I Dont Understand Why Rich Thais In Bangkok Buy Expensive Cars

crazyguyinthailand

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that the OP has just not been in Thailand long enough to understand and he's not thinking like a Thai. Things of high status & price give you face in Thai society and appearance is all that counts.

• Like 1

Difference in Asia with the face thing is that these people with these overpriced cars, are very often NOT rich. They certainly don't live a rich lifestyle.

They own an expensive car AND THAT'S It! They live in a disgusting accommodation, with roaches and rats running amok, cheap arse flip flops and old clothes. Can't take many trips anywhere (and probably have little interest).

Chinese and Thai-Chinese are big offenders.

Now, there are of course actually rich Thais, but they are FAR fewer in number than most think.

And Westerners don't do the same thing???? Buying houses and cars they cannot afford kicked off the financial crisis in the West......

was it the buying which caused the Crisis, or not being able to repay the loans ?

My friend here in BKK works for loan company, and every day they are repossessing from Car owners, top to bottom of the tree.

Why do American, especially old and fat male Americans buy humongous super-cab pickup diesel trucks with double rear wheels (so 4 wheels in the back) and then never, ever carry anything home heavier then the groceries?

Sort'a the same reason with a twist.

Face (it).

• Like 1

What does your question have to do with the price of the cars?

I guess any car will be equally slow in a jam?

Second thought: I'd wonder why they would drive themselves in BKK - it's seriously lo-so to not have a driver then.

I later wanted to change the headline to Exclusive cars.

Too soon to be trying out for the dumbest post of the year isnt it?

What does your question have to do with the price of the cars?

I guess any car will be equally slow in a jam?

Second thought: I'd wonder why they would drive themselves in BKK - it's seriously lo-so to not have a driver then.

I almost always have a driver when i am in Bangkok traffic except the vehicle is nearly always a bright pink or a green & yellow corolla. Does that make me Hi -so.smile.png

Years ago, I used to come back from meetings in Chatuansao. Sometimes I'd be 3 hours without moving. Fortunately I could close my eyes and listen to the news in English while my driver sat at the wheel.

I wouldn't have said no to a luxury car where you could shut out the noisy world, watch tv, drink some wine, play on the Internet, play with my secretary? Come on, I know which I'd choose without a second thought

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bangkok traffic jams can be bad no doubt, but have you ever ben in a serious traffic jam in Manila, or Mumbai or the mother of all, in New Delhi?

Alady picked me up in her car to go to a restaurant one evening. My Hotel was was steps from a BTS station. We drove what appeared to be no more than a mile in very heavy traffic and took about an hour. When we got to the restaurant, I noticed there was a BTS station just a few steps from the restaurant. I asked her why we didn't take the BTS and save gas, aggravation and time? She looked at me as if I had two heads. She answered "because I have a car"!!

• Like 1

Most if not all major cities around the world have exactly the same problem with traffic and you see high end cars there too. If you had a choice of sitting in a scrap or quality what would you chose. Personaly I'm a motor cyclist and own both, I prefer to get there quicker but also sit in the traffic in luxury some times.

Simple answer 'cause they can

Why would you buy a Benz when you can reach the same place with a Nissan Micra?

Why would you buy a few big houses when all you need is a one bedroom flat?

Why would you fly first class when you can make plenty of great new friends in the cattle class?

Why would you drive a Lamborghini when you know you will be following slow trucks most of the time?

Why would you want to build an extra large swimming pool while you can chill as well when taking a quick shower?

Why would you buy a million baht Breguet watch when a cheap mobile phone already gives you the time?

Why would you need that expensive yacht while you could be spending a great day on a speed boat tour with plenty a nice Chinese families?

But... If you can enjoy these things, why would you keep all your money sleeping on a bank account?

Life is short. Enjoy what you can :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I suspect some envy within the post of the OP. I do not blame him if there is, as I had the same opinion when I first came to live in Thailand in 1974. Later I drove cautiously around in a stolen military jeep (I did not steal it) for two years until I got on my feet. As business developed our first priority was the house, furnishings and a comfortable lifestyle at home. The last consideration was a luxury car that would depreciate in value.

Now 40 years later, we have a Cayman, a Cayenne plus a Ford Ranger for the shopping trips to Makro etc. Why? Simply because we can afford it and I write off the cost against the business. We have homes elsewhere in Thailand apart from Bkk and driving to them in a luxury SUV and arriving fresh and relaxed sure beats driving around in an old jeep.

Although it has taken me 40 years to ‘arrive’; the pleasure gained from achieving this and remembering how I often walked to a local store (and beat the traffic) and the thought ‘one day I will have a decent motor like all these other guys’ gave me the impetus to carve out a decent life here. I came here with 450 dollars US and wore bleached out military fatigues that I tailored myself. I suspect you guys all started with very much more.

• Like 2

Because we can!

Exactly, and because we would never wait for a free, or any other, bus, and if we had to go to Big C, we would send someone; the dude you saw was probably headed for a nice little spot

Edited by smotherb
  • Like 1

Most if not all major cities around the world have exactly the same problem with traffic and you see high end cars there too. If you had a choice of sitting in a scrap or quality what would you chose. Personaly I'm a motor cyclist and own both, I prefer to get there quicker but also sit in the traffic in luxury some times.

Simple answer 'cause they can

Because we can!

Exactly, and because we would never wait for a free, or any other, bus, and if we had to go to Big C, we would send someone; the dude you saw was probably headed for a nice little spot

I am still grateful that we can concentrate all those pesky pedestrians in busses, that frees up more space for the motorcycles on the walkway and leave the roads for what they were original designed for: cars!

Wouldn't you also drive a fancy car, if money doesn't seem to be a problem? We've got a guy with a Ferrari here in Sisaket.

Dies he drive around a lot. No, it's an extension of his penis, like everywhere on this planet.-wai2.gif

I honestly wouldn't. If I really needed a car and could afford it, a decent nice one...ok. But there is absolutely no need for a super car or rolls etc.

That is whats wrong with the world, people should use what they need and not be wasteful. All things in moderation, as a wise man once said.

Why would you buy a Benz when you can reach the same place with a Nissan Micra?

Why would you buy a few big houses when all you need is a one bedroom flat?

Why would you fly first class when you can make plenty of great new friends in the cattle class?

Why would you drive a Lamborghini when you know you will be following slow trucks most of the time?

Why would you want to build an extra large swimming pool while you can chill as well when taking a quick shower?

Why would you buy a million baht Breguet watch when a cheap mobile phone already gives you the time?

Why would you need that expensive yacht while you could be spending a great day on a speed boat tour with plenty a nice Chinese families?

But... If you can enjoy these things, why would you keep all your money sleeping on a bank account?

Life is short. Enjoy what you can rolleyes.gif

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people believe (myself included) that if you are lucky enough to have so much, then you have a responsibility to do something good with it, not just wallow in your own decadence.

Take only what you need, give something back.