Thai monk vows to continue meditation and fast until peace returns; now on 21st day

webfact

Monk vows to continue meditation and fast until peace returns; now on 21st day
CHANON WONGSATAYANONT
THE NATION

30225632-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- AS THE VIOLENCE intensifies in the days leading up to Sunday's controversial election, a Buddhist monk has made a pledge to meditate and pray continuously without eating or sleeping until peace has been restored to the country.

The Venerable Luang Phor Dee Suwattano said "peace" meant when everything had returned to normal and there was no more political violence in Thailand.

Luang Phor Dee, 57, has been meditating since January 11, and today is the 21st day. Existing solely on water and tea, he has slowly grown weak, and fell ill on January 20.

When the monk became sick, his disciples asked him to drink fruit juice for nourishment so he could continue his meditation.

He is now drinking juice to sustain himself, but he is determined that he will not stop fasting until his goal is achieved.

In a weak and quiet voice, he explained: "Thailand is approaching a dangerous turn, which is the result of everyone forgetting their duties. Everyone should know their duties, particularly the governing bodies, but also the people.

"The government should forget its lust for power and turn to helping its citizens, and the people should vote for true, honest governments."

He also emphasised that he was not fasting in opposition to any particular political group.

"I'm not here to protest against specific people, but I am meditating so that I can make merit for the country and eliminate bad things from Thailand."

Luang Phor Dee is the founder of the Buddhapatana meditation centre in Sa Kaew province. He has been a monk for 12 years.

Danai Chanchaochai, 48, chief executive officer at DC Consultants and Marketing Communication, invited the monk to meditate in the dharma hall at his company's office on the 22nd floor of Amarin Plaza near Chitlom Skytrain station.

Danai said Luang Phor Dee had already been fasting and meditating at a small shrine in Bangkok's Lat Phrao district for 10 days before he heard about him. So he invited the monk to continue his activity in central Bangkok so more people will be aware of Luangpor Dee's pledge, and so Danai could personally look after Luangpor Dee's health.

Danai once spent a whole night meditating with the monk. "Luangpor Dee sat upright in the lotus position the entire time, staying as still as a wax figure," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-31

• Like 2

No sleeping? How to prove that?

If you practice meditation (Anapanasati) earnestly, you can know by yourself. Otherwise you will always live with that doubt, relying in what others say to you.

wai.gif

• Like 2

If you practice meditation (Anapanasati) earnestly, you can know by yourself. Otherwise you will always live with that doubt, relying in what others say to you.

wai.gif

Yes, some deep meditations can achieve a state of mindful consciousness while the body is biologically asleep. Search "dream sleep yoga" for the Tibetan Buddhist techniques. It is possible to have the experience for brief periods - longer periods require serious practice. There are now technological aids, such as binaural beats, that can speed up the training; but cannot bypass the development of mindfulness.

In such times of social stress, it is beneficial to remind Thais that they have a heritage that lies beyond the grasping hands.

• Like 1

wai.gif

blink.png

What is surprising? The Buddha himself said that if you really want to know the truth about something you have to realize it by yourself, not to blindly believe the words of others.

I feel bad for this guy because he will die for what he believes is possible. He will be remembered long after Thaksun abd his sister are gone and forgotten.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You read the OP?

He is not taking sides- but of course you had to!

wai.gif

blink.png

What is surprising? The Buddha himself said that if you really want to know the truth about something you have to realize it by yourself, not to blindly believe the words of others.

Oh, I do know by myself. I don't need Buddha or anyone else telling me.

Very long fasts are not unknown, and 21 days is quiet short in terms of a long fast.

What governs long term fasts is the amount of stored "energy" in way of fats within the body until such times as the body starts to feed off its self by breaking down tissue, at this point the fast stops and starvation commences. From hereon, damage to ones health is now the issue and if prolonged will result in death.

Looking at The Venerable Luang Phor Dee Suwattano, he certainly doesn't look to be carrying excess body weight so this will limit his fast before starvation kicks in. The fruit juice will certainly assist in sustaining him and depending on intake for how long.

Edited by Artisi

Good for him true Buddhist monks are not afraid of death and it is obvious he has a desire to do good.

There was a significant event of the timeline of how the Vietnam war was seen in the West when a Vietnamese monk burned himself to death to raise the issue internationally. It would be good if the BBC could report on this very human dimension to this awful dilemna and crossroads Thailand finds itself in. Am in Rangsit at the moment might go and visit him if it is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thich_Quang_Duc

• Like 1

Why doesn't Suthep do the same? Fast until the UK steps down. Looks like he could lose some weight.

And Chalerm should reciprocate until the protesters leave the various sites.

At least these two would look more presentable on TV and jumbo-trons.

Edited by tomyummer