Auto Trivia

bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after it met a Spitfire the engine would be the right way up .Well spotted Jitar .biggrin.png

Massive debate about the comparison is performance of these 2 planes.......Spitfire pilots didn't like meeting ME109s at all

Don't think they liked meeting anything but many 109's were taken out.

Here's one, what was the BIG problem with a 109 if the pilot had to bail out .? whistling.gif

And what did the 109 have that the Spit/hurricane did not have in the early days that was a winner. ?

1. A cramped cockpit?

2. A 20 mm cannon? (But in later versions think.)

Jeez,... this topic has brought out the Coffin Dodgers, there will be a question on what car does this Starting Handle come from next.thumbsup.gif

That is my next one............giggle.gif

Lot of un-answered above though...........whistling.gif

Edited by transam

OK, as you have all given up on a few answers. rolleyes.gif

My 50 quid nitrous fill would give me ONE mile at 250hp. sad.png

Me 109 did not have a sliding canopy for exit. w00t.gif

Me 109 had a 20mm canon where a Spit or Hurricane had to get in real close for their .303 MG to do anything. sad.png

Yep, now I recall that hylomar, yellow and blue pack, sealer was blue, had as used on RR. I used it.

Good one. thumbsup.gif

Its recommended solvent was Meths; petrol, oil, kerosene would have no effect on it and it would never harden. Required a minute amount on each face to be effective. Still about the best of its type on the market.

Yep, now I recall that hylomar, yellow and blue pack, sealer was blue, had as used on RR. I used it.

Good one. thumbsup.gif

Its recommended solvent was Meths; petrol, oil, kerosene would have no effect on it and it would never harden. Required a minute amount on each face to be effective. Still about the best of its type on the market.

It didn't work on my hedder flanges sad.png . I found a ''copper'' silicone sealer, it worked. Course when I applied it I had to start the engine to blast away sqeased out internal stuff, but it worked...thumbsup.gif

Should have a new Forum what's all the above crap got to do with motoring. Unless you need to go to the pub and play bingo.

Cos we are not boring like yourself. rolleyes.gif ...Gawd 'elp us.

Just for you, look at the posts, do you think folk have learned something..?.........Yes they have. May not interest you but it interests folk outside YOUR circle...............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Good one. thumbsup.gif

It didn't work on my hedder flanges sad.png . I found a ''copper'' silicone sealer, it worked. Course when I applied it I had to start the engine to blast away sqeased out internal stuff, but it worked...thumbsup.gif

Worked pretty well on hastily built 12 cylinder supercharged monsters though.

Wilcopops Some say from the Citroen DS. But Rover always bolted on wings n things , the Di Dion rear end was newish for a Brit Car . just guessingfacepalm.gif

Yes - It was the DS/ID. but it was the SHAPE - Rover owned one and put it in a wind tunnel (Long after the "bolt on" idea - also from Andre Citroen - who also pioneered monocoque construction).

The basic original shape can be seen on the 4 door Gas Turbine salon which still had the "droop-snoot).

The 2000 has a lot of basic concepts in common with the DS - a 2 litre family saloon, all round independent suspension etc - in the end for marketing and engineering reasons Rover made a lot of compromises down the way. (No hydro-puematics and rear wheel drive) Body-wise they lost the sloping back window and chopped off the low resistance snout. Take a look also at the roofline and rear pillars.

Issigonis and Moulton were also very interested in the Citroen's suspension systems, both the sophisticated Hydraulics and the 2Cv's system.

Originally Mouton's ideas of lumps of rubber were applied to the mini and then of course BL adopted their "own" simplified gas/oil systems.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/1961_Rover_T4_Gas_Turbine_Prototype_Heritage_Motor_Centre%2C_Gaydon.jpg/800px-1961_Rover_T4_Gas_Turbine_Prototype_Heritage_Motor_Centre%2C_Gaydon.jpg

Edited by wilcopops

Good one. thumbsup.gif

Worked pretty well on hastily built 12 cylinder supercharged monsters though.

And why did I have a problem and perhaps the Merlin didn't on the hedder (exhaust manifold) flanges ? smile.png

I think the reason for my seal problem is clear looking at the photos, Merlin had 4 bolts per exhaust port and no exhaust system to navigate and operated at under 3000rpm, my Pontiac had 2 bolts for 2 outer ports and 2 bolts for the Siamese ports and operated up to just under 7000rpm through an exhaust system. Plus my ports were opened up bigger than those in the photo.

post-41816-0-09506800-1391316677_thumb.j............post-41816-0-57153100-1391316710_thumb.j

Edited by transam

No googling now smile.png , in my opinion the Chevy small block V8 engine is one of the best most simplistic engineering manufacture designs ever and is still going strong near 60 years on.

My question, how many do you think have been produced ?

Jeez,... this topic has brought out the Coffin Dodgers, there will be a question on what car does this Starting Handle come from next.thumbsup.gif

My 1929 Austin7 had a starting handle, I would recognize it anywhere biggrin.png

Me tooooooooo...............laugh.png

post-41816-0-44921700-1391324231_thumb.j

For some reason the UK could not design a reliable V8 engine for ''non'' expensive larger rides until the the trusted Rover V8 came along. Fitted in Rover, MG and TVR etc rides. But it wasn't designed by Rover. Who designed it ? smile.png