is where I am now as is my current and previous boss as they reached 60.

I remember reading that a foreigner signs a special contract when working at a Thai government school as only Thais are allowed to work directly for the government. I did a quick Google and haven't found yet. I did find this though:

*link edited out*

As a Thai government worker you will be entitled to a Thai government pension. I have never heard of a foreigner receiving a Thai government pension. Are you entitled to one? Do you receive any of the other benefits a Thai government worker receives?

• Like 1

As a Thai government worker you will be entitled to a Thai government pension. I have never heard of a foreigner receiving a Thai government pension. Are you entitled to one? Do you receive any of the other benefits a Thai government worker receives?

I'll go through my history briefly. When I started working at the university 20 years ago my contract was for direct employment by the university. At that time it was 2 year contracts but regulations changed later to annual only. A few months after getting the position the director called me in and told me he move my position over to a government position. Believe the main purpose was that my salary no longer came from the university/department but direct from the Thai government.

Several years ago, the president of the university came for a visit and was informed of my tenuous position as a contract employee with its problems of getting a new contract each year and possible loss of government funds. He offered me a full staff position at the university and would be under the same exact regulations and entitlements that a Thai employee received. It took 6+ months plus a mountain of documentation from me and many meetings between the university committee for the approval to finally go through. The delay was due in part to the university has never offered a permanent staff position to a foreigner, I was a precedent, and they were creating a whole new position.

I went through the same mechanics for position as the Thais were, I went to the indoctrination hall and had fingerprints taken, photos for ID card, psychological evaluation, etc. My entitlements, including retirement, were the same. I elected lump sum reimbursement after I hit mandatory retirement.

Recently my position has changed again due to another age limit and am working for a government office, autonomous of the university though I still have my old office at the university.

I admit, I may be unique in some aspects of this but not regarding being considered a government employee. I know one foreigner that was not and he was under the university directly working a similar position as I.

But we digress on the OPs topic as at 46 he hasn't a problem. It's nonsense for them to state he is too old for a TESOL course but appears they have some canned guidelines that are not dissimilar to job ads in Thai newspapers with their range of age limits.

• Like 2

I remember reading that a foreigner signs a special contract when working at a Thai government school as only Thais are allowed to work directly for the government. I did a quick Google and haven't found yet. I did find this though:

*link edited out*

I am a a direct government worker but we never heard of any pension benefits to be received by us when retired although we are far from retiring.

That's why we are thinking in advance how's life will be, if we do not start to save some amount now, when we reach retirement age.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous - just like some job ads I've seen. "Not over 30" one said.

A friend is near 70. Totally fit, cycling everywhere and I wish I had his sharp mind... Generalizations don't work.

Older teachers can be young at heart and might handle young learners very well.

Go for it!

"A friend is near 70" true but economically speaking they had their turn and now taking positions from people who need to work disrupts the economy. That is why governments have mandatory retirement age. It isn't always about ability or energy, it is about fresh blood and giving them a chance to become the master.

That's ridiculous - just like some job ads I've seen. "Not over 30" one said.

A friend is near 70. Totally fit, cycling everywhere and I wish I had his sharp mind... Generalizations don't work.

Older teachers can be young at heart and might handle young learners very well.

Go for it!

If I were the boss choosing from old and young applicant who are both qualified for the position, I would choose the fresher one. Not to discriminate old ones but there are more energy and enthusiasm I can see from the young.

I would take a wheel chair and apply in person. If they refuse you, just sue these m-froggers.-w00t.gif

But you are assuming Thailand has an age discrimination law. I don't think so.

It is written into the 2007 constitution but seems generally ignored. Perhaps it's a loop hole as they say Unjust Discrimination. biggrin.png

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate obstacle to or to promote persons’ ability to exercise their rights and liberties as other persons shall not be deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.

2007 Constitution

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Not to stray too far off topic, but in my experience they discriminate in the following areas:

Origin: Because all (insert your favorite country) smell bad, aren't polite.....etc....

Race: Because all (insert your color), smell bad, are stupid, aren't polite....etc....

Age: Because all (insert age) are too old, too young.....etc...

Religious belief: Because all (insert religion) are terrorists....etc...

Physical or health condition: Because he/she is too fat, too thin, not good looking enough....etc...

As far as 'unjust' goes, I am pretty sure that most employers think that they are justified in being prejudiced and discriminating against others.

But all that said, if you are over 45 I would look for a new school to study at.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If anybody knows of a decent place to study a tesol course in BKK I would greatly appreciate any good recommendations .

Kind regards

A lot depends on whether you want to work in an ordinary school teaching children or a language school. There is a huge difference.

Yes, but that does not apply to foreign teachers, there was one at my school age 74.

• Like 1

Yes, but that does not apply to foreign teachers, there was one at my school age 74.

There's a 70+ old British guy who worked at a school in Ubon Ratchathani, but the labor department finally decided that he was too old to work at a school.

Many schools are usually seeking people between 22 and 45, so age can be a big problem.

A younger good looking applicant will always have it easier to find employment, than an experienced, but older job seeker.

Unfortunately, climbing stairs, hopping from classroom to classroom in the age of 74 might be challenging at 40 degrees Celsius.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1