Auto Trivia

bazmlb

The jerry's engine is upside down.

Correct........thumbsup.gif (inverted V)

Inverted airplane piston engines is no big deal.

Transam said "Forget fuel delivery" Why? That's a lot more important than the positioning of the engine.

The Merling had carburetors while the DB 600 - 605 had direct fuel injection, thus the Bf 109 could fly inverted without the engine stopping.

Someone said "Merlin had a supercharger". So did the DB engines though single stage ones instead of the Merlins two stage ones.

Another question. What's so special with the Junkers Jumo 205 when it comes to airplane engines?

Why, because it was my question thumbsup.gif .

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One to think about overnight. Sure you have all heard of Nitrous Oxide Injection and how it can perhaps double the horse power of a piston engine with the correct amount of added fuel.

When do you think it was first used.?

WWII aircraft?

Yep, Luftwaffe used it in 1940, rascals..smile.png

The jerry's engine is upside down.

Correct........thumbsup.gif (inverted V)

Inverted airplane piston engines is no big deal.

Transam said "Forget fuel delivery" Why? That's a lot more important than the positioning of the engine.

The Merling had carburetors while the DB 600 - 605 had direct fuel injection, thus the Bf 109 could fly inverted without the engine stopping.

Someone said "Merlin had a supercharger". So did the DB engines though single stage ones instead of the Merlins two stage ones.

Another question. What's so special with the Junkers Jumo 205 when it comes to airplane engines?

Why, because it was my question thumbsup.gif .

A guessing one (perhaps).

I had Nitrous Oxide injection on my fun ride (car), it could deliver a ''possible'' extra 250hp. The bottle fill of gas was 15 lb's in weight, which if l recall cost me 50 quid (UKP) to refill. sad.png

I only used it at the drag strip, so here's my question. The drag strip is quarter mile long, and each run took mid 11 seconds, how many quarter mile runs added together would l get for my 50 quid in miles. ?

There is a by-product of the Merlin Engine still readily available in most motoring shops in the UK (and elsewhere).....still made under licence from Rolls Royce. Anyone know what it is and why?

Not sure about ''by-product'', that seems like something the engine is making and sold on. smile.png

Glycol.

It was a product develped by RR during WW2 and is still on sale throughout UK and else where, still made under licence to RR.

In 1963 General Motors Holden released an Iconic Aussie motor car.

Fast Forward to 1972 - My question is...was it a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night at the drive in that I finally got into Sylvia Smiths pants?biggrin.png

Trick question...I never got into Sylvia Smiths pants.....though I tried hard sad.png

In 1963 General Motors Holden released an Iconic Aussie motor car.

Fast Forward to 1972 - My question is...was it a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night at the drive in that I finally got into Sylvia Smiths pants?biggrin.png

Trick question...I never got into Sylvia Smiths pants.....though I tried hard sad.png

She told me...........coffee1.gif

A guessing one (perhaps).

I had Nitrous Oxide injection on my fun ride (car), it could deliver a ''possible'' extra 250hp. The bottle fill of gas was 15 lb's in weight, which if l recall cost me 50 quid (UKP) to refill. sad.png

I only used it at the drag strip, so here's my question. The drag strip is quarter mile long, and each run took mid 11 seconds, how many quarter mile runs added together would l get for my 50 quid in miles. ?

No guesses ?...........smile.png

So after it met a Spitfire the engine would be the right way up .Well spotted Jitar .biggrin.png

Massive debate about the comparison is performance of these 2 planes.......Spitfire pilots didn't like meeting ME109s at all

Don't think they liked meeting anything but many 109's were taken out.

Here's one, what was the BIG problem with a 109 if the pilot had to bail out .? whistling.gif

And what did the 109 have that the Spit/hurricane did not have in the early days that was a winner. ?

Edited by transam

don't really matter we kicked the German <deleted> they lost the war cheesy.gif

They lost the war cos many countries came together to do the job. That is the only reason. OH, forgot, and Adolph made a big mistake and invaded Russia. You really should read some history.

BUT, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic. Try and answer a few of my FUN questions eh....thumbsup.gif

I notice no-one's got the Rolls-Royce Merlin spin-off product

Yes, you got me on that one. sad.png

Thought perhaps the anti-freeze but................

They were knocking out the alloy castings at a prodigious rate during the war and the QC wasn't that good, to compensate for a lack of perfect joint surfaces, they developed a jointing compound. Hylomar made under licence from RR, is still available today and is especially good for alloy engines. As a result my RGS was about the only BSA that didn't leak oil.