Thai editorial: Anti-graft fight another major political casualty

webfact

Last year, the second phase of the National Anti-Corruption Commission's road map began. The five-year plan, which followed five mostly fruitless years of the first stage

Fruitless, except for bananas.

I think the only way corruption can change in Thailand is if the two most highly respected institutions in Thailand, the Royal family and the Buddhist institution, start a massive anti-corruption campaign and program. Until then it will only get worse and become even more socially acceptable which is why it will not get any better as long as people believe corruption is okay especially if I or my family benefit from it. And believing the politicians will really do anything about corruption is like the problem solving the problem it just will not happen.

The only way to stop corruption in Thailand is to use western people. The chance of corruption amongst thai people is simply too high especially when it has been shown that the majority of thais think graft/corruption is fine as long as they are getting some of it(as reported by thai news last year). The agencies involved need people that cannot be bought in the leadership, this includes the police because all the official positions are rife with corruption, with the right people corruption in all govt agencies even the politicians would slow dramatically but thais will never let non thais tell them what to do so it is simply hopeless and will never happen. I would like to think that thai people can control this themselves but cannot see it, there are many that are honest but they are not in a position to do anything as the only ones in high positions are those that can afford it and they just become richer.

• Like 1

There is no leadership will to rid Thailand of corruption. Sight horizon is too short and there is not enough substance to the character of Thai leaders. In fact there are no Thai leaders with the sufficient intellect, charisma, vision, power of persuasion. It would be good to see a leadership debate of Thai leaders advocating their methodology for attacking corruption and abuse of law by the privileged class.

There are three problems. The first is that "corruption" is not seen by Thais in the same way as viewed by Western standards. In Thailand it is morally acceptable to give an inducement if the donor benefits in some way. The second problem is that "corruption" is endemic. Politics and politicians are just the visible tip of the ice berg; it affects all walks of life and all levels in Thai society. The third problem is that erradicating corruption is being treated as a short-term problem. It will take generations to eliminate most of the corruption in Thailand, but it will never be completely erradicated.

A lack of public awareness is hardly a problem; the majority of Thais are all too well aware of the existence of corruption, and are, apparently, happy to benefit from it. The problem in the case of the public is the same as that of the politicians - a lack of will. And the public demonstrating the will to tackle corruption would be much more effective than any action that politicians might commit to.

As lumbered down as the NACC is - imaging heading an agency that intends to clamp down on corruption in Thailand ? - it is one of the few things that are in the way of Thaksin - so by that measure it is already doing some good. For the NACC to be truly effective - they should be well-staffed and well-funded. Also, their edicts must be fully recognized and respected, and adhered to. When Pheu Thai goes out of its way to cast doubt on all the institutions of government oversight - what they are really doing is attacking the very institutions that are protecting the public from them.

Edited by Scamper

A lack of public awareness is hardly a problem; the majority of Thais are all too well aware of the existence of corruption, and are, apparently, happy to benefit from it. The problem in the case of the public is the same as that of the politicians - a lack of will. And the public demonstrating the will to tackle corruption would be much more effective than any action that politicians might commit to.

I think further on from this is the lack of protection for those who would come forward and expose corruption.

There is little incentive for people to come forward as 'whistle-blowers',(in the original sense), when they can easily get a quiet visit late at night to discourage them, knowing full-well that the police they should report it to are either in on the game or equally as fearful of the godfathers.

When someone as corrupt as Chalerm can not only influence a murder investigation, but also end up as deputy Prime Minister, and the whole country knows it as fact, what message does that send the little guy?

• Like 1

I think the only way corruption can change in Thailand is if the two most highly respected institutions in Thailand, the Royal family and the Buddhist institution, start a massive anti-corruption campaign and program. Until then it will only get worse and become even more socially acceptable which is why it will not get any better as long as people believe corruption is okay especially if I or my family benefit from it. And believing the politicians will really do anything about corruption is like the problem solving the problem it just will not happen.

Sorry the Royals do not intervene in this matter. The Buddhists even show side in this conflict. This should change very soon.

If somebody want to get rid of the corruption they have to start with the Royal Thai Police. They are the caretakers of the anti corruption offencive I suppose will come. Take all the Polices tea-money away. They will not accept anybody ells taking tea- money.. Or do it the Chinese way, shoot the head of them.