Evinrude Outboard knowledge or 2 hand outboard max 60 hp

Khun Robert

Hello boat lovers,

I have a 60 HP Evinrude outboard on a small speedboat.

The problem is that as far as I can get information there is no mechanic with knowledge of Evinrude in the are of Krabi.

The engine stops working when we put it in gear.

Neutral it is running good, after shift in gear it stops within minutes.

If you have any knowledge or know somebody with knowledge about Evinrude outboards please contact me.

If you know a place where we can get spare parts please contact me.

The engine is old, and knowing there is no dealership in Thailand maybe the best thing is to replace.

If you have an outboard laying around the house with maximum 60 HP, please contact me.

Thanks

Robert.

Edited by Khun Robert

What does it sound like when it quits? Does it just shut off, or does it bog down and more slowly quit? Does it get hot?

If it bogs down and quits and is hot, it might be the rubber water pump impeller in the lower unit causing it to overheat. They get old and cracked. It isn't hard to replace and you could inspect it. If you need it you'd have to order it from the states along with a gasket.

Edited by NeverSure

The engine runs good in stationary, but when put in gear it sounds like he is slowly going down and shuts off.

Restart only possible when trim the engine up and pump new gasolline inside.

for me it looks like the gasoline pump is not functioning when really needed.

But Im not a mechanic. I had a Mercury mechanic and he has the same idea, gasoline pump and maybe dirty carburators.

He does not want to open the engine for good check, due of no spare parts and not enough knowledge about Evinrude.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also look at your power packs. I have had Suzuki's Evinrude Johnson & Yamahas. my 40 hp Suzuki 2 stroke developed a small nick in the wire going into the ignition module & when it was engaged in gear it would ground one of the 2 power packs out shudder & smolder out. A new power pack fixed it. Check your electrical first. That is the 1st part that always seems to have problems if your fuel situation was fine before this started.The 40's 60's 90's & up 2 strokes are basically all the same in design & breakdowns.

You could have water in your fuel. Old tanks often have this problem due to condensation and leaks around the hose/tank connection. Check that first before taking the entire engine apart. Just empty your tank in some clear plastic containers, and if water is inside it will float to the top and us easily seen.

• 4 weeks later...

I had similar problem on my 100hp carburator Evinrude. Had mechanichs from Phuket coming over. He immediately told me its the gasoline, which isnt more than 80-90% gasoline the rest alchohol. Fair enough he cleaned the carburator and fuel system, and problem gone. Best to run it on the most expensive gas, which has less alcohol

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app