Abhisit won't cast his vote in 'unconstitutional election' today

Lite Beer

Abhisit won't cast his vote in 'unconstitutional election' today
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday declared that he would not cast his vote today.

"Tomorrow, I won't go to exercise my voting right because this election is unconstitutional and it will not achieve the goal of an election under the democratic system," Abhisit posted on his Facebook wall.

He said he would not inform the Election Commission of his decision to not vote because it did not meet the reasons sanctioned by the EC for a voter to skip an election.

The Democrat Party leader said he decided to announce his decision in advance as he did not want anyone to cause trouble at the polling station at Sawasdee Withaya School in the Sukhumvit area where he normally casts his ballot.

Abhisit said earlier that Democrat members could make their own decisions on whether or not to go out and vote in today's snap election.

In reaction to the Democrat leader's statement that the election was unconstitutional, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she discounted Abhisit's remarks as the 2007 Constitution was not written by her government but by the coup-maker-sponsored government. The Abhisit government also agreed with the charter and even the EC was set up according to the charter, she said.

Yingluck said she would go to vote today and asked the protesters not to obstruct the election.

"I have to beg the people that if they obstruct the election, we won't be able to answer the questions from foreign countries because the election process is a part of the people's basic rights and freedom," she said.

She said she had raised concerns over possible violence.

Yingluck spoke on her way to the Office of the permanent secretary for Defence to monitor the situation with some Cabinet members and representatives from the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order.

Yingluck's social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram said they would stop posting messages until 9am tomorrow to prevent violation of election law.

Meanwhile, Wiratana Kalayasiri, a former Democrat MP from Songkhla, filed a complaint with the Office of the Ombuds-man on Friday, asking it to seek a Constitutional Court ruling to invalidate today's general elections. He said the elections could not be held in a single day, which would be a violation of Section 108 of the Constitution.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-02

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Under election rules if the Goebbelesque PDRC do not vote themselves Sunday they will lose their entitlement to run in future polls,...and they know it. Maybe this is what they meant when insisting "winner take all."

Thank God for that! I was beginning to think that the little public school puppet had disappeared into thin air! If ever there was a disgrace to the world of politics it must be this man, devoid of any morals or backbone, kicked in the goolies by his own Deputy PM, and now a mere figure of fun. With him as leader, is it any wonder that any one of my cats would have more chance of being elected to Government than the laughingly named "Democrat" Party!

Dems amended the very same constitution when they were in power - so HOW is it unconstitutional???

what a hypocrite!!!

What does having amended the constitution have to do with whether the election is constitutional or not?

because it is the very same constitution he 'could have' reformed but chose not to and the election is fully within that constitution

should you not be turning this on its head? the question surely is WHY does Abhisit say it is "unconstitutional" and WHY he and his thug Suthep did not put in reforms when they were in power?

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2

Dems amended the very same constitution when they were in power - so HOW is it unconstitutional???

what a hypocrite!!!

What does having amended the constitution have to do with whether the election is constitutional or not?

because it is the very same constitution he 'could have' reformed but chose not to and the election is fully within that constitution

should you not be turning this on its head? the question surely is WHY does Abhisit say it is "unconstitutional" and WHY he and his thug Suthep did not put in reforms when they were in power?

Yes, the question should be "why does he say that it's unconstitutional". The Democrats having amended the constitution in 2011 doesn't make any difference as to whether it is or not.

The Democrats did make some reforms while they were in government, but they were in power with a coalition government, so it wasn't simple for them to make wholesale reform changes. Even with the reforms that they did make, it was still difficult to get them through parliament with the slim majority that they had.

• Like 1

Abhisit: Coward, not interested in reform when he held the reigns of the government three short years ago. Still as of today has not given a viable plan to reform Thailand. Did not perform his duty as a minister, now as a citizen.

Suthep: Coward, not interested in reform when he held the reigns of the government three years ago. Has brought Bangkok to her knees outside of government when his duty as an elected official was to serve the people who elected him. The worst kind of hypocrite there is.

Thaksin: COWARD in capital letters. Ran away from a slap on the wrist jail sentence. He would not have served a day of that time for unspeakable crimes against Thailand. Sits abroad with his wounded ego trying to destroy that which he claime to love.

A Sad day for Thailand.

I would have thought it was a bad move by Abhisit not to vote but he knows more about whether the election is unconstitutional than me so maybe he's right .

I don't agree with Suthep's tactics as far as I've seen them although i do agree there needs to be reform before elections.

As for being cowards, maybe but neither of them took up the amnesty offered to them over their murder charges.

As for Thaksin I don't think it's the 2 year sentence that's the issue but the other charges waiting for him.

I don't think if Taksin would have came in... i really think he wouldn't have come out... I believe already(in the past) they had 'hitmen' after him...that is when he dissappeared and nobody knew where he was... so imagine what prison life would have been? as they say in his case, "get the rope"... better for him.

whatever happen to Abhisit's murder conviction... conveniently went away?

If you want to know how Thai's feel about Suthep... go to facebook... one had is face placed on a crying baby face... another pic of him with a penis(ok to say?) coming out his head, indicating he is a d...head to most thai's... quit interesting what you find by the older generation thai's on fb(about this problem)... the kids are still indulging on how cute they look sticking their tongues out on fb... or how japanese fragility they can look...

" Yingluck's social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram said they would stop posting messages until 9am tomorrow to prevent violation of election law. "

Probably the only time Pheu Thai has ever adhered to the law, and no one noticed !

Indeed, Article 108 will nullify this election.

• Like 1