Did PM Yingluck mix up her ballot boxes?

webfact

Did PM mix up her ballot boxes?
The Nation

30225879-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra may have bungled while casting her ballots by dropping her two ballot papers in the wrong ballot boxes, according to a blogger who scrutinised a clip of the PM exercising her voting right in yesterday's poll.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra may have bungled while casting her ballots by dropping her two ballot papers in the wrong ballot boxes, according to a blogger who scrutinised a clip of the PM exercising her voting right in yesterday's poll.

The blogger posted his observation at http://www.oknation.net/blog/mindhand/2014/02/02/entry-1, asking if the PM's ballot papers would be regarded as void since she dropped her party-list ballot paper into the constituency ballot box and dropped the constituency ballot paper into the party-list ballot box.

He blogged that he suspected Yingluck was busy posing for photographers to take her pictures and was not aware she had switched the ballot papers while dropping them into the boxes.

After several rounds of scrutinising the clip of Yingluck casting her ballots shown on Nation Channel, the blogger said he spotted the blunder because the constituency ballot paper was orange and the party list ballot paper purple.

He captured the images |from the clip and posted them on the blog. He also called the Bangkok Election Commission |to enquire if the PM's ballot papers would be nullified. The election officials replied that dropping ballot papers in the wrong boxes would not result in the ballot papers being invalidated.

Yingluck said she had dropped her ballot papers in the wrong boxes on the advice of an election official and she informed the Election Commission after realising the mistake. She thanked |voters who went to the poll to protect democracy.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-03

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suthep will have a field day with that.

Yes, but even some anti-govt people on FB have conceded it's the EC officer's fault. They tell you which box to put it in. They also apparently instructed others wrongly too. Of course, I probably would've checked myself to make sure it was the right box, but you wouldn't expect these people to get something so simple wrong.

• Like 1

Can't put all the blame on the official - she clearly gestures to the PM to put the ballot in the box (for the photo op), but does not seem to actually look at the ballot - I guess she assumed the PM would be holding the right piece of paper. Many times people "banks/immigration/police stations" have asked me to check an incorrect box/fill an incorrect space - all I say is "But i thought I had to fill in this one." "Apologies sir, my mistake"

Edited by SABloke